Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often should you change your helmet?

Options
  • 03-09-2018 9:21am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just looking over the weekend and my helmet was manufactured in 2014 so its been around a while.

I know plastics can degraded over time so was wondering should I be thinking about getting a new one?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mine is ten years old, and i still use it.
    you'll see talk about UV degradation - not that big an issue in ireland, plus the foam is covered by a hard plastic shell anyway.

the main impetus for me changing mine will probably be the cost of replacing pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

My current one is now 8-9 years old, have a new one in the post... They say every 3 years I think, helmet makers would say that tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Funny enough I'm thinking of getting a new one myself. I have two but one of them is not that comfortable and the pads in the other are falling apart after washing them.

veganrun wrote: »
    Funny enough I'm thinking of getting a new one myself. I have two but one of them is not that comfortable and the pads in the other are falling apart after washing them.

Is it bad that I have never washed any part of mine in 8-9 years :o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OSI wrote: »
    Think of all the time lost carrying the extra weight of an entire civilisation living in your helmet!

But think of the millions you'll kill if you wash it
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Normally I'd change a helmet when the pads get properly minging. Buy extra pads with a new helmet and get a few extra years out of it. I'd also change it if it got any sort of decent bang. Other than that - have had helmets for years (5+ years). I wouldn't put a time limit on it, I'd work off its condition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have a bell helmet - have been able to order spare pads through duff cycles in santry.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,416 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thought head shapes would evolve over a decade.
    Do these 10 year olds still fit?

:pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,416 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

mloc123 wrote: »
    They say every 3 years I think, helmet makers would say that tho :)
    But would the courts stand behind the manufacturers if you are suing for brain death after an accident using an 1100 day old helmet?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

mloc123 wrote: »
    Is it bad that I have never washed any part of mine in 8-9 years :o

Haha, not for me to say. Mine was starting to smell with the sweat so had to put the velcro padding into the wash. Unfortunately they didn't survive that well. I will be down near CRC on Wednesday so I might have a look and pick up a new one then.

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    But would the courts stand behind the manufacturers if you are suing for brain death after an accident using an 1100 day old helmet?

:)

Unlikely I would be suing after brain death tbh...

Without an expiry date included on a helmet, I can't imagine they have solid ground on that? Although, my assumption is that wearing a helmet is only to reduce risk and not mitigate it fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The recommendation is certainly to replace it every few years. Five, I think, used to be the recommendation. I'm not sure anyone has ever done a time-series study on the degradation of expanded polystyrene.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I was probably due a change, but it was taken out of my hands (twice) this year, given the advice of changing if you damage it!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

I'll replace mine if I drop it or bash it against something.

Or if I forget it! I was halfway to the Ring of Clare last year and realized it was at home (oops!). Fortunately there were a couple for sale in the registration tent. Got a really good deal on a very nice helmet - Spiuk Zirion for 30eur - so sometimes you get lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Mine's on the go since 2005. I know it needs replacing but I figure it's better than none for now.

I'll replace mine if I drop it or bash it against something.
    i think they're sturdier than that?

i think they're sturdier than that?

They might be. It depends on how hard I bash it - quite a subjective thing. For the price of them, being relatively inexpensive, and the job they do, I'd rather err on the side of caution.

A light drop (<1m) onto a carpeted or wood floor? That's fine.
    A solid heavy drop onto a stone paving slab? That's game over.

If I drop my helmet - this applies to my motorcycle helmet as well - and I'm asking myself the question whether it's still 100% intact and will work as designed, that's a strong indicator that I'd be better off just replacing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I still have my first helmet... bought in the 80’s!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

A solid heavy drop onto a stone paving slab? That's game over.

If a helmet is to protect a rider's head; say at a total mass of 80kgs at a moderate velocity of 5.5m/s(assuming head force into road) I'd be worried if it was getting damaged from a 2m freefall(assuming mass of 0.3Kg and impact velocity 6.26m/s)

You are putting hope in an object will protect you when you fear its getting damaged at level of momentum over 230 time less

ford2600 wrote: »
    If a helmet is to protect a rider's head; say at a total mass of 80kgs at a moderate velocity of 5.5m/s(assuming head force into road) I'd be worried if it was getting damaged from a 2m freefall(assuming mass of 0.3Kg and impact velocity 6.26m/s)

You are putting hope in an object will protect you when you fear its getting damaged at level of momentum over 230 time less

Then *you* shouldn't be worried if *you* beat the crap out of *your* helmet. Do whatever *you* want.

In the meantime, I'm treating mine with tender-loving care.

I might be paranoid, but I'm happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Every so often, I put mine in a bucket, throw in a drop of washing liquid and get the power washer and blast it and hang it out to dry. Does the job.

I have 4 helmets but only wear 2 of them regularly.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I still have my first helmet... bought in the 80’s!

My first helmet was a Cidona one... IIRC you collected ring pulls maybe and sent off for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

tomasrojo wrote: »
    The recommendation is certainly to replace it every few years. Five, I think, used to be the recommendation. I'm not sure anyone has ever done a time-series study on the degradation of expanded polystyrene.

Yes, yes they have.

https://www.helmets.org/replace.htm

saccades wrote: »

The BHSI is (or certainly was) a one-man operation run by a neurotic, but that sounds like a useful study.

ford2600 wrote: »

Funnily enough, that's quite close to the test helmets have to pass to get the EU certification, apart from the mass. They're dropped 1.5m with 5kg inside them onto an anvil. The liner has to compress, but not break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Funnily enough, that's quite close to the test helmets have to pass to get the EU certification, apart from the mass. They're dropped 1.5m with 5kg inside them onto an anvil. The liner has to compress, but not break.

The 5kgs at a lower height is a factor 13 or so more energetic than just the helmet falling.

Oh yeah, 78J vs 6J. That was the point I was making (they're designed to take more than a short fall while empty). Not very clearly though!

Advertisement