Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Stillill42 wrote: »
    You can sort of gauge the slippage of the line up from the dizzy heights that some of the homegrown talent has reached on the bill. Even allowing for the mass appeal of your Dermo Kennedys and your Hoziers, David Keenan is on the same billing as Echo and the Bunnymen. Now I really like David but you wouldn't have got that 4 or 5 years ago.

Anyway, look, if it was Irish acts and nothing else, I'd have a great weekend. Every young lad in the country seems to be listening to Joy Division these days so I'll be well looked after. Just noticed the Skatuesques are in Trenchtown this year. Had a beautiful half hour on the Saturday morning (?) last year at a sunny Salty Dog listening to those girls belting out ska classics. That's the sort of thing that you forget when weeping and gnashing teeth over ****ty announcements.

Ive mused about this in some of the other threads, but I wonder was the period 2009-2016 a golden era for Irish festivals attracting international talent. Perhaps, during this time of austerity, Irish people were still willing to splash out on concert tickets in a way that many other countries werent. Thus, bands facing into a global recession could always find a paycheque in Ireland. Thats not to say that the recession didnt affect Ireland, just that we didnt cut back as much on our festival going ways.

Now that disposable income across the world has gotten back to the heady levels of the early 2000s, bands want to be paid more and are more willing to skip Ireland, or do the more profitable stand alone gigs in the point etc

So the brilliant lineups of yesteryear were the exception rather than the norm, and now its back to business as usual.

Or maybe Im just out of touch...........no, its the children who are wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭GentleHumour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Did they mention EP snagged probably the hottest act in the world right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Poorside wrote: »
    Did they mention EP snagged probably the hottest act in the world right now?

Ariana Grande is playing ?

Ariana Grande is playing ?

Ahh, Kodaline?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Yup. Especially since someone somewhere will always say its the worst EP lineip ever. Toutless, adverts et al certainly arent awash with tickets.

I think its valid criticism to say there is a lack of high profile electronic acts, hip hop etc. But thats a very dofferent criticism to saying its a bad lineup.

Also got a chuckle out of this line:
    It was the first time in the 15 years of the event that tickets have sold out months before the line-up was revealed

What a charming way of say that its the first time they sold the tickets in December to avoid the VAT increase, rather than sell them on General Release.

It is, I think, the first year that loyalty sold out within hours of release though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Ive mused about this in some of the other threads, but I wonder was the period 2009-2016 a golden era for Irish festivals attracting international talent. Perhaps, during this time of austerity, Irish people were still willing to splash out on concert tickets in a way that many other countries werent. Thus, bands facing into a global recession could always find a paycheque in Ireland. Thats not to say that the recession didnt affect Ireland, just that we didnt cut back as much on our festival going ways.

Now that disposable income across the world has gotten back to the heady levels of the early 2000s, bands want to be paid more and are more willing to skip Ireland, or do the more profitable stand alone gigs in the point etc

So the brilliant lineups of yesteryear were the exception rather than the norm, and now its back to business as usual.

Or maybe Im just out of touch...........no, its the children who are wrong!

Four of the five main acts for EP have had both US and UK number one albums in the past five years. The exception being The Strokes. Irish festivals are continuing to do very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

In fairness "very special guest" is taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Fair play lads. I love that. We've spent the day whinging about the line up but as soon as the press has a pop, we're all in behind our EP. Cheek of them. It's like someone slagging the family. It's only yourself is allowed do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭dasdog

Every young lad in the country seems to be listening to Joy Division these days so I'll be well looked after.

This was bound to happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

patch wrote: »
    In fairness "very special guest" is taking the piss.

Serious question - why do some festivals announce one single act as a special guest/very special guest? It is Kodaline this year, it happened with the Coronas before, I think Villagers at ATN last year were the same. Is there a reason for it?

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Four of the five main acts for EP have had both US and UK number one albums in the past five years. The exception being The Strokes. Irish festivals are continuing to do very well.

True, the headliners are still impressive, it is EP after all, but there is a lack of heritage acts and mid table bands that would now be playing stand alone gigs but who would have made an appearance at festivals over the last few years

True, the headliners are still impressive, it is EP after all, but there is a lack of heritage acts and mid table bands that would now be playing stand alone gigs but who would have made an appearance at festivals over the last few years

EP is definitely getting the big acts. And the heritage artists (Strokes first album was 18 years ago plus The Bunnymen, Johnny Marr, The Streets debut was 2002, Richard Ashcroft).

What I'm missing, and possibly you are too, is the likes of Tame Impala, Wilco, Leftfield/Chemicals and others that could have been booked. We'll have a great weekend but for me it could have been a bit stronger.

Serious question - why do some festivals announce one single act as a special guest/very special guest? It is Kodaline this year, it happened with the Coronas before, I think Villagers at ATN last year were the same. Is there a reason for it?

I think its to do with contracts and egos. In the case of Villagers, maybe they were prevailed upon to do the gig last minute or for a reduced fee because it was an Irish festival bh Pod. In Kodalines case, it might be that they feel snubbed not to have been asked as an original headliner. In either case, part of the contract requires that they be seen to be given special treatment.

Its even crazier in Hollywood movies. Some actors who do a cameo will want to be listed 2nd or 3rd in the credits, even if they are only on stage for a minute. They also say "introducing" when its someones first feature film. Maybe festivals could do likewise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

dansan7 wrote: »
    If anyone is looking for some festival boots, I bought a good pair of hiking boots in Lidl for 22 quid. Kept meaning to buy them for EP’s past! Bought a new sleeping bag too. Starting to really get into that excited anticipation feeling now!

I saw Aldi have pretty decent tents for anyone looking. Was tempted to upgrade but old Betsy has a few years left in her.

I bought some of those boots also. Bargain They need breaking in though. Will wear them tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spreece

I bought some of those boots also. Bargain They need breaking in though. Will wear them tomorrow.

LIDL boots sound like a surefire way to get blisters

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

Folks, let be honest too much pop music, Billie, Charlie, 1975, Years, Dermot Kennedy, Jess Glynn. And FFS Kodaline, Riptide etc.

No hip hop, no new Americana or break thru indie, no heritage like Gill Scott Heron, Family stone, Mavis Staples etc.

Worst line up yet in 12 years of attendance.

P.

Peterd66 wrote: »
    Folks, let be honest too much pop music, Billie, Charlie, 1975, Years, Dermot Kennedy, Jess Glynn. And FFS Kodaline, Riptide etc.

No hip hop, no new Americana or break thru indie, no heritage like Gill Scott Heron, Family stone, Mavis Staples etc.

Worst line up yet in 12 years of attendance.

P.

Beg to differ. There are acts I'm definitely missing there but plenty for me to see - Strokes, Streets, Bunnymen, Marr, Courtney B, Billie E, Ashcroft, Parquet Courts, Christine & Queens, Touts, Let's Eat Grandma, etc, etc.

And in terms of the heritage acts you mentioned - Mavis only did 8 songs, great though they were. She waffled through the rest of her time doing the preacher thing. Gil S-H was awful, first track was a 25 minute meander and he seemed unsure of what he was doing. Family Stone without Sly was kinda pointless.

Michael Kiwanuka will surpass all of those performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The Walker by Christine & the Queens is a special little song to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Peterd66 wrote: »
    no heritage like Gill Scott Heron

He is dead you know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Paddy2012

d_levins wrote: »
    Dusky, Four tet, Kolsch, Fjakk.
    All very good, but depends what sort of dance you like.

When was Dusky announced? I really liked their recent ep.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

Line up is very poor imo. Not enough big acts. Plenty to see but headliners are a let down. Don't regret skipping it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Reded

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Beg to differ. There are acts I'm definitely missing there but plenty for me to see - Strokes, Streets, Bunnymen, Marr, Courtney B, Billie E, Ashcroft, Parquet Courts, Christine & Queens, Touts, Let's Eat Grandma, etc, etc.

And in terms of the heritage acts you mentioned - Mavis only did 8 songs, great though they were. She waffled through the rest of her time doing the preacher thing. Gil S-H was awful, first track was a 25 minute meander and he seemed unsure of what he was doing. Family Stone without Sly was kinda pointless.

Michael Kiwanuka will surpass all of those performances.

Couldn’t agree more..! I say it every year for me EP is not all about the line up- yes some main stream stuff there but so what?! Lots of people enjoy that and let them! There’s lots of good stuff happening and lots I want to discover! I will have a great time even if I’m not entirely happy about the direction EP is taking. It’s all about managing expectations - for a couple hundred euro I get a 4 night festival with entertainment at every turn and I get to hang out guilt free with my friends some of whom will be at the pop acts whilst I will be elsewhere then we will all get together and eat / drink / have a laugh! / share dioralyte and other medicinal cures!! I.e having fun!! The only thing that will annoy the hell out of me is the ignorance of people who will throw their crap all over the place and leave the site looking like a war zone and who completely disrespect the volunteers who have to clean up after them!! So my message is Relax! Have fun! Leave no trace! and don’t be a knob! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Navan Man01

Well said Reded

• Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭endainoz

Fair play lads. I love that. We've spent the day whinging about the line up but as soon as the press has a pop, we're all in behind our EP. Cheek of them. It's like someone slagging the family. It's only yourself is allowed do that.

Damn right! It amazes me a person is employed to write that rubbish, oh look they used revellers again, sums it up really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭endainoz

declanleo wrote: »
    Line up is very poor imo. Not enough big acts. Plenty to see but headliners are a let down. Don't regret skipping it this year.

And as was said in a previous post, your comment belongs on the Facebook page for people to laugh at.

So, EA headliners ?
    I'm thinking CATQ, Gerry Cinnamon and Years and Years. Not sure EP will be made up of Gerry cinnamon's fanbase but he will get a big crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I'd guess James Blake, Roisin Murphy and Four Tet for EA. CATQ, Years & Years and Gerry Cinnamon all on the main stage I reckon.

They might put Charli XCX on EA maybe? And I'd expect Jarvis Cocker, Richard Ashcroft, The Streets and Johnny Marr all to get decent slots in the EA too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah I would be more inclined to go with BlackBullNova but not sure about Four Tet. Could he headline the Rankins Wood instead maybe? I definitely think Gerry Cinnamon will have a big slot on the main stage and can see Years & Years on the main stage too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

endainoz wrote: »
    And as was said in a previous post, your comment belongs on the Facebook page for people to laugh at.

The headlinder are bargin basement in fairness to him. There's not one true headliner for any of the nights. Well not what we were expecting anyway for something called the Electric picnic. More like the middle of the road lighters in the air picnic.

Advertisement