Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US cancels finiancial aid to Pakistan and Palestine

• 02-09-2018 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

I can imagine many women and children depend on this aid for healthcare, education, food, etc... and I feel sorry for them. On the other hand, from reading the news, I was interested to see all the protests in these Arab countries about this aid being stopped - countries that normally burn the US flag and shout death to America.
    I am interested to see what your take is on the reaction in Palestine and Pakistan regarding the US aid being reduced and stopped in some cases?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

he who pays the piper calls the tune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Juran wrote: »
    I can imagine many women and children depend on this aid for healthcare, education, food, etc... and I feel sorry for them. On the other hand, from reading the news,

Most of the aid goes into the military the same military funneling supply's to the Taliban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Just more evidence that America cannot be an 'honest broker' for peace in the Middle East.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Juran

Gatling: I don’t disagree at all, in fact no more than any ‘charity’ only a fraction of the money goes to the people who need it. The point I am discussing is the public outcry in these arab countries when the US cute the aid, they were happy to take American money all along, ie. money from their Enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Gatling: I don’t disagree at all, in fact no more than any ‘charity’ only a fraction of the money goes to the people who need it. The point I am discussing is the public outcry in these arab countries when the US cute the aid, they were happy to take American money all along, ie. money from their Enemy.

Pakistan isn't an Arab country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Plenty of poor people in America that could do with such assistance.

They would probably be a lot more grateful to receive it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

You're assuming the people protesting now were the same people burning flags previously. They're probably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This is it ,you feed them with one hand and they stab you in return and your the bad guy ,
    Ever since the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan Pakistan has been heavily involved in playing both sides give us more money to stop the Taliban but you don't mind if we train and supply them to attack you ,in the name of friendship,
    It's the same for Palestinians and several other countries including iran ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The Pakistani military is the 6th largest in the world with an annual budget of $10.8 billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Great news. How stupid is it to supply money to a people who hate you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm guessing Palau and Panama are next on the list.

Let’s hope this hurts Hamas greatly. They remind me of sf over here. A crowd of charlatans..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Just more evidence that America cannot be an 'honest broker' for peace in the Middle East.

Being an 'honest broker' and spending this level of money for the past few decades hasn't exactly precipitated peace in the region either, so perhaps it's time for a dishonest broker and some more 'quid pro quo' in negotiations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Being an 'honest broker' and spending this level of money for the past few decades hasn't exactly precipitated peace in the region either, so perhaps it's time for a dishonest broker and some more 'quid pro quo' in negotiations.

Time for the strong to crush the weak. That’s what netanyahu says anyhoo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Who cares? Maybe build a giant wall cornering off that part of the world from the civilized part of the world should be in the works.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Taytoland wrote: »
    Who cares? Maybe build a giant wall cornering off that part of the world from the civilized part of the world should be in the works.

America has its issues but I don't think it's that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I find it hard to get excited about this whole Israel thingy.

I see people over here getting their knickers in knot about it.

Who cares ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

In steps China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I don’t see what the issue is? There are many wealthy Muslim, and Arab countries that, I’m sure will step up and help their fellow Muslims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

mad muffin wrote: »
    I do t see what the issue is? There are many wealthy Muslim, and Arab countries that , I’m sure will step up and help their fellow Muslims.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I can imagine many women and children depend on this aid for healthcare, education, food, etc... and I feel sorry for them. On the other hand, from reading the news, I was interested to see all the protests in these Arab countries about this aid being stopped - countries that normally burn the US flag and shout death to America.
    I am interested to see what your take is on the reaction in Palestine and Pakistan regarding the US aid being reduced and stopped in some cases?

Perhaps this is an ignorant or stupid question but is this simply a matter of the israel lobby just using their power or is there more to it?

I could never understand why the jews have so much influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Hamas uses the money to buy weapons to launch attacks against Israel. Maybe the Pakistani people should have thought about that before voting a Terrorist group into power. As Obama once said "Elections have consequences"

ebbsy wrote: »
    I find it hard to get excited about this whole Israel thingy.

I see people over here getting their knickers in knot about it.

Who cares ?

Israel only stole another peoples country. No stress.

Britain stole our country. Why did people bother fighting to take their own country back? Who'd be stupid enough to do such a thing?

The Palestinians hate America. Trump says feck you then and stops with the freebie handouts. The Palestinians deserve all they get. (Or no longer get in this case).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Israel only stole another peoples country. No stress.

Britain stole our country. Why did people bother fighting to take their own country back? Who'd be stupid enough to do such a thing?

The Un deemed the land Israel. Its not the Israelis fault that other Countries wanted to attack them, lost and lost their land to Israel in the process. They only have themselves for losing part of their land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    The Un deemed the land Israel. Its not the Israelis fault that other Countries wanted to attack them, lost and lost their land to Israel in the process. They only have themselves for losing part of their land.

The U.N can deem whatever they like. The fact remains that land was stolen. Simple as.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Not a hope of them cancelling any weapons deals though, no matter how many dozens of kids get blown up

timthumbni wrote: »
    The Palestinians hate America. Trump says feck you then and stops with the freebie handouts. The Palestinians deserve all they get. (Or no longer get in this case).

Really?

if your home was stolen would you congratulate the person that stole it from you?

Like f**k you would.

• Advertisement

This actually made me laugh in a perverse sort of way.

Not a hope of them cancelling any weapons deals though, no matter how many dozens of kids get blown up

Oddly, when it comes to industry the arms industry is probably one of their greatest earners.

Add wall street to the list and is it any wonder the world is in the state it's in?

, no matter how many dozens of kids get blown up

Kids blown up? That sounds very much like IRA talk to me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Why do they hate the American Establishment?

Because of their never ending support for Israeli ethnic cleansing?

Might be worth mentioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,061 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Well done President Trump! Pakistan who sheltered Bin Laden for years and the American hating Palestinians! Hoping he will turn the screw on Turkey next!

Zebra3 wrote: »

Why do they hate the American Establishment?

Because of their never ending support for Israeli ethnic cleansing?

Might be worth mentioning.

So they shouldn’t expect to get money from the yanks then, yes? Everyone’s better off. The Palis can have their integrity and the yanks can keep their money. It’s a win win situation...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Hamas uses the money to buy weapons to launch attacks against Israel. Maybe the Pakistani people should have thought about that before voting a Terrorist group into power. As Obama once said "Elections have consequences"

Anything to back up the claim that the $300 million paid to the UNRWA (UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestinian refugees ) is spent on weapons?
    They claim that it's paying towards schooling half a million kids, and healthcare for the people stuck in limbo, unwanted by Israel and unwanted by the neighbouring countries, used as political pawns.

Israel benefits by about $3 billion in US foreign aid each year, mostly military, so it's not about protecting US taxpayers?
    mad muffin wrote:
    I don’t see what the issue is? There are many wealthy Muslim, and Arab countries that, I’m sure will step up and help their fellow Muslims.
    Some have, Qatar saying $50 million, Saudi paid $50 million towards it earlier in the year. EU used to pay $150 million, half as much as the US, even less per capita, that will have to increase if the shortfall is to be made up.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/after-defunding-unrwa-us-said-seeking-to-limit-others-aid-to-it-then-close-it/
    officials noted that Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, and others have provided more than $200 million in new funding to help cover its budget this year.

What's the long term answer? The UN to duplicate history & declare a lump of land as the homeland for these people?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Not sure about Palestine, but a little more info from Reuters today about the Pakistan cancellation.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-pakistan-military-exclusive/exclusive-pentagon-cancels-aid-to-pakistan-over-record-on-militants-idUSKCN1LH3TA
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. military said it has made a final decision to cancel $300 million in aid to Pakistan that had been suspended over Islamabad’s perceived failure to take decisive action against militants, in a new blow to deteriorating ties.

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Plenty of poor people in America that could do with such assistance.

They would probably be a lot more grateful to receive it too.

The $300m cuts represent about 2 hours 40 minutes of US spending on Defence and the Three Letter Agencies.

The reality has always been
    Jim Hacker: "Math has become politicized: If it costs 5 billion pounds a year to maintain Britain's nuclear defences and 75 pounds a year to feed a starving African child, how many African children can be saved from starvation if the Ministry of Defence abandoned nuclear weapons?"

Sir Humphrey: "That's easy: none. They'd spend it all on conventional weapons."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

The U.N can deem whatever they like. The fact remains that land was stolen. Simple as.

Hasn’t this happened quite regularly throughout history? Should we give the Germans back Prussia or throw the Turks out of Constantinople?

I just don’t get that obsession with the Palestinian cause. They lost battles and this land- is this not something played out throughout history?

How do you feel about the ethnic Albanians in kosovo?

Not sure about Palestine, but a little more info from Reuters today about the Pakistan cancellation.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-pakistan-military-exclusive/exclusive-pentagon-cancels-aid-to-pakistan-over-record-on-militants-idUSKCN1LH3TA
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. military said it has made a final decision to cancel $300 million in aid to Pakistan that had been suspended over Islamabad’s perceived failure to take decisive action against militants, in a new blow to deteriorating ties.

The only thing unreasonable is that they were firing 300million at the Pakistanis in the first place. The UK fire money around in aid like confetti to countries who hate them. These countries should be told to feck off and paddle their own canoe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

China will probably step in to fill the gap...they have recently started giving aid to the Palestinians.
    In fact China is quietly moving into the middle east on all fronts.

Soon the only 'friends' America will have there is their parasite buddies in Israel and their head chopping, plane hijacking buddies in Saudi Arabia :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Wouldn't it be better to not make it harder for the new president, he's hardly an islamist, if there is no progress cancelling it might make sense but this seems like a poor move

I just don’t get that obsession with the Palestinian cause. They lost battles and this land- is this not something played out throughout history?

It's not history though, it's set to continue

While the US are looking for the west bank to become confederated with Jordan, political groups represented in the Knesset talk about annexing more of the west bank and denying citizenship to those caught by the changed border; purely because they think they can, through their government's force of arms.

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Likud-central-body-to-push-for-annexation-of-entire-West-Bank-520272

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-israel-palestinians-likud/likud-party-calls-for-de-facto-annexation-of-israeli-settlements-idUSKBN1EP0M2

"Palestinian cause" is supposed to be the UN declared human right to leave your country and return.

A million people stuck in refugee camps for decades.
    It has destabilizing effects on countries like Jordan.

(a country that had to cope with a million refugees from Iraq most of whom returned, then a million from Syria)

Jordan thinks that if they confederate, the Israeli government will force all other 'undesirables' upon them, and they'll have conflict with a highly militarized nation directly on their shared border, due to the settlers trying to change the border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

ressem wrote: »
    It's not history though, it's set to continue

While the US are looking for the west bank to become confederated with Jordan, political groups represented in the Knesset talk about annexing more of the west bank and denying citizenship to those caught by the changed border; purely because they think they can, through their government's force of arms.

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Likud-central-body-to-push-for-annexation-of-entire-West-Bank-520272

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-israel-palestinians-likud/likud-party-calls-for-de-facto-annexation-of-israeli-settlements-idUSKBN1EP0M2

"Palestinian cause" is supposed to be the UN declared human right to leave your country and return.

A million people stuck in refugee camps for decades.
    It has destabilizing effects on countries like Jordan.

(a country that had to cope with a million refugees from Iraq most of whom returned, then a million from Syria)

Jordan thinks that if they confederate, the Israeli government will force all other 'undesirables' upon them, and they'll have conflict with a highly militarized nation directly on their shared border, due to the settlers trying to change the border.

Kosovo- ethnic Albanians- same thing.
    An ethnic group move into a part of a country (a part that is quite important to Serb nationhood) and fight a war to declare themselves independent.

The similarities are uncanny- why don’t we discuss this ad finitum

An ethnic group move into a part of a country (a part that is quite important to Serb nationhood) and fight a war to declare themselves independent.

It's seen as mostly cooled down since 2001. The Albanian secessionists that tried to take control of Preševo, Bujanovac, and Medveđa from Serbia were driven out by the Serbian government with NATO help. Start up a separate thread if you want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Well done President Trump! Pakistan who sheltered Bin Laden for years and the American hating Palestinians! Hoping he will turn the screw on Turkey next!

Cant imagine why they hate them!...oh maybe it's the made in USA bombs and missiles blowing their kids to bits.

Might it be the US using its veto to block every reasonable UN resolution against Israel.

Hmmm I wonder..ahh no couldn't be anything like that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Victor wrote: »
    I'm guessing Palau and Panama are next on the list.

Papua New Guinea and Peru would be more sequential....

Kosovo Albanians have been the majority in Kosovo for hundreds of years.
    Serbians were in the middle ages, declining since then.
    They declared themselves independent after a war where Serbians ethnically cleansed as many Albanians as they could from the country.

lertsnim wrote: »
    In steps China.

Russia might make more sense..

Israel was created by Britain 30 or so years after the French & British carved up Palestine following WW1 resulting in the Arab Revolt of 1936-39. Anything done at or by the UN resulted from political jockeying by major powers afterwards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement