Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭bergipau

Jayz lads, have to say I am really struggling with this lineup. I've gone through every act announced so far in the main arena announcements and so far I am really struggling to find things that catch my interest, even some of the ones I have an interest ins are ones I probably would have only had on my maybe list in years gone by. So far I have Florence, Christine & the Queens, Four Tet, The Streets, Metronomy, Shura, Le Boom, Talos, DJ Seinfeld and Girl in Red. Really hoping they pull a rabbit out of the hat in the next announcement as this is by a distance the least interest I've ever had in the lineup.

Has anyone got any suggestions from the Body & Soul area to check out? International Teachers of Pop sound okay but haven't listened to too many others yet.

King Kong company are always fantastic. I was listening to the B&S playlist and Thumper sound excellent. I’m definitely checking them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Jayz lads, have to say I am really struggling with this lineup. I've gone through every act announced so far in the main arena announcements and so far I am really struggling to find things that catch my interest, even some of the ones I have an interest ins are ones I probably would have only had on my maybe list in years gone by. So far I have Florence, Christine & the Queens, Four Tet, The Streets, Metronomy, Shura, Le Boom, Talos, DJ Seinfeld and Girl in Red. Really hoping they pull a rabbit out of the hat in the next announcement as this is by a distance the least interest I've ever had in the lineup.

Has anyone got any suggestions from the Body & Soul area to check out? International Teachers of Pop sound okay but haven't listened to too many others yet.

Would be surprised if Lamb weren't to your taste.

And no interest in The Strokes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭rubick

Initial thoughts for me (minus a bit of homework, to be done over the next few weekends):

Four Tet
    Jarvis Cocker
    Johnny Marr
    Richie Hawtin
    Roisin Murphy
    The Streets
    Amelie Lens
    Courtney Barnett
    Echo & the Bunnymen
    Otherkin
    Sons of Kemet
    Maceo Plex
    These Charming Men
    Interskalactic
    Montauk Hotel
    Bazza Ranks & MC Dynamite
    Lamb
    Gaudi
    Ryan Vail & Elma Orkestra

Haven't counted the oul Rave in the Woods in this, also hoping for a bit more jungle/DnB aside from MC Dynamite. Looking forward to schedule clashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

rubick wrote: »
    That's exactly it. I buy one every year then it gets left in the tent, so I can't actually remember if all stages are covered. Pretty sure they are.

They only show the main arena stages. They don't list Body & Soul, Salty Dog, and the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jeditokingyoda

I know I've mentioned them a few times, but based on your list there, maybe you might like Elder Island. They'll be playing at body and soul. Check them out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Lamb, KKC, the claque, in their thousands, Fonda,

If you're a fan of The Orb, check out Gaudi for a bit of ambient dub/house and some of the finest theremin work this side the Bonzo Doo Dah Dog Band.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Ficcss

For people who have staid on the Thursday evening before, What time is there comedy/music & food until?

Seriously in two minds about it...

Ficcss wrote: »
    For people who have staid on the Thursday evening before, What time is there comedy/music & food until?

Salty Dog and (I think) comedy at The Hazel Wood are the only stages open, with music until at least 11pm on SD. As far as grub goes, there are traders open in Eco Campsite, and the usual vendors in Warhol/Hendrix.

Would be great if they announce that Freetown will be open on the Thursday, although a lot messier for someone of my vintage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Ficcss wrote: »

Think Salty Dog was going until 1, good few food stalls were open in Wilde.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Genghis

If I wasn't doing any research, I'd be looking at this list! I am doing research, and my list looks like this! Nice work!

Second that! @Stillill42 awesome work. Gonna playlist that later ;)

Will make my own list, but still working on closing the gap between a) my ambition to attend and b) my failure so far to get a ticket to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Cheers for the replies folks, some I liked and some not so much but that's the nature of it! Will go through the Body & Soul lineup over the net day or two, one that are interesting me that I've just discovered is Arvo Party.

bergipau - Forgot King Kong Company were on the lineup actually, can never decide how much I like them, not a huge fan of their music but they put on a good show. They will definitely be decided based upon what else is on at that time, if they are closing the B&S main stage they could be class.

Seathrun - Just checked out a couple of Lamb tunes there, sort of remind me of Massive Attack in certain songs, they will be in the maybe pile for now. The Strokes I have no real interest in apart from their big tunes, I might go and catch half of them.

jeditokingyoga - Good shout on Elder Island, looked up 2 songs and instantly sound good, will be going into my maybe pile for now also.

rubick - Unfortunately Gaudi is not what I am into, maybe jumping to conclusions but could tell by scanning through one of his sets that it would definitely not be my thing.

Ricoscruffneck - Can only seem to find 2 The Claque songs, hard to know what to make of them based on that but not sure if they are my thing. In Their Thousands sounding decent, will continue to give them a listen.

I have had a meticulous system in place for EP the last few years. I have all of the acts announced for each stage in a spreadsheet, I go through each stage/area over few weeks preceding the festival and if I don't like them they go red, if they have potential they go yellow and if they are a go and see they go green. I'll make a playlist of all the 'maybes' on spotify then and listen to it over the next few weeks and whichever ones grow on me the most go into my to see list! Have found some acts that have ended up becoming some of my favourites over the years but this year I don't feel like I will have the same joy.

Just noticed on the EP A-Z list on their website there seems to be a couple of acts there that aren't in any announcements.. Not major acts but Irish ones (including a fav of mine, Cinema), also a lot of the acts playing B&S seem to have the day that they are playing listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Salty Dog and (I think) comedy at The Hazel Wood are the only stages open, with music until at least 11pm on SD. As far as grub goes, there are traders open in Eco Campsite, and the usual vendors in Warhol/Hendrix.

Would be great if they announce that Freetown will be open on the Thursday, although a lot messier for someone of my vintage.

From the 1st announcement. It says 4 days, so i guess that means Thursday too?

"As Electric Picnic's various artful hubs all around the festival find places in our hearts as firm favourites, this year we are beyond excited to share an exhilarating new world: FREETOWN.

Construction will shortly get underway to create a whole new town within the festival's mind-blowing creative acreage, located on the pastureland formerly occupied by the Oscar Wilde Campsite. Anchored by Terminus, a brand new 8,000 capacity mega-stage for electronica and dance (presented as an Eastern Bloc architectural colossus), Freetown will rise from the ground for just 4 days of the year. Also within its walls, the labyrinthine streets of Providencia will unveil catch-it-while-you-can Latino life down every alley-way, around every corner, while on its outskirts, Spike Island - a swamphut jumping with seisiúns of slip-jigs, The Oasis, an improvised home-place for the gaggle of idealists and a brand new Cirque on the edge of town where death defying, jaw-dropping acts of edgy spectacle unfold.

In Freetown, fizzing neon will blink promises at you, and towering billboards may claim truths. Brought to you by the Electric Picnic team that created Berlinhaus , Salty Dog and Trailer Park, we look forward to unveiling something completely thrilling for you.

We welcome Freetown to our Electric Picnic world, a world full of surprises with its music, culture, imagination, with laughter and magic around each nook and cranny, where you happen up many wonderful areas ……Body and Soul – the creative oasis and pulsating heart of the festival, the whimsical world of The Hazel Wood deep in the forest, the reggae world of Trenchtown and the long abandoned city of Anachronica, the theatrical and the debauched Jerry Fish Electric Sideshow, the engaging spoken word arena of Mindfield and Theatre of Food serving homage to all things gastronomic, the irreverent, satirical Comedy Tent and our very special Comedy Night with its all-female line-up on Thursday night for those early arrivés !"

Missed that the first time around, I am suddenly excite!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,632 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

reading that i fear the worst for salty dog.

its located slap bang between wilde and the main area, so if freetown becomes part of the main arenas beer policy then salty dog does too

There’ll be some amount of bodies milling about a small walkway at the Salty Dog unless they open up a new entrance/exit for the main arena to Freetown.

