Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When did you realise you weren’t really a young person anymore?

• 02-09-2018 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Was there ever that feeling of ‘drifting further’ from the life that was really normal to you, for example in your late teens early twenties the normal thing to do for a few years was be with the same friends, go on mad nights out, not thinking too much ahead,
    How did you come to not doing this anymore? And did you ever have a moment where you realised you were drifting further and further away from your ‘younger life’ and beginning to enjoy life in other ways?

Or am I just going crazy? Or am I really preparing to leave my youth behind, and almost want to?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

When you look at a festival lineup and don't recognise a single name on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

daughter at E P. checked out the lineup....prodigy and after that i was struggling

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

When I was asked to mind the bags in a night club- I always asked the oldies to mind the bags

sundodger5 wrote: »
    daughter at E P. checked out the lineup....prodigy and after that i was struggling

Yeah I think EP did it for me too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Ha, In all seriousness though did you find yourself drifting from friends you would’ve been very close to? Losing things in common?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭2016

Was there ever that feeling of ‘drifting further’ from the life that was really normal to you, for example in your late teens early twenties the normal thing to do for a few years was be with the same friends, go on mad nights out, not thinking too much ahead,
    How did you come to not doing this anymore? And did you ever have a moment where you realised you were drifting further and further away from your ‘younger life’ and beginning to enjoy life in other ways?

Or am I just going crazy? Or am I really preparing to leave my youth behind, and almost want to?

When I realised that the soccer players that were my 'heroes' were now younger than me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

The times I've ended up staying in a hospital ward mostly full of elderly folk, albeit with conditions similar to what a lot of elderly people deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Going from a head of wild curls to a strong widows peak at 20 had a very profound effect on me in terms of the feelings of moving on in life. Kind of like being expelled from youth too early. In hindsight, it was something like a midlife based on that and many other things that were happening in my life at the time that I wasn't very happy about.

These days, I adjust to getting older quite well... I've been doing it for ages. The only alternative to getting older is dying and it's more important to be you at age _ than to be you the _ year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

When I got in trouble for asking a 15-year-old out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The knees!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

When I looked at my bookshelf, and all the books I have yet to read, and realised that I won't get around to all of them.

When I started working with people who were not even born before I sat the leaving cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

The first time i checked to see the immersion was turned off:(

Paulzx wrote: »
    The first time i checked to see the immersion was turned off:(

Ridiculous.
    Just leave it on 24/7 it's far better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Was at a family event a few years back and my significantly younger sister in law dragged me out to a bar afterwards as she had nobody else to go out with. It was the ‘in’ place for the young wans at the time and was a bit on the wild side. I would have loved it in my teens and early twenties but after entering the place I immediately regretted my decision. Thoughts along the lines of ‘wtf am I doing here’ were running through my head as I sipped my pint. It was at that point I realised I was no longer young and cool.

Ha, In all seriousness though did you find yourself drifting from friends you would’ve been very close to? Losing things in common?

Not really that but I noticed at one point, that around the office a lot of the people I used to go party with when I started there, now have kids and dont come out no more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

When you meet your friends for long overdue drinks and go at it like your 18 but end up with a week long hangover!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Tbh this post stems from me getting an unusual liking for gardening... wanting to stay in every Saturday night and save for holidays.. I feel like my granny.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I used to work on a University campus in my late twenties. I didn't get handed a single flyer about any of the nights out.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The day I woke up and I was 30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

When new people starting at your place of work weren't even born when you first started working there.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

It occurred to me recently that most of the people who did their Leaving Cert this year wouldn't have been born when I did mine.

Ah well, dead soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

When people started borrowing my tools and ladder :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

When I was able to leaf through a broadsheet newspaper tidily without it turning into some unfoldable mass of creases with half the pages falling out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

when I started forgetting to knock the gas off

It occurred to me recently that most of the people who did their Leaving Cert this year wouldn't have been born when I did mine.

Ah well, dead soon.

Would you g'wayouttadat. You're the same age as me :p

I can't recall any particular moment where I felt "I'm old now". Things are different alright. My tolerance for booze and hangovers is very low. And bullshít. Oh and I've become more odd. Muttering to myself and getting stuck in little routines. Thats the extent of it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I intend to stay hip and cool forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Verity.

Tbh this post stems from me getting an unusual liking for gardening...

Ahh.. the gardening bug. Have you told anyone 'its actually very therapeutic' yet? You score even more oldie points when most of the people you're saying it to are in full agreement. Nobody thinks it's weird anymore.

Try tell the twenty something me that about gardening, I'd probably have reacted like you were trying to suck me into an oldies cult of some sort.

