Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    Replaced by the darkness :(

Their cover of Street Spirit will forever haunt me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭endainoz

That is the big difference - Oxegen just threw 80,000 people into a field for four days, put on a few burger vans and then just said "go nuts". It always felt like everyone was right on top of each other for that reason.

Very true, but I think Oxegen always did s decent job in terms of crowd control, it can't have been that easy but yeah it was a mess in other aspects of course and the anti social aspect ruined it for many.

On a total side note, it looks like Republic of Loose are bringing out a best of album on the 30th and seem to be active on FB again too. Some bit of a reunion tour to promote the album that would include and EP date in somewhere like Rankin's woods on the Friday night possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

endainoz wrote: »
    It's seems to be a rite of passage for young people going back to the last 70s. Macroom in cork was the first proper outdoor event

and literally nothing good has happened there since

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭fourmations

Very true, but I think Oxegen always did s decent job in terms of crowd control, it can't have been that easy but yeah it was a mess in other aspects of course and the anti social aspect ruined it for many.

On a total side note, it looks like Republic of Loose are bringing out a best of album on the 30th and seem to be active on FB again too. Some bit of a reunion tour to promote the album that would include and EP date in somewhere like Rankin's woods on the Friday night possibly?

Mik is playing already with Shogunz of stank
    they were there last year and did a few ROL tunes

• Subscribers Posts: 41,632 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hes with panak attaks too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

CC is playing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

Awwww.
    No announcement today then...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

It’s no announcement on a Friday that hurts the most I feel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

and literally nothing good has happened there since

You obviously never went to Townlands in 2017 and 2018.....

Great little festival, with line ups that matched my taste in music to a tee. It wasn't on this year, due to licensing issues I heard.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Yeah as far as i know the Reality Tour at the Point in 2003 was his last Irish show

The point gig was such a good show. Only time i saw bowie live and he didn't disappoint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 cjdennis29

Why are we saying no announcement today? Are they aleays at noon?

Poorside wrote: »
    CC is playing as well.

CC??

on the subject, i cant believe Republic of Loose didnt make it big,
    the trio of "You know it, Steady Song and Comeback girl"
    are some of my favourite songs ever,

CC??

CC Brez.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

To be fair, capacity-wise, EP isn't a world away from that. 65k now, isn't it?

The difference now is that festivals cater for people on more than just a big musical sense - EP has so many distinct and unique areas that the crowd very rarely feels like an enormous mass of people, in my experience.

That is the big difference - Oxegen just threw 80,000 people into a field for four days, put on a few burger vans and then just said "go nuts". It always felt like everyone was right on top of each other for that reason.

57500 apparently

You obviously never went to Townlands in 2017 and 2018.....

Great little festival, with line ups that matched my taste in music to a tee. It wasn't on this year, due to licensing issues I heard.......

i found it to be meh if im honest, way too many local scumbags just going to get f*cked up and cause trouble, even at that they were the exception to the rule of the town being the skidmark on the underwear of the beautiful county that is Cork

on the subject, i cant believe Republic of Loose didnt make it big, the trio of "You know it, Steady Song and Comeback girl" are some of my favourite songs ever,

Yeah they had some amount of airplay in those days. Arghhh!! Was one of my favorite albums from the early 00s and any time I saw them it was always a mad crowd. I won't is that 30th of August date just coincidence for the best of album. I just pre ordered the vinyl there, hype has got to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I imagine it was mainly down to trademarking (or copyright, im not too up with legalese), you can't trademark/copyright a word or phrase if its in common usage but if its a different spelling you can as far as i know, might be a bad explanation but i think youll get the gist

Yeah, makes sense for both. And yeah, I'd forgotten also about the Guinness sponsorship of Witnness. Was out of the country when those festivals were on. Only one I travelled to was Oxegen 2004. For Bowie. Not a great success on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Oxegen 04, my first real festival experience. Had followed Witnness all the way through it's brief existence but wasn't old enough to go so upon turning 18 Oxegen was the first for me.

It's seems to be a rite of passage for young people going back to the last 70s. Macroom in cork was the first proper outdoor event, was followed by Lisdoonvarna from '78 to '83. Seems to be a long gap up to the First feile in '90 and then another gap to the first Witnness in '00.

I don't believe there was anything to fill the gap between lisdoonvarna and the first feile but I could be wrong!

At least there is so much variety now in bigger and medium sized festivals now. I'm not sure if we could ever go back to the 80,000+ gigantic events of the old oxegens but who knows.

In between all this of course you had fleadhs and the like which were definitely very big events in their day and arguably still are.

You forgot this one in Tramore, Waterford from 1993.

4c18fab341cf730bba4ec5ec5c9f27b8.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 otterboy

otterboy wrote: »
    What about Pink Moon? can we get ThursdayPM access with the Early Access tickets?

Apologies - should have done my own homework....
    from the EP Website.....
    "Early Entry ticket holders can enter the campsites from 4pm on Thursday 29th August. Ticket requirement details as below:

General campsites – you must have an Early Entry ticket + Valid Weekend Camping ticket to gain access.
    Pink Moon customers must have a Pink Moon Early Entry ticket + Electric Picnic Early Entry ticket along with their Valid Weekend Camping ticket and Pink Moon accommodation package.
    Boutique customers must have the relevant Boutique Early Entry ticket + Electric Picnic Early Entry ticket along with their Valid Weekend Camping ticket and Boutique accommodation package.
    There will be no admittance to the above campsites on Thursday 29th August if you do not have an Early Entry Pass and a Weekend Camping Ticket (plus relevant additional tickets / accommodation packages for Pink Moon and Boutique customers).

Early Entry Passes are not valid for the Family Campsite or Eco Campsite, these campsites do not open until 9am on Friday 30th September."

• Advertisement

There’s been an announcement

A shîte one though.

A shîte one though.

i now have the same feeling of disappointment that my parents have in me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Has to be a troll by EP organisers knowing we were all expecting something bigger either yesterday or today...

Possibly the single worst standalone announcement they've ever made. How is it worth a post haha. Rory's stories next.

John.Icy wrote: »
    Has to be a troll by EP organisers knowing we were all expecting something bigger either yesterday or today...

Possibly the single worst standalone announcement they've ever made. How is it worth a post haha. Rory's stories next.

How exactly it deserves its own announcement is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

The 2 Johnnies? And they've had 5 number 1 Irish singles?
    I Dunno.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,742 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

A shîte one though.

An announcement of "the two johnnies"?

Grand - now they can f**k themselves..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hallabally

A shîte one though.

An utterly Sh1te one!

I am starting to think no big announcement is coming!

Hozier, 1975 and The strokes....hardly ground breaking! Usually 5 headline acts announced only 4 this year unless Billie Eilish has got so big that they are counting her as the 5th

patch wrote: »
    The 2 Johnnies? And they've had 5 number 1 Irish singles?
    I Dunno.....

Really?
    That’s unfortunate, will they sing songs about Breakfast rolls and cups a tae?

You forgot this one in Tramore, Waterford from 1993.

Ah yes, well before my time but a serious lineup all the same, serious international flavor of acts there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Have to say though I think we are in a much better place than this time last year

If I had of read that this time last year I would have actually self harmed

Advertisement