Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When did you realise you weren’t really a young person anymore?

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

Back when I commuted to work by car in the U.K. and I realised my preferred radio station had changed from Capital or Kiss to BBC Radio 2. It dawned on me that I’d hit middle age ten years ahead of schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭buswankers

Back when I commuted to work by car in the U.K. and I realised my preferred radio station had changed from Capital or Kiss to BBC Radio 2. It dawned on me that I’d hit middle age ten years ahead of schedule

This.
    I find myself looking forward to the Matt Cooper show in the evenings on the way home from work & even listen back to it later then on the podcast - my younger siblings slag me at the radio stations I have on in my car - Newstalk & Today FM :o Instead of Spin and iRadio :o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

RayCun wrote: »
    Of course you think they're better, you grew up with them.

Again, I didn't say that they're "better." I said that music from the '60s through '90s has remarkable enduring influence and staying power that music from the 2000s and 2010s seems unlikely to achieve.

Plenty of young people today are listening to, and flocking to concerts by, the likes of U2, AC/DC, Metallica, Guns 'n' Roses, Iron Maiden, etc.

When I was a kid in the '80s, young people weren't heading to see bands who were big in the '50s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Again, I didn't say that they're "better." I said that music from the '60s through '90s has remarkable enduring influence and staying power that music from the 2000s and 2010s seems unlikely to achieve.

Plenty of young people today are listening to, and flocking to concerts by, the likes of U2, AC/DC, Metallica, Guns 'n' Roses, Iron Maiden, etc.

When I was a kid in the '80s, young people weren't heading to see bands who were big in the '50s.

Let's be fair about it, those big stadium tours are the equivalent of oldies tours, usually attended by people nearing or in middle age, with a couple of quid now in their pockets, bringing their kids along to see the bands they loved as a teenager themselves. I bet less than a fifth of that crowd has bought an album from any of those acts that was released after 1995.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Our music really was better.
    Again, I didn't say that they're "better."

:pac:

That was my point about the availability of music (and books etc). And maybe a generational change, at some point adults decided to stop "growing up".

My parents didn't really expect to hear music for them on the radio. There were only a few stations, and they played chart music, which was for young people. Sure, you'd get older songs played in between the talking on RTE1, and golden oldie shows at certain times, but 2FM was for the kids.

Now there are more stations, and more ways to listen to music, and old people expect to have stations like Nova that play old people music all the time. (And movies and tv shows use that old people music to set a tone) Young people hear more 80's music than I heard 50's music. (My parents would still tell you that the 50's music was better of course. )

So there is some element of old bands finding a new audience. But there's also a large element of old bands playing to the same audience as they always did, but that audience now doesn't find it odd to pay 100 euro to see a bunch of people their age creaking around a stage. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Ten years ago this month, topping the charts were:

Katy Perry
    Pussycat Dolls
    Oasis
    The Verve
    Kings of Leon

I'd argue that Oasis have staying power but if you think we'll be listening to the rest in 30 years, you're mad.

Yet music from the late 70s, early 80s is on all the time. People actively seek it out on streaming services, MP3 players etc.

Hell, the Beatles, Stones, Beach Boys etc are still playing on radio regularly and we're talking after 60 years.

Some modern music is good (Adele can write and carry a tune - schmaltzy garbage a lot may be) but generally speaking most is uber processed manufactured image led crap.

Some of Adele's songs make me contemplate suicide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Scherzinger is still hot at 40 but at 50 ? I doubt it!!!

Livin La Vida Loca is a classic in the sense that Copacabana is - you know it's crap but it has a kind of "lame but good" quality to it!

Perry has 3 years left, tops.

Or until her tits start going south involuntarily.

Whichever comes first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

My point was about enduring influence, which is difficult to dispute. Songs such as Queen's "I Want to Break Free," Phil Collins' "Against All Odds," Bob Marley's "One Love," Kenny Loggins "Footloose," and Lionel Richie's "Hello" are still played regularly on the radio and featured in TV shows and movies.

The most popular Christmas songs on Irish radio include Wham's "Last Christmas," Band Aid's "Do They Know it's Christmas?" (1984), Chris Rea's "Driving Home for Christmas" (1988), and "Fairytale of New York" (1988). All of them from the '80s.

I also often see Irish teenagers sporting Iron Maiden and AC/DC T-shirts, even though Angus Young is probably the same age as their grandfather. Why are they still listening to this music?

In 2052, 34 years from now, will people still be listening to the likes of Kendrick Lamar? I doubt it, personally.

Half of them probably bought them in Penneys and don't have a clue about the bands

Or until her tits start going south involuntarily.

