Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I love EP and will continue to go until I stop enjoying it but the lineup is definitely second tier when you look at similarly priced (and cheaper) festivals in the UK.

Hell, even look at EP/Oxegen lineups prior to about 5 years ago, they were head and shoulders above what we'd expect now.

Oxegen: 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | [URL="hhttps://lastfm-img2.akamaized.net/i/u/ar0/acb13507dc5e4a5ecafbf2871a665caf"]2007[/URL] | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011
    Electric Picnic: 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018

Oxegen '04 had some of this year's headliners on secondary stages, when they were arguably bigger acts than now. Bleedin' MUSE were playing the equivalent of the Electric Arena and they were much bigger then. Ditto Chemical Bros who headlined EP a few years ago but were on a minor stage here. There's a very obvious slide down from what was a very solid string of lineups for the same price. If EP next year had the main stage lineup from a single day of Oxegen 2010 spread across the full weekend we'd all think it was a big deal now. I'd argue that EP has had a few dips and peaks over the years rather than a steady decline but we're still miles away from the heydey of Irish festivals. What happened?

Wow some of them lineups were amazing looking back on them. Oxegen was a different beast though, it had capacity for something like 80,000 people (?) and had virtually nothing else to it other than the music, no arts or chill out areas, no small stages like the salty dog or trailer park etc. Maybe some people would prefer this but personally I wouldn't. It's the same when you look at some festivals in Europe like Primavera or Mad Cool, unbelievable lineups but outside of the music not a hell of a lot to do.

With the older EP lineups, I often think looking back wow the lineups were so good back then, but some of the acts weren't as big at the time as they are now (Florence ATM, The National, Arcade Fire etc). There is also the fact that we probably look more favourably on these lineups because it is what we like, doesn't necessarily mean they are bigger lineups though. Kendrick Lamar is arguably the biggest headliner they have ever had IMO, other acts like Dua Lipa, Sigrid, Picture This are all massive at the moment even though they wouldn't be my cup of tea.

Then you have to factor in the competition, I was only a teenager for most of the Oxegens and early EPs but was there much competition around? Now we have Longitude, Body & Soul, All Together Now, Forbidden Fruit all competing for the same acts and as a result the quality is probably down across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I think it's a fair question at this point to ask would people trade Body and Soul, Other Voices, Trailer Park, Mindfield and all the other bits and pieces for a site with 6 Electric Arenas and a more stellar line-up? Absolutely not for me but I'm pushing on.
    Besides, it's not as black and white as that. Few can argue that the line-up this year doesn't compare we'll to 7,8 years ago. It's all about the balance between what you pay and what you get. For 165, they're still giving me a good deal but like the rest of ye, it's an on going calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I think a dream festival would be EP, with a MUCH larger site (not quite glastonbury but think that direction) which allowed it to incorporate almost all of the current body and soul FESTIVAL layout as it's B&S area. Your quirky, old school EP and current B&S acts would play the various stages there. (I'm leaving ATN out of this as I wasn't there this year). Exploring the installations is much nicer in the B&S woods than the B&S area at EP.

Towards the other end of the spectrum you have main stage with slightly more mainstream acts (your foo fighters, coldplays, Florence and Kendricks), and a secondary main stage for big name headliners of a slightly more alternative nature (LCD, Arcade Fire, that kind of thing).

You'd then have a tent/arena for dance/techno/house type acts, getting Prodigy/Chemical Bros type of stuff. This whole mix of totally different acts on one stage doesn't really work IMO.

Just spitballing but I'd be happy with that crawling back into my Eco site tent of an evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Stillill42 wrote: »
    I think it's a fair question at this point to ask would people trade Body and Soul, Other Voices, Trailer Park, Mindfield and all the other bits and pieces for a site with 6 Electric Arenas and a more stellar line-up?

No, then it's not electric picnic, then it's generic piss up festival the same as every other festival

Snarky Snark Snark

I think a dream festival would be EP, with a MUCH larger site (not quite glastonbury but think that direction) ..

I've not been but from what i've read and heard about it, that exactly is Glastonbury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I think a dream festival would be EP, with a MUCH larger site (not quite glastonbury but think that direction)

No thanks ... The one thing that turns me off EP currently is that there is so much walking over a weekend. The walk from campervans to main arena is already a killer, especially coming home at night. A MUCH bigger site would be a major turn off for me.

Probably I am just too old though. I stopped going to glasto 15 years ago. I really could not take that size anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

paulieeye wrote: »
    So more than half at discount?? I'd say there's a better chance of there being no discounts at all in future eps.

For the 2016 festival the Irish Independent was reporting in October 2015 that half the tickets were gone before the main announcement. Likely even more so for 2017 & 2018. All those were at discount so it has been done and can continue to be done. Whether FR want to is another matter.

When your criteria for a "dodgy" act is anything that might be popular among the under-30s crowd, you're setting yourself up for a fall.

Not so. Dua Lipa, Hozier, Kendrick Lamar all popular with the under 30s and not dodgy.
    It's not a matter of what music popular with the under-30s, more a matter of what sh*te is popular with under-30s.

They, after all, are allowed the same lapses in taste as us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    For the 2016 festival the Irish Independent was reporting in October 2015 that half the tickets were gone before the main announcement. Likely even more so for 2017 & 2018. All those were at discount so it has been done and can continue to be done. Whether FR want to is another matter.

I remember on the 2016 (maybe 2017) thread, I predicted that the loyalty would be gone by now. Glad to be wrong.

The loyalty came in during the recession years when the future of EP was looking doubtful. Amazing how it has turned itself around, largely partly due to the demise of Oxegen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I remember on the 2016 (maybe 2017) thread, I predicted that the loyalty would be gone by now. Glad to be wrong.

The loyalty came in during the recession years when the future of EP was looking doubtful. Amazing how it has turned itself around, largely partly due to the demise of Oxegen.

I agree. I reckon it would make no difference whatsoever if they did away with loyalty codes - especially after all the grief they are getting this year!

i got them for 165 again this year and although I come home on Sunday due to work, it's great value

• Advertisement

Tago Mago wrote: »
    1M on art-work that hasn't changed greatly in years? Do they create new models of the same art installations every year? (genuinely interested to hear more detail on this if could be provided)

Kendrick no doubt top dollar as he's arguably the biggest star on the globe right now; Dua Lipa is a break-through star, NERD are a side-project, the Prodigy are well past their earning prime.

EP line-up's are hardly earth-shattering even compared to it's Irish peers; didn't think this was even up for debate, certainly widely acknowledged there was scope for improvement.

52000 (minus volunteers etc?) * €200 = €10,400,000

A considerable war-chest still while also allowing for ample profit?

New art every year. Didn't see all but the moon in the woods and the sculptures of the kids weren't there before. New stuff in Body & Soul, the Trailer Park, Hazel Wood and along the walking route in from Stradbally. The art isn't left on site and has to be put up every year (costs for storage I assume).And La Fura dels Baus were not cheap to bring over.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/art-and-design/busting-out-art-at-electric-picnic-2018-1.3595996

In terms of the line-up it's always up for debate. and has been here for the past six months. You can't apply a subjective opinion and pass it off as agreed fact. For me, and seemingly most here it was a mixture of good and bad. Not a classic year but with 35 stages you'll always find enough to enjoy.

Snarky Snark Snark

Initially I thought the line up was a bit meh but had an absolute blast and saw more sets than i'd done in previous years, think people get blinded by the large European festivals which have stonking line ups and actually bugger all else going on (or line ups from a decade ago with e.g. Arcade fire when they were only just starting to gain in mass popularity)

I think it's a fair question at this point to ask would people trade Body and Soul, Other Voices, Trailer Park, Mindfield and all the other bits and pieces for a site with 6 Electric Arenas and a more stellar line-up? Absolutely not for me but I'm pushing on.
    Besides, it's not as black and white as that. Few can argue that the line-up this year doesn't compare we'll to 7,8 years ago. It's all about the balance between what you pay and what you get. For 165, they're still giving me a good deal but like the rest of ye, it's an on going calculation.

For me, never. Without the corporate stuff EP would be very very similar to Glastonbury and I'm happy with that. A bigger question now is whether FR need all the corporate stuff. Heneken & Bacardi are important for their budget and probably helped save the festival from going under 8/9 years ago. But could they lose Logic, Just Eat and some others without too much damage to their profits? I think so and I'd even be happy to pay €10 extra on the ticket price to see the end of them.

Initially I thought the line up was a bit meh but had an absolute blast and saw more sets than i'd done in previous years, think people get blinded by the large European festivals which have stonking line ups and actually bugger all else going on (or line ups from a decade ago with e.g. Arcade fire when they were only just starting to gain in mass popularity)

Not only nothing to do apart from the music but it's also hard to find areas to chill out in as there tends to be noise bleed everywhere. Bar Primavera Sound & Rock Werchter most continental line-ups are very top heavy with pretty poor acts in the afternoons and on smaller stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I think a dream festival would be EP, with a MUCH larger site (not quite glastonbury but think that direction)
    I've not been but from what i've read and heard about it, that exactly is Glastonbury.
    it really isn't. EP is as close to Oxegen as it is to Glastonbury.

it really isn't. EP is as close to Oxegen as it is to Glastonbury.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭ab4248

Wouldnt write about it! Got my 3+ code late but got it, all going well I thought. Made my purchase,1 ticket, wont be greedy. Delighted. No money gone out of my account, panic. Now no record with ticketmaster. WTF! No doubt something I did myself but fairly hopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Not only nothing to due apart from the music but it's also hard to find areas to chill out in as there tends to be noise bleed everywhere. And bar Primavera Sound & Rock Werchter most continental line-ups are very top heavy with pretty poor acts below in the afternoons and on smaller stages.

True I noticed that at RockNess festival in 2010, similar enough lineups to EP but no chill out areas whatsoever unless you went up to the campsite.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

True I noticed that at RockNess festival in 2010, similar enough lineups to EP but no chill out areas whatsoever unless you went up to the campsite.

