Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭rubick

sweetie wrote: »
    From recent gigs and albums this year and primavera I'd love to see Amyl and the Sniffers, CHAI, Lucy Dacus, the Beth's, Danny Brown, slowthai, just mustard, a lazarus soul, Durand Jones, Aldous Harding, Wilco, boards of Canada and Tyler the creator

No 2019 tour, sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I don't really see any space for another headline act in the scope of Robyn, Tame Impala, etc.

Looking at the poster and it is stacked at the top already. You would expect Florence, Hozier, the Strokes and the 1975 to get huge crowds (that's already four headliners for three headline slots!) and from the next section, I'd expect Billie Eilish, Christine & the Queens, Dermot Kennedy and Years & Years to get main stage slots to big crowds (subbing the headliners, etc - didn't the Indo report that Dermot Kennedy and Hozier was the main stage line up on the Friday night?)

There'll be a few added to the second tier for sure but that's in addition to the likes of Roisin Murphy, James Blake, Four Tet, etc who will all be headlining a tent or close to it, I'd say.

Space for the likes of Walking on Cars, etc to take the third or fourth slot on the main stage too.

This isn't meant to be a criticism but the last few years have seen more pop acts on the main stage and the more indie ones in the tents. It's great tbh. But with that split, where would you put Robyn or Tame Impala? Or Vampire Weekend, etc?

If they did pull it off, it'd be one of the strongest line ups (just in terms of touring acts and their profile) anywhere in the world this year tbf...

I guess you couldn't rule out Robyn as she hasn't played here at all yet, but it'd be a real surprise to see some other international acts play twice in 3/4 months given how strong the bill already is. And there's certainly space for an electronic/dance headline act, unless they skip it like the year they put Chic in that slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Camroc20

Had a look on Songkick and went through various artists that are potential for addition with being on tour around EU/Britain and have a free space the weekend of EP: Bicep, Charli XCX, Boys Noize, Kim Petras, Tame Impala, Robyn & Bloc Party.

Charli has already self-announced https://nialler9.com/charli-xcx-to-play-electric-picnic/.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MichaelM93l

Nice one, completely missed that.

Charli will definitely be one to watch over the weekend, the energy she brings to her live sets plus her recent output over the last 2 years is phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I don't really see any space for another headline act in the scope of Robyn, Tame Impala, etc.

Looking at the poster and it is stacked at the top already. You would expect Florence, Hozier, the Strokes and the 1975 to get huge crowds (that's already four headliners for three headline slots!) and from the next section, I'd expect Billie Eilish, Christine & the Queens, Dermot Kennedy and Years & Years to get main stage slots to big crowds (subbing the headliners, etc - didn't the Indo report that Dermot Kennedy and Hozier was the main stage line up on the Friday night?)

There'll be a few added to the second tier for sure but that's in addition to the likes of Roisin Murphy, James Blake, Four Tet, etc who will all be headlining a tent or close to it, I'd say.

Space for the likes of Walking on Cars, etc to take the third or fourth slot on the main stage too.

This isn't meant to be a criticism but the last few years have seen more pop acts on the main stage and the more indie ones in the tents. It's great tbh. But with that split, where would you put Robyn or Tame Impala? Or Vampire Weekend, etc?

If they did pull it off, it'd be one of the strongest line ups (just in terms of touring acts and their profile) anywhere in the world this year tbf...

I guess you couldn't rule out Robyn as she hasn't played here at all yet, but it'd be a real surprise to see some other international acts play twice in 3/4 months given how strong the bill already is. And there's certainly space for an electronic/dance headline act, unless they skip it like the year they put Chic in that slot.

Yes but I was referring to Marquee headliners, the next row down I suppose, headliners for Electric Arena, Rankin's Wood, Cosby Tent etc.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Yes but I was referring to Marquee headliners, the next row down I suppose, headliners for Electric Arena, Rankin's Wood, Cosby Tent etc.

Ah - fair. I was referring to the wider convo about Kings of Leon, Vampire Weekend, etc

I'd reckon Roisin Murphy and James Blake will headline Electric Arena. Further down, could Echo & the Bunnymen, Mitski or Courtney Barnet do prominent slots in the smaller tents? Courtney Barnet got a prominent main stage slot at Primavera so they appeal is there internationally anyway. Not sure about here.

The bulk of what is to come will fill out the smaller tents anyway, I'd say. Just think that a lot of the biggest slots, even in Electric Arena, are already sewn up by what's there.

The Johnny Marr Q is the one I want an answer to. Did someone just announce too early by including him on the poster or did he cancel and they issued the wrong version? Did Sleaford Mods do something similar in recent years? And I know Mitski was the same at All Points East this year. On the leaked poster, not the official and turned out she had cancelled.

