Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2018 in Revenue - Customs Trade Facilitation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 fungijay

Dillo1888 wrote: »
    Im in the 80s haven't heard anything yet

I assume you guys have done the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MrTvw

fungijay wrote: »
    I assume you guys have done the interview?

Yes passed the interview in October but havent heard a thing since!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dillo1888

I just got a call to start training on the 25th February in the 80s on the omo

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dubted

Dillo1888 wrote: »
    I just got a call to start training on the 25th February in the 80s on the omo

Airport or Dublin Port? Have you had any paperwork yet?

Anyone offered airport for February training ? Heard anything yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 justin_lucas

Dubted wrote: »
    Anyone offered airport for February training ? Heard anything yet?

I have Dublin Port starting training on the 18th Feb. Paperwork issued, all systems go.
    Batch 1, OOM with the seventies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lunsss

Any word on cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Annie K64

Anyone hear about Wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

Lunsss wrote: »
    Any word on cork?

Wouldn't hold your breath. They are taking on people internally first, who knows after that. Reckon only a handful of positions at most.

Have seen contract now no mention of shift allowance? Any idea on this anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Annie K64

That's odd, do it have the shift pattern in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

I would have thought there would be two contracts, one permanent revenue contract and one (three year) customs contract which would include the shift allowance etc.

I would have thought there would be two contracts, one permanent revenue contract and one (three year) customs contract which would include the shift allowance etc.

One contract (probationary) No duration, except probation period 1 year?..no shift pattern or shift allowance ..why do you say two?

Annie K64 wrote: »
    That's odd, do it have the shift pattern in it?

See answer elsewhere but no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Sam2079

Apparently they are about to double the amount of trainees per week, to 40.
    More staff required for Dublin Port, Airport and for warehousing and Post offices.
    Your shift allowance will start when you start on shift. There is a temp roster in Dublin Port, early start is 5:00 and finish is 22:00. No night shift yet (but will happen) and yes you get the 25% on both shifts.
    Delays in supply of uniforms and your shift allowance will probably take a few weeks to kick in.
    Remember you will have to drive to the port. No public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Paddy2018

Are uniforms and/or boots provided free? any update on what type of uniform it is?

Sam2079 wrote: »
    Apparently they are about to double the amount of trainees per week, to 40.
    More staff required for Dublin Port, Airport and for warehousing and Post offices.
    Your shift allowance will start when you start on shift. There is a temp roster in Dublin Port, early start is 5:00 and finish is 22:00. No night shift yet (but will happen) and yes you get the 25% on both shifts.
    Delays in supply of uniforms and your shift allowance will probably take a few weeks to kick in.
    Remember you will have to drive to the port. No public transport.

Is there shift allowance for airport?

Paddy2018 wrote: »
    Are uniforms and/or boots provided free? any update on what type of uniform it is?
    Uniforms and boots are free.
    Combats T-shirt longsleve termals fleese jacket hi viz shirts. A few sets of each.
    Casual clothes until the uniform arrives. Then always in uniform.

Shift allowance is about to start in the Airport.
    Dublin port start shift on Monday 21st.

Details of your income, increments and shift allowance were on the Booklet that was issued with the application at the start of the competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Paddy2018

Interesting, so that is quite different from a Customs Officer's uniform? this seems to reinforce how different the roles are between Customs Officials and Customs Officers. Some people, including here and in the media, seem to be conflating these two roles which leads me to wonder; will there or has there been a separate recruitment campaign for Customs Officers proper or is it a case of getting in lower paid Clerical Officers/Customs Officials to perform the role of Customs Officers effectively on the cheap?

Paddy2018 wrote: »
    Interesting, so that is quite different from a Customs Officer's uniform? this seems to reinforce how different the roles are between Customs Officials and Customs Officers. Some people, including here and in the media seem to be conflating these two roles which leads me to wonder will there be separate recruitment campaign for Customs Officers proper or is it a case of getting in lower paid Clerical Officers/Customs Officials to the role of Customs Officers effectively on the cheap?

Not true. (However all the civil service are on lower pay, because of the austerity measures.)
    Pay accross the civil service is on a grade bases of
    CO, EO, HEO etc.
    All customs officers are on these grades.

This came about because the role of a customs officer was restricted to only revenue staff.
    You had to be in revenue to go for a Customs role.

Now that it’s open to all departments and the public, you will be employed as a clerical officer in TFU.
    You are a Customs Officer.

Generally all officers are on a 2-3year contract as needed by customs.
    This contract is usually renewed based on business needs.
    If it’s not renewed you might be moved to another unallowanced customs post or you will take up a revenue position.

But if your ****, a scammer, chancing your arm, think you don’t have to arrive on time or can leave early. You will be found out because each group of clerical staff will have EOs and HEOs looking over your shoulder every day. As well as reviewing your work on the computer and if that’s not enough the EU send over audit teams every year to audit your work. And they count the pennies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

If it’s not renewed you might be moved to another unallowanced customs post or you will take up a revenue position.

There’s no “unallowanced” customs post, once you start of in the TFU or Customs officer unit you have your allowance, if you’re moved to another unit, whether it be a CO, EO, HEO, AP, PO etc you get to keep your allowance, even if it’s a 9-5 position

billie1b wrote: »

There’s no “unallowanced” customs post, once you start of in the TFU or Customs officer unit you have your allowance, if you’re moved to another unit, whether it be a CO, EO, HEO, AP, PO etc you get to keep your allowance, even if it’s a 9-5 position

That’s odd. I work there and I don’t have an allowance.
    TFU get a shift premium not an allowance.
    Enforcement and some other divisions have allowanced positions.
    And customs have positions with no allowance or premium.

You can keep your premium or allowance after two years service in that position with a positive PMDS.

If you get position 80 on the OOM for Dublin and position 60 OOM for Wexford and your Dublin number is first to be called, if you accept Dublin you cannot switch later even if your offer Wexford at a later stage.

If you turn down a position, you will not be offered it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 DoreenB

Has anyone got an interview this week? I have for Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Diarmaid38

If you get position 80 on the OOM for Dublin and position 60 OOM for Wexford and your Dublin number is first to be called, if you accept Dublin you cannot switch later even if your offer Wexford at a later stage.

Hey Sam thanks for all the good information, just that you mention Wexford, have you heard anything on the grape vine about how many positions are needed for the port?

Diarmaid38 wrote: »

Hey Sam thanks for all the good information, just that you mention Wexford, have you heard anything on the grape vine about how many positions are needed for the port?

Wexford and cork are not main priorities.
    Just before the competition started permenant staff already working in Customs were given the opportunity to move to these places.
    Existing staff in Nenagh deal with a lot of the work from Cork Wexford and Shannon.

The majority of staff are needed in Dublin Port and Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Kiwi5449

DoreenB wrote: »
    Has anyone got an interview this week? I have for Thursday.

My sister has interview Friday. Does anyone from batch 1 recall any questions ask? Or recall if they asked the competencies in the order they appear on the booklet?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭EmmetWhitey

Anyone know what OOM they have reached for Dublin and Roslare yet ?

Advertisement