Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing medals and teophies feom China

Options
  • 02-09-2018 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hello guys,

Hopefully someone can help. I am planning to get medals from China and HA code is 7117190000. I want to know how much duty will I pay if goods are about say 2700 euros?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Good morning,

The rate of duty is 4%. The Duty is calculated over the cost of the goods, plus freight costs plus marine / cargo insurance premium. VAT @ 23% is calculated over the items listed plus the Duty. If you are a VAT registered trader, VAT paid on imports is a deductible input in your periodic VAT return.

I would always urge members on boards.ie to take charge of the shipping process (especially for oceanfreight shipments) and use the services of a forwarder based in Ireland. They can provide rates that will include all charges and avoid the pitfalls that can occur when the shipping arrangements are left to the supplier in China. At a minimum make sure - if the supplier makes the shipping arrangements - that you know who the agent in Ireland will be that will receive the shipment and what their charges are BEFORE the shipment leaves the factory.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭booksale

Hi AsianIrish

Sorry to hijack your post.

Rudolf289, I have read a lot of your posts and you are professional with what you are doing.

we will set up a Montessori offering a Chinese immersion programme. We will import a good few boxes of Montessori materials and / or classroom furnitures. We have sourced a few manufacturers but haven’t yet made the decision. Some companies we sourced said they do shipping to the Irish port and then we need to deal with the custom duty and tax. Some offer FOB price. Can you please kindly PM me so I can get a quote from you?

Million thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

booksale wrote: »
    Hi AsianIrish

Sorry to hijack your post.

Rudolf289, I have read a lot of your posts and you are professional with what you are doing.

we will set up a Montessori offering a Chinese immersion programme. We will import a good few boxes of Montessori materials and / or classroom furnitures. We have sourced a few manufacturers but haven’t yet made the decision. Some companies we sourced said they do shipping to the Irish port and then we need to deal with the custom duty and tax. Some offer FOB price. Can you please kindly PM me so I can get a quote from you?

Million thanks.

Good afternoon,

I have sent you a PM.

Just to re-iterate, as I do in all my posts regarding shipping from China. Remember Fight Club ?

Rule number 1 - do NOT leave the shipping arrangements to your supplier in China !

Rule number 2 - DO NOT LEAVE THE SHIPPING ARRANGEMENTS TO YOUR SUPPLIER IN CHINA !

If you feel you have no choice but to use the shipping services provided by your supplier, make sure that ;

1. You know who will handle the shipment on arrival in Ireland (If it is an agent outside Ireland, e.g. UK or Continent, Alarm Bells should ring and Red Flags hoisted)
    2. That you have a complete overview of the costs on arrival - BEFORE the shipment has left the factory. Your supplier should be able to confirm the arrival costs, or at a minimum confirm the agent in Ireland so you can make inquiries. Phrases like "All you have to do is pay the duty and taxes and collect from the port" or "We do not know yet" or evasive answers like that, should set off alarm bells.

You will have better control working through an Irish based forwarder, both in terms of costs and management of the shipment.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭AsianIrish

RUDOLF289 wrote: »
    Good morning,

The rate of duty is 4%. The Duty is calculated over the cost of the goods, plus freight costs plus marine / cargo insurance premium. VAT @ 23% is calculated over the items listed plus the Duty. If you are a VAT registered trader, VAT paid on imports is a deductible input in your periodic VAT return.

I would always urge members on boards.ie to take charge of the shipping process (especially for oceanfreight shipments) and use the services of a forwarder based in Ireland. They can provide rates that will include all charges and avoid the pitfalls that can occur when the shipping arrangements are left to the supplier in China. At a minimum make sure - if the supplier makes the shipping arrangements - that you know who the agent in Ireland will be that will receive the shipment and what their charges are BEFORE the shipment leaves the factory.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Hi Rudolf,

Thank you.

The supplier quoted me price with shipment to door. At this stage I paid him €200 for samples made which he has shipped via TNT a few medals as I want to ensure quality. I also paid cia Alibaba to protect me.

Now when the shipment is sent via TNT or DHL do they not contact the importer tonpay duty and taxes before they release it from customs?

Do I have to have an agent nominated for 5 boxes of medals?

Thank you once again you are always the expert.

Advertisement