Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

After getting myself the day early tickets to save myself from the crush coming off the bus in the morning. I'm wondering what's the best means of transport for the Thursday? Seems like there's no buses according to the website.

Answers available only upon disclosure of your first gig. Or when you first caught Chris de Burgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I was brought to a chris de burgh show when I was 12 or so.

I don't count it, i didn't choose it.

Same! If you didn't buy tickets it doesnt count ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    .... when you first caught Chris de Burgh.

it really sounds like something that a solid dose of penicillin would cure

symptoms : constand droning in the ears, random bints dressed like scarlet tarts keep appearing in front of you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

symptoms : constand droning in the ears, random bints dressed like scarlet tarts keep appearing in front of you

...and shagging your daughter's nanny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

one was trying to keep it tasteful, god knows why with you lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

one was trying to keep it tasteful, god knows why with you lot.

He was the one shagging his nanny but "we" are the ones being distasteful? Gotcha

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

First ever: Everyone else in the house thought they were too cool, and my mam had no one to go with, so I volunteered and went to a Joe Dolan concert with her when i was 15.. He was actually deadly!

A couple of years later (1992) I started going to gigs with my mates.
    I can't remember which came first tbh. It was either Sharon Shannon in a packed pub in Carlow, or Guns N Roses in Slane (support from My Little Funhouse and Faith No More).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Scout jamboree portumna 85 In tua nua (major teenage boy crush on Leslie after that show). First real gig he cure at the point 1992 no idea who support were.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gauralordon

First gig was Justin Timberlake with support from 50 Cent and Timbaland... RDS July 2007... I was 15 so pls waive the potential ban!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

After getting myself the day early tickets to save myself from the crush coming off the bus in the morning. I'm wondering what's the best means of transport for the Thursday? Seems like there's no buses according to the website.

Where are you coming from? If you can get a bus or train to portlaoise theres a bus to stradbally that leaves at 4.15pm daily (the no. 73). Or you can get a taxi frlm portloaise for about 20 quid id say. Failing that, the good people of Laoise are very friendly so you could chance your arm thumbing a lift!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

First gig was Justin Timberlake with support from 50 Cent and Timbaland... RDS July 2007... I was 15 so pls waive the potential ban!

:pac: was waiting for someone else to post a more 'recent' one! Mine was 2007 as well when I was 14 or 15, P.Diddy and Snoop Dogg in the Point!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭fourmations

another aul fella here....

metallica (and Danzig) top hat 1988!
    i was 14 and it was the greatest thing that ever happened to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭rubick

First gigs, is it?

The Prodigy at the Ulster Hall, March 1994, support from The 4th Dimension (whatever happened to the Irish Prodigy, lads?), and DJ Cliff McKay. I was 16 then. At the age of 41 last year, I went for a "disco nap" at 7.30pm on the Sunday of EP and woke up on Monday morning at 7am, and thus missed my last chance to see The Prodigy live. Putting that down to two late nights in the Rave in the Woods and at least one dodgy pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Dany Hitch wrote: »
    I was at that too. My mate and I brought our younger siblings to their first outdoor gig: such a buzz for the youngsters that even the 40 minute queues for beer and the woeful soundsystem didn't detract from their day out!

First gig; No Doubt in the Point in '97. Cans of Olde English cider in my mates back garden beforehand, never again. Still made it to school the next day. :)

Yep - same boat. I was about 13 and loved every minute of it, even if I was fully aware that it all sounded a bit rubbish and that I was so far back that I could barely see a thing!

First ever: Everyone else in the house thought they were too cool, and my mam had no one to go with, so I volunteered and went to a Joe Dolan concert with her when i was 15.. He was actually deadly!

A couple of years later (1992) I started going to gigs with my mates.
    I can't remember which came first tbh. It was either Sharon Shannon in a packed pub in Carlow, or Guns N Roses in Slane (support from My Little Funhouse and Faith No More).

Becoming a race to the bottom.

Justin wins out over Nickleback, Chris de Burgh & Joe Dolan so worry not. Thought his Justified album was brilliant.

And given the recent disclosures we'd likely have a fair old time trawling through the record collections of our fellow posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Race to the bottom is it?
    Well, how about Aslan as your first gig?

