Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

endainoz wrote: »
    Anyone guessing who'll be on the second announcement? Still think offspring are a good shout...

good shout yes, not in a million years will they be on the bill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭endainoz

ILIKEFOOD wrote:
    good shout yes, not in a million years will they be on the bill

Care to give a reason? EP dosent do a huge amount of guitar based bands sure, but they are touring Europe that time of year, in Czech republic on the 20th and 21st August, sharing a bill with friggin Kodaline in Austria before then. Do festival republic not deal with them or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭endainoz

PCros wrote:
    One goes to the morgue and the other to jail...

Those kids won't be alright.......I'll get me coat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Re dance acts Leftfield in 2010 were exceptional. Phat Planet shook the whole arena.

Agree with Mucker re the Arctics. Love some of their stuff but possibly the most disappointing headliners EP have ever had. None of our crowd lasted the duration, most ending up at The Knife who were excellent.

This group is like the memory kings. I sometimes struggle to remember who I saw the previous year, and not because of drink, never mind who I left to watch another band

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Mucker46 wrote: »
    This group is like the memory kings. I sometimes struggle to remember who I saw the previous year, and not because of drink, never mind who I left to watch another band

The memory always works better when it's not an EP Friday night we're discussing. Any tips on self-restraint on the first night of a festival?

• Advertisement

Been listening to a bit of Michael Kiwanuka. He has some voice even if not my usual type of music. Anyone seen him live and is it worth it?

The memory always works better when it's not an EP Friday night we're discussing. Any tips on self-restraint on the first night of a festival?

Not turning up is the only solution for me!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Been listening to a bit of Michael Kiwanuka. He has some voice even if not my usual type of music. Anyone seen him live and is it worth it?

I wandered into his set at the Picnic a couple of years ago just as he started singing Love & Hate. Excellent tune and he was as good live as the recording.

First set at Picnic on main stage was bland. First album wasn't good enough.

Last set in the EA was stunning. Second album easily my fave of 2016. Voice, band, material all sensational.

He'll be great in August. But hoping it's EA again.

Not turning up is the only solution for me!!!!

Ha ha. Yep. Can't see any other solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

almost unrelated: Been listening to the new "The Comet is Coming" album this morning. Mind blown!

Not playing EP, but Sons of Kemet are.

I listened to them today,on my bands to see list for Glastonbury

Ha ha. Yep. Can't see any other solution.

According to stillill we just missed each other a number of times last year but maybe we met on the Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I'm absolutely not one of those Kings! I find myself constantly fact checking via Google! "I was there at the salty dog in 2006' when Arcade fire rocked the place!" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

endainoz wrote: »
    Care to give a reason? EP dosent do a huge amount of guitar based bands sure, but they are touring Europe that time of year, in Czech republic on the 20th and 21st August, sharing a bill with friggin Kodaline in Austria before then. Do festival republic not deal with them or something??

I've no inside knowledge whatsoever on this it's just an inkling having looked at the line ups over the years and the direction it has gone (literally no big surprises now for the last few years).

You might have got offspring at oxegen but they're not EP material. Having said that we got sex pistols one year which was fantastic!

On the theme of bands like Offspring...I'd love to see NOFX here again! We haven't been getting many US bands on these shores for some reason in recent years... certainly not at the level that we did

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gauralordon

Head down on the Thursday instead of the Friday and get the overindulgence outta the way early :P works for me anyway, shower the Friday morning sorted me right out last year

Hey BD, this is twenty years old today & BBC6 played it earlier. Time for an anniversary play at EP?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Hey BD, this is twenty years old today & BBC6 played it earlier. Time for an anniversary play at EP?

Wouldn't think he is in a hurry to play that again, the last time he played it live was a bit of it at Torino Italy 2005.

Edit: Speaking of which, did you go and see Chris Cunningham in 2009, that year I was down with a bunch of friends so missed that gig.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Wouldn't think he is in a hurry to play that again, the last time he played it live was a bit of it at Torino Italy 2005.

Edit: Speaking of which, did you go and see Chris Cunningham in 2009, that year I was down with a bunch of friends so missed that gig.

No, I meant to as it sounded fascinating but was obviously distracted by something else. Beer probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Rapidly becoming convinced that Mr. Twin needs to be referred as the A-Word to match the R-Word in the group of unicorns that will fill the threads every year and never actually be booked to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Whenever EP give an inkling to when they will make the second announcement and we start seeing these Aphex Twin symbols on the Spike I'm sure that will be a sign, anyways I'll dream on at the moment.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Jesus. Is This It is 18 years old.

Jesus I'm not even 30 and this makes me feel old! Seems like yesterday
    Rapidly becoming convinced that Mr. Twin needs to be referred as the A-Word to match the R-Word in the group of unicorns that will fill the threads every year and never actually be booked to play.

We might be dreamers but at least we have good taste!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭dav09

MadYaker wrote: »
    Jesus I'm not even 30 and this makes me feel old! Seems like yesterday

We might be dreamers but at least we have good taste!

As much as I love his music and live sets (even if I've only seen him live once) I think it's probably unlikely for EP, considering as far as I'm aware the last time he played a non-POD event here was Oxygen 2008. I think him being booked for All Together Now some year (if he doesn't disappear again) much more likely, but we can dream. He tends to go to the less mainstream festivals too, with Electric Picnic being Irelands biggest it may be a red flag for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Dutchy

A Hot Press worker informed Nathan Cater is to be announced closer to the festival start date. Festival Republic see this new wave of country music as a way to stack family goodwill and to future proof the festival for years to come. Apparently, this is why we are not seeing any big ticket Rap acts announced for 2019. They're phasing out that genre and replacing with the Stetson brigade. Nathan is due to finish an Irish tour, EP will be announced and then he is off to the UK, again, allegedly. I'd hate to see him there (I've been to all EP's bar the second one). It's something to do with his management also insisting as a bolt on to some new festival in Wicklow also? First Picture This...

As Shania would say .. that don't impress me much

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yeah and Donald Trump is my dad

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Dutchy

Just what I heard, Eric..

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭dav09

Dutchy wrote: »
    to future proof the festival for years to come

If acts like this along with some of the other snorefest artists in the same boat is what they think will 'future proof' the festival then I reckon a lot of us will genuinely be going elsewhere in the future, moving towards boring lineup's with artists that can be seen 30 times a year in all types of venues in Ireland vs a festival with international acts like A Tribe Called Quest, Kendrick Lamar, Wu Tang and the acts booked over the past few years makes 0 sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Sweet Jesus, the meltdown n here if Nathan was announced. That would be a sight to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Sweet Jesus, the meltdown n here if Nathan was announced. That would be a sight to behold.

Just about to type the same thing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭ab4248

Dutchy wrote: »
    It's something to do with his management also insisting as a bolt on to some new festival in Wicklow also?

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/fashion/kaleidoscope-new-three-day-family-friendly-festival-announced-1.3834259

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

1y5agk.jpg

Advertisement