Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doctor's office can't post medical records out

• 03-09-2018 5:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭

After having a medical check up I was surprised the doctor (actually the nurse) said she couldn't post me my blood test results. Data protection reasons. Have to go and collect.
    I find this strange as bank statements, for example, are posted out to people.
    Anybody have similar experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

bobbyss wrote: »
    After having a medical check up I was surprised the doctor (actually the nurse) said she couldn't post me my blood test results. Data protection reasons. Have to go and collect.

Just stingy and laziness

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Most Doctors surgeries are usually 50 years behind technology-wise, be surprised if they have email

I usually get my 6 month blood tests results over the phone, not sure I would be able to interpret the actual results myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Because of GDPR they can’t. I even had an issue with someone collecting a prescription for me when I was in work because of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know people who gets blood tests and they get the results texted to them.

Our hospital in Vietnam gives us a log in so we can just check them online. Figured that would be implemented everywhere by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Gael23 wrote: »
    Because of GDPR they can’t. I even had an issue with someone collecting a prescription for me when I was in work because of this.

Actually, they are compelled to supply your personal data to you because of the GDPR. Article 15 applies. The Data Subject (op) may submit a subject access request which obliges the Data Controller (doctor's surgery) to provide the requested data electronically or in hard copy to the Data Subject within 1 month free of charge.
    They were correct in your case not supplying a third party with your prescription. However, they could have supplied it had you given your written consent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Just stingy and laziness

LOL I guarantee if you observed your GP surgery for half an hour you would find them flat out. GP surgeries are under massive pressure with the numbers, visits and paperwork they have to deal with.

Results wise, this is very common with GP surgeries. Not sure if it's to do help prevent results going out to a patient without the meaning being discussed first? In a hospital setting all results the patient wants have to go via the GP for interpretation and never posted directly to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Whocanibe

I get my blood results on the phone, if they need to speak to me about them they tell me to make an appointment.
    I had to sign consent forms in both the doctors and the chemist for anyone to collect a prescription for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

... The Data Subject (op) may submit a subject access request which obliges the Data Controller (doctor's surgery) to provide the requested data electronically or in hard copy to the Data Subject within 1 month free of charge...
    In theory then, I could get some blood work done, not bother paying for it and still get my results for free in a months time?
    Kerchinggg :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Because of GDPR they can’t.

There's nothing in the GDPR that would prevent a doctor's office from posting out blood test results. People routinely receive written communication from the HSE about medical appointments and tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

OldGoat wrote: »
    In theory then, I could get some blood work done, not bother paying for it and still get my results for free in a months time?
    Kerchinggg :)

well except they want the money upfront. or my doctor does at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

bobbyss wrote: »

Too mean to pay for the postage is more likely the reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Had the same problem with my haircut records after moving town recently. New barber says he never got them from the old one and I assume it was the same issue of being a data protection breach to send the through the post. Means a drive some weekend now to collect them. Crazy really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

LOL I guarantee if you observed your GP surgery for half an hour you would find them flat out. GP surgeries are under massive pressure with the numbers, visits and paperwork they have to deal with.
    Sher why would you bother with details like that when there's internet bitching to be done? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

There's nothing in the GDPR that would prevent a doctor's office from posting out blood test results. People routinely receive written communication from the HSE about medical appointments and tests.
    Mine won’t post blood results. I had reason to get a copy just in the past few weeks and I had to gpcollect them then drop them to the hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

The new data protection laws are quite vague when it comes to General Practice. Many are airing on the side of caution so will not release results unless they are 100% certain you are the person. Also gps have to pay for postage themselves so if 100 patients a week want their results posted out to them that is money out of their pocket. Mine one you sign a consent form when you get the bloods done and provide a sae to your registered addressed, marked p & c will send them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Mine won’t post blood results. I had reason to get a copy just in the past few weeks and I had to gpcollect them then drop them to the hospital.

Fair enough -- but that's probably an internal policy rather than something they are compelled to do by law. There's nothing in the GDPR to prevent a company from sending sensitive information through the post. There are plenty of solicitors, accountants, etc., still posting sensitive documents to their clients.

Advertisement