Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

unfortunately the king of the gingers is a real possibility, looks like he wants a break from solo touring and he could do the festival scene from his base in england just doing 1 or 2 a week and rake in another few million for the bank manager

just because he sold 300k tickets here doesn't mean he can do it again next year he prob knows its too soon for that ****e and will happily pick up a kindrick sized cheque for 1 night here and half the expense

really couldnt give a **** to be honest last years line up proved to be amazing for me regardless of headliners so once it stays the same im happy

also think it will sell out before anyone is announced

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Rfrip wrote: »
    After this year I really don’t care who headlines tbh. While I obviously have a wish list, after this years I was rarely at the main stage and it was one of the best eps for me in all the 11 I’ve been to.

Ep continue to put on a great festival with so much more going on outside the main arena and that’s what made me fall back in love with the festival this year.

I didn't go this year, but my mates did.
    They said the same. They stuck to the fringe stages, and said it made for a great weekend.
    They only went to the main stage / busy part of the main arena if there was someone they really wanted to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

They're settling in to a business model of fairly populist top end of the bill acts, interspersed with the odd indie behemoth, supplemented by a diverse and well thought out middle to lower end. This, at the moment, maintains their profit margins and gives us all a shedload of stuff we like. Hard to complain. Well, easy, given that we're largely grumpy, middle-aged Smiths fans but you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    They're already focusing on sales for 2020/21 so big acts mean they sell out quicker for future years. I can deal with him being there as long as they balance him with decent acts at the top of the bill. Having the 1975 and Kodaline alongside him would be worrying, even Snow Patrol and Hozier who are better artists. However EP seems to be managing that balance and I think they'll continue to do so.

I keep mentioning the fact that during Picture This in 2018, the three main tents were all half empty, including St. Vincent who filled that tent the last time she was here. Poor Field Music had only about 100 people in Cosby.

Assuming that FR are aware of this, it could be the case that the swing towards the younger demographic will increase. Why pay for the "niche" acts for the old faithful, when only a small crowd seems bothered. It seems to me that there are two target demographics for EP. Sadly the one I (and most in this forum) fall into, is shrinking year on year in terms of acts booked.

I hope this is nonsense and in 2019 we get another eclectic mix of acts. But the fear is real.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Mucker46

I keep mentioning the fact that during Picture This in 2018, the three main tents were all half empty, including St. Vincent who filled that tent the last time she was here. Poor Field Music had only about 100 people in Cosby.

Assuming that FR are aware of this, it could be the case that the swing towards the younger demographic will increase. Why pay for the "niche" acts for the old faithful, when only a small crowd seems bothered. It seems to me that there are two target demographics for EP. Sadly the one I (and most in this forum) fall into, is shrinking year on year in terms of acts booked.

I hope this is nonsense and in 2019 we get another eclectic mix of acts. But the fear is real.

While I can see your argument I would counter with if they have all the same demographic acts on at same time surely the tents would be emptier as demographic will flock to headliner. As EP will have a diverse demographic i think the line up will continue to reflect that. It does mean however that if populist headlinersctents with more diverse acts wont get the crowd they deserve (do the acts mind as get paid the same). Hope i am right as spent very little time at main stage and had a great EP. After 2011 I was worried 2012 was going to be last but it revitalised my love for EO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Stillill42 wrote: »
    They're settling in to a business model of fairly populist top end of the bill acts, interspersed with the odd indie behemoth, supplemented by a diverse and well thought out middle to lower end. This, at the moment, maintains their profit margins and gives us all a shedload of stuff we like. Hard to complain. Well, easy, given that we're largely grumpy, middle-aged Smiths fans but you know what I mean.

Basically the Glastonbury model. The main stage largely avoidable for most of the weekend bar the odd excellent headliner and heritage act.

I think FR are savvy enough to know how to keep everyone happy. The eclectic mix of acts works at Glasto. That draws the same wide demographic as EP and they'll want to keep everybody onside. This year had no indie/rock headliner but I'd expect one of Radiohead/Smashing Pumpkins/Arctic Monkeys/Arcade Fire for 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

I think this is pretty self explanatory... so

On a side note, arctics tonight we’re great. Lemon twigs being fantastic as ever.

Devastated I missed Lemon Twigs (for the second time now), so much for pre gig scooping with the brother in town :(

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

So, with no Cure who are our potential main acts? Unsure who's touring next year but all of these have got to be in the running:

Hozier, Radiohead, Orbital, Ed Sheeran, Tame Impala, LCD Soundsystem, The 1975, Snow Patrol, Smashing Pumpkins, A-ha, ELO, Arcade Fire, Florence & the Machine, The War on Drugs, Arctic Monkeys, Kraftwerk.

Any others?

Christine and the Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Tago Mago wrote: »
    Devastated I missed Lemon Twigs (for the second time now), so much for pre gig scooping with the brother in town :(

They’ll be back next year without a doubt. New album to tour.

• Advertisement

One positive thing about EP is that despite many returnees we're guaranteed acts that have never played the fest before (3 of the top 5 acts this year). But even after 15 years there are a surprising number of suitable musicians who've never played so how about some of these for 2019:

Stiff Little Fingers
    Wire
    Squeeze
    Radiohead
    Van Morrison
    Heaven 17
    Soft Cell
    Ultravox/Midge Ure/John Foxx
    A-ha
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Paul Weller
    TV on the Radio
    Suede
    Joanna Newsom
    Swans
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    Deerhunter
    Pixies
    Throwing Muses
    Third World
    Culture
    Edwyn Collins
    The Triffids
    Ryan Adams
    The The
    Chuck Prophet/Green on Red/Dan Stuart
    Lambchop
    Julian Cope
    Tom Tom Club
    The House of Love
    Air
    Prefab Sprout

(no Morrissey as he ain't going to play unless they shut down the meat vendors which won't happen).

A random list as there's undoubtedly more I've forgotten but FR could you pretty please schedule a few of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Still surprises me that Pixies have never played. Especially back in the early days of EP when they were in the midst of the reunion and seemed to be playing everywhere. They'd have been an ideal headline act alongside some of the headliners in 2005-2008 or so.

Now, you'd imagine they'd be a little further down the bill but would be still well worth a look.

TV on the Radio are the big one for me from the list up there but they don't tour anymore, do they? I know they did a Dear Science anniversary show and have popped up from time to time around the place but its a while since they did a long tour. Fingers crossed for a 2019 comeback as they're one of my absolute favourite acts and I've never managed to catch them.

Vampire Weekend are surely set for the festival circuit next summer too? They were supposed to have released new music by now (an internal Sony stock report had it down for the end of September so there's a little bit of time left...) but you'd expect that album to be out late this year or early next year really.

New M83 next year.

My fav ever gig I think. Bon Iver in FF was pretty special too.

[QUOTE=BullBlackNova;108197834]Still surprises me that Pixies have never played. Especially back in the early days of EP when they were in the midst of the reunion and seemed to be playing everywhere. They'd have been an ideal headline act alongside some of the headliners in 2005-2008 or so.

Now, you'd imagine they'd be a little further down the bill but would be still well worth a look.

TV on the Radio are the big one for me from the list up there but they don't tour anymore, do they? I know they did a Dear Science anniversary show and have popped up from time to time around the place but its a while since they did a long tour. Fingers crossed for a 2019 comeback as they're one of my absolute favourite acts and I've never managed to catch them.

Seathrun66:

They're doing a charity gig in Austin in November so there's hope. But no sign of a tour as you say, maybe they're just going to continue concentrating on other things. Busy guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Mucker46

One positive thing about EP is that despite many returnees we're guaranteed acts that have never played the fest before (3 of the top 5 acts this year). But even after 15 years there are a surprising number of suitable musicians who've never played so how about some of these for 2019:

Stiff Little Fingers
    Wire
    Squeeze
    Radiohead
    Van Morrison
    Heaven 17
    Soft Cell
    A-ha
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Paul Weller
    TV on the Radio
    Suede
    Joanna Newsom
    Swans
    Deerhunter
    Pixies
    Throwing Muses
    Third World
    Culture
    Edwyn Collins
    The Triffids
    Ryan Adams
    The The
    Lambchop
    Julian Cope
    Tom Tom Club
    The House of Love
    Air
    Prefab Sprout

(no Morrissey as he ain't going to play unless they shut down the meat vendors which won't happen).

A random list as there's undoubtedly more I've forgotten but FR could you pretty please schedule a few of these.

Yes please

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

New M83 next year.

My fav ever gig I think. Bon Iver in FF was pretty special too.

Does M83 have new music coming out next year? Haven't seen anything about it anywhere. Without doubt would be my dream picnic act headlining the EA one of the nights.

Does M83 have new music coming out next year? Haven't seen anything about it anywhere. Without doubt would be my dream picnic act headlining the EA one of the nights.

Soon...

Offical instagram, comments under latest post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Julian Cope was there a few years back, reading from his book. Absolute nut job and a gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Would love to see M83, good live act.

Also Foster the people! They played 2011 very early on the Friday when relatively unknown. Missed it due to being in a camp site hoop.
    Seen them at Glastonbury 2014 was presently surprised at how good they were live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Basically the Glastonbury model. The main stage largely avoidable for most of the weekend bar the odd excellent headliner and heritage act.

Only once or twice in my dozen visits has this been true about the Pyramid.

• Advertisement

Wooderson wrote: »
    Only once or twice in my dozen visits has this been true about the Pyramid.

Look at any of the last few years, only 7/8 acts a day on the stage and these are only some of the conventional or poppier ones that played recently:

2017 - Paul Carrack, Craig David, Jools Holland Orchestra, Katy Perry, Ed Sheeran, Jamie Cullum.
    2016 - Jess Glynne, Adele, Ellie Goulding, Laura Mvula, Gregory Porter, Caravan Palace.
    2015 - Florence & the Machine, Mary J Blige, Chronixx, James Bay, George Ezra, Paloma Faith, Pharell Williams, Hozier, Burtle Silver Band.
    2014 - Rodrigo y Gabriela, Lily Allen, Kelis, Angel Haze, Lana Del Ray, Rudimental, Nick Mulvey, Ed Sheeran, The 1975, Caro Emerald.
    2013 - Rita Ora, Professor Green, Laura Mvula, Jake Bugg, The Vaccines, Ben Howard, Dizzee Rascal, Mumford & Sons.

21-24 acts on that stage over the weekend. More than half is of the above (mostly unchallenging) type, there's usually a decent African or Middle-Eastern act daily (though better stuff on West Holts) and the local brass band/NHS choir/novely act to start some days. Generally that leaves two good to great legend acts and a couple of indie/rock acts per day.

All down to taste. I used to spend a lot of time at the Pyramid in the late-80s and 90s but not since Emily Eavis took over the scheduling and made it much poppier.
    Nothing beats a great headliner on the Pyramid but I've opted for the West Holts headliners for much of the past decade (Chic, Bobby Womack, Bryan Ferry, etc).

And for me that's how the EP main stage looks at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Don’t think some of the above (Greg Porter, really?) are as trashy as Picture This. Glasto has swung towards a poppier line up under Emily, but music in gen has done so. The lineup for Reading has arguably changed more.

Wooderson wrote: »
    Don’t think some of the above (Greg Porter, really?) are as trashy as Picture This. Glasto has swung towards a poppier line up under Emily, but music in gen has done so. The lineup for Reading has arguably changed more.

Agreed. Most of the above are of a higher standard than some of what we got at EP this year. I just find much of the Pyramid stage stuff to be unchallenging. And apologies, I've tried to like Gregory Porter but he bores me. Some pals love him though, and if at EP I'd check him out and hopefully be won over.

Spend less and less time at the main stage every year, the Sunday last year was an exception, but spent feck all time there the rest of the weekend. This year I went there for the end of Ash, Chvrches, NERD, Niall Rogers and The prodigy, the acts were well spread between EA and the main stage and the clashes actually worked out well, for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Stiff Little Fingers
    Wire
    Squeeze
    Radiohead
    Van Morrison
    Heaven 17
    Soft Cell
    A-ha
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Paul Weller
    TV on the Radio
    Suede
    Joanna Newsom
    Swans
    Deerhunter
    Pixies
    Throwing Muses
    Third World
    Culture
    Edwyn Collins
    The Triffids
    Ryan Adams
    The The
    Lambchop
    Julian Cope
    Tom Tom Club
    The House of Love
    Air
    Prefab Sprout

Thats one hell of a line up, I could also throw into the mix:

Alcest
    British Sea Power
    Killing Joke
    Cast
    Nada Surf
    NIN
    The Wedding Present
    Tom McRae

Yeah would be happy seeing them grace the picnic for the first time too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Genghis

Would love to see any of, and in no particular order ...

Idles
    James
    The Undertones
    Baxter Dury
    The Stunning
    The Pixies
    Bauhaus
    Paul Weller
    John Cale
    The Stranglers
    Courtney Barnett
    Regina Spektor
    Christine and the Queens
    A House
    Cate Le Bon
    Elvis Costello
    Johnny Marr
    Belle and Sebastian

Genghis wrote: »

Idles
    James
    The Undertones
    Baxter Dury
    The Stunning
    The Pixies
    Bauhaus
    Paul Weller
    John Cale
    The Stranglers
    Courtney Barnett
    Regina Spektor
    Christine and the Queens
    A House
    Cate Le Bon
    Elvis Costello
    Johnny Marr
    Belle and Sebastian

How has he never played?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Thats one hell of a line up, I could also throw into the mix:

Alcest
    British Sea Power
    Killing Joke
    Cast
    Nada Surf
    NIN
    The Wedding Present
    Tom McRae

Yeah would be happy seeing them grace the picnic for the first time too :D

British Sea Power! God bless you, I've been calling for them for years! They'd suit the Picnic beautifully.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Idles
    James
    The Undertones
    Baxter Dury
    The Stunning
    The Pixies
    Bauhaus
    Paul Weller
    John Cale
    The Stranglers
    Courtney Barnett
    Regina Spektor
    Christine and the Queens
    A House
    Cate Le Bon
    Elvis Costello
    Johnny Marr
    Belle and Sebastian

Would absolutely love to see Regina Spector there

• Advertisement

Idles
    James
    The Undertones
    Baxter Dury
    The Stunning
    The Pixies
    Bauhaus
    Paul Weller
    John Cale
    The Stranglers
    Courtney Barnett
    Regina Spektor
    Christine and the Queens
    A House
    Cate Le Bon
    Elvis Costello
    Johnny Marr
    Belle and Sebastian

Heading to New York in a few weeks and Christine and the queens are playing while there, trying to see if I can get to it, but there’s a Beastie Boys book launch and They might be giants are playing as well, have pick my battle wisely.

Advertisement