Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the HP Pavilion 590-a0205nd a good PC for me?

Options
  • 02-09-2018 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello all,

My PC recently went faulty, and I am considering buying the following PC at €399 from Komplett.ie.

I primarily want it for using Microsoft office and printing. But I also occasionally play games. My old PC has a Radeon Sapphire graphics card in it which I hope to fit into the new PC mentioned above.

The specs are:

Specifications
    Brand: HP
    Product number: 20892636
    Product number manufacturer: 4TZ26EA#ABH
    Audio
    Audio output channels: 5.1 channels
    Certificates
    Energy Star certified:
    EPEAT compliance: Silver
    Connectivity
    Combo headphone/microphone port:
    DC-in:
    DVI ports:
    HDMI ports: 1
    HDMI version: 1.4
    Headphone out: 1
    LAN (RJ-45) ports: 1
    Microphone port(s):
    USB 2.0 ports: 2
    USB 3.1 (Gen 1) type A ports: 4
    VGA (D-Sub) ports: 1
    Energy management
    Power supply: 65 W
    Graphics
    GFX model: Not available
    Memory
    Clock speed: 1866 MHz
    Memory layout: 1 x 8 GB
    Memory type: DDR4-SDRAM
    RAM: 8 GB
    Networking
    Bluetooth:
    Bluetooth version: 4.2
    Network speed (LAN): 10,100,1000 Mbit/s
    Network technology (wired):
    Wi-Fi standard: IEEE 802.11ac
    Wireless LAN (WiFi):
    Operating system/software
    Operating system: Windows 10 Home
    Operating system architecture: 64-bit
    Optical drive
    Optical drive: DVD Super Multi
    Packaging content
    Display included:
    Physical characteristics
    Chassis type: Desktop
    Colour of product: Black
    Depth: 277 mm
    Form factor: PC
    Height: 338 mm
    Width: 170 mm
    Processor
    Graphics processor: AMD Radeon R4
    Number of cores: 2
    Number of processors installed: 1
    Processor cache: 1 MB
    Processor clock speed: 2.6 GHz
    Processor clock speed (Boost): 3 GHz
    Processor family: AMD A6
    Storage media
    Card reader:
    Hard drive interface: Serial ATA
    HDD storage capacity: 1000 GB
    Number of hard drives installed: 1
    Number of storage drives installed: 1
    Rotational speed: 7200 RPM
    Storage media type: HDD
    Total storage capacity: 1000 GB

If you are still with me thanks for taking the time to read all of that, any advice would be helpful.

Regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Where is OK for office applications/work, this PC have limited upgrade capabilities - Form factor: mini ITX. By looks of it you wont be able to fit you graphics as there is no PCI ports on motherboard. See full specifications on official HP site
    Also, would recommend to get SSD into it and use existing 1Tb HDD as storage only.
    For games you need gaming PC - it will run Office OK, not other way around

c06041111.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No, it's garbage. The A6 is a terrible CPU and you cannot install a graphics card.

Better off buying a new i3-based machine that has a pci-e lane free.

Even a 2nd hand i3-3220 or similar off Ebay for €80 would be twice as fast and more upgradable.

What sort of games are we talking about and what's your old card? Big difference between playing something like Counter Strike and Battlefield 1 online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 guerilla86

No, it's garbage. The A6 is a terrible CPU and you cannot install a graphics card.

Better off buying a new i3-based machine that has a pci-e lane free.

Even a 2nd hand i3-3220 or similar off Ebay for €80 would be twice as fast and more upgradable.

What sort of games are we talking about and what's your old card? Big difference between playing something like Counter Strike and Battlefield 1 online.

Well I have a few real time strategy games(Age of Empires I, II & III, the old fallout series, Colflict World in Flames, might pick up an "Anno" game, but I wouldn't be pc gamer primarily as I have a PS4. Just don't want to waste a good Graphics card. The card itself is a Sapphire Radeon HD 7850, 1GB GDDR5, lite.

Thanks for responding.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

guerilla86 wrote: »
    Well I have a few real time strategy games(Age of Empires I, II & III, the old fallout series, Colflict World in Flames, might pick up an "Anno" game, but I wouldn't be pc gamer primarily as I have a PS4. Just don't want to waste a good Graphics card. The card itself is a Sapphire Radeon HD 7850, 1GB GDDR5, lite.

Thanks for responding.

Get a better replacement PC and sell the existing graphics card, else as advised get a PC that can take the Radeon card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The 7850 is still OK but the 1GB version is crippled by the low vram these days (though still fine for AOE, Fallout 3, etc).

Would you buy 2nd hand? You'd get a half decent 2nd/3rd gen i5 based machine with 8GB ram and a PSU to support that HD7850 off Ebay for €150 or so.

Or we could find you something locally on adverts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement