Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭rubick

Not sure what it's like in and around Stradbally today but in Belfast it's absolutely hammering down.

Has there been much rain leading up to now in Laois? Wonder what the ground is like. I can't actually remember very much in the way of unmanageable mud in all my years at EP, even on the wettest years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

rubick wrote: »
    Not sure what it's like in and around Stradbally today but in Belfast it's absolutely hammering down.

Has there been much rain leading up to now in Laois? Wonder what the ground is like. I can't actually remember very much in the way of unmanageable mud in all my years at EP, even on the wettest years.

I was up in the grounds last weekend and it is bone dry, the little bit of rain will do it the world of good. There has been feck all rain this summer so it would take a good few weeks of rain to turn into a mud bath

• Registered Users Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Yeah I'm not feeling positive for the Foo Fighters gig in Boucher Rd on the 19th if this rain keeps up. It'll be a ****ing swamp.

And no festival will ever compare to the mudfest of Witness 2002 (IIRC).

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gauralordon

Jmorris93 wrote: »
    Hey pals, what are the Thursday queues like? First time with an early pass

We left Dublin around 2 pm last year, traffic was grand, loads of parking to get close to the entrance (I think we parked in red), and no queues at all. Really relaxed atmosphere i.e. nobody scrambling over one another to get to where they wanna camp. I can't recommend going down a day early enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ah that was brilliant, what a shanty town. Hijacked one of the golf buggies to go for a drive round and see the carnage, eventually left it stranded in the mud somewhere. Electric Picnic could do with having a look at that lineup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    A bit of a tangent, but I was looking back to see who played that year and realised how depressing it is to see bands that I really love now that played the years I was there but i hadn't a clue who they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

BaZmO* wrote: »
    A bit of a tangent, but I was looking back to see who played that year and realised how depressing it is to see bands that I really love now that played the years I was there but i hadn't a clue who they were.

Another tangent, with an added question. What was the thing with the misspelling for festival names? Witnness, Oxegen, etc? Interns in admin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Another tangent, with an added question. What was the thing with the misspelling for festival names? Witnness, Oxegen, etc? Interns in admin?

Could be wrong but i think it was to do with the sponsor. Witness were sponsored by guinness and Oxygen by Heineken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Cant answer for Oxegen but Witnness was named that as it was sponsored by Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Mollyb60 wrote: »

My God that was the worst. We had to get on the 'dirty' bus coming back cos we were mucked to bits.

EP 2-3 years ago was a nightmare too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

I imagine it was mainly down to trademarking (or copyright, im not too up with legalese), you can't trademark/copyright a word or phrase if its in common usage but if its a different spelling you can as far as i know, might be a bad explanation but i think youll get the gist

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Cant answer for Oxegen but Witnness was named that as it was sponsored by Guinness.

Yup, that's correct. I'm not sure about the Oxegen reason though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

The website says eco isn't open until 9am Friday morning

https://www.electricpicnic.ie/information/ticket-info#info-section-38623

• Subscribers Posts: 41,632 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Could be wrong but i think it was to do with the sponsor. Witness were sponsored by guinness and Oxygen by Heineken.

i never would have correlated either of those !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Stillill42

My God that was the worst. We had to get on the 'dirty' bus coming back cos we were mucked to bits.

Ah, but I still look back fondly on Public service broadcasting on Body and Soul main stage in the absolute pissings of rain on the Saturday night. That was beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

griffdaddy wrote: »

I've emailed them to ask now anyway. After the ATN sh1tshow I'd leave now for EP if I could

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I dunno what it is about this year but I’m way more excited than I usually am a few weeks before it.
    Itching to get my hands on the new map to see Freetown

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Synergism

They sent out Family Camping Pass Barcodes on General Admission Weekend Tickets the other day, second year in a row.

They also already run a balance payment scheme.

Would this be a reason to avoid buying a Family Camping ticket off someone? I've been offered one and I'm trying to think of any potential problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I would sell my left kidney to get a lineup like that year now. It was amazing.

