Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Fatfrog wrote: »
    As much as I hate to say it, the Bacardi area is an integral part of the EP, I'm sure they do pretty well, massive advertising and whatever they get from sales, so I wouldn't like to see it go. I would guess its commercially viable?

But some the other stalls/stands E-lights logic..... maybe I dislike so much I've automatically blocked them out but WTF is Logic?? Been there still don't know!! Commercially these guys can't honestly sit around the board room table and say 'We've spent 150k on the EP plot... 150k on the rig/stand, buying, transporting and erecting, another couple of grand staffing it......... what have we got in return?? F$$K all"

I find the logic area intensely annoying. Not because of the obnoxious music per se, but because they have "this must be the place" written on the side and I keep thinking "aw deadly they love talking heads". No, they do not love talking heads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I find the logic area intensely annoying. Not because of the obnoxious music per se, but because they have "this must be the place" written on the side and I keep thinking "aw deadly they love talking heads". No, they do not love talking heads

but but but.... what sort of utter savage does not love Talking Heads?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    New art every year. Didn't see all but the moon in the woods and the sculptures of the kids weren't there before. New stuff in Body & Soul, the Trailer Park, Hazel Wood and along the walking route in from Stradbally. The art isn't left on site and has to be put up every year (costs for storage I assume).And La Fura dels Baus were not cheap to bring over.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/art-and-design/busting-out-art-at-electric-picnic-2018-1.3595996

In terms of the line-up it's always up for debate. and has been here for the past six months. You can't apply a subjective opinion and pass it off as agreed fact. For me, and seemingly most here it was a mixture of good and bad. Not a classic year but with 35 stages you'll always find enough to enjoy.

Always just presumed the art installations etc were a collaboration with art & design institutes nationwide; also after reading the linked article realize I need to give more time to appreciate the art in depth (obvs I appreciate it but more the overall aesthetic), was it open on the Thursday actually?

Definitely wouldn't want EP to go further down the Oxegen route (a complete ****-fest in my eyes regardless of line-up), to me it seems we got the headliners this year to the detriment of the upper middle-tier acts, and 2017 the headliners were on the flimsy side while the middle-tier acts were strong, rinse and repeat; if they could get both to align on a consistent basis it'd be dandy for me, with maybe a touch more thought given to the curation.

Despacio every year is a fantastic shout.

Random thought: would FR taking ownership of their own content via a Youtube channel be viable (read profitable), as generally accepted the RTE coverage is a bit pony?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Mucker46

jesus, when did you sleep?

Had little down time during the day. What I eat determined by shortest queue. Not all 30 were full sets but I would say mid-20 were. Don't stay onsite as have relatives close by but back onsite by 1and stay till 3 or 4am. Takes me a long time to recover (probably age related)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,719 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Mucker46 wrote: »
    Had little down time during the day. What I eat determined by shortest queue. Not all 30 were full sets but I would say mid-20 were. Don't stay onsite as have relatives close by but back onsite by 1and stay till 3 or 4am. Takes me a long time to recover (probably age related)

Same. 24 bands this year. Up and gone at around 1 or so. Back about 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Lets hope all the Irish chart monkeys are laying low for 2019 and we get a balance in the lineup, still holding out for a bit of Aphex Twin, Uziq/Mike Paradinas, The Avalanches if they are still doing shows, will Liz Frazer ever do anything again either solo or Cocteau Twins, one can only dream there, they played T in the Park once or twice. Some more trap-metal stuff would be nice, enjoyed that this year. Can't think of anyone at the moment who is kicking off 2019 tour schedules, I suppose I'll think of something by the time the EP thread hits 5,000 posts. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Bruce2008

Oh jezus. Just saw Take That are going on a greatest hits tour next year.
    Please noooooooo. Not even on the throw back stage!

Snarky Snark Snark

They're more likely to fill Lansdowne Road than appear in a field down de country, reckon we'll be safe on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Quick question for anyone who has stayed in family camping before. I've bought 2 family camping tickets for myself and the OH and we'll be bringing our kids down. I'm considering bringing them home on the Sunday morning to give us the Sunday night to ourselves at EP - does that mean we'd have to leave the family camping or would we be ok staying? I guess I'm asking how strict they are when accessing the family camping site

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

Synode wrote: »
    Quick question for anyone who has stayed in family camping before. I've bought 2 family camping tickets for myself and the OH and we'll be bringing our kids down. I'm considering bringing them home on the Sunday morning to give us the Sunday night to ourselves at EP - does that mean we'd have to leave the family camping or would we be ok staying? I guess I'm asking how strict they are when accessing the family camping site

your absolutely fine doing this its quite common the family campsite empties quite a lot on Saturday evening sunday morning of kids

• Advertisement

Thanks princemuzzy. Good to know

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Got an email for feedback from pink moon this morning, I mentioned to them about car parking being dependent on parking in green (not sure if they can do anything about this) and that if they continue to increase prices they would lose me as a customer.

Got an email for feedback from pink moon this morning, I mentioned to them about car parking being dependent on parking in green (not sure if they can do anything about this) and that if they continue to increase prices they would lose me as a customer.

I slated them about the prices going up each year and the quality going down. I wasn't there this year (had to sell my ticket) but the previous 3 years the quality got worse each year and the prices went up. Doubt they'll take it on board at all

Snarky Snark Snark

Filled in also, had a pop at less facilities, increased pricing and parking.

Also that given they've put an extra toilet block at the top of the field by the two man tents, they really should put a water trough there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭PinkCamper

Only feeling back to normal today to be honest. I missed the loyalty tickets because I just didn’t feel ready last Friday. Didn’t expect they’d sell out. It’s been hellish with back to school schedule and hitting the ground running. Very attracted to ATN for next year purely for the timing. It’s the same every year. Hate myself for two weeks post EP for being Party Mummy. Every fcuking year

I’m very late to the chat but.... Roadhouse Doors were fab. Found €50 during the set. Tried to find it’s own but to no avail. Is it yours? I bought an EP sweatshirt with it. Thanks! I really loved Chvrches set but it was far too short. Looking forward to seeing them in Olympia in February. I’ve never seen a main stage crowd like Dua Lipa. Never ever. It was bordering on dangerous. Great atmosphere though during that set. Mother DJs Saturday night were class.

Not much chat on here about it this year, but kids at EP are still a no from me. For me that is. I cannot help but think mine would be bored quickly. And anyway it’s our Christmas. No kids in tow thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gauralordon

PinkCamper wrote: »
    Only feeling back to normal today to be honest. I missed the loyalty tickets because I just didn’t feel ready last Friday. Didn’t expect they’d sell out. It’s been hellish with back to school schedule and hitting the ground running. Very attracted to ATN for next year purely for the timing. It’s the same every year. Hate myself for two weeks post EP for being Party Mummy. Every fcuking year

I’m very late to the chat but.... Roadhouse Doors were fab. Found €50 during the set. Tried to find it’s own but to no avail. Is it yours? I bought an EP sweatshirt with it. Thanks! I really loved Chvrches set but it was far too short. Looking forward to seeing them in Olympia in February. I’ve never seen a main stage crowd like Dua Lipa. Never ever. It was bordering on dangerous. Great atmosphere though during that set. Mother DJs Saturday night were class.

Not much chat on here about it this year, but kids at EP are still a no from me. For me that is. I cannot help but think mine would be bored quickly. And anyway it’s our Christmas. No kids in tow thanks

Meant to say... went to Salty Dog on the Thursday night to catch the end of the night's entertainment and there was a child of about 7 or 8 asleep at (presumably) their father's feet on the ground. Thought I'd tripped too hard but when I realised I wasn't hallucinating, the thought of that child didn't leave me all weekend.

Meant to say... went to Salty Dog on the Thursday night to catch the end of the night's entertainment and there was a child of about 7 or 8 asleep at (presumably) their father's feet on the ground. Thought I'd tripped too hard but when I realised I wasn't hallucinating, the thought of that child didn't leave me all weekend.

I saw a lot of that all weekend. Babies and kids after dark, not on. I know it’s controversial but I just don’t like seeing it. I have four kids at home, I was delighted to say goodbye to them, and I don’t want to see yours at EP after dark

• Registered Users Posts: 19,719 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I sent a message to my mate asking did we miss Wolf Alice on the Saturday. I wasn't sure (I saw about 25 bands)

He replied we did miss them.

I then remembered that I did in fact see them. I sent a message to him, saying "the only thing worse than missing Wolf Alice because you were drunk is thinking you missed them because you were so drunk"

He replied with "Was I there?"

The moral of the story is - I must leave the JD at home next year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

[QUOTE=PinkCamper;108072316

Not much chat on here about it this year, but kids at EP are still a no from me. For me that is. I cannot help but think mine would be bored quickly. And anyway it’s our Christmas. No kids in tow thanks[/QUOTE]

Have to agree - knowing my kids I'd spend the best part of the weekend and a month's rent at the funfair & the constant desire for all and every item of food they saw would drive me bonkers. Also I know I'd feel hard done by taking them back to the tent before gigs etc were over. There are loads of cool campsites and days out that are specifically for children to enjoy themselves. I'd rather do a weekend somewhere like that earlier in the Summer and keep EP for me & husband to get as merry as we like with no responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gauralordon

I saw a lot of that all weekend. Babies and kids after dark, not on. I know it’s controversial but I just don’t like seeing it. I have four kids at home, I was delighted to say goodbye to them, and I don’t want to see yours at EP after dark

During the day I think it can be refreshing at a festival to see families sitting around soaking it all up and having a good time. Maybe it's just because I love kids that I like seeing them there. After hours, definitely agree it's not on. Suppose it's a personal choice but I know if I ever have kids they wouldn't be coming with me.

On a side note, I don't think I've ever seen a pregnant woman at EP, whereas when I was at Rock Werchter I saw at least 10! But hardly any kids. Strange the way some festivals go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I agree. After 8/9 pm I feel a bit uneasy seeing children still wandering around especially when the madness is starting. A lot of big groups of rough-looking 15-17 year olds hanging around the carnival/main area would make me wary of bringing children to EP.

On a side note, I don't think I've ever seen a pregnant woman at EP, whereas when I was at Rock Werchter I saw at least 10! But hardly any kids. Strange the way some festivals go.

One of our group this year was pregnant. She left on the Friday night and didn’t come back. She lives within driving distance and was staying at home anyway. But she did not enjoy any of it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I saw a practical newborn a few times around the weekend. Only a few wks old id say. I actually almost kidnapped him a few times cos of the cuteness.

Disclaimer: I would never have actually kidnapped the baby.

On the kids thing...I love seeing them during the day. Think it really keeps the picnic vibe. But I do think there should be a curfew for after dark. For the kids sake more than anything

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TiempoFire

Dany Hitch wrote: »
    The Smashing Pumpkins are back touring in the US at the moment. Would love to see Billy Corgan bash out 1979 in Stradbally.

Heritage Act: Erasure for the Sunday night slot.

Hey hey I'm running a campaign (very informal and casually) to build up support to get them back to Ireland in 2019! Any and every help is needed to drum up support to get the likes of MCD & Aiken to try book them.

If you could sign and share the below I plan to try get a few thousand and fire it off to the 2 above mentioned and see what happens.

*EDIT - Cannot post link as new member :-) - Search change.org.. ill be back after im not new to link it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Dany Hitch

Nah, not mine: I only lost my voice at the Roadhouse Doors. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Dany Hitch

TiempoFire wrote: »
    Hey hey I'm running a campaign (very informal and casually) to build up support to get them back to Ireland in 2019! Any and every help is needed to drum up support to get the likes of MCD & Aiken to try book them.

If you could sign and share the below I plan to try get a few thousand and fire it off to the 2 above mentioned and see what happens.

*EDIT - Cannot post link as new member :-) - Search change.org.. ill be back after im not new to link it up!

It starts here..........

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TiempoFire

Dany Hitch wrote: »
    It starts here..........

this is it! Grass roots... let the consumer demand drive supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

TiempoFire wrote: »

Tell them I’ll give them a 6 pack of monster munch and sing Today if they come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Rfrip wrote: »
    I saw a practical newborn a few times around the weekend. Only a few wks old id say. I actually almost kidnapped him a few times cos of the cuteness.

On the kids thing...I love seeing them during the day. Think it really keeps the picnic vibe. But I do think there should be a curfew for after dark. For the kids sake more than anything

Saw that, no need for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Rfrip wrote: »

I think it was 2011 EP but I almost sat on a kids head who was lying sleeping in the dark in Trenchtown, the mother was rolling a joint next to them, I was about to sit down and looked down and went FCUK and moved down a bit, this was about 2 AM, so way late.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement