Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭fish_fingers

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Charlie wrote: »

People have much more disposable income in their pockets then they had 2/3/4 years ago, and EP has solidified itself as Ireland’s premier summer event.

Demand is only going one way folks.

Exactly - even the premium harvest moon camping is almost sold out.
    What are you referring to when you say premium harvest moon? What info do you have? I'm getting worried...we always go with Silk Road who are in that area but my piggybank, he say no, no, no! Have to wait a month I'd say before I'd even dream of getting accommodation (whilst also telling my wife we're a bit tight on the money at the moment :ermm: )

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

alastair wrote:
    I assume there WILL be more released with the next block of tickets though? Anyone know for sure?

There hasn't been in previous years. But loads come up for sale at face value in 2nd half of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

James Murphy and crew due a return? Not like him to be away for 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    James Murphy and crew due a return? Not like him to be away for 3 years.

Think LCD Soundsystem have finished the American Dream tour now so maybe he will come back with his DJ/Despacio project?

Or at least some new LCD music given the Malahide and Olympia shows on the back of it.

Tbh, as an LCD Soundsystem fan, I'd like him to take a year or two off really. Come back with a really great album in 2020 instead!

Think LCD Soundsystem have finished the American Dream tour now so maybe he will come back with his DJ/Despacio project?

Or at least some new LCD music given the Malahide and Olympia shows on the back of it.

Tbh, as an LCD Soundsystem fan, I'd like him to take a year or two off really. Come back with a really great album in 2020 instead!

Not seen them since 2016 so I'd greedily like them back in Stradbally. But EP 2020 and a new album would be equally welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

The loyalty rate has been applied to your order and the difference has been refunded to your card. This can take 3-5 working days to appear in your card.

Awesome, keep emailing them until you get your refund !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Would love to see Despacio back again
    My main wishes so far for next year are

Despacio
    Tama Impala
    Erasure
    Roybn
    Orbital
    Lauer
    Caribou
    James Vincent Mcmorrow
    Chic ( i know i know ive seen them 539 times at this rate)

Lazy bookings for some of them ye may say but the heart wants what the heart wants :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Rfrip wrote: »
    Would love to see Despacio back again
    My main wishes so far for next year are

Despacio
    Tama Impala
    Erasure
    Roybn
    Orbital
    Lauer
    Caribou
    James Vincent Mcmorrow
    Chic ( i know i know ive seen them 539 times at this rate)

Lazy bookings for some of them ye may say but the heart wants what the heart wants :)

Yes to all of the above! Was at a festival in London this summer and Despacio was at it but it was actually too hot to go into the tent.. Went in for about 5 mins and it was like being in a sauna so didn't get the full Despacio experience of EP 2015!!

If I was to make a complete fantasy wishlist some of the names on it would be any of the following:
    Arcade Fire
    The War on Drugs
    Caribou
    Slowdive
    M83
    Todd Terje
    Flight Facilities
    Jamiroquai
    Future Islands
    Chromatics
    Gerd Janson
    Rhye

• Registered Users Posts: 19,719 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Ned's Atomic Dustbin (Oh to hear the opening chords of Kill Your Television) :D
    Anything from that era - James, House of Love, Sundays - I mean, this is a wish list, right? Ride were sublime.
    90's/2010's - Embrace, Verve etc.
    More likely to occur and that I wouldn't mind.
    Jamiroquai
    Depeche Mode
    Pearl Jam
    With Radiohead and Daft Punk already confirmed that is :pac:
    I liked the fact that I got to hear The Minutes, Fontaines SC and Sleaford Mods for the first time thanks to the EP so I'm sure there will be lower tier bands that will tickle my proverbial

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Yes to all of the above! Was at a festival in London this summer and Despacio was at it but it was actually too hot to go into the tent.. Went in for about 5 mins and it was like being in a sauna so didn't get the full Despacio experience of EP 2015!!

If I was to make a complete fantasy wishlist some of the names on it would be any of the following:
    Arcade Fire
    The War on Drugs
    Caribou
    Slowdive
    M83
    Todd Terje
    Flight Facilities
    Jamiroquai
    Future Islands
    Chromatics
    Gerd Janson
    Rhye

A good list for sure...

On my bucket list for many years now is Bran Van 3000. That's all I want at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

everlast75 wrote: »
    Ned's Atomic Dustbin (Oh to hear the opening chords of Kill Your Television) :D
    Anything from that era - James, House of Love, Sundays - I mean, this is a wish list, right? Ride were sublime.
    90's/2010's - Embrace, Verve etc.
    More likely to occur and that I wouldn't mind.
    Jamiroquai
    Depeche Mode
    Pearl Jam
    With R-Word and Daft Punk already confirmed that is :pac:
    I liked the fact that I got to hear The Minutes, Fontaines SC and Sleaford Mods for the first time thanks to the EP so I'm sure there will be lower tier bands that will tickle my proverbial

I suspect our album collections are very similar.