Anyone remember the cinema tent in the early years? Was roughly where the Little Big Tent is now. What a great place to chill, loads of cushions and a few sofas/armchairs. They probably shut it as it only seemed to function as somewhere for dozens of people to take an afternoon nap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

No thanks ... The one thing that turns me off EP currently is that there is so much walking over a weekend. The walk from campervans to main arena is already a killer, especially coming home at night. A MUCH bigger site would be a major turn off for me.

Probably I am just too old though. I stopped going to glasto 15 years ago. I really could not take that size anymore.

All fair. 15 years ago I wasn't old enough to get into any of these festivals. I just want them to stick Body & Soul onto the side of EP so appropriate acts go there and clear the mainstage for more top rung headliners. I would spend most of my time in B&S and bop over to Main stage to see Radiohead etc.

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

We don’t use that word here.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gauralordon

Having been to my first festival on the continent this year it’s hard to think of what else to put into EP or what to replace Logic etc with. At rock Werchter there were 3 or 4 stages including the main stage and a few redundant areas like these, but nothing even remotely close to Salty Dog, Trenchtown, Other Voices or Body and Soul. Have to put up with the good and the offensively bad at most festivals I guess.

Having been to my first festival on the continent this year it’s hard to think of what else to put into EP or what to replace Logic etc with. At rock Werchter there were 3 or 4 stages including the main stage and a few redundant areas like these, but nothing even remotely close to Salty Dog, Trenchtown, Other Voices or Body and Soul. Have to put up with the good and the offensively bad at most festivals I guess.

Take out Logic and put in the Despacio tent. Every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Take out Logic and put in the Despacio tent. Every year.

That would be class

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

As much as I hate to say it, the Bacardi area is an integral part of the EP, I'm sure they do pretty well, massive advertising and whatever they get from sales, so I wouldn't like to see it go. I would guess its commercially viable?

But some the other stalls/stands E-lights logic..... maybe I dislike so much I've automatically blocked them out but WTF is Logic?? Been there still don't know!! Commercially these guys can't honestly sit around the board room table and say 'We've spent 150k on the EP plot... 150k on the rig/stand, buying, transporting and erecting, another couple of grand staffing it......... what have we got in return?? F$$K all"

• Subscribers Posts: 41,619 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Fatfrog wrote: »
    As much as I hate to say it, the Bacardi area is an integral part of the EP, I'm sure they do pretty well, massive advertising and whatever they get from sales, so I wouldn't like to see it go. I would guess its commercially viable?

But some the other stalls/stands E-lights logic..... maybe I dislike so much I've automatically blocked them out but WTF is Logic?? Been there still don't know!! Commercially these guys can't honestly sit around the board room table and say 'We've spent 150k on the EP plot... 150k on the rig/stand, buying, transporting and erecting, another couple of grand staffing it......... what have we got in return?? F$$K all"

maybe they have exclusive rights to stock the vape stands?

still cant see them making anything like that money though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Not for me. While I enjoy decent headliners and some of the excellent lower tier acts on the main stage I also have had some of the best gigs in the smaller areas and they have a different vibe so can mix it up during the weekend. For me losingvthis side of EP would stop me going quicker than a less than stellar line up (still saw over 30 bands this year and discovered some bands I hadn't come across before). And I met still ill and busher

Snarky Snark Snark

Mucker46 wrote: »
    ..still saw over 30 bands this year and discovered some bands I hadn't come across before). And I met still ill and busher

jesus, when did you sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Dany Hitch

There's always room for improvement in my humble opinion otherwise you're settling.

A few ideas:

A dedicated dance music tent would be convenient
    More heavy metal bands would be welcome
    Fewer corporate music stages
    Later finishing times for the music (I was in Sziget years ago and the dance tent closed at 06.00)

But there are aspects of EP that they have spot on and they are the only reason why my wife and some of my non-fanatical about music friends keep returning. The wooded areas like Salty Dog, OV, RITW with the obligitary bag of cans are brilliant for meeting up, chilling out or catching a band/DJ or seven. The main arena areas like B&S and Trailer Park are their favourite haunts where I usually find them after catching an act and hang out for a bit. I definitely felt the magic was back in Trailer Park this year.

I guess it's the diversity that EP brings that has punters like me and our gang returning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Dany Hitch wrote: »
    There's always room for improvement in my humble opinion otherwise you're settling.

A few ideas:

A dedicated dance music tent would be convenient
    More heavy metal bands would be welcome
    Fewer corporate music stages
    Later finishing times for the music (I was in Sziget years ago and the dance tent closed at 06.00)

But there are aspects of EP that they have spot on and they are the only reason why my wife and some of my non-fanatical about music friends keep returning. The wooded areas like Salty Dog, OV, RITW with the obligitary bag of cans are brilliant for meeting up, chilling out or catching a band/DJ or seven. The main arena areas like B&S and Trailer Park are their favourite haunts where I usually find them after catching an act and hang out for a bit. I definitely felt the magic was back in Trailer Park this year.

I guess it's the diversity that EP brings that has punters like me and our gang returning.

There used to be in early EPs up to about 2008, Bodytonic used to run a dance tent with decent headliners, Little Big Tent used to be more dance focused but seems to have a mix of stuff these days.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement