Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2018 in Revenue - Customs Trade Facilitation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

greenb wrote: »
    Anyone know if all three tests go towards the OOM? I believe for some competitions you just need to pass all 3 but only the verbal test counts towards OOM?

Last competition you had to pass maths while the the verbal and fact checking counted towards the OOM

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

And what is a pass for numerical test? 9, 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭2016claire

6 questions

Now saying all that it would seem things change campaign to campaign so could be different this time.

At this stage to those who have done it well done you made it this far at least.

To the rest best of luck. And here's hoping to a happy conclusion

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭2016claire

any feedback form those who sit the test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭corny

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Anyone else find the target 48 questions in 8 minutes for the error checking test completely unrealistic to finish in the allotted time? - I managed the 1st 2 tests without too much hassle but barely got into question 30 in the fact checking.

Got 46 done. Horsed into it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭greenb

corny wrote: »

Fair play mate, but they're not looking for horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Good man Corny, is no wonder you pick up on everything in Croker ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Em mag

Well done , hope I can get close to 40 or over today

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Just remember these are tests of accuracy and precision more so that speed... there no point getting all questions answered if half of them are wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Piligrim333

Just done the test today. It was hard in terms of limited time, but not as bad as I expected...
    At the end they mentioned that results will be out within two weeks and interviews are planned for the week 22-26 of October (if I understood it right)... So those with highest OOMs will be called soon... This campaign is going much faster than previous ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Just done the test today. It was hard in terms of limited time, but not as bad as I expected...
    At the end they mentioned that results will be out within two weeks and interviews are planned for the week 22-26 of October (if I understood it right)... So those with highest OOMs will be called soon... This campaign is going much faster than previous ones...

What test was used? Was it cut-e?

It was an aptitude test (verbal-numerical-checking) similar to those samples on PAS website.

I did the test today also and totally messed up the maths did not even get it finished and I would say I failed it as I just went blank shame as I feel I did really well in the other 2

• Registered Users Posts: 34 olly2018

Well, that is the tests out of the way. I prepared myself for them being ridiculously hard so as to not be shocked in the exam sitting. I found them to be more or less doable, but the time is the restricting factor.

If I could say I did well in one it would be the maths section. I guessed the very last question and I skipped over a question also but fingers crossed I passed all of them.

I found the verbal hard to judge if I did well or not. There where some questions in the exam, which I would have put true or false at first glance, but in the end, I opted for cannot tell.

Got the error checking finished and rechecked some questions, but I think with the error checking it can feel like you are doing well but it could be a disaster since you do not have time to recheck anything.

Good luck to all with the results

Does anyone know how many exam sittings there were over the two days? It seemed as though there were lots of empty seats!

Em mag wrote: »
    I did the test today also and totally messed up the maths did not even get it finished and I would say I failed it as I just went blank shame as I feel I did really well in the other 2

If you did well in the others I would not worry just yet. In other competitions, some people thought they did badly in maths only for it to be their best-scored exam.

Based on the other competitions maths just needs a pass and the OOM can be changed based on verbal and error checking. It may be different for this competition though.

olly2018 wrote: »
    If you did well in the others I would not worry just yet. In other competitions, some people thought they did badly in maths only for it to be their best-scored exam.

Based on the other competitions maths just needs a pass and the OOM can be changed based on verbal and error checking. It may be different for this competition though.

I actually don’t even think I passed it I don’t know what happened to me my mind went blank and then into a blind panic but I feel the other 2 went really well the checking I got up to 40 but I feel my accuracy was good and the verbal reasoning I thought was grand
    The annoying thing is I am usually good at maths I guessed some but did not get the last page of questions done

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Anastasia_

Wasn’t half as bad as cut-e ones thank god. Didn’t think it was too bad overall. Anyone have any idea how many they generally call for interview at a time?

Anastasia_ wrote:
    Anyone have any idea how many they generally call for interview at a time?