For me, the clock started ticking when I had children. My eldest are in their teens now, and nearly everything they say ages you. The younger of the teenagers likes to ask me (semi-jokingly) was I around when electricity was invented. I'm 'only' in my late thirties... The little shìt. -_-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

When I was dropped from corner forward and my son took my place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

When the “World Wide Web” came out. Something to do with computers I think. But it’s all gobbledegook to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Climbing over fences. Wondering if clothes you're about to buy are comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Most people going to EP haven't a notion who's playing.

Festivals in Ireland have been terrible the last few years.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

When dying my hair became necessary to cover the greys, as opposed to just when I felt like changing the colour.

When Tesco stopped asking me for ID if I'm buying booze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

when you go to a party , wedding etc and work out where to sit based on how far from the noise you can get.

or parking the car so you can go home at a reasonable time and not get parked behind.

the biggest on for me was a few months ago. i was in a chipper and talking to the women behind the counter . got onto films. someone mentioned shrek and the young woman says oh i love old films like that. turns out the film was older than she was. i remember going to see that film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

When hairs started growing out of my ears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The sports stars for me. You see these professionals who are raking in the cash, called Veterans, professonals, etc etc.

I was 18 or 19. One minute it's like 'boom, the Leaving Cert is done!'. The next 'these guys have booming professions, and I'm looking for a job'. I annoy people tho, I'm a total dreamer, as in complete fantasist, love my imagination.

I've been lucky, I tend to pace myself when drinking, always have, so hangovers weren't an issue. All you have to do is drink liquids and sleep well. Always prided myself on being able to handle alcohol better than others, older and younger, but then again I've never over done it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

When I was able to leaf through a broadsheet newspaper tidily without it turning into some unfoldable mass of creases with half the pages falling out.

I'm still young and I can't do that. I have to have the paper flat on the table to read it.

I always feel old when I hear some of the younger girls at work talking about lads and I'm instinctively like "oh, who's this now?" before realising they're in TY or something and I'm too old to know anyone in their year :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

For me it was when I heard Eminem being played on the radio.

The Larry Gogan golden hour. Died a little inside that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

When me and Mrs smartinmartina were invited to a 21st a couple of years ago. We were sitting down about a half hour when it suddenly dawned on me, "Fcuk, we're seated at the old people's table!". Really hated that. Still do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    I'm still young and I can't do that. I have to have the paper flat on the table to read it.

I always feel old when I hear some of the younger girls at work talking about lads and I'm instinctively like "oh, who's this now?" before realising they're in TY or something and I'm too old to know anyone in their year :o

I had to try and hold it together (not laugh) when I heard a girl, who had just turned 18 shout 'I am so OLD!!!!'.

I was only a few years older than her, and was kind of laughing at it. Then realised, oh wait, I'm a guy-society treats us a lot differently. So for her, 20 is gonna feel middle aged. While a guy at 50 will be like 'Time to hit the bars'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

When I see young members of an Garda and wonder are they old enough to be driving that car :D
    When filling out an on line application and having to scroll down forever to find my birth year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Stared blankly into space sitting around a fire reciting tales to a few mid 20s folk and said "Back in my day".

I'm 31 ffs, too early for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

When in the shower and each time there's enough hair in the bottom to line a birds nest.

I'm 45 and still have long hair and wear AC/DC t-shirts and "try" to keep living the rocker lifestyle. But it's getting harder......can't drink as much as I used to and the bones creak if I've been sitting down too long.

Jeez, this is getting depressing! Have to break open a bottle of JD and turn the radio up to maybe 6. Can't put it too loud - it's 2:20am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm in the early half of my late twenties.
    I recently saw videos on YouTube when they played music for teenagers and they had to say if they knew the song or not.
    They had no idea who Snow Patrol, Kylie Minogue, etc were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

When someone offered to loan me the latest Now That's What I Call Music compilation, in case I wanted to copy the CDs or rip some MP3s. I recognised about 4 songs.

When I started seeing teenage girls wearing the same sort of ripped denim jeans, shoes and t-shirts I wore in the late 1980s...

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

In rave in the woods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 thewolfisloose

When the page 3 girls were younger than me; that freaked me right out. A more real example would be getting on the bus and the driver is younger than you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

When your dentist looks like a teenager.

when an actual young person went by me with the ball and i blew my knee out trying to catch him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Making noises every time I stand up or sit down, this old fogey creaks.

When I'm listening to an "old school" music show on the radio and the dj plays a song and I think to myself "sure, what's that doing on there, that was out when I was young..."

When I have to input my date of birth on an online form and it calculates my age, obviously I know my age but seeing it there in black and white hits me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement