Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

So, with no Cure who are our potential main acts? Unsure who's touring next year but all of these have got to be in the running:

Hozier, Radiohead, Orbital, Ed Sheeran, Tame Impala, LCD Soundsystem, The 1975, Snow Patrol, Smashing Pumpkins, A-ha, ELO, Arcade Fire, Florence & the Machine, The War on Drugs, Arctic Monkeys, Kraftwerk.

Any others?

Bestival in administration. Will severely affect bookings for ATN and with 15k - 20k ticket sales they'll struggle for a decent line-up next Summer. I hope not as EP needs the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Hard to call the headliners this far out but I would not be surprised if the 1975 were one of them. They are playing in the 3Arena in January (Kendrick played in February this year) and EP seem to like getting back acts who have played before but have grown in stature. Hozier another who could appear if his new album is out between now and then. Wouldn't be a fan of either of them so hopefully more exciting acts start announcing tours between now and Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Bestival in administration. Will severely affect bookings for ATN and with 15k - 20k ticket sales they'll struggle for a decent line-up next Summer. I hope not as EP needs the competition.

Will it though, I know there was some cross over this year but not a massive amount from what I can see, POD have a strong set of connections at this stage I don't think they need to lean on the likes of Bestival

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

So, with no Cure who are our potential main acts? Unsure who's touring next year but all of these have got to be in the running:

Hozier, Radiohead, Orbital, Ed Sheeran, Tame Impala, LCD Soundsystem, The 1975, Snow Patrol, Smashing Pumpkins, A-ha, ELO, Arcade Fire, Florence & the Machine, The War on Drugs, Arctic Monkeys, Kraftwerk.

Any others?

I think Artic Monkeys are a shoe in, I'd put money on it

• Advertisement

Will it though, I know there was some cross over this year but not a massive amount from what I can see, POD have a strong set of connections at this stage I don't think they need to lean on the likes of Bestival

Chaka Khan, First Aid Kit, Jimmy Cliff, Grace Jones, Thundercat, Mura Masa for starters. It'll definitely dent their ability to do a deal with acts for two festivals and may affect acts already jointly booked.

I think Artic Monkeys are a shoe in, I'd put money on it

Wouldn't please me after 2013, but you're probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Chaka Khan, First Aid Kit, Jimmy Cliff, Grace Jones, Thundercat, Mura Masa for starters. It'll definitely dent their ability to do a deal with acts for two festivals and may affect acts already jointly booked.

I agree, they had a partnership to attract bands. This is going to make it harder for POD, I’m pretty sure bestival even moved weekends to share theirs with ATN so they could combine forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I don't think Bestival is in the black yet, one of the backers has pulled out, but they might still get someone else in there ye'll never know.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I don't think Bestival is in the black yet, one of the backers has pulled out, but they might still get someone else in there ye'll never know.

Why would anyone invest in something proven not to give return?

• Advertisement

I just seen on Efestivals that Festival Number 6 and Electric Fields in Scotland are discontinuing too.

I don't get you, its not like Bestival has been consistently failing, they have had a lot of success too, they are just going through a tough patch at the moment, kinda like I suppose the Picnic was going through before the 2012 edition happened.

I don't get you, its not like Bestival has been consistently failing, they have had a lot of success too, they are just going through a tough patch at the moment, kinda like I suppose the Picnic was going through before the 2012 edition happened.

A major part must have been their recent mediocre line-ups. The capacity is 35k and it's all subjective but is this really a satisfactory cachet of acts for a decent sized fest?

http://www.bestival.net/line-up

Festival No 6 is one I'd loved to have gone to, the idea of a weekend in beautiful Portmerion appealed but it almost always clashed with EP. And only one winner there.

I think this is pretty self explanatory... so

On a side note, arctics tonight we’re great. Lemon twigs being fantastic as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Soft Cell were sublime on Later this evening, shame they’re doing it to plug their final gig.

Looking at all these news reports about the festivals (Bestival Fest No 6 etc) failing, some of these are the blue print of the old Picnic festivals, boutique, eclectic lineup, aimed at an older crowd. The Picnic is still going strong and although I wasn't overtly impressed with their trump card of Irish chart bands added to the lineup but by god, no matter how much I hate some of these bands they pulled some of the largest crowds to the stages and the Picnic seems safer and stronger because of it. Its a win win for me as I got to see some disturbing loud angry stuff while the teeny bopper stuff was happening in the main stage and EA. I can see Ed Sheeran doing this next year as the tickets would fly out the door as long as I can see some super nutty stuff at the same time what harm.

Soft Cell were sublime on Later this evening, shame they’re doing it to plug their final gig.

Dave Ball looked like he hadn't seen that keyboard for 15 years, more like a guy pulled out from behind a butcher's counter. Doesn't look like he's fit for a proper tour either but we can only hope they change their mind and do more gigs. And what a song this is:

Snarky Snark Snark

Dave Ball looked like he hadn't seen that keyboard for 15 years, more like a guy pulled out from behind a butcher's counter. Doesn't look like he's fit for a proper tour either but we can only hope they change their mind and do more gigs.

Aye, he looked proper fcuked, that said the pair looked genuinely tickled to be along side each other again.

Rightly peed off that I missed Hak Baker this year now after seeing him on that.

Aye, he looked proper fcuked, that said the pair looked genuinely tickled to be along side each other again.

Rightly peed off that I missed Hak Baker this year now after seeing him on that.

Same here. Think he played a couple of sets at EP as well.

And at least we got to see Almond at the Picnic, brilliant set but not the same as seeing Soft Cell.

Snarky Snark Snark

And at least we got to see Almond at the Picnic, brilliant set but not the same as seeing Soft Cell.

What year did he play?

• Advertisement

What year did he play?

2010 i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

This is Ed Sheerans 2018 schedule, x9 standalone gigs all sold out 300,000 tickets. Do people really feel he could play EP19 !!

CORK, Páirc Uí Chaoimh 4, 5 & 6 May 2018
    BELFAST, Boucher Playing Fields 9 May 2018
    GALWAY, Pearse Stadium 12 & 13 May 2018
    DUBLIN, Phoenix Park 16,18 & 19 May 2018

Fatfrog wrote: »
    This is Ed Sheerans 2018 schedule, x9 standalone gigs all sold out 300,000 tickets. Do people really feel he could play EP19 !!

CORK, Páirc Uí Chaoimh 4, 5 & 6 May 2018
    BELFAST, Boucher Playing Fields 9 May 2018
    GALWAY, Pearse Stadium 12 & 13 May 2018
    DUBLIN, Phoenix Park 16,18 & 19 May 2018

Yep. He's doing some festivals next Summer (already down for two) and EP want him then we may be lumbered with him. His festival fee unlikely to be greater than Kendrick's and FR also have an extra €600K to play with (2,500 extra tickets x €240). Would prefer it not to happen but he can't be ruled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,719 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Yep. He's doing some festivals next Summer (already down for two) and EP want him then we may be lumbered with him. His festival fee unlikely to be greater than Kendrick's and FR also have an extra €600K to play with (2,500 extra tickets x €240). Would prefer it not to happen but he can't be ruled out.

I have my ticket for EP 2019.

Please don't make me sell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

When do the Sunday tickets go on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

everlast75 wrote: »
    I have my ticket for EP 2019.

Please don't make me sell it.

Would you really sell it if he was announced? Personally I think he's sh1te but there's so much else going on at any one time that it really wouldn't bother me that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Would you really sell it if he was announced? Personally I think he's sh1te but there's so much else going on at any one time that it really wouldn't bother me that much.

Yeah after this year especially I feel regardless of who the headliners are there will be plenty for me elsewhere. I think it is a possibility that we could get Ed Sheeran as a headliner but I don't see why they would when they are going to sell it out regardless of if they book him or not. No idea how much he would charge in comparison to someone like Kendrick, The Killers, Arctic Monkeys or Blur but if he wasn't much more expensive it's a possibility.

Yeah after this year especially I feel regardless of who the headliners are there will be plenty for me elsewhere. I think it is a possibility that we could get Ed Sheeran as a headliner but I don't see why they would when they are going to sell it out regardless of if they book him or not. No idea how much he would charge in comparison to someone like Kendrick, The Killers, Arctic Monkeys or Blur but if he wasn't much more expensive it's a possibility.

They're already focusing on sales for 2020/21 so big acts mean they sell out quicker for future years. I can deal with him being there as long as they balance him with decent acts at the top of the bill. Having the 1975 and Kodaline alongside him would be worrying, even Snow Patrol and Hozier who are better artists. However EP seems to be managing that balance and I think they'll continue to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,719 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

BigMo1 wrote: »

I was being a little tongue in cheek.

But in fairness, if he was to play, he would be a headliner. Even with 2 of this year's headliners being a little less than what I had hoped for, having him take up one of the main slots would push out somebody better who they could have spent his budget on.

Plus, it would be a very bland selection for the EP and wouldn't fit, in my view.

(Also, I have a problem with a substantial amount of EP money being paid to him in general).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

After this year I really don’t care who headlines tbh. While I obviously have a wish list, after this years I was rarely at the main stage and it was one of the best eps for me in all the 11 I’ve been to.

Ep continue to put on a great festival with so much more going on outside the main arena and that’s what made me fall back in love with the festival this year.

Advertisement