Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

half marathons

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

My pb was about4 years ago and the only hill I remember was the one up around Thomond park...I presume they've changed the route??

The hill at thomond is gone but the last couple of miles have a couple of nasty drags.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

Must give a shout out to Clonmel here. Fantastic race, not Charleville flat but still i would prefer it.

Anybody have any idea if Tullamore half is good??

Pb course??

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

Galway Bay is very flat but 4 repeat loops if I remember rightly.
    Bohermeen is also quite flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

noelearly wrote: »
    Must give a shout out to Clonmel here. Fantastic race, not Charleville flat but still i would prefer it.

Pb course??

Tullamore is a good race, but I am not sure you could call it a PB course, tullamore translated into irish is great hill or mound ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

For anyone up North, Newry is on next Sunday the 26th and is meant to be very flat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Nuttzz wrote: »
    Tullamore is a good race, but I am not sure you could call it a PB course, tullamore translated into irish is great hill or mound ;)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107653304

Last year's thread. Best HM in Ireland in my opinion with all the facilities on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

Pb course??

Clonmel and charleville are easier courses. Tullamore is a super well organised event. if its all about a pb then yes there are much faster courses. but if you want a challenging but fair course then Tullamore would be a good choice. ive yet to see a better organised event that ive done myself anyway.

The course has no major hills but a few longish drags that seems to sap the energy levels. the first half has a long enough drag on a quiet bog road. have done it 3 times and each time i saw a large number of good runners blowing up in the later stages. granted the last few years were very hot and the runners finishing in the mid day heat so that was probably a factor as it only starts around 11am i think.

Tommy Max wrote: »
    Clonmel and charleville are easier courses. Tullamore is a super well organised event. if its all about a pb then yes there are much faster courses. but if you want a challenging but fair course then Tullamore would be a good choice. ive yet to see a better organised event that ive done myself anyway.

The course has no major hills but a few longish drags that seems to sap the energy levels. the first half has a long enough drag on a quiet bog road. have done it 3 times and each time i saw a large number of good runners blowing up in the later stages. granted the last few years were very hot and the runners finishing in the mid day heat so that was probably a factor as it only starts around 11am i think.

Clonmel and Charleville don't suit me this year so think it looks like Tullamore it is. I also see one in Roscommon call the Go Ros Run?? Elevation profile looks good anyway.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/496008944

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Clonmel and Charleville don't suit me this year so think it looks like Tullamore it is. I also see one in Roscommon call the Go Ros Run?? Elevation profile looks good anyway.

Got my pb in that one last year. It's a fair course but definitely not flat (my watch recorded an elevation gain of 390 ft). I can't compare it to Charleville or Clonmel as I haven't done those but I certainly would do it again. It's a very small field though if you're looking for a race or like to be in a pack. But overall very peaceful running on quiet country roads and well organised with parking, water tables etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

ariana` wrote: »
    Got my pb in that one last year. It's a fair course but definitely not flat (my watch recorded an elevation gain of 390 ft). I can't compare it to Charleville or Clonmel as I haven't done those but I certainly would do it again. It's a very small field though if you're looking for a race or like to be in a pack. But overall very peaceful running on quiet country roads and well organised with parking, water tables etc.

It's not flat for a HM (but not terrible either).

The food after has to be seen to be believed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Did Galway Bay last year for the marathon. 4 x 10k loops with a bit extra for the distance. Very flat course but your weather dependant if going for a pb. Can be open enough so be tough in a wind

Course changed for the gingerbread half marathon last year. It was a PB course but not with the change in route. Probably one of the nicer routes around but plenty of hills on this one.

Tullamore would be a good route also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

Whats Run Killarney Half marathon course like?

Would it be a PB course? Going to run it anyway as have heard good things about the event overall

deisedude wrote:
    Would it be a PB course? Going to run it anyway as have heard good things about the event overall

The downside to Killarney half is because a huge chunk of it is downhill its hard to match that pb in the future on more normal terrain. Haha.

Kellygirl has run it a few times. I've only done the 10k. Very good event overall. Very very early start and standing around in Molls Gap for the half marathoners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

The downside to Killarney half is because a huge chunk of it is downhill its hard to match that pb in the future on more normal terrain. Haha.

Kellygirl has run it a few times. I've only done the 10k. Very good event overall. Very very early start and standing around in Molls Gap for the half marathoners

Haha I'll take whatever advantage i can get!

deisedude wrote: »

Buddy did it last year and got 1.19, a 4 minute Pb. Has a big net downhill elevation so if your looking for a realistic Marathon indicator this isn't it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Does the Tullaroan races have prices? winners, age catagory wins ect. Seems like a lot of races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭Sorbet

Anyone any feedback on the Kildare thoroughbred half (they do 5/10 & full marathon too)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Did my first half in Lough Boora earlier this year. It's a very flat course and was well ran.
    I ran about 6 minutes faster than I thought i would (hard to judge projected pace when it's the first).
    The only thing about Boora is that it's very exposed, we had a great day but on a bad day it could be horrible, like The canal in Mullingar.

Off to Portumna on the 8th for a first lash at a PB. Heard it's very flat too but can't say for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Killarney half looks unreal but why is it so expensive? 55 is a bit steep!

Pink11 wrote: »

Because it's Killarney. I paid 5 euro for a soggy slice of Pizza there last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

deisedude wrote: »

I did the half there last year. It starts on a downhill, flattens out for a bit and then you have a few steep miles of downhill. I held myself back too much there last year for fear of injury. It then becomes quite undulating and takes a while for your legs to adjust from the downhill. It’s tough on the legs but a great run. It’s a really early start as they bus you up to Moll’s Gap really early and can be very cold up there. But, you could throw a bag on the lorry up there anyway and collect it at the other end.

Pink11 wrote:

Yeah it's pricey. It includes the bus up to Molls Gap. Running through Molls Gap and national park,chip timed, t-shirt and medal, a burger I think? Basically it all adds up. You're paying for the location too. It's quite popular

You are paying for buses to Moll’s gap and also entry into the national park. There’s food etc after too. It is expensive but one of the better ones.

Ah fair enough that makes sense!

Might add this one to the wishlist.

Anyone know if there are any halfs this weekend? (besides Tullaroan) I'd prefer Sunday if possible.

Cork but entry is closed at this stage.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Cork but entry is closed at this stage.

Thanks I missed the online deadline for this by hours was so disappointed.

Tullaroan half, full, 10k, ultra online entries for Saturday close this evening for anyone interested:

https://tullaroanmarathon.com/

Thanks I missed the online deadline for this by hours was so disappointed.

Tullaroan half, full, 10k, ultra online entries for Saturday close this evening for anyone interested:

https://tullaroanmarathon.com/

Might be worth giving Cork and e-mail very good at accommodating.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭chrismean

I am guessing that the dublin half in sept is hilly? I haven’t done any research on it, other than a friend saying it was hilly and windy

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

It's phoenix Park, so will include some climbs in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭kiloecho15

Sorbet wrote: »
    Anyone any feedback on the Kildare thoroughbred half (they do 5/10 & full marathon too)?

I have run the Kildare thoroughbred half and full marathon for the last few years. The half marathon is one lap and full two laps. There is a field of over 700 runners in the half. The route is mainly on rural roads around Kildare and the Curragh. just one hill on the course and is within the 2-3 miles and then it is rolling inclines. Good atmosphere and food after. a good fair run. Think it is sold out by now

Advertisement