Poorside wrote: »

Not a fan but caught them recently supporting The Waterboys and they were good. Though unsure why a band that's been about for nearly forty years have covers for a third of their set.

They've always seemed like decent guys too so good luck to 'em.

Becoming a race to the bottom.

Oh oh I remember now. This was my first gig...

Seriously, I've no issues with anyone i've ever seen, and i've been to hundreds of gigs.
    I've grudgingly gone to acts i didn't like, only to be pleasently surprised, and also gone to acts i loved and been dissapointed.

I know you're half joking, but you know.

5492869134_f33a81801e_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Oh oh I remember now. This was my first gig...

Seriously, I've no issues with anyone i've ever seen, and i've been to hundreds of gigs.
    I've grudgingly gone to acts i didn't like, only to be pleasently surprised, and also gone to acts i loved and been dissapointed.

I know you're half joking, but you know.

5492869134_f33a81801e_b.jpg

No recorders??
    Dirty Boots just isn’t the same without someone in the audience playing along on their recorder.

• Advertisement

Caught a couple of gigs at the weekend. Both quite special young-ish Irish talents.

Brigid Mae Power from Galway (think Mary Margaret O'Hara in the late 80s). Beautiful quavering voice, beloved of The Guardian and should be more widely known.
    Daoiri Farrell, a charismatic folk singer from Crumlin.Again with a very fine voice.

Both would be very welcome at EP. Alas their natural home there is the Other Voices stage. I used to complain about getting to and from that stage. Will complain no longer.

Anyone seen a Joy Division covers crew called Digital? Due over this way next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Poorside wrote: »

Boyzone and Samantha Mumba

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Caught a couple of gigs at the weekend. Both quite special young-ish Irish talents.

Brigid Mae Power from Galway (think Mary Margaret O'Hara in the late 80s). Beautiful quavering voice, beloved of The Guardian and should be more widely known.
    Daoiri Farrell, a charismatic folk singer from Crumlin.Again with a very fine voice.

Both would be very welcome at EP. Alas their natural home there is the Other Voices stage. I used to complain about getting to and from that stage. Will complain no longer.

I've been listening to Anna Mieke on Spotify for the last while.
    She's from Wicklow and very good. Similar to Joshua Burnside / Lisa Hannigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭endainoz

Seathrun66 wrote:
    Brigid Mae Power from Galway (think Mary Margaret O'Hara in the late 80s). Beautiful quavering voice, beloved of The Guardian and should be more widely known. Daoiri Farrell, a charismatic folk singer from Crumlin.Again with a very fine voice.

Saw Daoiri Farrell at the Doolin folk festival, fantastic folk singer. Best version of Galway shawl I have heard. He'll do well in the folk scene I reckon.

endainoz wrote: »
    Saw Daoiri Farrell at the Doolin folk festival, fantastic folk singer. Best version of Galway shawl I have heard. He'll do well in the folk scene I reckon.

Yeah, he was excellent. Said he loved the Doolin fest and was still wearing the t-shirt. He'll be around for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

My first gig was in 1975 at the Glasgow Apollo, its was Margo and Larry Cunningham :eek: I suppose my folks couldn't find a babysitter at the time so brought us along. My first proper gig was with the brother and sister in 1980, The Police and their Regatta De Blanc tour, Message in a Bottle was number 1 at the time in the UK charts, my next gig was in the summer of 1980 with my sister again and the Undertones and their Hypnotised tour which was amazing. My first rock or metal gig was AC/DC at the Glasgow Apollo 1982 For Those About to Rock and a whole bunch of rock and punk gigs over the next few years. My first festival was Ballisdare Folk Festival in County Sligo in 1981 where I was working in my Uncle's stall, some of the headliners at that were Chuck Berry and the Bothy Band's last ever gig. My first rock festival was Monsters of Rock 1984: AC/DC, Van Halen, Ozzy Osbourne, Gary Moore, Y&T, A very young and debuting Motley Crue and German metallers Accept. OK will stop now. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

Metallica & Slipknot in 2006 I think it was. Too much to ask for Biffy Clyro or Royal Blood to be added to this bill? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

[/QUOTE]

That sounds like the plot for 'Our mutual friend', Kg. Tell me you were the inspiration![/quote]

Hehe not a chance, I worked with Cathy D :)

Advertisement