Pretty sure Tame Impala headlined in the Electric Arena on their last visit, although they've stuck DJs on as headliners in there in recent years (Adam Beyer) or live electronic acts (Jon Hopkins). Would fully expect Amelie Lens to be in there this year.

The Johnny Marr Q is the one I want an answer to. Did someone just announce too early by including him on the poster or did he cancel and they issued the wrong version? Did Sleaford Mods do something similar in recent years? And I know Mitski was the same at All Points East this year. On the leaked poster, not the official and turned out she had cancelled.

Echo & the Bunnymen posted a 'proof' poster on their Twitter feed that included Jonny Marr on the line-up, was the same day of release as the main poster.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I can see The Streets headlining the EA one of the nights

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Nice one, completely missed that.

Charli will definitely be one to watch over the weekend, the energy she brings to her live sets plus her recent output over the last 2 years is phenomenal.

but the music is utter teeny drivel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

I can see The Streets headlining the EA one of the nights

Would be a brilliant Saturday night EA headliner!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MichaelM93l

but the music is utter teeny drivel?

No way, unless you're judging her by her 1999 single but her work like Vroom Vroom, Number 1 Angel, Pop 2 have been excellent!

I'd recommend diving deeper into her work the singles don't do her justice, two of my personal fav's are Focus and No Angel which is produced by SOPHIE and she can do no wrong in my eyes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Would be a brilliant Saturday night EA headliner!

They got rave reviews from there set on the John Peel stage over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I'd take charli xxyy over feckin hozier n Dermot Kennedy any day.

I'd recommend diving deeper into her work the singles don't do her justice, two of my personal fav's are Focus and No Angel which is produced by SOPHIE and she can do no wrong in my eyes.

SOPHIE is seriously good stuff so definitely worth a listen. If I'm Billy no mates like last year is there a boards meetup?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Stillill42

SOPHIE is seriously good stuff so definitely worth a listen. If I'm Billy no mates like last year is there a boards meetup?

I met Mucker and Seathrun last year and it changed my life. I'm up for it.

Ha, deadly, over40rus meets up!

Ha, deadly, over40rus meets up!

Done. I'll root out that Smiths tshirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I know the lineup already has enough decent acts to count as headliners, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they already have another big act already signed that they’re waiting to announce closer to the actual date. It’s a good way to keep up the hype going especially when you consider tickets always go sale straight after.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Stillill42 wrote: »

Me too. Pals have pulled out and I've offloaded tickets so may be alone or with one pal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Me too. Pals have pulled out and I've offloaded tickets so may be alone or with one pal.

At ep, you’re never really alone...

Could be tag line for a romantic comedy or a gruesome stalker movie

At ep, you’re never really alone...

Could be tag line for a romantic comedy or a gruesome stalker movie

I'm seeing it. Crazed teenagers in floral headbands and short shorts shinning up the rigging of the salty dog with a legion of middle-aged zombies in 80s band t-shirts grasping at their ankles. I'd watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

From recent gigs and albums this year and primavera I'd love to see Amyl and the Sniffers, CHAI, Lucy Dacus, the Beth's, Danny Brown, slowthai, just mustard, a lazarus soul, Durand Jones, Aldous Harding, Wilco, boards of Canada and Tyler the creator

Autechre would be an interesting booking too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Ah brings a tear to my eye. I also met thebusher. Brother and his girlfriend coming this year but totally different musical tastes so will be on my own and would defo be on for a meet up

I'm seeing it. Crazed teenagers in floral headbands and short shorts shinning up the rigging of the salty dog with a legion of middle-aged zombies in 80s band t-shirts grasping at their ankles. I'd watch it.

*digs out James daisy t-shirt*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I take it at this stage it will be into Aug before another set of acts will be announced for the all the main stages ? Happy with a lot of what has been announced so far.

Definitely not as put out this year that more hasn't been announced yet...my eye has been wandering to other festivals for next year so maybe a bit of 'meh' setting in over EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

LowOdour wrote: »
    I take it at this stage it will be into Aug before another set of acts will be announced for the all the main stages ? Happy with a lot of what has been announced so far.

Definitely not as put out this year that more hasn't been announced yet...my eye has been wandering to other festivals for next year so maybe a bit of 'meh' setting in over EP.

I'd say so. Well, if they plan on being prícks like last year, and announcing the 2nd tranche of acts on the Friday of all together now, then it should be Fri Aug 2nd.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I saw these guys in London a few weeks ago. I thought they seemed good, but my pals who would be more into punk or heavier rock didn't like them at all live! I suspect they are better for an October Vicar Street type gig rather than a festival.

In any event, they are in the US for July and back to Oz for EP weekend. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

rubick wrote: »
    No 2019 tour, sadly.

FTFY

• Advertisement

July 4th and the Electric Picnic 2019 thread has almost been knocked off the first page of the gigs and events section. Heads should roll.

Advertisement