Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Did I mention that I think this will be my last EP?

In all seriousness though, this kind of change just reeks of squeezing more money out of us. The whole forest area has always been a kind of separate area with its own feel. Once you move the arena out to take this on, the whole vibe of the place is changed.

combined with a pretty meh lineup (for my taste at least), it really has lost its shine a little more this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

sydthebeat wrote: »
    theres not an incredible amount of whinging on this thread... its actually quite reserved compared to previous threads.

and if you think the difference is between drinking a pint than a can, then you really havent a clue about whats being discussed.

I get it. Unnecessary money grab, more corporate influence, a move away from the "free" festival feeling...

Maybe I'm in the minority but it just wouldn't have an enormously negative effect on my excitement tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,020 ✭✭✭endainoz

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I'd very much prefer if it stayed as it was. I just think the reaction has been stronger than warranted. It's not ideal but not a massive deal (for me anyway).

Yeah same for me, I have a look around salty dog a couple of times over the weekend but this isn't a deal breaker for me to be honest, and it stops that major congestion that can happen at the salty dog main arena entrance during busier times.

Agreed that trenchtown might be on the way out too, never seen it that full and in my experience I found it a bit rough around it at night so I'm not overly bothered about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭LowOdour

So, was there any acts announced today?
    We haven't FreeTown, Spike Island or Minefield yet?
    I'm going to guess that we won't be waking up Monday morning to the first stage times without a full lineup announced?

Personally, the past week has been quite deflating. Put my first set of cans in the fridge this morning, usually that gets build up started :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

LowOdour wrote: »
    So, was there any acts announced today?
    We haven't FreeTown, Spike Island or Minefield yet?
    I'm going to guess that we won't be waking up Monday morning to the first stage times without a full lineup announced?

Personally, the past week has been quite deflating. Put my first set of cans in the fridge this morning, usually that gets build up started :-(

Freetown announced today but it was only acts that have already been announced for the festival. Nothing yet for Minefield or Spike Island as far as I can see. I presume any small stages that haven't been announced yet will just be announced when the times come out.

What do we normally get Monday, Main Stage, Body & Soul and Rankins Wood?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Finally got out of work stuff that orevented me keeping up to date. As a non camper the BYOB issue is not that big a deal for me but putting SD and OV (will always be OV to me) in main arena risks losing the vibe from them which was quite different to the main arena. I know it makes it easier with no security checks but i would gladly have them back.
    The whole freetown thing is a joke (not my kind of music so cant comment on that) in the way it has been handled. Bigged up only to be acts already announced with only a week to go.
    ATNs decision to announce 2020 this week looking like a good decision.

I will still have a great weekend as the music line up is still fantastic and for me personally better than anything else on offer in Ireland. However it will be interesting to see what effect the changes will bring (may surprise us)

PS whats the story with the late night boundary, will there be fences where there were none before.

PPS this time next week😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Shame about the changes to the free flow and the dropping of the Heineken Cold Rooms, both obviously seem to be intended to get more business through the bars.

Hard to see how they could have introduced Freetown without taking in the whole Salty Dog area. It was unlikely they would add a large area like that and have it outside the main arena.

I'll probably just bring some very cold cans now to have while setting up on the Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Mucker46 wrote: »
    Finally got out of work stuff that orevented me keeping up to date. As a non camper the BYOB issue is not that big a deal for me but putting SD and OV (will always be OV to me) in main arena risks losing the vibe from them which was quite different to the main arena. I know it makes it easier with no security checks but i would gladly have them back.
    The whole freetown thing is a joke (not my kind of music so cant comment on that) in the way it has been handled. Bigged up only to be acts already announced with only a week to go.
    ATNs decision to announce 2020 this week looking like a good decision.

I will still have a great weekend as the music line up is still fantastic and for me personally better than anything else on offer in Ireland. However it will be interesting to see what effect the changes will bring (may surprise us)

PS whats the story with the late night boundary, will there be fences where there were none before.

PPS this time next week����

The late night boundary has always been there. It isn't new. They have always put a fence across there and you can only exit and not re-enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 melwurdo

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Incredible amount of whinging in this thread. If having to drink a pint at a gig instead of a can ruins your excitement you're doing it wrong.

More of a money thing for many people. Festivals can be as cheap or expensive as you want/need them to be (I spent €45 at Body & Soul this year because of their free flow policy) - now it's just 'get pissed in the campsite or spend a fortune on pints'

Obviously no one HAS to get pissed but lots of people like to

I know I'll have a ball either way, just ****ey of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

Well that's that then Salty Dog is no longer free flow. I for one will miss starting with cans there or Other Voices, but as long as the bars in Freetown/Salty Dog are big enough that they dont get swamped I'll get over it. It'll still be a great spot or after hours cans and the not having to queue between places might be a decent trade off. As people have said earlier the biggest loss will be felt in Trenchtown, don't think they have a bar there on the map?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

I'm already dreading the queues for the bars! (I'm still excited though)

Not the greatest line up for me but I'll still potter around and soak up the magic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

haitens wrote: »
    Well that's that then Salty Dog is no longer free flow. I for one will miss starting with cans there or Other Voices, but as long as the bars in Freetown/Salty Dog are big enough that they dont get swamped I'll get over it. It'll still be a great spot or after hours cans and the not having to queue between places might be a decent trade off. As people have said earlier the biggest loss will be felt in Trenchtown, don't think they have a bar there on the map?

