Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

endainoz wrote: »
    What about Franz Ferdinand as a bit of a left field addition? Playing with kings of Leon on the Friday in Liverpool so they might hop over.

I'd be very happy with that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

They’re overdue a return, last played in 2013 I think.

Yup played before Arctic Monkeys on the Sunday and blew the Arctic Monkeys out of the water imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Wolff tweeted that playing jerry fish but not on poster. Hardly the special guest though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭endainoz

Also re Woodstock, an American radio station WXPN are streaming the whole festival over the weekend as it happened. Pretty cool concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So spent a lot of today pondering what is possible in the next announcement (presuming there is still a small one to come).

My heart says it would be amazing if we got a late dance headliner such as the Chemical Brothers or Underworld, but my head says there is already enough headliner material on the poster. The Strokes, Florence, The 1975, Hozier & Billie Eilish are easily a bigger bunch of headliners than we got last year and presuming 2 of those played the Sat/Sun and 1 on Friday, I can't see how another headliner would fit. On the other hand, I still feel like there are gaps on the main stage earlier in the day and not sure who of the current acts announced are going to feature on the main stage.

Seem to be a lot of Irish acts who normally play not on the lineup yet.. Le Galaxie, Ships, Kojaque, Versatile, Kneecap, Wyvern Lingo, The Murder Capital then your likes of Walking on Cars, Ryan Sheridan, Delorentos etc.

Plenty of good Irish DJs that could end up playing Freetown - Krystal Klear, Mano le Tough, New Jackson all usually appear in Stradbally and none announced so far. DJ Deece, R. Kitt, Brame & Hamo are another few Irish DJs that would be good contenders for there you would say too maybe? I would take any of those names in Freetown gladly, probably more I am leaving out too.

Ferris you are forgetting the magical words, After Headliners, stage closers, there is the headliner and for either the Friday or Saturday there is usually an after headliner who closes the main stage, so keep these fingers crossed.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Hi I know it’s probably been asked a million times but is it possible to use a family ticket as a general camping ticket?
    Does anyone have a link to info on it? I’ve went through ep website but can’t find anything and have mailed picnic, mcd and ticketmaster but no reply yet. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    Hi I know it’s probably been asked a million times but is it possible to use a family ticket as a general camping ticket?
    Does anyone have a link to info on it? I’ve went through ep website but can’t find anything and have mailed picnic, mcd and ticketmaster but no reply yet. Thanks in advance

Yes, but it's normally easy to swap with someone that's looking for a family ticket, try the Facebook banter page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Poorside wrote: »
    Yes, but it's normally easy to swap with someone that's looking for a family ticket, try the Facebook banter page

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭rubick

So spent a lot of today pondering what is possible in the next announcement (presuming there is still a small one to come).

My heart says it would be amazing if we got a late dance headliner such as the Chemical Brothers or Underworld, but my head says there is already enough headliner material on the poster.

Underworld are in Bucharest over the EP weekend, playing on the Saturday.

Chems have nothing listed on their site past 24th August.

Seen as the big stage in Freetown holds 8,000, you would need a fairly high Calibre dance act to fill it. If it is indeed free flow, it's possible it will be a more late night thing to start when the bars are closed?

I'm assuming we won't get this new map layout until at least next week so that leaves today for something? I'd even take mindfield at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Im back to being positive

Whatever is announced next isnt going to be amazing for me. The two i want, Robyn and Tame Impala are not going to happen
    Last years EP for me was the best in years even though i moaned on the 2018 EP thread for 46 weeks
    Spent way more time in salty dog, trailer park and other areas than we normally would have
    EP seems to be putting way more into surrounding areas year on year and thats where ive had the best times too.
    So with the addition of Freetown and all the other goings on then it can only be amazing

this time two weeks....bring it on......but without the rain!

its really an emotional rollercoaster isnt it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Surely last main announcement today.
    Then mindfield, and all the last trailing announcements throughout next week, with the site map coming on Friday next.
    Then the stage times will come Mon-Wed of the week leading into it.

That's how i'd see it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Would there not be an "announcement of the announcement" yet from someone like Today FM?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Still find it mad that no Irish promoter fancied Wilco.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Scooby rot

Rfrip wrote: »
    Im back to being positive

Whatever is announced next isnt going to be amazing for me. The two i want, Robyn and Tame Impala are not going to happen
    Last years EP for me was the best in years even though i moaned on the 2018 EP thread for 46 weeks
    Spent way more time in salty dog, trailer park and other areas than we normally would have
    EP seems to be putting way more into surrounding areas year on year and thats where ive had the best times too.
    So with the addition of Freetown and all the other goings on then it can only be amazing

this time two weeks....bring it on......but without the rain!

its really an emotional rollercoaster isnt it :D

Hopefully we will get a big and good announcement today to follow up on Jerry Fish's yesterday. There are a lot of possibilities out there, The Killers, Queen with Adam Lambert, Tame Impala, KOL...... Who knows?? Really excited now more so than the past couple of years!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Ferris you are forgetting the magical words, After Headliners, stage closers, there is the headliner and for either the Friday or Saturday there is usually an after headliner who closes the main stage, so keep these fingers crossed.

I hope you are right bodhrandude. Although I can see The Strokes doing the closing slot on Saturday (like Blur in 2015) and Florence doing the Sunday again. Maybe the Friday night someone could do it, but I think Hozier is down for that night.

Scooby rot wrote: »
    Hopefully we will get a big and good announcement today to follow up on Jerry Fish's yesterday. There are a lot of possibilities out there, The Killers, Queen with Adam Lambert, Tame Impala, KOL...... Who knows?? Really excited now more so than the past couple of years!!!

I'd say all of those are unlikely, big enough to be headliners in their own right so they would have been announced long ago, but got to see queen and Adam Lambert in marley park last year and they were amazing. One of those gigs where I had a constant smile on my face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Seen as the big stage in Freetown holds 8,000, you would need a fairly high Calibre dance act to fill it. If it is indeed free flow, it's possible it will be a more late night thing to start when the bars are closed?

I'm assuming we won't get this new map layout until at least next week so that leaves today for something? I'd even take mindfield at this stage!

This is why I think the traditional post-headliner headline act may not be as big a deal as previous years. The midnight-2.30AM slot for the Chemical Brothers, etc might instead be replaced by a buzzing Freetown area with some medium sized dance acts on the 8,000-capacity stage, and then other people could be dispersed throughout Body & Soul, etc.

It doesn't directly translate capacity-wise but it might explain the frequent references to Freetown in the press releases, and the lack of an obvious dance headliner (at this stage - an announcement in 2/3 hours, if there is one, could blow this all out of the water).

What's the capacity of the Main Stage? Would it be about 15,000 standing plus the viewing areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Is there any bike parking facilities at EP. Got caught waiting too long for taxi's last year so might cycle the 6km back to the mother-in-laws house!

• Advertisement

rubick wrote: »
    What's the capacity of the Main Stage? Would it be about 15,000 standing plus the viewing areas?

I'd say a good but bigger for full capacity, maybe around 25,000 at a guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭d_levins

Wooderson wrote: »
    Still find it mad that no Irish promoter fancied Wilco.

I was looking at that, there's a slight chance they could be in the last announcement. no Irish date for the european tour, and it starts the wednesday after EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

We had the stranglers a few years back, they were in fine bouncy health from what I remember.

Their former lead is also touring very soon.

He did an Irish tour last Nov/Dec so probably won't be on the road here for a while. EP though is a possibility. Great gig in Galway but not as strong as The Stranglers were in Stradbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Stillill42

d_levins wrote: »
    I was looking at that, there's a slight chance they could be in the last announcement. no Irish date for the european tour, and it starts the wednesday after EP.

No. Don't do it. Let's all just agree that it's Picture This for the final announcement and let our expectations work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

If someone was completely new to EP how would you describe each area in just a few words, what genre of music are typically played there etc ?

I'd say a good but bigger for full capacity, maybe around 25,000 at a guess?

Possibly, yeah - in which case would they place someone like the Chemical Brothers/Underworld in an 8,000 capacity Freetown Stage?

Thinking maybe Hawtin or Amelie Lens could headline Freetown rather than the Electric Arena.

Or Fabio and Grooverider, with just myself going buck-she-daft :D

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Would there not be an "announcement of the announcement" yet from someone like Today FM?

Yes, there is, they advertised it the last two days i think, it's happening today! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

John.Icy wrote: »
    Seen on FB;

-Oscar Wilde moving slightly (EP tweeted as such earlier). Not sure how slight is slight. Surely Freetown is taking the whole site judging by an 8000 capacity stage. Surrounded by trees then so it'll be beyond that - eco and tour de picnic are the closest green areas followed by Chaplin.

-new campsite called Keith Flint.

-new dance tent in a campsite (post didn't say where)

Just on the FB banter page so who knows but rather specific details.

TBH despite the increase in capacity and the whole Wilde thing...Chaplin and Joplin especially always look near empty on the drone and helicopter shots over the weekend...doesn't seem like there needs to be a drastically new site especially if Wilde is just moving.

Whatever about holding back on the last act announcement to build up excitement. They should really show the new layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Btw anyone see this from Paste about new Irish acts. A fair few playing Stradbally and the others have played before:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2019/08/15-new-irish-artists-2019.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

haitens wrote: »
    Whatever about holding back on the last act announcement to build up excitement. They should really show the new layout.

I reckon they could do it all in the one - unveil a "new look" EP together with the Freetown headline acts; a festival within a festival, or something to that effect.

I mean, it's what, two weeks away? There isn't much time left to faff about with the commercial announcements before the practical stuff is needed!

Advertisement