Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Nearly smacked a lad who was carrying a child towards the front of the roadhouse doors. Child was very young (2 maybe) and was covering its ears with its hands because of the volume. Put fecking ear protectors on kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

The peeps chiming in with poxy “kids after dark - it’s not on” and “curfew for kids” comments can, collectively, GFY. Pitiable stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Wooderson wrote: »
    The peeps chiming in with poxy “kids after dark - it’s not on” and “curfew for kids” comments can, collectively, GFY. Pitiable stuff.

What a potty mouth. Almost coughed my weetabix reading this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Ah, the chislers. As divisive as ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Kids at a festival have never bothered me but I don't see the appeal of bringing them myself.

It must be exhausting to bring them around all day, no?

But, parents will know better than me on this one.

As for the ear protection, it's something every single person at the festival should be using. Very guilty of not doing it myself. I was once told by a doctor friend of mine that if you attend more than zero live music events, you need earplugs or you'll feel the impact. The wording stuck in my head. Sadly, the advice did not and I wish I could go back over 10+ years of gigs to undo some damage!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,719 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Fwiw - I think that if the parents are responsible, there's no issue. However, there are a holes in all walks of life, including parents. That's where the problem lies

everlast75 wrote: »
    Fwiw - I think that if the parents are responsible, there's no issue. However, there are a holes in all walks of life, including parents. That's where the problem lies

its a festival. Clue is in the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Kids at a festival have never bothered me but I don't see the appeal of bringing them myself.

As for the ear protection, it's something every single person at the festival should be using. Very guilty of not doing it myself. I was once told by a doctor friend of mine that if you attend more than zero live music events, you need earplugs or you'll feel the impact. The wording stuck in my head. Sadly, the advice did not and I wish I could go back over 10+ years of gigs to undo some damage!!

Do it before it's too late. Sadly, due to years of gigs and djing, my hearing is noticeably affected and ive a bit of tinnitus but the last 6/7 years i've been using moulds and wouldn't be without them now, i'll at least hold on to what I have. They've been to a few primaveras and a couple of picnics.

We've brought our daughter on the saturday or sunday (just one day) the last few years. She wears ear protection but mostly is in the craft area or Body and soul/trailer park and away from the main arena. Goes home early enough and neither of us are larging it anyways. My wife is from the area and there's lots of other families she knows to hang out with. Why shouldn't a family enjoy a day or two together and not be worrying about inebriated teens or young adults that can't hold their drink? I agree there should be a limit on when they are allowed be there, like 10pm or so.

Who else can we ban/ who’s fun can we restrict now we’re onto the topic....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Who else can we ban/ who’s fun can we restrict now we’re onto the topic....

In fairness, more than one of the posters who've commented on the kids issue are parents themselves. I don't see why kids should be the only area of the whole festival that's off limits for the forum. You've your opinion, tell us why you like having the kids there. No need for the vitriol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

We're going to bring ours in 2019. They'll both be under 10. We're doing it because every year when we pack them off to their grandparents for a long weekend in early Sep they've asked us can they come next year. So thought why not this year, as it may be our last one for a while. They'll enjoy the camping, Body & Soul, craft area, food and some of the music I'm sure. But we'll defo have them back at the tent by 11/12pm latest as it starts to get especially messy from then on.

We'll also drop them home on the Sun morning hopefully so we'll at least get 1 night to ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

with regards to the tiring aspect, it used to be worse but ours have been to that many and stand alone gigs that they know whats what now. Basically you live you learn.

this year was the latest they have ever been in the arena eldest wanted to see kendrick and friends of ours played The tea tent in B&S After so prob 1.30am. However the majority of the years i have missed at least 1 to 2 headliners to bring them back to the tent, the parents who keep them in there when they dont really want to be in there are the problem, kids are great craic and really add to the festival when they are well rested and want to be there.

fwiw kids without ear protectors shouldn't be admitted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

fwiw kids without ear protectors shouldn't be admitted

No kids so no dog in that fight but this, this should be enforced, damaged hearing is not cool and they would be damaged for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I think the kids are a great addition to EP. I brought my son down for the Sunday afternoon a few years ago and it was great fun. We were gone by 5pm after seeing a few bands, going on the amusements and getting a sausage roll.

You always have a minority of parents who keep them out too late but most people are sensible enough about it.

But then you also have a minority of adults who don't bring kids and act the complete d*ck anyway, so what can you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I think the kids are a great addition to EP. You always have a minority of parents who keep them out too late but most people are sensible enough about it.

But then you also have a minority of adults who don't bring kids and act the complete d*ck anyway, so what can you do?

This!

The only issue I had was noise in the caravan area at 7:30 am when a few lads who were old enough to know better started playing music too loud and refused to turn it off

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

No kids so no dog in that fight but this, this should be enforced, damaged hearing is not cool and they would be damaged for life.

cant even see how its that hard to enforce the search every bag anyway why not make sure each kid has one , or hand them out for free

I hadn't even thought about ear protectors. Do they completely drown out the sound? Anyone any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

I think the kids are a great addition to EP. You always have a minority of parents who keep them out too late but most people are sensible enough about it.

This!

The only issue I had was noise in the caravan area at 7:30 am when a few lads who were old enough to know better started playing music too loud and refused to turn it off
    Haha whats the etiquette on this? Had the same issue at ATN on the Sunday night, people blaring awful tunes, really loud until 8am. Tunes ranging from Ibiza Bangers 2018, to the crazy frog remix, to "photograph" by Nickelback. 
    Really could have done with them shutting up. But its a festival, so I suffered in silence.
    Thoughts?

*In general camping btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

You have to laugh at the notion that bad things only happen at a festival when its dark!! Some of the worst things I've seen happened during the day!!

Why not have kids there if that's what you want to do..(Wouldn't be my preference) the b&s area is a wonderland for them :) if everyone is respectful and caring towards them (ie leaves them alone) I think short exposure to the main areas can't hurt. Plus it adds an extra dimension to the festival and the demographic. Age spread is critical for any festival in my view.

But my pet hate it young kids with refuse sacks picking up plastic cup!!

Fatfrog wrote: »
    You have to laugh at the notion that bad things only happen at a festival when its dark!! Some of the worst things I've seen happened during the day!!

Nobody said that though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

D.Q wrote: »
    Haha whats the etiquette on this? Had the same issue at ATN on the Sunday night, people blaring awful tunes, really loud until 8am. Tunes ranging from Ibiza Bangers 2018, to the crazy frog remix, to "photograph" by Nickelback. 
    Really could have done with them shutting up. But its a festival, so I suffered in silence.
    Thoughts?

*In general camping btw

I suffered in silence but when I got up I went over to the group and explained what would happen if there was a repeat on the following morning.

In fairness to them, they apologised and didn't attempt to beat me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭PinkCamper

Thanks for your charming and helpful suggestion. But it’s my opinion and I’m entitled to it. Some parents are ok with it, FR are ok with it, but I don’t like it. I hate it. Same way some are ok with Kendrick being a headliner and some hate it.

I think this topic is controversial because parents take it as a judgement on their parenting. You might judge me for choosing to leave my kids at home. I might admire you for having the balls to bring yours.

I have zero issue with kids there in the daytime but tbh they often look bored. Although I’ve never been into the kid areas so perhaps they’re happy in there.

To each their own but kids at EP ain’t for me

PinkCamper wrote: »
    Thanks for your charming and helpful suggestion. But it’s my opinion and I’m entitled to it. Some parents are ok with it, FR are ok with it, but I don’t like it. I hate it. Same way some are ok with Kendrick being a headliner and some hate it.

I think this topic is controversial because parents take it as a judgement on their parenting. You might judge me for choosing to leave my kids at home. I might admire you for having the balls to bring yours.

To each their own but kids at EP ain’t for me

I'm not judging you one iota. Youre making sweeping generalisations about other people however, and I for one couldnt get a rat's ass about your feelings. It has sweet FA to do with the choice of a headliner - its about the culture and tone of the festival.

Who else do you hate going to EP while we're at it? Any other groups? The elderly? The disabled? Cmon dude. Its a huge field in Laois. Live and let live - away with the "hatred".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I'm not judging you one iota. Youre making sweeping generalisations about other people however, and I for one couldnt get a rat's ass about your feelings. It has sweet FA to do with the choice of a headliner - its about the culture and tone of the festival.

Who else do you hate going to EP while we're at it? Any other groups? The elderly? The disabled? Cmon dude. Its a huge field in Laois. Live and let live - away with the "hatred".

You're an angry individual. The posters here complaining about kids have all pointed out that they don't agree with kids without hearing protection, kids asleep on the ground after dark while their folks are spliffing up, and kids generally being around messy drunks. Most of those aren't the kids fault, but criticisms of bad parenting. Well behaved kids are most welcome if properly taken care of and kept away from the madness, some might disagree with that but I think that's the position the majority of us take. You're just coming across super aggro though.

Maybe we should ban you.

I never said you were judging me. I said perhaps. Although I think you think I am judging you because you seem extremely defensive.

Your comparison of the elderly and disabled is ridiculous. Adults of all shapes and sizes are well equipped to handle themselves but children are not. And to be clear, I am very specifically talking about kids after dark.

Do you remember being bored in the pub as a kid waiting on your parents in the 80s? I do. Thankfully we don’t do that anymore

I never said you were judging me. I said perhaps. Although I think you think I am judging you because you seem extremely defensive.

Your comparison of the elderly and disabled is ridiculous. Adults of all shapes and sizes are well equipped to handle themselves but children are not. And to be clear, I am very specifically talking about kids after dark.

Do you remember being bored in the pub as a kid waiting on your parents in the 80s? I do. Thankfully we don’t do that anymore

My kid was on my shoulders for the Prodigy with ear defenders on. Her only complaint for the night was the geographical ignorance shown by Maxim.

My kid was on my shoulders for the Prodigy with ear defenders on. Her only complaint for the night was the geographical ignorance shown by Maxim.

Good for you. And good for your kid. But I’m glad I wasn’t standing beside you.

You know that feeling when you’ve planned a night out, paid a babysitter, made an effort with your appearance, and arrive at a fancy restaurant, dying for a cocktail and some adult time. Only to find yourself being shown to a table next to a family. Yeah. It’s kind of like that.

You know that feeling when you’ve planned a night out, paid a babysitter, made an effort with your appearance, and arrive at a fancy restaurant, dying for a cocktail and some adult time. Only to find yourself being shown to a table next to a family. Yeah. It’s kind of like that.

Such tolerance. Inspirational.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I don't think it's admirable to bring children to a very late-night gig surrounded by adults going crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Except at a restaurant, you can't just move ten feet away and instantly resolve the problem.

I've tutted at a few parents/kids in my time at EP but I can't say it's ever made one ounce of difference to my enjoyment of the festival. Just like the under-25s who are so widely hated on this forum ("let's kick some teenagers, lol"), families are just there to enjoy themselves.

It's a music festival, people need to take it just a little bit less seriously. It's more like arriving at Eddie Rockets and being surprised there's a family sitting there.

Advertisement