You'll only ever see the Verve live again if the gobby one runs out of money.
    Saw them in the point in 97/98 (ish?), remember being distinctly underwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Bruce2008 wrote: »
    Sure they can let a few lads loose on them with a few aerosol cans and we could have a new O'Banksy in our midst

We did have Banksy grace us with his presence late Saturday night ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Arcade Fire
    The War on Drugs
    Caribou
    Slowdive
    M83
    Todd Terje
    Flight Facilities
    Jamiroquai
    Future Islands
    Chromatics
    Gerd Janson
    Rhye

Yes to all i know of the above of what i do know and im about to google what i dont know!!!
    Todd Terje in 2016 is up there as one of my fave EP gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

Fatfrog wrote: »
    I disagree if you have a quick scan on social media you'll see videos of endless queues outside ticket master outlets, remember this is a pre sale not even the full event!

As said earlier, the loyalty & early bird was something few actually knew about, it allowed us on here to take a punt, get cheap tickets at our leisure. I'd say run on tickets was pretty low..2+ years ago. I remember picking them up mid October. But the secret is out so to speak, in the past two years the media channels have really focussed on the release of tickets, everyone knows about it!!

I'd suggest that even if they doubled the early bird capacity they would still have sold out. So I think its wrong to say they've reduced.

Quick scan of social media brought up the same queue in Portlaoise a number of times. Quick scan of my emails shows my first Loyalty offer in 2014 following my second consecutive year. Either reward loyalty, and the early-bird scheme, or don't pay it lip-service. Without said lip service I would think the pricing should be closer the €200 mark than €250 especially as they are not breaking the bank every year as regards line-up (as enjoyable as the w/end is), rather piggy-banking EP's success to allow for other under-performing festivals in their stable, as is my understanding.

Tago Mago wrote: »
    Quick scan of social media brought up the same queue in Portlaoise a number of times. Quick scan of my emails shows my first Loyalty offer in 2014 following my second consecutive year. Either reward loyalty, and the early-bird scheme, or don't pay it lip-service. Without said lip service I would think the pricing should be closer the €200 mark than €250 especially as they are not breaking the bank every year as regards line-up (as enjoyable as the w/end is), rather piggy-banking EP's success to allow for other under-performing festivals in their stable, as is my understanding.

They're spending close to €1 million on the artwork in the festival (source Irish Times pre-fest). The Salty Dog, Mindfield, Trailer Park, Trenchtown and other areas won't come cheap. There are 35 stages to fill, many with costly acts. Kendrick Lamar, Dua Lipa, NERD, The Prodigy and many other were far from inexpensive.

FR are definitely shelling out the cash on artists and entertainment and nobody is getting done.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Bruce2008

We did have Banksy grace us with his presence late Saturday night ;)

Did I miss something? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Bruce2008 wrote:
    Did I miss something? Lol

Rumour has it that Banksy is one of the guys from Massive Attack.

Oh, I'd forgotten The 1975. They'll be back. And in a big slot.

Update on predicted dodgy acts - Kodaline, The Academic, The 1975, Jenny Greene.
    Any more to add so we can get the pain over and done with now rather than in March?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

How about 10k at Tier 1 for €165, 10k at Tier 2 for €185, 10k at Tier 3 for €205 and the remainder at €245? .

So more than half at discount?? I'd say there's a better chance of there being no discounts at all in future eps.

Snarky Snark Snark

Any more to add so we can get the pain over and done with now rather than in March?

Ryan Turgidy DJ Set, the z to zzzzzzz of god awful Sinatra covers by Irish Country singers followed Ray Darcy doing his back to the 80s slow set erection selection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gauralordon

The 1975 would be a welcome addition. Saw them at EP 2016, loads of energy and catchy tunes. Started listening to them a good bit straight after and was raging I didn’t pay more attention when I was at them (wasn’t that big a fan). At EP they’d be good cos the crowd wouldn’t be mainly 16 year old emo kids which is kinda their demographic.

Been listening to an Australian band called DMA’S recently after a few mates were at them in Button Factory. Easy indie listening. If they’d still be touring at the time of EP I’d love to see them in OV or Salty Dog, a smaller stage would suit so you could really listen to the lead singer’s amazing rich voice. They dress like out and out chavs. But never judge a book by its check shirt and snapback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Ryan Turgidy DJ Set, the z to zzzzzzz of god awful Sinatra covers by Irish Country singers followed Ray Darcy doing his back to the 80s slow set erection selection

A hellish vista, Scruff. Nathan Carter front and centre main stage Saturday night, Wagon Wheel a triumph, backed by the Dublin Gospel Choir, the RTE symphony orchestra and 3D hologram of Big Tom.

The only 14 people not there, all coincidentally middle-aged contributors to this thread, catch an impromptu appearance by Depeche Mode on the Trailer Park stage and all is forgiven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

When your criteria for a "dodgy" act is anything that might be popular among the under-30s crowd, you're setting yourself up for a fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gauralordon

Stillill42 wrote: »
    A hellish vista, Scruff. Nathan Carter front and centre main stage Saturday night, Wagon Wheel a triumph, backed by the Dublin Gospel Choir, the RTE symphony orchestra and 3D hologram of Big Tom.

The only 14 people not there, all coincidentally middle-aged contributors to this thread, catch an impromptu appearance by Depeche Mode on the Trailer Park stage and all is forgiven.

What’s wrong with Dublin gospel choir :( gave us a much needed boost on Sunday afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

What’s wrong with Dublin gospel choir :( gave us a much needed boost on Sunday afternoon

Nothing at all, I was just trying to give Nathan the backing he deserves.

Snarky Snark Snark

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Nothing at all, I was just trying to give Nathan the backing he deserves. ��

The only backing he'll need will be the 100mm mdf for the crucifix in my re-imagining of the Passion of the Christ to be sound tracked by pontius pilate and the nail drivers

They're spending close to €1 million on the artwork in the festival (source Irish Times pre-fest). The Salty Dog, Mindfield, Trailer Park, Trenchtown and other areas won't come cheap. There are 35 stages to fill, many with costly acts. Kendrick Lamar, Dua Lipa, NERD, The Prodigy and many other were far from inexpensive.

FR are definitely shelling out the cash on artists and entertainment and nobody is getting done.

€1M on art-work that hasn't changed greatly in years? Do they create new models of the same art installations every year? (genuinely interested to hear more detail on this if could be provided)

Kendrick no doubt top dollar as he's arguably the biggest star on the globe right now; Dua Lipa is a break-through star, NERD are a side-project, the Prodigy are well past their earning prime.

EP line-up's are hardly earth-shattering even compared to it's Irish peers; didn't think this was even up for debate, certainly widely acknowledged there was scope for improvement.

52000 (minus volunteers etc?) * €200 = €10,400,000

A considerable war-chest still while also allowing for ample profit?

Snarky Snark Snark

Wouldn't be too sure that it's that considerable.
    1. knock vat off that value for a start
    2. site build, take down/waste costs are likely eyewatering
    3. ditto for public liability insurance
    4. staffing costs for the weekend (plus costs for Gardai etc...)
    5. Who owns the stage/tents? Where are they stored/maintained/insured
    6. Rental on a few hundred sh1tters and disposal of contents (and likely additional insurance to go with the risks in handling that).

Yes, they likely make a decent wad from the tickets, food companies/beer etc, but when you start adding up all the other bits, it's probably no where near what people think.

Wouldn't be too sure that it's that considerable.
    1. knock vat off that value for a start
    2. site build, take down/waste costs are likely eyewatering
    3. ditto for public liability insurance
    4. staffing costs for the weekend (plus costs for Gardai etc...)
    5. Who owns the stage/tents? Where are they stored/maintained/insured
    6. Rental on a few hundred sh1tters and disposal of contents (and likely additional insurance to go with the risks in handling that).

Yes, they likely make a decent wad from the tickets, food companies/beer etc, but when you start adding up all the other bits, it's probably no where near what people think.

Excuse my very simplistic take!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I love EP and will continue to go until I stop enjoying it but the lineup is definitely second tier when you look at similarly priced (and cheaper) festivals in the UK.

Hell, even look at EP/Oxegen lineups prior to about 5 years ago, they were head and shoulders above what we'd expect now.

Oxegen: 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | [URL="hhttps://lastfm-img2.akamaized.net/i/u/ar0/acb13507dc5e4a5ecafbf2871a665caf"]2007[/URL] | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011
    Electric Picnic: 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018

Oxegen '04 had some of this year's headliners on secondary stages, when they were arguably bigger acts than now. Bleedin' MUSE were playing the equivalent of the Electric Arena and they were much bigger then. Ditto Chemical Bros who headlined EP a few years ago but were on a minor stage here. There's a very obvious slide down from what was a very solid string of lineups for the same price. If EP next year had the main stage lineup from a single day of Oxegen 2010 spread across the full weekend we'd all think it was a big deal now. I'd argue that EP has had a few dips and peaks over the years rather than a steady decline but we're still miles away from the heydey of Irish festivals. What happened?

Advertisement