Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Been listening to the billy the fish album, very good it is but the production is horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

BBC6 have been playing Black Midi pretty consistently this week. Very impressive & they're at End of the Road so hopefully could hop over to Stradbally that weekend:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    BBC6 have been playing Black Midi pretty consistently this week. Very impressive & they're at End of the Road so hopefully could hop over to Stradbally that weekend:

Yeah, they're at Alltogethernow, I've been trying to get into them. Limited stuff available, all weird but interesting. It's math rock, apparently. Whatever that is.

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Yeah, they're at Alltogethernow, I've been trying to get into them. Limited stuff available, all weird but interesting. It's math rock, apparently. Whatever that is.

Ah, missed them being announced. ATN have done very well indeed with the newer acts. Looks like a great weekend for a fair few people on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Speaking of Black Midi, their debut album just went live online if anyone wants to check them out further. They certainly experiment a lot between tracks. It's hard to pin them down to a genre, I think people just throw the math rock tag at them because they're so technical.

Hard to know if they'll hit EP as well as ATN. It's not unbelievable as they're pretty much constantly touring this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Speaking of Black Midi, their debut album just went live online if anyone wants to check them out further. They certainly experiment a lot between tracks. It's hard to pin them down to a genre, I think people just throw the math rock tag at them because they're so technical.

Hard to know if they'll hit EP as well as ATN. It's not unbelievable as they're pretty much constantly touring this year.

Saw them in workmans club earlier in the year. Didn't know what to make of them really, a bit mathy but elements of other stuff going on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭rubick

MadYaker wrote: »
    I think if were going to have this discussion we need the poster to define what he means by "commercial" in this context :pac:

All the Top, Top Festival Edgelords lambasting festivals for being 'too commercial these days, maan' when the simple fact of the matter is - every festival that has tickets for sale is literally a commercial venture. Any suggestion to the contrary is just Marketing.

You want a non-commercial festival you'll be heading into a forest somewhere with a ****e rig and twenty of your mates, all great craic until the first casualty and not a First Aid Tent in site because you're too ****ing real, maan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭endainoz

rubick wrote:
    You want a non-commercial festival you'll be heading into a forest somewhere with a ****e rig and twenty of your mates, all great craic until the first casualty and not a First Aid Tent in site because you're too ****ing real, maan.

Sounds like great craic! In all seriousness though, safety first kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Getting a severe longing to be at body and soul this weekend. Haven't gone in the last two years after a good few years of going. Have a ball anyone going from here!

• Advertisement

Rfrip wrote:
    Getting a severe longing to be at body and soul this weekend. Haven't gone in the last two years after a good few years of going. Have a ball anyone going from here!

Same for me, have never been but my fees keeps filling up with volunteering positions and some sort of a pay later ticket option. TG4 have a program on some of it I think, not live or anything though!

I also thought Glastonbury was on this weekend and was looking forward to staying in and checking out loads of acts but of course it's not on till next weekend. A live stream of some area of body and soul would be great!

endainoz wrote: »
    I also thought Glastonbury was on this weekend and was looking forward to staying in and checking out loads of acts but of course it's not on till next weekend. A live stream of some area of body and soul would be great!

So did i!!! Went on last night to start series linking the crap out of it! Least something to look forward to next wkend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭rubick

This time next week I'll be at the West Holts stage with a cider waiting for Acid Mother's Temple to come on.

sweetie wrote: »
    Saw them in workmans club earlier in the year. Didn't know what to make of them really, a bit mathy but elements of other stuff going on too.

Post-punk again, innit? They've been listening to The Pop Group, Wire and others. We've no shortage of bands of that ilk these days. And no harm in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Seathrun66 wrote:
    Post-punk again, innit? They've been listening to The Pop Group, Wire and others. We've no shortage of bands of that ilk these days. And no harm in that.

I know my post-punk and there's definitely some in the mix but there's also bits of noise-rock, beefheart-y avant-garde type stuff and a bit of kraut-rock too.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Bit of Greta Van Fleet and Miiike Snow be nice in the next announcement

And some old school Hip Hop, Nas was great a few years ago. Maybe Cypress Hill, I see they are touring Europe in the coming months , no Irish date yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Is Body and soul not normally on the same weekend as Glastonbury?

And some old school Hip Hop, Nas was great a few years ago. Maybe Cypress Hill, I see they are touring Europe in the coming months , no Irish date yet

Yes please. Though we've a very mixed history with hip-hop at EP. Nas, Kendrick & Public Enemy were all excellent. All the others I caught seemed pretty flat. Wu Tang being the worst culprits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Yes please. Though we've a very mixed history with hip-hop at EP. Nas, Kendrick & Public Enemy were all excellent. All the others I caught seemed pretty flat. Wu Tang being the worst culprits.

Jurassic 5 were also excellent, and hilarious.

Personally I have never enjoyed PE live having seen them maybe 4 times now. Early albums outstanding though.

Jurassic 5 were also excellent, and hilarious.

Personally I have never enjoyed PE live having seen them maybe 4 times now. Early albums outstanding though.

Missed them, though saw them at Glasto earlier that year and pretty good. Missed ATCQ too and likely to have enjoyed that. The Beastie Boys even more.

PE amongst my fave live bands so we're unlikely to reach any agreement on them. Chuck D also as good a frontman as there is and Prophets of Rage would have gone done very well at EP. Still an outside chance they'll play but leaving Europe to play Indonesia on Sun 1.

KRS-One another I'd welcome to Stradbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Stillill42

That Jurassic 5 set was a beautiful moment. Beautiful sunny afternoon, band had the crowd in the palm of their hands. The old school stuff works better in a festival setting I think. They were cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Wu Tang being the worst culprits.

They were utterly chronic

They were utterly chronic

Why were they so bad? I remember seeing them years ago at Oxegen and thought they did well, crowd was into it too. Did they just get lazy in their later years?

Why were they so bad? I remember seeing them years ago at Oxegen and thought they did well, crowd was into it too. Did they just get lazy in their later years?

I hassled my partner to come and see them. Promised her a great show. She described them as 'overweight, bored shouty guys in bright elasticated pants'. I couldn't disagree. I bought her lunch and didn't recommend anything else for the rest of the weekend.

They just resembled a bunch of guys grabbed from a reality show rehearsal, given mikes and told to wander the stage aimlessly. Bring The Ruckus & Gravel Pit were half-decent. The rest was just noise.

Sigrid is under the weather and has pulled out of sea sessions and the cork gig tomorrow night.
    Would love if she came back for ep

Chance the rapper gone from longtitude too, he has form for pulling outta gigs here

Seathrun66 wrote:
    They just resembled a bunch of guys grabbed from a reality show rehearsal, given mikes and told to wander the stage aimlessly. Bring The Ruckus & Gravel Pit were half-decent. The rest was just noise.

Ouch, glad I got to see them when they were still decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Missed them, though saw them at Glasto earlier that year and pretty good. Missed ATCQ too and likely to have enjoyed that. The Beastie Boys even more.

PE amongst my fave live bands so we're unlikely to reach any agreement on them. Chuck D also as good a frontman as there is and Prophets of Rage would have gone done very well at EP. Still an outside chance they'll play but leaving Europe to play Indonesia on Sun 1.

KRS-One another I'd welcome to Stradbally.

How did I forget the epic Beastie Boys sets.

I am pretty sure we have had the PE conversation before and we have agreed to disagree on that one.

KRS-One would be excellent.

Advertisement