Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    The thread is getting a little saggy. How about we spark it up by mentioning the acts we consider over-rated and have been happy to avoid over the past fifteen years. I'm not talking about the over-earnest soulless bedwetter stuff we've regularly slated here. I mean acts that some posters here rate highly but you don't. And be not fearful of offending other posters but just get it off your chest. It's all just good old subjective fun.

Never having had the following take up headline slots has been a huge relief to me - Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Kings of Leon, Queens of the Stone Age, Thirty Seconds to Mars. I would welcome all genres at EP, including metal which would give the fest a bit of a shake-up. But I consider the above to be bland rock that wouldn't have got a look in three decades prior. Feel free to roast my post.

Agree re too fighters and pearl jam. I would add "braces himself for backlash" Arctic Monkeys. Few good songs but never got the hype. Would rate his side project last shadow puppets higher. With other posters here dance ast generally not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭fourmations

Insta?

youre kidding right?!
    thats what all us hip to the groove aul fellas call it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭homosapien91

When do they release the day lineup? I want to try and get a day ticket for the strokes.

You can only get a day ticket for the Sunday so if they're playing Friday or Saturday only way to see them would be to try and get a weekend ticket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

You can only get a day ticket for the Sunday so if they're playing Friday or Saturday only way to see them would be to try and get a weekend ticket

Sunday tix are sold out too so you'd be picking one up from DoneDeal/Toutless, etc.

Just a point worth noting for the headline breakdown...

Florence + the Machine and the 1975 are playing a one-day festival in Milan on the Friday so they have to be either Saturday or Sunday. One of the Strokes and Hozier is almost definitely on the Friday, unless an extra headline act is announced to play that day.

It's total guesswork beyond that but just thought it worth mentioning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

I think residents tickets can be used for any day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Never having had the following take up headline slots has been a huge relief to me - Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Kings of Leon, Queens of the Stone Age, Thirty Seconds to Mars. I would welcome all genres at EP, including metal which would give the fest a bit of a shake-up. But I consider the above to be bland rock that wouldn't have got a look in three decades prior. Feel free to roast my post.
    Mucker46 wrote: »
    Agree re too fighters and pearl jam. I would add "braces himself for backlash" Arctic Monkeys. Few good songs but never got the hype. Would rate his side project last shadow puppets higher. With other posters here dance ast generally not for me.

I've seen AM a few times. Once at the start just after the debut LP and they had great energy, but they were dull as dish water when i saw them at EP 5? years ago.

Kinda similar with Franz Ferdinand, just that they were never too exciting to start with.

I saw QOTSA once and enjoyed them tbh, having only been a casual listener to Lullabies and songs for the deaf.

I haven't seen Foo Fighters, and am not that into them tbh. I'm going to see them in August though, so hopefully they're not shíte..

I saw Kings of Leon at a few festivals and they always phoned it in. They were playing fine, but had no enthusiasm.

I'd add kasabian to that list.
    Utter scrotes, and awful live. I saw them years ago and said never again.

I know nothing about 30 seconds from Mars.

I've seen AM a few times. Once at the start just after the debut LP and they had great energy, but they were dull as dish water when i saw them at EP 5? years ago.

Seen AM when they played Marley Park a few years ago, not great live, nothing really memorable about the performance and I thought Jake Bugg supporting played a lot better and I subsequently became a big fan of his after this

Pity about Kasabian, have always wanted to see them live

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

Sunday tix are sold out too so you'd be picking one up from DoneDeal/Toutless, etc.

Just a point worth noting for the headline breakdown...

Florence + the Machine and the 1975 are playing a one-day festival in Milan on the Friday so they have to be either Saturday or Sunday. One of the Strokes and Hozier is almost definitely on the Friday, unless an extra headline act is announced to play that day.

It's total guesswork beyond that but just thought it worth mentioning!

Well spotted. Havent much interest in headliners bar the Strokes. Have seen Florence before and she’s quite good, but almost all my best EP expereinces have been at the smaller stages, its more intimate, and usually has less messers/talkers and more people who are more interested in music, better vibe all around.

I wonder will there be any replacement for Other Voices, but highly unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭pedrozeno

It may have been discussed but Deerhunter are playing the End of the Road festival in England on the 1st of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

youre kidding right?!
    thats what all us hip to the groove aul fellas call it! :D

if you mean instagram then I wouldn't really class it as a metric of anything for music, probably half pervs and half kiddies.

• Advertisement

pedrozeno wrote: »
    It may have been discussed but Deerhunter are playing the End of the Road festival in England on the 1st of September.

End of the Road line up is one of the best I've seen this summer. No major names but stacked solid with stuff that I absolutely love.

A quick glance at it, I'd happily watch...

Beirut, Metronomy, Michael Kiwanuka, Spiritualised, Courtney Barnett, Jarvis Cocker, Sleaford Mods, Low, Deerhunter, Parquet Courts, Mitski, Cate Le Bon, Daniel Avery, Cass McCombs, Beak>, Serpentwithfeet, Let's Eat Grandma, Yves Tumor, BC Camplight, Fontaines DC, the Murder Capital.

I know a lot of those could end up at EP or elsewhere in Ireland (and some are) but for a small festival, it looks right up my alley!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭fourmations

if you mean instagram then I wouldn't really class it as a metric of anything for music, probably half pervs and half kiddies.

you cynical monkey you! ;)

Snarky Snark Snark

nah, cynical would be 75% pervs

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gauralordon

Kinda similar with Franz Ferdinand, just that they were never too exciting to start with.

I saw QOTSA once and enjoyed them tbh, having only been a casual listener to Lullabies and songs for the deaf.

I haven't seen Foo Fighters, and am not that into them tbh. I'm going to see them in August though, so hopefully they're not shíte..

I saw Kings of Leon at a few festivals and they always phoned it in. They were playing fine, but had no enthusiasm.

I know nothing about 30 seconds from Mars.

I saw QOTSA and AM at Rock Werchter last year - the former were very good, the latter were just flat. I was a fan up until their most recent album, of which 80% of their setlist consisted. Got very bored towards the end and left early.

Went to Foo Fighters in Slane in 2015, I'm a fan and they're in my top 5 gigs ever (so far...). A few weeks after the Slane gig, Dave Grohl fell from the stage in Sweden and broke his leg, went to the hospital, got a cast, and came back and finished the show in a wheelchair. Legend imho. Have a ticket to see them in August, can't wait.

Went to KOL twice, once in Slane in 2011 and once in Marlay Park, can't remember the year. Slane was amazing, Marlay Park was OK. They've been back to Ireland a few times since and haven't been bothered to see them again. Huge fan of their first few albums, but anything after Only By The Night is dull.

Heard Kasabian from a massive queue into Slane in 2009 for Oasis. Sounded great to my 16 year old ears, would love to get the chance to see them for real.

A friend has been to 3 or 4 30STM gigs and absolutely raves about them every time. Jared Leto is a very talented musician and actor, so would definitely check them out when they're here next.

In short there's not a lot I don't like :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

almost unrelated: Been listening to the new "The Comet is Coming" album this morning. Mind blown!

Not playing EP, but Sons of Kemet are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I fookin love FF and have my ticket for them the week before EP, honestly not too sure which I'm more excited about cos I've never seen them before. :D

But that aside in terms of the question, frankly pretty much every major dance act that's ever graced the stage "live", i get it that it's probably amazeballs if you're tanked out of your gourd or settling into a nice geosynchronous orbit initiated via chemical rocket but jesus, they're just so ****ing dull outside of the light shows. Think the best decision I ever made was to go catch super furry animals over Chemical Bros a few years ago (and I've bought CB albums in the past).

Second best decision was skipping out of FloJo and her two stroke to go to Tame Impala, hoping there's someone similarly fantastic on at the same time to her again this year (ideally..... Tame ****ing Impala).

Modeselektor live remains one of my favourite sets ever at EP.

Also, Underworld are a cracking live band. No need for chemical assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Seen AM when they played Marley Park a few years ago, not great live, nothing really memorable about the performance and I thought Jake Bugg supporting played a lot better and I subsequently became a big fan of his after this

Pity about Kasabian, have always wanted to see them live

Saw Kasabian in marley park and really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Seen kasabian a few times over the years. Brilliant live band much better than on record. Would be ideal at ep imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Re dance acts Leftfield in 2010 were exceptional. Phat Planet shook the whole arena.

Agree with Mucker re the Arctics. Love some of their stuff but possibly the most disappointing headliners EP have ever had. None of our crowd lasted the duration, most ending up at The Knife who were excellent.

Arctic Monkeys are a hit and miss live act - I saw them at the 3Arena and they were dreadful and I enjoyed them at Primavera last year, despite many others not seeming too keen.

They strike me as a band whose presence/stage ability didn't quite grow at the same rate as their popularity. I reckon if they were at the Olympia or something of a similar size, they'd be excellent. Obviously, that's never going to happen but it just doesn't do much for me in a big field with tens of thousands of people. Same fashion as the National - I've never seen them be particularly bad, but they are definitely not as good in a big open field as they are in the Olympia/Cork Opera House/Vicar Street, etc.

I'd worry about the Strokes in the same regard but have never seen them so will keep an open mind! Main issue there is the lack of good music since 'Room on Fire'!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭charlietully

The thread is getting a little saggy. How about we spark it up by mentioning the acts we consider over-rated and have been happy to avoid over the past fifteen years. I'm not talking about the over-earnest soulless bedwetter stuff we've regularly slated here. I mean acts that some posters here rate highly but you don't. And be not fearful of offending other posters but just get it off your chest. It's all just good old subjective fun.

I really don't think you need to worry about pearl jam playing the chav fest that is electric picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Arctic Monkeys are a hit and miss live act - I saw them at the 3Arena and they were dreadful and I enjoyed them at Primavera last year, despite many others not seeming too keen.

As did I, not a big fan but the crowd was up for it big time I thought.

I really don't think you need to worry about pearl jam playing the chav fest that is electric picnic.

If you think it's a chav fest then you dont need to post in this forum.

They strike me as a band whose presence/stage ability didn't quite grow at the same rate as their popularity. I reckon if they were at the Olympia or something of a similar size, they'd be excellent. Obviously, that's never going to happen but it just doesn't do much for me in a big field with tens of thousands of people. Same fashion as the National - I've never seen them be particularly bad, but they are definitely not as good in a big open field as they are in the Olympia/Cork Opera House/Vicar Street, etc.

I'd worry about the Strokes in the same regard but have never seen them so will keep an open mind! Main issue there is the lack of good music since 'Room on Fire'!!!

The National - thought they were excellent when sub-headliners on the main stage at EP. But yeah, very few such bands aren't better in a tent at EP or a smaller venue. Valentines, Pet Shop Boys & Michael Kiwanuka far stronger in the EA than on the man stage.

The Strokes - superb outdoors at Hyde Park four years ago. Should be similarly good at the Picnic. And though no great albums since ROF they've recorded loads of great tracks. And going by setlists half the material likely to be from the first two albums anyway. Worry not, I think we'll see great things from them.

Troll alert.

Chav is an English term related to the working class denizens of Chatham, Kent. No connection to Irish festival goers. Nor the peoples of this island.

At a guess I'd say you've never been to EP or not for some time. We are however missing your presence and insightfulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭endainoz

Anyone guessing who'll be on the second announcement? Still think offspring are a good shout...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Went to 3 Kasabian gigs over the years and they were quality. Twice in the Point and once in Marley.

No idea why you thought they were awful. And scrotes? What makes you say that

Snarky Snark Snark

endainoz wrote: »
    Anyone guessing who'll be on the second announcement? Still think offspring are a good shout...

the kiddies would be crushed by the blokes of a certain age at an Offspring set, you'd have to keep'em seperated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

endainoz wrote: »

Foals Chem bros and tame..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

the kiddies would be crushed by the blokes of a certain age at an Offspring set, you'd have to keep'em seperated.

One goes to the morgue and the other to jail...;)

Advertisement