It is hard to even guess at this one. I think it depends on the need at particular location. In CO 2018 they say 30 people were called for a particular county... But as I said earlier all stages are going much quicker than in general CO cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 l_uuuke

What is needed to pass the Maths test? 6 out of the 18 questions?

• Advertisement

l_uuuke wrote: »
    What is needed to pass the Maths test? 6 out of the 18 questions?

I think 6 as that’s how many you have to get to pass on the practice tests

Seems like the campaign in been rushed along at some rate of knots. I thought that I heard in the test session 20-26 Oct for interviews and almost 2 weeks for the results of stage 2.

This would mean that the interviews would begin a few days after the results of stage 2. This does not give the candidate much time to prepare for an interview.

I wonder are these dates sufficient to interview all the positions available at the moment and will there be other dates further along?

Let's say 30 mins per interview and 15 interviews per day. So maybe about 75 candidates interviewed in one week, assuming there is only one panel assigned to interviewing candidates. I would love to know their plans regarding positions available and amount of candidates being called to interview.

Seems like the campaign in been rushed along at some rate of knots. I thought that I heard in the test session 20-26 Oct for interviews and almost 2 weeks for the results of stage 2.

This would mean that the interviews would begin a few days after the results of stage 2. This does not give the candidate much time to prepare for an interview.

I wonder are these dates sufficient to interview all the positions available at the moment and will there be other dates further along?

They said the results of stage one would be out the beginning of oct and in face they were a week earlier , I say the stage 2 results would be earlier they did say that the dates of the interviews could change .

They seem to want to have it all done and dusted by the end of oct

According to the irish indo they are taking on 170 for January and then between 400 and 500 over next 2 years. The competition runs till 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

gizmo23 wrote: »
    According to the irish indo they are taking on 170 for January and then between 400 and 500 over next 2 years. The competition runs till 2020.

Do you have a link to that article, please?

jodaw wrote: »
    Do you have a link to that article, please?

I actually cant find it on the website. But it's on page 16 in the paper about 4 paragraphs on it. Apologises

I actually cant find it on the website. But it's on page 16 in the paper about 4 paragraphs on it. Apologises

No problem, thank you.

Is this the article?
    https://www.independent.ie/business/brexit/customs-posts-to-be-filled-before-uk-leaves-37394197.html

If that article is correct and they are looking for 170 in January, then they must be really tight for time.

Let's say 400 were called to stage 2 and 350 attended the tests. Let's say 300 passed to the interview stage. I would imagine the 20-26th October interview window would be to allow for the January intake.

So, say 170 pass interview stage.

They would need four panels conducting 15 interviews per day for the entire week to get through 300 interviews.

I would be a large task to get everything ready for January considering how late the competition started.

I am not sure if there was 400 called to stage 2, since there was only about 30 in my sitting of the tests. I am not sure how many sittings there was to choose from.

Can anyone that reckons they done well in the verbal tell me what this means:D

"A total of 170 budding customs officials will be recruited before the Brexit deadline next March - but they have no guarantee of a job."

also

"He said appointments will be on a probationary contract for a year, but the fact there might be a hard Brexit or not, will not determine whether job offers are made."

*quote from independent

So from above is in saying that 170 will be on the panel and that they may start taking some staff from January onwards? Also the year probationary is strange since i thought the original job detail mentioned 3 years?

Can anyone that reckons they done well in the verbal tell me what this means:D

"A total of 170 budding customs officials will be recruited before the Brexit deadline next March - but they have no guarantee of a job."

*quote from independent

The article really is confusing. At the end they say the new employees are not dependent on brexit. Yet the whole article is based around Ireland preparing for brexit.

And here was i thinking I was done analysing every word in a paragraph ha

• Advertisement

The article really is confusing. At the end they say the new employees are not dependent on brexit. Yet the whole article is based around Ireland preparing for brexit.

And here was i thinking I was done analysing every word in a paragraph ha

:pac: I thought it was just me and my bad verbal comprehension.

The article leaves you almost more confused when you finished than when you began. That takes some doing.

Advertisement