Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2018 in Revenue - Customs Trade Facilitation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Paddy2018 wrote: »
    A friend who has a OOM 19 for Dublin was contacted this morning by Revenue and offered an immediate role in Dublin. She turned it down in the hope that she will be offered her first choice (Wexford) at some later stage. Either they are making offers to an additional amount of candidates or some of the top ten have backed out.

My sister was oom no. 3 Dublin. Turned it down, as Cork is her first choice

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dalio

Kenny2079 wrote: »
    The first 10 or so have been issued contracts and training start on Monday. (I’m in that group)

The next group to be taken in will be in Jan.

First well done you. And I assume the next group will also come from Batch 1. I can't see the interviews happening for Batch 2 before Xmas if results are only out in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭greenb

A friend who has a OOM 19 for Dublin was contacted this morning by Revenue and offered an immediate role in Dublin. She turned it down in the hope that she will be offered her first choice (Wexford) at some later stage. Either they are making offers to an additional amount of candidates or some of the top ten have backed out.

I've heard they expect a 1 in 3 drop out rate for various reasons.

greenb wrote: »
    I've heard they expect a 1 in 3 drop out rate for various reasons.

I hope you're right ☺ it will move faster for us all

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

Hey all, so I'm currently working in this area so have an idea of what is happening roughly. Just to give people an idea.

The plan at the moment is this. There have already been 18 new staff (all internal revenue) trained and started in Dublin.

There is another 15 (I think) new staff starting training Monday that will be starting duty early to mid December for Dublin.

Then at some point in January 200 new staff nationwide will be trained (depending on Brexit negotiations).

That will probably be all the staff trained until Brexit actually happens. But there may be more further down the year depending on how the cookie crumbles.

Hope that helps

• Advertisement

plibige wrote: »
    Hey all, so I'm currently working in this area so have an idea of what is happening roughly. Just to give people an idea.

The plan at the moment is this. There have already been 18 new staff (all internal revenue) trained and started in Dublin.

There is another 15 (I think) new staff starting training Monday that will be starting duty early to mid December for Dublin.

Then at some point in January 200 new staff nationwide will be trained (depending on Brexit negotiations).

That will probably be all the staff trained until Brexit actually happens. But there may be more further down the year depending on how the cookie crumbles.

Hope that helps

Do you have a rough idea of how the 200 will be split by location?

Also, when you say "depending on Brexit negotiations", does this mean that if there's a transition period where the UK remains in customs union, then hiring will stop?

Thanks!

Do you have a rough idea of how the 200 will be split by location?

Also, when you say "depending on Brexit negotiations", does this mean that if there's a transition period where the UK remains in customs union, then hiring will stop?

Thanks!

No unfortunately not, but from what I can gather nobody seems to know how the 200 will be split. Basically there are capacity issues with all areas of the country. So its people way higher than me that are deciding this split (and are still deciding).

Not stop, but slow down, the words "drips and drabs" were used to describe how many will be taken on in a transition period. Basically courses of 15 or so every couple of months

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

No unfortunately not, but from what I can gather nobody seems to know how the 200 will be split. Basically there are capacity issues with all areas of the country. So its people way higher than me that are deciding this split (and are still deciding).

Not stop, but slow down, the words "drips and drabs" were used to describe how many will be taken on in a transition period. Basically courses of 15 or so every couple of months

Thanks for keeping us updated. We will all be hoping for a hard brexit so!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dubted

Hi thanks for that...do you know if there is definitely a class starting in January as seems to have been much spoken about on here?

Dubted wrote: »
    Hi thanks for that...do you know if there is definitely a class starting in January as seems to have been much spoken about on here?

Yes there will be a course or multiple course in January. As of this week its planned 200 people will be training then.

Unless Brexit is completely stopped i can't see no training happening in January so take it it is happening.

• Advertisement

Yes there will be a course or multiple course in January. As of this week its planned 200 people will be training then.

Unless Brexit is completely stopped i can't see no training happening in January so take it it is happening.

Thanks. There is some hope for those of us so a bit lower down the pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 googleted

Hi there thanks for your updates so far. As a person on the inside so to speak do you ever see a time when opportunities might become available for HEO's in Customs given the current climate? Or is it the case you need to be within the Revenue family to apply internally and that will not change? Thanks again.

googleted wrote: »
    Hi there thanks for your updates so far. As a person on the inside so to speak do you ever see a time when opportunities might become available for HEO's in Customs given the current climate? Or is it the case you need to be within the Revenue family to apply internally and that will not change? Thanks again.

No it could definitely happen, but its tougher. Like customs is kind of its own animal, so customs experienced people will be looked at first.

Then they would look for Revenue staff. But you are talking generally about an allowance position so more than likely it will be filled by Revenue staff or customs staff through promotion.

Its far more common to look for CO's/EO's from other departments than HEO's. Just due to the nature of customs

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Annie K64

Just out of curiosity I emailed PAS and they said there are no vacancies in Wexford at the moment

Annie K64 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity I emailed PAS and they said there are no vacancies in Wexford at the moment

So why did they bother recruiting for Wexford? Just seems a massive waste of people's time and expenses.

weadick wrote: »
    So why did they bother recruiting for Wexford? Just seems a massive waste of people's time and expenses.

Exactly what I was thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

Exactly what I was thinking

I am shocked by this because I taught revenue were now the ones dealing with where people were going? Not pas like in other competitions

Also with the information another poster gratefully provided if they haven't decided how to split the 200 new intakes up then technically there are no vaccines at this time.

Surely they couldn't have called up batch 2 to sit tests if they didn't think at least some in batch 1 would be placed.

gizmo23 wrote: »
    I am shocked by this because I taught revenue were now the ones dealing with where people were going? Not pas like in other competitions

Also with the information another poster gratefully provided if they haven't decided how to split the 200 new intakes up then technically there are no vaccines at this time.

Surely they couldn't have called up batch 2 to sit tests if they didn't think at least some in batch 1 would be placed.

PAD said no vacancies in wexford at the moment and revenue will be in touch if they reach my oom

PAD said no vacancies in wexford at the moment and revenue will be in touch if they reach my oom

PAS

That's what I was thinking there well technically be no vacancies till they decided what intake is required in each of 3 areas. That's my understanding of it anyway.

It's down to revenue on how to split the 200 intake in January.

• Advertisement

Anyone got any info on what the highest oom is that has already had an offer? I know 19 was the highest mentioned here so far.

Just want to put this out there and get opinions (all pure speculation I know).

The more I read about Brexit the more I think the most likely outcome will be:

1. Uncertainty at least up to the end of January while ratification of any proposed deal goes through the UK and European parliaments.

2. Nothing will change in terms of customs procedures for at least a couple of years.
    (transition period).

In those circumstances, what is likely to happen in terms of hiring? And what are those already hired in to the roles going to be doing?

Would love to hear particularly from anybody already working in customs or revenue.

Anyone got any info on what the highest oom is that has already had an offer? I know 19 was the highest mentioned here so far.

Well if iother posters are correct they intake was 15 and a few people turned it down (cos they are waiting for cork or wexford) but are stil on the om for preferred locations 19/20 is about right

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Boris Johnson's brother has just resigned from cabinet over the Brexit proposals. And the current DUP stance makes the prospect of any Brexit deal unlikely in the short term.

Gosh, I'm turning into a political nerd at the moment. I'm sure that Revenue would welcome recruits who are aware of the political situation but whoever is eventually recruited will have a level of understanding above and beyond the call of duty :).

• Registered Users Posts: 35 fungijay

Just want to put this out there and get opinions (all pure speculation I know).

The more I read about Brexit the more I think the most likely outcome will be:

1. Uncertainty at least up to the end of January while ratification of any proposed deal goes through the UK and European parliaments.

2. Nothing will change in terms of customs procedures for at least a couple of years.
    (transition period).

In those circumstances, what is likely to happen in terms of hiring? And what are those already hired in to the roles going to be doing?

Would love to hear particularly from anybody already working in customs or revenue.

Don't work in revenue, but have a keen interest in all things brexit. Here's how I see it.

Theresa May and the EU will definitely have a withdrawal agreement unless British politics completely tears itself apart (its possible) and is unable to ratify the withdrawal agreement.
    Why do I say this?
    Both the EU and British government have said the even by the end of the transition period, and a successful future trade deal, both sides will probably not have the infrastructure and manpower in place to cope because of the commitment by the UK to leave customs Union and free trade. A no deal brexit at this stage would quite literally bring everything to a screeching halt.
    The only thing left to agree is the backstop, if there is no agreement, then ireland gets a hard border, something the gov is committed not to allow happen. There may be a fudge in the text to allow a withdrawal agreement here, but ireland is playing hardball because, as Angela Merkel said, Ireland will never have this level of support in negotiations again.

2. The withdrawal
    It's correct to say very little will change on day 1 after brexit day, however, as time progresses through the transition more and more will change. The transition is for two reasons, 1, extra time to negotiate a future trade deal with the EU, and 2, time for the UK and EU to uncouple its laws. The UK will have to change 750 trade laws within the transition period, as these laws are changed, more customs procedures will have to be implemented at ports. That's the reason for the transition, to give both governments and businesses a gentler lean into brexit.

In the event of a withdrawal agreement, Ireland will still need to hire extra customs staff, but it may well be spread out a bit more over the course of the two years as more knowledge of the future trade deal becomes clear.

In the event of a no deal brexit, expect a phone to report for work asapðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Paddy2018

I understand that there will, in fact, be a minimal number of positions available in Wexford. Apparently there has been lots of interest from Dublin based internal COs (and other grades) in Revenue for relocation to Wexford. So much so that the level of interest shown exceeds the amount of positions that are expected to be finally offered. Many of the positions offered in Dublin are actually intended to replace the COs who want to relocate to Wexford and Cork. I think Revenue need to be more transparent about this whole campaign rather than keeping people hanging on for vacancies that may never materialise.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

I understand that there will, in fact, be a minimal number of positions available in Wexford. Apparently there has been lots of interest from Dublin based internal COs (and other grades) in Revenue for relocation to Wexford. So much so that the level of interest shown exceeds the amount of positions that are expected to be finally offered. Many of the positions offered in Dublin are actually intended to replace the COs who want to relocate to Wexford and Cork. I think Revenue need to be more transparent about this whole campaign rather than keeping people hanging on for vacancies that may never materialise.

If that is the situation, it would be disappointing the lack of official communication.

Funnily enough I heard the opposite that the uptake from present Co's has been horrendous.

But agreed this needs to be more transparent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Dubted

gizmo23 wrote: »

Funnily enough I heard the opposite that the uptake from present Co's has been horrendous.

But agreed this needs to be more transparent

The other poster back a couple of pages who works there said the opposite too..and that there are jobs coming in January regardless of Brexit..apparently the internal uptake was poor and was supplemented by people from batch ....know soon I reckon..

Advertisement