The name Freetown would be bitterly ironic in that instance.

The way I see Freetown:

- 'Terminus' = large main stage in a 'eastern block' style apartment building, stage near the bottom of Wilde, where the food vendors usually are

- a path winding its way through the Wilde site, with art installations and food vendors, smaller stages for local DJs

- 'Spike Island' towards the top left hand side of the area, opposite Salty Dog

- food vendors close to Salty Dog end of the area, avoiding sound bleed

- the whole freeflow area = Trenchtown/Anachronica/Hazel Wood/Transmission/Freetown/Salty Dog

***DISCLAIMER***
    I've literally pulled this out of my hole without any experience of events planning beyond sticking a few tunes on YouTube when I've had a few cans in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Kolsch and Roisin Murphy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Rfrip wrote: »
    Kolsch and Roisin Murphy?

Both in the maybe list. Roisin Murphy I saw at ATN last year and I only half enjoyed her (although a really good performer), then with Kolsch I enjoy his own songs but not sure on his sets overall based on youtube. There is a good chance I will be at both though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Mucker46

From B&S recommend Ae Mak thumper (great fun at kaleidoscope) whenyoung and kkc

From salty dog pillow queens, vulpynes, montauk hotel, and state lights.

New for me Yonaka who i am liking

Also recommended just mustard much better live than on record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Melvin Benn on Todayfm right now speaking about EP being "environmentally conscious"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

mimimcmc wrote: »
    Melvin Benn on Todayfm right now speaking about EP being "environmentally conscious"

To be fair to promoters of all festivals they intend and try to be eco friendly. But what can you do about people ditching items in the wrong bins, using disposable plastic and leaving tents behind? Can't blame the organisers for the bad habits of festival goers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

alastair wrote: »
    Recommendation from ATN - Yankari

https://youtu.be/0Dn4Onh5k5I

I think they would be great for a main stage opening slot, they would be perfect.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

just noticed Natty Wailer on the a-z list on the EP site, anyone know does he just play same setlist as The Wailers?
    that would be decent for a Sunday afternoon.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,632 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

showpony1 wrote: »
    just noticed Natty Wailer on the a-z list on the EP site, anyone know does he just play same setlist as The Wailers?

hes has 2 of his own lps ,. but he does mix it up good with wailers music and other artists... about 50 / 50 from what i recall.

seen him at Bare in the woods a few years back....

https://www.facebook.com/nattywailerandthereggaevibes/videos/10153954082131200/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Mucker46

showpony1 wrote: »

Saw him at kaleidoscope played a good few marley songs. Great atmosphere also.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

***DISCLAIMER***
    I've literally pulled this out of my hole without any experience of events planning beyond sticking a few tunes on YouTube when I've had a few cans in the house.

Job waitIng at ATN for ya!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭endainoz

I think it's time for some wacky predictions for this bit of an announcement if/when we do indeed get it. The following are a collection of acts that night be able to fit themselves in on that weekend but are mostly just ones I'd like to see.

The Offspring (I'd say people are sick of me going on about this one, they are basically my Aphex twin at this point)

Republic of Loose (as noted they have a best of due out on August 30th, a gig at EP to coincide with this would be great, and aci quite likely I think)

The Frames (hey a man can dream.....)

Kneecap (was suprised they weren't at ATN tbh, have had a great summer of festivals doing killer sets at b&s and longtitude)

The Chats (think they are still around Europe during this time)

We banjo 3 (fantastic folk band that have spent a good amount of time in the US recently on the folk circuit, but an Irish tour is coming in the Autumn and a gap in their schedule around EP time. They would be absolutely immense at Salty Dog I reckon)

If I get two out of this list I'll be right happy with myself.

• Advertisement

Has the Heineken Sound atlas thing been announced yet?

Advertisement