Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggest ways to get attention to a mountain range

• 02-09-2018 2:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 231 ✭✭

I'm Public Relations Officer of a mountain association. How do I generate attention grabbing articles to get people interested in our association?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

A Yeti attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

a mountaintop mass suicide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Upgrade to volcano.

You're welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Put a statue of Mary on top.

Boom!

Pilgrimage site

Or you could carve the faces of Haughey Charles McQuaid and Develera into the rock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Downgrade it to a hill. Claim a conspiracy.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Tell the locals there's lad mountain biking on them then they'll all be out with the pitch forks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

sellasheep wrote: »
    I'm Public Relations Officer of a mountain association. How do I generate attention grabbing articles to get people interested in our association?

Not very good at your job, you failed to tell us anything about your association.

Leave a large gold nugget lying near a stream to be found. Sit back and let the magic happen. Repeat periodically as required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dress up female members of the local hiking group in Swiss drindl dresses and the snappers will come running (climbing).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭SimpleDimples

You should call Roxanne Pallett!

Attention seeking expert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

UFO landing site / Demonic rituals

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭Patser

Compare them to Shakira, than they won't seem small and humble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭Patser

UFO landing site / Demonic rituals

Reported for shilling their services

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Make claims the government is planning to build social housing on the mountains , should attract plenty of torch weilding yocals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Start a rumour that someone lost a winning lottery ticket there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

What's a mountain association when it's at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Do you own the land?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Promote it as a dogging site, not sure how you could make money out of that though unless you charge for entry/viewing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Upgrade to volcano.

You're welcome.
    Was already done http://hoaxes.org/af_database/permalink/the_eruption_of_mount_edgecumbe/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Create a hollowed out 'pos-brexit survial bunker complex', if it's set to be as bad as they make out.
    Much like the Cheyenne complex, however you'll need a loan of a decent JCB for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Have an Close Encounter of the Third Kind

Interested in the mountain? or interested in your association?

I presume you mean the latter.. in which case I would ask what mountain/s? And surely many hiking groups etc. would be interested if you had information to offer?

Families etc. would be interested if you had events on?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Move them somewhere else for a few weeks.

Easy enough if you get stuck into the history. For instance, Sliabh gCuillinn in the south Armagh part of Airgíalla/Oriel is associated with the world of Art Mac Cumhaigh, Peadar Ó Doirnín and a whole slew of other 18th century poets of the northern 'Hidden Ireland'. The Glens of Aherlow are associated with Seathrún Céitinn, Pádraigín Haicéad and other famous voices of the 17th century. Similarly, there are bound to be bothies, mass rocks, relics of the Penal Laws, lore associated with famous outlaws and so much else in the mountains. Usually you'll find the mountainous areas were most radical in history - there's a famous quote from a Kerry recruiter in the War of Independence that he wouldn't bother going to the lowlands to recruit IRA members. Similarly up in the Nire valley near Ballymacarberry in the Comeragh mountains you'll find the 'IRA cottage' where the anti-Treaty forces decided to end the Civil War. More poverty and more hunger for change. Look a bit closer and you'll also probably see relics of lazy beds like this from An Gorta Mór and perhaps even a Famine Village (came across one outside Carlingford up on Sliabh Foy a few years ago - this one), not to mention famous tales from throughout history connected with the Ulster Cycle, the Fianna, Méabh of Connacht, Gráinne Mhaol and so many others. Bain sult as!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

The OP reminded me of this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Create a chocolate bar - á la Toblerone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Struggling to peak their interest?

Are there caves in it? All you need is a cave, some water, and an eccentric billionaire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Get a Star Wars movie to film there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

There’s sugar atop tham there loafs

Are there caves in it? All you need is a cave, some water, and an eccentric billionaire.

A football team of gullible youngsters and their young coach would also help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Murder someone famous, bury them up there and then give the guards an anonymous tip as to where he or she is buried. It'll have to be someone who everyone hates, like Brian Ormonde, but someone a lot more famous, otherwise people won't really care where their body was discovered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Install a few fridges for the poor luas operatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Sex sells. It's the age old rule. Rename it The Big Tits Mountain or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

If it has Óir or Ore in the placename or even 'yellow river' suggest there be some fine gold panning opportunities in them there hills. Yee ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Noveight wrote: »

Or just put a brothel up the top :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Put a statue of Trump on top of it.

I'd like 12 tickets please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

You could start my actually naming the mountain range. Is it a secret?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Arrange for a Mountain Rescue call-out to rescue some models that just happen to get into trouble while shooting a nude calendar or similar? Would pretty much guarantee media coverage in the tabloids though...

(of course it is rather unethical and an awful waste of the mountain resuce volunteers time...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just in case you want a real answer, Friends of Merlin Woods have done it using a facebook Page and Twitter account, and some great close-up photos of the local wildlife and personal relations to grt them shared.

Returning to After Hours mode: stage a performance of the Sound of Music up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Already been done, kind of ...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paps_of_Anu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Spread a rumour that you found gold in a stream on the mountain side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭ablelocks

1. Make a sign that says
    ATTENTION

2. Bring the sign to the top of the mountain. (if it is a range, then make and bring multiple ATTENTION signs)

3. Securely mount your ATTENTION sign(s)

Done. you will have successfully got ATTENTION to a mountain range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Bring Muhommad to the mountain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Raffle off one of the smaller ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Dumping a few bodies up there would garner some media attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Just post a notice saying hill walkers are not allowed -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I misread the thread title. At first, I thought it meant "Oi! I'm a mountain range! LOOK AT ME!!!"

• Advertisement
Advertisement