Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What suburbs should I live in, in Limerick?

• 03-09-2018 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

We are moving to Limerick next year, from South Africa. My husband will be working in the city centre, and I'd like some advice on what suburbs we should look at to rent in (and which to avoid). We'll rent for about a year to get a feel for the area, and then we'll be looking to buy.
    I don't know if there are any dodgy suburbs - but every city has them, and I'm sure Limerick will, too. Here are our requirements: 
    * We have 2 small dogs, so we need a house with a garden (no apartments/flats - which term do you use in Ireland?). 
    * We'd like to get away with *not* buying a car, so access to public transport is important.
    * I'd prefer a fully detached house, as opposed to semi-detached, but only because one of my dogs is a little barky and that can irritate neighbours if they are right on top of us. But we'll take what we can get.
    * We can probably afford a maximum of €1,600 for rent.
    * I'm a freelance WordPress developer, so fibre broadband is a must.
    * Access to some nice parks or green areas where I can walk my dogs. Doesn't have to be off-leash, but if there is a dedicated dog park, please do tell.

EDIT: I did try searching to see if someone else has asked a similar question, but I kept getting Error 503s

EDIT: Fibre broadband is a must too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

We are moving to Limerick next year, from South Africa. My husband will be working in the city centre, and I'd like some advice on what suburbs we should look at to rent in (and which to avoid). We'll rent for about a year to get a feel for the area, and then we'll be looking to buy.
    I don't know if there are any dodgy suburbs - but every city has them, and I'm sure Limerick will, too. Here are our requirements: 
    * We have 2 small dogs, so we need a house with a garden (no apartments/flats - which term do you use in Ireland?). 
    * We'd like to get away with *not* buying a car, so access to public transport is important.
    * I'd prefer a fully detached house, as opposed to semi-detached, but only because one of my dogs is a little barky and that can irritate neighbours if they are right on top of us. But we'll take what we can get.
    * We can probably afford a maximum of €1,600 for rent.
    <!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->

Summerville Avenue in the North Circular Road is a nice spot and within 5 minutes of city centre. Will mainly be attached houses but it's a fairly affluent part of town.

Castltroy is a big area with some parts better than others. Public transport is very frequent, but traffic during college term can be very bad.

Ballycummin is a nice spot, decent public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Raheen/Dorradoyle

Castletroy/Monaleen

Corbally

Caherdavin

these are you best options for your price range and requirements. All those though are a bus journey to town although you could walk from town from some parts of Corbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Persiancowboy

The advantage of Corbally (apart from it being a relatively ok place to live) is that you are very close to the River Shannon (Limerick's best amenity) so for exercising your dogs you couldn't get a better place.

Sadly there are lots of places that are best avoided...not sure naming them here would produce unanimity among other posters. If you weren't totally against buying a car then there are plenty of extra options out in the wider county of Limerick or Clare that you could consider.

Best of luck with your move.....Limerick is a small town so hopefully you will be able to settle in quickly and as you are South African at least you will have some excellent local rugby to keep you entertained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

Sounds like you are looking for Corbally!!!

Corbally would be one of the closest areas to the city centre and is about >1km from Town which is around a 15 minute gentle walk.

Situated by the River Shannon with a shared path from Corbally to the University of Limerick and the City by the canal.

No Dog park nearby but area is very popular for walking dogs.

Supermarkets (SuperValu & Tesco Express), Bars & Cafe's, Gym, Swimming Pool, Butchers, Restaurants, Pharmacy, Doctors etc all nearby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The advantage of Corbally (apart from it being a relatively ok place to live) is that you are very close to the River Shannon (Limerick's best amenity) so for exercising your dogs you couldn't get a better place.

Sadly there are lots of places that are best avoided...not sure naming them here would produce unanimity among other posters. If you weren't totally against buying a car then there are plenty of extra options out in the wider county of Limerick or Clare that you could consider.

Best of luck with your move.....Limerick is a small city so hopefully you will be able to settle in quickly and as you are South African at least you will have some excellent local rugby to keep you entertained.

Fixed that for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

* We can probably afford a maximum of €1,600 for rent.
    * I'm a freelance WordPress developer, so fibre broadband is a must.
    * Access to some nice parks or green areas where I can walk my dogs. Doesn't have to be off-leash, but if there is a dedicated dog park, please do tell.

EDIT: I did try searching to see if someone else has asked a similar question, but I kept getting Error 503s

EDIT: Fibre broadband is a must too.

Option A: Ennis Road
    If you want to live within walking distance to the city centre, the areas of Ennis road, North Circular road, Farranshone, Mayorstone, Clancy Strand & O' Callaghan Strand might be good options. These are all pretty nice areas to live in with a a few parks and walking trails in the area notably Westfields wetlands park & Shelbourne park. Even along the river has some of Limericks most scenic walks along Clancy Strand and O' Callaghan Strand & Condell road. The Ennis road starts at Sarsfields bridge and runs for a about 3km so there is a good stretch of this area within walking distance.

Option B: South Circular road
    The South Side of the city centre, has some lovely areas as well notably South Circular Road, Castlewell / Ashbourne, O' Connell Avenue, Wolfe Tone/ Josephs street etc. These are all within walking distance to the city centre. Mary Immaculate university is in this area so you will get students but also a lot of professionals and families.

Option C: Corbally and Westbury
    North East of the city has the suburbs of Corbally and Westbury. Corbally would be within walking distance to the city centre, while Westbury is a little further out. These are generally nice areas as well and would be slightly cheaper than some of options A and B. Shannon Fields has a great river side walk which links up with the canal and riverbank walk (Clare street to the University) and perfect for walking the dogs.

Option D: Rhebogue

Rhebogue is also a nice area which is 2-3km walk to the city. Easy access to the canal and riverbank mentioned above so perfect for walking the dogs.

Option E: Castletroy, Monaleen, Annacotty

These are generally pretty good areas, They surround the University so some areas would have a big student population. But this area also has the National Technology park where lots of people work and tend to use these areas to live nearby work. lots of nice walks close to the University. Decent Bus route

Option F: Dooradoyle / Raheen / Mungret
    Similar area to Option E imo minus the University. Lots of families live in these areas. Mungret has a lovely park for walking and The Crescent shopping centre has decent shopping. bus route is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's a rental crisis in our cities and pets can be difficult to rent with even when there isn't a crisis. I think that you will have to look further out to get a landlord willing to except pets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Avoid Corbally! There is a complete lack of good quality properties available to rent in the area. Castletroy / Monaleen would have many. Castleconnell is a lovely area with all amenities and reasonably good public transport. Seven miles from Limerick City centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I'm thinking Glanntán on the Golf Links road may suit

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gillespieza

I didn't even think to ask whether that amount of rent was reasonable, or too high/low.

We're not totally opposed to getting a car but it would be nice if we could get away without one. However, we're aware this isn't London or Paris or New York, so places may not be as connected by public transport as they are in big cities. If we need a car, so be it.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    There's a rental crisis in our cities and pets can be difficult to rent with even when there isn't a crisis. I think that you will have to look further out to get a landlord willing to except pets.

Oh dear, that's discouraging. We found a similar problem in Cape Town before we bought our own house. Ended up renting about 20km out, which wouldn't have been too bad, but traffic made the commute 2 hours each way :(

damowill wrote: »
    Option A: Ennis Road
    If you want to live within walking distance to the city centre, the areas of Ennis road, North Circular road, Farranshone, Mayorstone, Clancy Strand & O' Callaghan Strand might be good options. These are all pretty nice areas to live in with a a few parks and walking trails in the area notably Westfields wetlands park & Shelbourne park. Even along the river has some of Limericks most scenic walks along Clancy Strand and O' Callaghan Strand & Condell road. The Ennis road starts at Sarsfields bridge and runs for a about 3km so there is a good stretch of this area within walking distance.

Option B: South Circular road
    The South Side of the city centre, has some lovely areas as well notably South Circular Road, Castlewell / Ashbourne, O' Connell Avenue, Wolfe Tone/ Josephs street etc. These are all within walking distance to the city centre. Mary Immaculate university is in this area so you will get students but also a lot of professionals and families.

Option C: Corbally and Westbury
    North East of the city has the suburbs of Corbally and Westbury. Corbally would be within walking distance to the city centre, while Westbury is a little further out. These are generally nice areas as well and would be slightly cheaper than some of options A and B. Shannon Fields has a great river side walk which links up with the canal and riverbank walk (Clare street to the University) and perfect for walking the dogs.

Option D: Rhebogue

Rhebogue is also a nice area which is 2-3km walk to the city. Easy access to the canal and riverbank mentioned above so perfect for walking the dogs.

Option E: Castletroy, Monaleen, Annacotty

These are generally pretty good areas, They surround the University so some areas would have a big student population. But this area also has the National Technology park where lots of people work and tend to use these areas to live nearby work. lots of nice walks close to the University. Decent Bus route

Option F: Dooradoyle / Raheen / Mungret
    Similar area to Option E imo minus the University. Lots of families live in these areas. Mungret has a lovely park for walking and The Crescent shopping centre has decent shopping. bus route is ok.

Wow, I never expected that level of detail! Thanks - am making a Google Map of this now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

To find a place that will allow pets, you might have to go farther out, and by going farther out, a car would become more of a necessity. Our public transport system of busses is fairly limited, especially the farther you go out.

To be honest, if you want to do much travel around Ireland, and even for convenience when shopping and so on, a car will be valuable.

Bear in mind that Limerick is on the border with County Clare (and in fact, one of the places mentioned, Corbally, extends across the river Shannon and into Clare), so that might come in handy when you are searching for places. There are places like Ardnacrusha, Parteen, Meelick, and Clonlara, that are in Clare, but still too far at all from the city.

I presume you already know this, but the main wesites to check are daft.ie and myhome.ie. I have never tried, so I don't know if you can filter searches by 'pets allowed' but if you can, you will not find many options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I'm going to go against the general trend with my advice. I don't own a car and have pets and I work in the city centre. I wouldn't consider the suburbs as a good option. If you want to live car free and if you are working in the city then living in or near the city makes a lot of sense. The challenge is that you need to find a place with a garden that will allow pets. That should be pretty doable. Places like North Circular Road, South Circular Road, Clancy Strand, Ennis Road, Lansdowne Park, Mayorstone, O'Callaghan Strand, O'Connell Avenue, Corbally are all very nice areas that are within your budget, near the city, and generally have gardens and good access to places to walk a dog. A colleague of mine, also from SA, recently rented a place very near the centre with a small yard. They've a large dog and the place suits them well. They've good access to the Park Canal and the riverpath to the University. Public transport is not good in Limerick, and therefore the suburbs (Castletroy, Annacotty, Raheen, etc) aren't much of an option if you don't own a car. There are good options for short term car rental if you need one, including GoCar (for hourly rental) and Enterprise (for daily rental).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

zulutango wrote: »
    Public transport is not good in Limerick, and therefore the suburbs (Castletroy, Annacotty, Raheen, etc) aren't much of an option if you don't own a car. There are good options for short term car rental if you need one, including GoCar (for hourly rental) and Enterprise (for daily rental).

Not sure how you can say this. Constant buses going from Castletroy to town - The green one and Bus Eireann ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

callaway92 wrote: »
    Not sure how you can say this. Constant buses going from Castletroy to town - The green one and Bus Eireann ones.

They frequently don't arrive as scheduled and you can't rely on it to be on time for things. It's a chronic service, imo, partly due to very poor infrastructure and partly due to how it's operated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I wouldnt rely on the bus and the fact that it can be quite slow.

In terms of suburbs, the southside definitely seems to be one of the best for entering the city traffic wise. Castletroy area can be a nightmare with the traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

https://www.daft.ie/

Have a look on here OP. If you go into To Rent -> Limerick and then the areas that have been suggested here, you can see what's available.

Advertisement