Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messages on Irish flags

• 02-09-2018 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭

This flashed up online earlier and I think it’s awful. I don’t know why but I find this really annoying. I know they did it for a laugh but writing “fat cuñt” on the Irish flag is shocking.

Plenty of people write messages on flags at matches and stuff - that stuff is fine because it isn’t offensive and I love seeing different parts of Ireland being represented at Irish games abroad but the flag in the attached photo is a joke.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The Department of An Taoiseach, which has responsibility for such matters has a long standing protocol that includes;

The National Flag should never be defaced by placing slogans, logos, lettering or pictures of any kind on it, for example at sporting events.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The National Flag should never be defaced by placing slogans, logos, lettering or pictures of any kind on it, for example at sporting events.

COYBIG.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Always laughed at the one I saw at a match years ok with "Edenmore AOK" emblazoned on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Motivator wrote: »
    This flashed up online earlier and I think it’s awful. I don’t know why but I find this really annoying. I know they did it for a laugh but writing “fat cuñt” on the Irish flag is shocking.

Plenty of people write messages on flags at matches and stuff - that stuff is fine because it isn’t offensive and I love seeing different parts of Ireland being represented at Irish games abroad but the flag in the attached photo is a joke.

Tell me more about this half ounce....?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

It’s better than ira scrawled on it I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

RasTa wrote: »
    COYBIG.jpg

Nothing about putting a wanker at one end of it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Definitely buying that half ounce with daddy's money those 3

I know they did it for a laugh

Don't mind writing on the Irish flag, but my humour must be terrible. I didn't see anything funny. Just some overbearing attention seekers. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Writing on the flag is disrespectful to Ireland and its people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Chewbacca wrote: »

I can live with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I can live with it.

Anyone called 'Bananahammock' can live with anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I'm more offended when Sinn Fein misappropriate the flag of the Republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What's the "your ma" referring to?
    Or is it just the worst slogan ever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Don't get it. Must be some knacker in-joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Awful flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's really not something worth getting bothered about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

kneemos wrote: »
    What's the "your ma" referring to?
    Or is it just the worst slogan ever?

Slang for “your mother”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Taytoland wrote: »
    Awful flag.

It’s not the nicest to look at tbh. I’m not a fan of tricolour flags in general. Pretty boring and nothing new. Scrawling on it makes It even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Patriots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I hate f*ckers that feel the need to scrawl ''Tranmere Rovers'' or ''Irish Blood, Scouse Heart'' on our flag at English football grounds. Idiots.

Anyone called 'Bananahammock' can live with anything.

You have to write it pretty small to get it on a flag, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Those messages say a lot more about the people who created them that anything else.

Strange how many people who do it are ardent nationalists when you get talking to them. Another thing that I find odd are half and half flags. Have seen flags which has Ireland on one side and Palestine on the other. That's offensive to both surely?
    Omackeral wrote: »
    I hate f*ckers that feel the need to scrawl ''Tranmere Rovers'' or ''Irish Blood, Scouse Heart'' on our flag at English football grounds. Idiots.

Is that last message for real? I've heard Irish Liverpool fans singing "We're not Irish, we are scouse" in the airport a few years back, so I wouldn't be surprised.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I saw some lad with the flag draped around his waist last year. Young Sinn Féin member and a fervant nationalist. I thought draping the flag over his arse was fairly ****ing disrespectful. Same goes for defacing it with slogans.

I'm a stickler for tradition and respect when it comes to flags and anthems though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The sneachta slang seems to be a reference to some young person youtube video or something thats been doing the rounds recently, but I've never seen the original.. I'm just not with it anymore and what's it seems weird and scary to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Both from this song, dunno about Ketamine but We Sell Brown is hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

The sneachta slang seems to be a reference to some young person youtube video or something thats been doing the rounds recently, but I've never seen the original.. I'm just not with it anymore and what's it seems weird and scary to me

It’s from a song by versatile who are playing at EP. cracking tune.

joeguevara wrote: »
    It’s from a song by versatile who are playing at EP. cracking tune.

Wow irish rap that's not a parody or totally ****, God that makes me feel out of the loop

A hint of the Prodigy about them.

Not a bad little ditty.

• Advertisement

Fecking hilarious, thanks for the suggestion 'you can't spell heroin without hero'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Both are quotes from the song "ketamine" by the Irish rap duo Versatile who are playing at EP, I presume they're going to see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

This is the first time I didn't go to to the Electric Picnic (14 years, maaan), but I would have, if I knew that particular noise would be there! Funny stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

kneemos wrote: »
    A hint of the Prodigy about them.

Not a bad little ditty.

A bit of early Eminem on there too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Berserker wrote: »
    Strange how many people who do it are ardent nationalists when you get talking to them. Another thing that I find odd are half and half flags. Have seen flags which has Ireland on one side and Palestine on the other. .

https://i.imgur.com/fsABgvO.png ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Both are quotes from the song "ketamine" by the Irish rap duo Versatile who are playing at EP, I presume they're going to see them.

well, they're at the wrong festival so...

• Advertisement

Just to get back to the flags for a second, I think what offends me the most is the perfect painting on the flag, they probably even got it printed up.. like why would you bother?

Just to get back to the flags for a second, I think what offends me the most is the perfect painting on the flag, they probably even got it printed up.. like why would you bother?

Desperate for attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Awful flag.
    But it represents you. The green is for your Irishness, the orange is for your Orangeness and the white is for the empty space between your ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

It's three patches of coloured fabric.

Chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Such nonsence about a poxy flag. Up there with taking a knee during an anthem. People turn silly over a few colurs. There's no Irish flag God in the sky who's going to rain down a plague upon all our houses because a piece of fabric touched the ground.

Leave the fanatical worshipping of flags, symbols and fairy God's to those idiots up in the 6 counties. It gives them a reason to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

So is nobody even going to mention the guy in the OPs picture who has a rainbow coming out of the back of his head. Must have to do some serious partying to get that kind of Yellow Submarine sh*t going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Such nonsence about a poxy flag. Up there with taking a knee during an anthem. People turn silly over a few colurs. There's no Irish flag God in the sky who's going to rain down a plague upon all our houses because a piece of fabric touched the ground.

Leave the fanatical worshipping of flags, symbols and fairy God's to those idiots up in the 6 counties. It gives them a reason to live.

Absolutely spot on. Nothing says 'chip on the shoulder' better than a flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I couldn't give a shite personally. It's a piece of fabric. If someone wants to buy one and write nonsensical shite on it it's no skin off my nose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Awful flag.
    But it represents you. The green is for your Irishness, the orange is for your Orangeness and the white is for the empty space between your ears.
    Doesn't represent me whatsoever. Insulting posters a valid argument does not make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

When the DrumpfuKKK comes over in November he'll think we designed the flag specially for him: Green for Ireland, Orange for him and white for the skin colour he loves.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Who in God's name would agree to print such things on the flag.

Vicious profanity and references to illegal drug usage.

In certain nations you'd be locked up for desecrating the national flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Who in God's name would agree to print such things on the flag.

Vicious profanity and references to illegal drug usage.

In certain nations you'd be locked up for desecrating the national flag.

Thank God this country isn’t one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Why is AH becoming Ireland’s Brietbart?

Nobody in Ireland gives a fcuk about over the top fake patriotism and symbol worship that dominates far right America.

I don’t need a flag or feel the need to suck the troops dicks to prove I’m Irish. I’m Irish because I’m Irish. Burn the flag for all I care, not getting offended about a bit of material burning, doesn’t change how Irish I am or my level of proudness to be Irish (whatever proudness of nationality means).

Hazys wrote: »
    Why is AH becoming Ireland’s Brietbart?

Nobody in Ireland gives a fcuk about over the top fake patriotism and symbol worship that dominates far right America.

I don’t need a flag or feel the need to suck the troops dicks to prove I’m Irish. I’m Irish because I’m Irish. Burn the flag for all I care, not getting offended about a bit of material burning, doesn’t change how Irish I am or my level of proudness to be Irish (whatever proudness of nationality means).

AH has gone down the rabbit hole. Unreadable idiotic right wing safe zone.

Doesn't represent me whatsoever. Insulting posters a valid argument does not make.

If you think uttering the term 'awful flag' on its own is a valid argument then that's an insult to valid arguments.

• Advertisement
Advertisement