Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2018 in Revenue - Customs Trade Facilitation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

olly2018 wrote: »
    336699 wrote: »
    FYI

Reporter on RTÉ News - Revenue today said they have already hired 40 new customs officers, hope to have another 270 by end of March and 600 within a couple of years.

In event of No Brexit, Revenue would speed up that implementation process.

270 would get pretty much everyone in batch one a position.

There is less than 270 in batch 1

Way I see it is batch 2 get there results and then are called with to interviews soon after batch 1 is all being placed and a lot of batch 2 will be.

But then again I have spent the last 3 hours laughing at the house of commons while trying to explain brexit to my girlfriend.... my sanity is truly gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭greenb

FYI

Reporter on RTÉ News - Revenue today said they have already hired 40 n
    ew customs officers, hope to have another 270 by end of March and 600 within a couple of years.

40 already sounds accurate, but I believe it includes the first 20 who were hired internally from Revenue. The other 20 would be those currently training including those hired from this panel.

At the moment they are training approx. 20 at a time over a five week period so 270 more by March would seem very ambitious unless they're planning on either increasing the training class size or running multiple training classes
    concurrently.

Anyway, if true, very good news for anyone in Batch 1 and probably most in Batch 2.

FYI

Reporter on RTÉ News - Revenue today said they have already hired 40 new customs officers, hope to have another 270 by end of March and 600 within a couple of years.

All this is in the independent page 4 if anyone is interested. It was said by the revenue chairman.

At least we have some vague idea of numbers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

noel50 wrote: »
    hi i got very low scores in the interview i failed was gutted for a week now i am angry when through the booklet of Clerical Officer Level Competencies no way i could get less than 20 was hopping/expecting 35 across the board i had Board Member: now i asked for a formal review in my view if you cant get 20 you are talking to a empty chair so i am looking for feedback

I know one of the members mention and am aware of the other, both are very knowledgeable of the area and wouldn't fail you on a whim.

My guess is you failed due to lack of knowledge of trade facilitation and the role. Its not a regular clerical officer role

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭336699

gizmo23 wrote: »
    All this is in the independent page 4 if anyone is interested. It was said by the revenue chairman.

At least we have some vague idea of numbers now.

https://www.independent.ie/business/brexit/government-ramping-up-its-planning-for-nodeal-37534696.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

Still haven't heard of anyone getting a job out of this...

weadick wrote: »
    Still haven't heard of anyone getting a job out of this...

Up to oom 19 has already been taken on and in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

greenb wrote: »

That's for Dublin though? Has anyone in Cork or Wexford been offered a position?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Gorman700

greenb wrote: »

Not everywhere they haven't! I'm oom 5 and haven't heard a peep after my interview results

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Sister is no. 2 oom for Cork. Heard nothing yet, other than Dublin is being done first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dalio

So slowly but surely business and farming in the uk and northern ireland are backing Theresa May. I think the deal might squeeze through maybe not immediately she'llhave to go back and get a concession but it will get through

I know we have a vested interest in this but I hope it will get through for the sake of peace.

It will get through. You will see more and more business leaders backing it in papers and the media. Comparing it to the dreadful chaos of a "No deal".

The jobs will still be there just at a slower pace. We just need to be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

I have heard that number of internal candidates were informed this week that they were sucessiful at interview moving to final clearance stage.

It is like they will move to the open panel shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 justin_lucas

Do you get a notification when your Garda vetting goes through? I got my placement for Dublin about 2/3 weeks ago? Or do you only hear if/when being offered a place.

I have heard that number of internal candidates were informed this week that they were sucessiful at interview moving to final clearance stage.

I taught all the internal candidates had started training. If it's the case above it doesn't look to promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭JKerova1

I taught all the internal candidates had started training. If it's the case above it doesn't look to promising.

Why did they even bother having an open comp? Waste of peoples time and money.

The more cconfusing thing is why was batch 2 called up... And for all 3 areas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 olly2018

There have been 40 or so staff in training already. About 15 of these staff have been taken from the panel because the internal transfers were under subscribed. This is my understanding of it anyway.

Now this is a good sign for these jobs because they already took staff from the panel before January.

The rest of the staff are to begin training in January and they should have 270 staff trained by March. So this is really all the information that is in public domain, so it is all we can go off.

Therefore there should be 230 staff in the panel being trained in the New Year.

All we know so far is that they are calling for Dublin at the moment and there will be more staff assigned to Dublin. I imagine both Wexford and Cork will get call ups in New Year.

So there is nothing out of the ordinary at the moment and I cannot understand why people are getting so worried about this.

One thing i cannot understand is that Mike referred to internal staff passing interview. If this is more internal staff then it does not compute with the earlier call up from the external panel because there was not enough interest internally.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

In fairness, as campaigns go, it has been one of the fastest i've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

JKerova1 wrote: »
    Why did they even bother having an open comp? Waste of peoples time and money.

So the people who were informed this week were internal EO's and HEO's. They didn't get enough applying initially for all areas (port, airport, cork, roslare) so ran another competition.

There was also one last CO competition internally, much smaller numbers applied this time and it was to give one last opportunity to staff that already in revenue to apply. They all found out last week.

This won't effect the external panel, the jobs are still there. Its just an effort to get people with revenue experience in with the completely new staff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 fungijay

Let's be honest, not even revenue know what's going on, they have a plan for an agreed withdrawal agreement, that's getting the first 270 in place by March 31, they may not even need that many depending on how soft brexit really is, and if there's no deal, they at least have about 700 who have been assessed as far as stage 2 so they can steam roll as many as they can into positions in the event of no deal, wto arrangement.
    If there is a no deal, imagine the pandemonium, just think off all the ebay/amazon stuff alone delivered from the UK that would need customs and excise clearance, never mind all the roll on roll of freight. Total gridlock I would suspect

Vologda69 wrote: »
    In fairness, as campaigns go, it has been one of the fastest i've seen.

Absolutely, I found other campaigns were so slow and that at least this campaign has an end. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Sorry all, the internal candidates i mention will be Executive Officers, i believe 10 EO grades are going to final clearance stage for Wexford/Rosslare... that was my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dubted

Sorry all, the internal candidates i mention will be Executive Officers, i believe 10 EO grades are going to final clearance stage for Wexford/Rosslare... that was my mistake.

So you seem to know quite a bit fair play..have you an idea when the externals for January might begin to hear something?

That's it I'm not watching the news any more, it's totally confusing. Like most of us here I'm constantly trying to anticipate what's going to happen and have come to the conclusion: the answer is Nobody Knows. :{

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Wonder will any of us hear anything in the next week...or the next month?!

JKerova1 wrote: »
    Wonder will any of us hear anything in the next week...or the next month?!

Well if you're asking about the test results the women supervising our test said the end of Nov or beginning of Dec.

As for the people for training in January, I expect they will have to know before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭336699

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kitty1cat

Hi I'm I the 50,s in Dublin anyone hear anything that's in the same bracket

• Advertisement

Kitty1cat wrote: »
    Hi I'm I the 50,s in Dublin anyone hear anything that's in the same bracket

I was told by Revenue that "current plans" are to organize training sessions for Dublin Port unit in January, February and March next year. If you're in the 50s my guess is you'd be called to the Feb sessions, maybe January if they get the expected number of refusals.

Not sure if current plans are dependent on Brexit outcomes.

Advertisement