It was my first festival, arrived late (like 11pm) on the Friday with my 2 mates and struggled through the mud to the first campsite we could find. Squeezed our way into a space between some tents, absolutely failed at putting up the tent right, gave up half way through and just started drinking. It was possibly the most miserable I've ever been at a festival. Mucked to the eyes, shattered tired, pissed, freezing cold. We all huddled together to keep warm and moved the tent at first light. Ran out of money at the festival and hadn't arranged any way home coz we were stupid children. Had to call our mate's dad to come collect us (from Tipperary) on Monday morning. I'd say we looked like refugees getting into his van.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

And no festival will ever compare to the mudfest of Witness 2002 (IIRC).[/quote]

Ah the mud that year was unreal crazy rain the week before it. But I think the Saturday was nice and Sunday was a scorcher. Sunburnt and covered in Mud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i never would have correlated either of those !

it was pretty obvious from a lot of the branding.
    oxegen had the the 'en' at the end in the same colour and font as the Heineken logo.
    the Witnness logo had a pint of Guinness at the end.

225px-Oxegen.jpg

OXEGEN-2005-Poster.jpg

OXEGEN_2009_POSTER.gif

Witnnesslogo.png

Witnness-3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭beecee

haitens wrote: »

Ah the mud that year was unreal crazy rain the week before it. But I think the Saturday was nice and Sunday was a scorcher. Sunburnt and covered in Mud.

It was the idiots having mud fights with the dried up mud on the Sunday that drove me mad. Persuaded friend to leave Oasis when I got hit on the back of the head for the third time :mad: ... Basement Jaxx were a million times better!!! :D

• Subscribers Posts: 41,632 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

it was pretty obvious from a lot of the branding.
    oxegen had the the 'en' at the end in the same colour and font as the Heineken logo.
    the Witnness logo had a pint of Guinness at the end.

obvious now :D

though those were more of my 'hazy' days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Ah Oxegen 2004 - went for 2 acts...David Bowie and the Strokes.

While the Strokes gig was one of my best gigs ever, it still irks me to this day that I never saw Bowie live. Don't think he played Ireland again after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

LowOdour wrote: »

While the Strokes gig was one of my best gigs ever, it still irks me to this day that I never saw Bowie live. Don't think he played Ireland again after that?

Yeah as far as i know the Reality Tour at the Point in 2003 was his last Irish show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

487619.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kepler21

On the email invitation and the Eventbrite ticket for the BYEco campsite it says Thursday Aug 29th at 4pm. The Electric Picnic website doesn't have a great track record of going back and correcting errors like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭endainoz

Oxegen 04, my first real festival experience. Had followed Witnness all the way through it's brief existence but wasn't old enough to go so upon turning 18 Oxegen was the first for me.

It's seems to be a rite of passage for young people going back to the last 70s. Macroom in cork was the first proper outdoor event, was followed by Lisdoonvarna from '78 to '83. Seems to be a long gap up to the First feile in '90 and then another gap to the first Witnness in '00.

I don't believe there was anything to fill the gap between lisdoonvarna and the first feile but I could be wrong!

At least there is so much variety now in bigger and medium sized festivals now. I'm not sure if we could ever go back to the 80,000+ gigantic events of the old oxegens but who knows.

In between all this of course you had fleadhs and the like which were definitely very big events in their day and arguably still are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

endainoz wrote: »
    Oxegen 04, my first real festival experience. Had followed Witnness all the way through it's brief existence but wasn't old enough to go so upon turning 18 Oxegen was the first for me.

It's seems to be a rite of passage for young people going back to the last 70s. Macroom in cork was the first proper outdoor event, was followed by Lisdoonvarna from '78 to '83. Seems to be a long gap up to the First feile in '90 and then another gap to the first Witnness in '00.

I don't believe there was anything to fill the gap between lisdoonvarna and the first feile but I could be wrong!

At least there is so much variety now in bigger and medium sized festivals now. I'm not sure if we could ever go back to the 80,000+ gigantic events of the old oxegens but who knows.

In between all this of course you had fleadhs and the like which were definitely very big events in their day and arguably still are.

To be fair, capacity-wise, EP isn't a world away from that. 65k now, isn't it?

The difference now is that festivals cater for people on more than just a big musical sense - EP has so many distinct and unique areas that the crowd very rarely feels like an enormous mass of people, in my experience.

That is the big difference - Oxegen just threw 80,000 people into a field for four days, put on a few burger vans and then just said "go nuts". It always felt like everyone was right on top of each other for that reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

LowOdour wrote: »

Replaced by the darkness :(

Advertisement