Whichever comes first

Classy…

• Advertisement

Half of them probably bought them in Penneys and don't have a clue about the bands

The amount of teenage girls that I used to see wearing Ramones t-shirts a couple of years ago was unreal. I'd wager none of them had actually ever listened to them at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Classy…

Fair point though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Come to think of it, even when I was young there were bands like the Rolling Stones, that kept touring and releasing records, mainly to the same people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Hate to break it to people as well but I'd say this new fangled hippity hop might be more than a flash in the pan :pac:

After consecutive generations of it being the in-thing I should think so

I can sort of understand actual music seeming old hat and uncool, particularly with the technology producing such slick backing tracks and with geetars reduced to the domain of Academics each new wave of rappers must seem like the new street punks but their beats are boring their ethos is greed. It’s just as played out by now anyway but some MTV magnate instilled the foundations and so hip hop is a way of life yo ~ there’s no end in sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

fryup wrote: »
    4fm is best for the oldies
    When I read this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

The amount of teenage girls that I used to see wearing Ramones t-shirts a couple of years ago was unreal. I'd wager none of them had actually ever listened to them at all.

You might be surprised.

I know plenty of young people who are into the Beatles, Bob Dylan, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, the Ramones, etc.

• Advertisement

You might be surprised.

I know plenty of young people who are into the Beatles, Bob Dylan, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, the Ramones, etc.

I would have been incredibly surprised if all the thousands of teenage girls that bought the Ramones Crest t-shirts when they were on sale in Topshop at that time were fans of Johnny, Dee Dee, Joey and Tommy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Aside from a few sports related injuries and "mechanical" ailments, I'm more or less the same person I ever was: my hobbies and interests haven't really changed since I was 15, I haven't suddenly dropped everything and became a TV watching, wine & cheese tasting fart upon passing the 35 mark. Yeah, I don't use Twitter, Instagram nor Snapchat but that's because I can't imagine how anybody would be interested in pictures of what I'm about to eat or a blow-to-blow description of my morning shave, sh1t and shower routine. Plus, I've always been more of a "flying under the radar" type rather than the bombastic "everyone, look at me!" fella.

I guess the biggest difference is that I'm realizing that in a social context, be it professional or personal, younger people expect me to be some point of reference - the guy who has a solution or at least a good suggestion. I guess that's what's normally called "responsibility".

As for the music...it's an interesting subject; Today, there seems to be an excessive predominance of dubstep-inspired, absurdly syncopated styles that are entirely industrial/artificial in nature, specifically studied by marketers to appeal to a very young audience. Which would be fine - plenty of music of this kind in the decades, think about the rap/hip hop and dubstep wave in the 90s; Back then however, the catalogs weren't exclusively decided by marketing departments and there was variety (for each Puff Daddy you got Oasis or Pearl Jam), today there's a great lack of variety - and this is not a subjective matter, it's scientifically measurable as this interesting article from the Smithsonian magazine illustrates:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/science-proves-pop-music-has-actually-gotten-worse-8173368/

We still hear a lot of music from the 60s to 90s decades but keep in mind - what we hear are the best and/or most influential pieces of the time. There was plenty of muck coming out that we don't hear anymore.

One thing I noticed is that the "modern classics" tend to have one of these characteristics:

- The song(s) can be taken out of their time/context easily;
    - The tune is upbeat, powerful or catchy, regardless of the tempo;
    - They flow smoothly and harmonically, without syncopation or excessive pauses;

So yes, most likely some modern songs will go on to be "future classics" - but it will probably be a fine and somewhat weird selection process. For example, Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" will most likely be heard years form now; Some valley-of-tears lament like "Hello", maybe not so much. Even something caonsidered utter shoit3 like Katy Perry's "I kissed a girl" might make it - it's upbeat, catchy, carefree and can be taken out of context easily.

Stuff that is exceedingly negative, broken down, imbued with reference to current times, maybe not so much - Kendrik Lemar singing about "going viral" will probably sound like alien farting in 30 years time. Afterall, how much rap, hip hop or eurodance from the 1990s do you hear today?

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Stuff that is exceedingly negative, broken down, imbued with reference to current times, maybe not so much - Kendrik Lemar singing about "going viral" will probably sound like alien farting in 30 years time. Afterall, how much rap, hip hop or eurodance from the 1990s do you hear today?

Loads. Still listen to a lot of rap and hip hop from that era. Wu Tang Clan, A Tribe Called Quest, Digable Planets, Black Star, Us3, Ninja Tunes, Beastie Boys...

Never liked Eurodance but I liked my jungle, some trance from the likes of the Platipus and Hook labels and acts like Orbital, Underworld and Chemical Brothers. Would still give them a spin these days. Managed to finally pick up the Orbital Brown album on vinyl after all these years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

The recent encounters when I've been on a train, in time consuming queues and doctors waiting rooms...

...And I've become "The Man"

and I'll bet anyone wearing nike air jordans, a Chicago bulls hat and such NFL/World cup/NBA/formula one/GAA apparel and the likes know feck all about those leagues or sports either.....what's your point

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

When the riding is down to every second day.

rusty cole wrote: »
    and I'll bet anyone wearing nike air jordans, a Chicago bulls hat and such NFL/World cup/NBA/formula one/GAA apparel and the likes know feck all about those leagues or sports either.....what's your point

Someone was talking about younger people wearing band T-shirts of vintage acts to show how young people were still listening to these bands. I was pointing to one example of why that mightn't be the case. What's your problem with that?

It was New Year morning, 2010, I was lying in bed with a hangover and, to compound my agony, my other-half leaned over and plucked my first grey hair from my head.

Advertisement