Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2018 in Revenue - Customs Trade Facilitation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭shmeee

DoctaDee wrote: »
    It's hard to say really, the workload in the NVB really determines the length of time. From prior experience being vetted for the GAA, the NVB took a week to return their findings, so the application trail of

NVB=>you=>Revenue=>NVB=>Revenue, when it reaches the 4th stage it should be a week after that the NVB return their findings

Any delay with the vetting is at the end of the revenue not sending across the files or waiting to batch send files. The vetting is very quickly turned around once it hits the desk in the NVB office.

I'm told the main delays lately are from the employers and agencies not sending the files across to be vetted, HSE wait to send a batch at a time which causes delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

shmeee wrote: »
    Any delay with the vetting is at the end of the revenue not sending across the files or waiting to batch send files. The vetting is very quickly turned around once it hits the desk in the NVB office.

I'm told the main delays lately are from the employers and agencies not sending the files across to be vetted, HSE wait to send a batch at a time which causes delays.

Ah yeah agree 100% that delays can occur anywhere along the chain, in particular the incidences that you've outlined with regard to the batch transmission of vetting files.

I just commented on the fact that my application thru the GAA was with NVB for a week prior to clearing - NVB have a tracking facility for your application which allows you follow its progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭greenb

DoctaDee wrote: »
    It's hard to say really, the workload in the NVB really determines the length of time. From prior experience being vetted for the GAA, the NVB took a week to return their findings, so the application trail of

NVB=>you=>Revenue=>NVB=>Revenue, when it reaches the 4th stage it should be a week after that the NVB return their findings

Looks like revenue are acting very quickly on this. My vetting form was passed from revenue to NVB within a couple of hours of me completing it.

Has anybody starting training in January had any more communication from revenue since accepting the offer? I'm due to start training in February and have heard nothing since the original call. By the way, I've heard there are already 4 groups scheduled to start in Jan and at least 1 in Feb, so they're moving through the list very quickly for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Heisenberg79

greenb wrote: »
    Looks like revenue are acting very quickly on this. My vetting form was passed from revenue to NVB within a couple of hours of me completing it.

Has anybody starting training in January had any more communication from revenue since accepting the offer? I'm due to start training in February and have heard nothing since the original call. By the way, I've heard there are already 4 groups scheduled to start in Jan and at least 1 in Feb, so they're moving through the list very quickly for Dublin.

Wife is starting trai ing 14th of January. She has heard nothing since she got contract and vetting application.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 justin_lucas

I am to start training in Feb date t.b.c vetting form with NVB for processing at the moment. No other contact at present. It was mentioned that they would be contacting after vetting cleared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭JKerova1

The closer it's getting to Brexit the more it looks like the sh!t is going to hit the fan. Bad for the country but good for us I suspect...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MrTvw

I am to start training in Feb date t.b.c vetting form with NVB for processing at the moment. No other contact at present. It was mentioned that they would be contacting after vetting cleared.

Hi do you mind me asking what OOM you are for Dublin?! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24 justin_lucas

MrTvw wrote: »
    Hi do you mind me asking what OOM you are for Dublin?! Thanks

I was within OOM Seventies. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

"Additional customs staff

The Government has already said it is accelerating the recruitment of revenue and other officials who will be needed in the event of post-Brexit."

https://m.independent.ie/business/brexit/irelands-stark-and-sobering-nodeal-brexit-plan-revealed-37642734.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Keith79

20 people per week starting in Jan.
    Training. 3 weeks of learning about procedures and the UCC. Union custom Code. A lot to learn. This all comes together at the end.
    2 weeks of system training. Practice how to use the systems, what to look for etc.
    Then 2 days of induction. The do’s and dont’s of Revenue.
    Then your group will move to your area, Airport/port.
    In Dublin port it’s a 24/7 roster. Week of mornings/evenings/nights. Generally working hours 5:00-13:00, 13:00-21:00, 21:00-5:00. 8 week rotation. 4 weekends off in the 8 weeks.
    You’ll be split away from your group and placed on a team. Your team will have older trainees and long term staff full of experience.
    You’ll be in full uniform all the time. (When you eventually get it).
    It seems daunting. But your group then team will help you along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Keith79 wrote: »
    20 people per week starting in Jan.
    Training. 3 weeks of learning about procedures and the UCC. Union custom Code. A lot to learn. This all comes together at the end.
    2 weeks of system training. Practice how to use the systems, what to look for etc.
    Then 2 days of induction. The do’s and dont’s of Revenue.
    Then your group will move to your area, Airport/port.
    In Dublin port it’s a 24/7 roster. Week of mornings/evenings/nights. Generally working hours 5:00-13:00, 13:00-21:00, 21:00-5:00. 8 week rotation. 4 weekends off in the 8 weeks.
    You’ll be split away from your group and placed on a team. Your team will have older trainees and long term staff full of experience.
    You’ll be in full uniform all the time. (When you eventually get it).
    It seems daunting. But your group then team will help you along.

Great info Keith much appreciated

Thanks Keith. Do you know if the shift structure will be the same at the airport?

greenb wrote: »
    Thanks Keith. Do you know if the shift structure will be the same at the airport?
    The Airport staff I went through training with are not on shift.
    They have flexi. No shift premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

The Airport staff I went through training with are not on shift.
    They have flexi. No shift premium.

There are staff going on shift in the airport, but no the roster won't be the same. The roster is specific to each station.

No mention of Cork airport or port in the government contingency plan. Just Dublin and Rosslare.

Thats fairly disappointing!

No mention of Cork airport or port in the government contingency plan. Just Dublin and Rosslare.

Dublin deals with over 80% of the imports/exports. And with ferry companies moving routes to Dublin, Rosslare and cork will not need as many staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Diarmaid38

Dublin deals with over 80% of the imports/exports. And with ferry companies moving routes to Dublin, Rosslare and cork will not need as many staff.

Hey Keith, lots of good information thanks, any idea of how many people will be needed in Rosslare, I'm OOM 26 and just wondered was there any move?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

The fact they are saying rosslare is to have an extra 13 inspection bays and 25 parking bays plus more office space for officials... be interesting where they find the space for all this.

Did cork not undergo a refurb recently?

Im not sure about ferry companies moving to dublin but i dont think 80% is accurate.

99.5% of all import/exports come through the ports but Dublin port only accounts for 50% of that including two thirds of all Lo-Lo containers.

I dont think rosslare does containers so most traffic would be through the ferries (this would be impacted if ferry companies were to move to dublin) but i would image a good chunk of the remaining containers are via the cork ports.

gizmo23 wrote: »

You might be right about that on the port side. and well most trade at the airport, id image comes through the old terminal building which is closed to the public so they'd have the space at least.

still tho i would have expected some mention of staff required at cork, afterall they have brought two batches to supervised tests and one to interview. It would be disappoint if it turns out they dont need any or few additional staff.

• Advertisement

Diarmaid38 wrote: »

Hey Keith, lots of good information thanks, any idea of how many people will be needed in Rosslare, I'm OOM 26 and just wondered was there any move?
    The first 20 for Rosslare are due in Jan with the next 20 to follow every 3/4 weeks.

First 20 for Rosslare in Jan with the second group of 20 3/4 weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

And the fact that Port of Cork is due to vacate Tivoli location in the next two years...sister is in top 5 for Cork but hasnt heard a peep

• Registered Users Posts: 5 76543

Keith, have you heard anything about Cork ?

You might be right about that on the port side. and well most trade at the airport, id image comes through the old terminal building which is closed to the public so they'd have the space at least.

still tho i would have expected some mention of staff required at cork, afterall they have brought two batches to supervised tests and one to interview. It would be disappoint if it turns out they dont need any or few additional staff.

The reason I was asking if you look at the plans they have it never mentions how many people for each area.

Just what is needed regarding facilities. And let's be honest Dublin needs the most as more goes there and well rosslare is a s*** hole being polite about it. Needs an upgrade considering 4 sailings a day to the u.k.

The fact Coveney is saying hiring will be ramped up is the best news.

The reason I was asking if you look at the plans they have it never mentions how many people for each area.

No numbers but in part 5 they do say that:

"Since the early summer an interdepartmental group has been meeting to prepare the measures required at ports and airports as a result of the UK leaving the EU on 29 March 2019. This has included the staffing, IT, infrastructural and operational requirements at Dublin Port, Rosslare Europort and Dublin Airport. "

In part 5 they do say that

"Since the early summer an interdepartmental group has been meeting to prepare the measures required at ports and airports as a result of the UK leaving the EU on 29 March 2019. This has included the staffing, IT, infrastructural and operational requirements at Dublin Port, Rosslare Europort and Dublin Airport. "

Never read that .... Well that ****s all over my point ://.. I guess only genuinely revenue and government know what's going on and who's going where and even then you can get conflicting reports. I would be shocked if by 2 years batch one hadn't been gone through. PAS wouldn't call up a second batch for no reason

I would be shocked if by 2 years batch one hadn't been gone through.
    I would be shocked too.
    PAS wouldn't call up a second batch for no reason
    I hope your right on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Paddy2018

Now for the The most important question:
    Does anyone know what the uniform is like? How official is it? is there a crest? Will it enable the wearer to get free coffee in MacDonalds? or is it nearer the kind of outfit worn for doing security on the Luas (including stab vest) ? :)

Paddy2018 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the uniform is like? How official is it? is there a crest? Will it enable the wearer to get free coffee in MacDonalds? or is it nearer the kind of outfit worn for doing security on the Luas (including stab vest) ? :)

Id image its the official customs uniform - dark navy combats, white shirt with clip on tie or navy tshirt, navy jacket with green strips and 'Custaim' crest on side of the arm.

I dont know about getting a free coffee at mcdonalds tho. Haha

• Advertisement

Paddy2018 wrote: »

The uniform does entitle the wearer to one free coffee with every purchase of a signature burger meal as long as it's with a blueberry mc flurry, curly fries and a fruit box. You will also be entitled to free entry to coppers on all-ireland winning nights and a free nurse from a Dublin hospital of your choice. Obviously this only applies to Dublin and Wexford employees as nobody from Cork is ever likely to be near Coppers on all-ireland night.

Advertisement