Not a huge fan of what Heineken offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭rubick

Boardsies react to the EP Freeflow Restrictions.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/drzpM4sVH1Ek82hk9

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

melwurdo wrote: »
    More of a money thing for many people. Festivals can be as cheap or expensive as you want/need them to be (I spent €45 at Body & Soul this year because of their free flow policy) - now it's just 'get pissed in the campsite or spend a fortune on pints'

Obviously no one HAS to get pissed but lots of people like to

I know I'll have a ball either way, just ****ey of them.

for saving money, get a few of these, fill up with spirits before going down to EP (I fill 3, one for each night).
    Stick it down your jocks going through security, then get a pint in the arena, drink, keep the cup, use for spirits, with soft drink mixers from the food vendors.

qouo1473243863169.jpg

snapshotimagehandler_1522989298.jpeg?h=540&w=540

for saving money, get a few of these, fill up with spirits before going down to EP (I fill 3, one for each night).
    Stick it down your jocks going through security, then get a pint in the arena, drink, keep the cup, use for spirits, with soft drink mixers from the food vendors.

qouo1473243863169.jpg

Oh I know well, straight into the bra!! In the unlikely event a pat down feels something 'eh yeah, chicken fillets!'. Very handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Well I'm just going to dig in and enjoy the feck out of it. I will NOT have you lot bringing me down.

Think the carrier pigeon delivering my map has been shot lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Cxloe

melwurdo wrote: »
    Oh I know well, straight into the bra!! In the unlikely event a pat down feels something 'eh yeah, chicken fillets!'. Very handy!

Planned my outfits for this year v poorly when bra smuggling is taken into consideration

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

qouo1473243863169.jpg

Also, these are available to buy from SportsDirect stores

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I've been known to bring a 500ml water bottle into Primavera with no screwtop in plain sight. Never gets stopped and an easy rum n Coke or five later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Kenzothe

Cxloe wrote: »
    Planned my outfits for this year v poorly when bra smuggling is taken into consideration

Outfits? Plural? I prob won't change my clothes til the Tuesday morning!!

sweetie wrote: »
    I've been known to bring a 500ml water bottle into Primavera with no screwtop in plain sight. Never gets stopped and an easy rum n Coke or five later on.

I did the pouches in bra at Primavera too! Baby food pouches with no baby in sight. Went ham on the orange Red Bulls with my spirits and a great night was had.

I had been at Life the week before, all within the same pay month so needed to be savvy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Akell19

Can Tour De Picnic people camp in the main public area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

They probably shouldve made this move last year, when the lineup was a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Cxloe

Kenzothe wrote: »

Not once have I gone down and not had three outfits ready to go, and not once have I worn all 3, I never learn

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DDOK

Court123! wrote: »

I'm looking to buy pink moon tent if you still have it?

Sorry I sold the tent earlier this week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

The building excitement of the last week has been shattered. Woe is me.

This time next week we'll all be having cans by the Salty Dog, smuggled there or not. We'll have loads of great music, chats & craic ahead of us and all negativity will be forgotten.

Enjoy this weekend and get prepared for the best weekend of the year in seven days time. It'll be a blast.

Jeez lads you need a t-shirt extravaganza of a festival.

This year's shortlist:

x1 Stone Roses lemon (black)
    x1 Massive Attack (black)
    x1 Justified Ancients of Mu Mu '2023' (yellow)
    x1 KLF Pyramid Blaster long sleeve (black, for the Night Shifts)
    x1 Down GAA top (red/black, for the journey home)

I know this isn't @ me but given 5 days of the week I'm in slacks and blouses you best believe I'm going ham at EP and wearing a load of mad ****. Now at least tell us you're bringing a good deodorant!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

rubick wrote: »
    Jeez lads you need a t-shirt extravaganza of a festival.

This year's shortlist:

x1 Stone Roses lemon (black)
    x1 Massive Attack (black)
    x1 Justified Ancients of Mu Mu '2023' (yellow)
    x1 KLF Pyramid Blaster long sleeve (black, for the Night Shifts)
    x1 Down GAA top (red/black, for the journey home)

x1 Daft Punk 2007 tee
    x1 Radiohead AMSP tee
    x1 Germany 2018 away jersey
    x1 Big Lebowski quote tee (careful man, theres a beverage here)

Advertisement