Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Dany Hitch

I suppose I'll just keep my eyes on the net, check new releases, this is a great website for checking up and coming releases over the next few months.

Yes, yes it is indeed, a great website. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

As a matter of interest, was it Furious Red that had an involvement with Indiependance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Dany Hitch wrote: »
    I suppose I'll just keep my eyes on the net, check new releases, this is a great website for checking up and coming releases over the next few months.

Yes, yes it is indeed, a great website. Cheers!

Not much out between now and the end of the year that I'm interested in going off that list. Anyone have any recommendations?

[Or maybe recommendations for the favourites from the last few months?]

That all changes if Vampire Weekend get the finger out and actually release that new album, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Not much out between now and the end of the year that I'm interested in going off that list. Anyone have any recommendations?

That all changes if Vampire Weekend get the finger out and actually release that new album, though.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056658231

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Maybe I'm completely ignorant to matters such as this, but €1.9m profit doesn't seem all that impressive to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

Hey

Is the pink moon and harvest moon campsite actually sold out? I thought I read someone on the 2018 thread say they a second round might go on sale.

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm completely ignorant to matters such as this, but €1.9m profit doesn't seem all that impressive to me?

It's not a bad number. They probably sink quite a few general costs into EP, but I dont think it is a bad outcome. The Guardian had a great piece on the costs of running festivals

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jul/09/cost-of-staging-music-festival

EP have a lot of bands and some of them are very very expensive. Also, Ireland is not a cheap country for services. Our energy costs are high, a lot of services are coming in to Ireland for these gigs. It would be a lot more expensive to run EP in Laois than UK or France

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Teleman released a very decent third album last month. Caught them live last night and very impressed. Suuns the night before who were equally good. Unsure why neither have played EP.

Seathrun66 wrote: »

Teleman released a very decent third album last month. Caught them live last night and very impressed. Suuns the night before who were equally good. Unsure why neither have played EP.

Will give this a shot - thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

Hey

Is the pink moon and harvest moon campsite actually sold out? I thought I read someone on the 2018 thread say they a second round might go on sale.

early bird lot sold out,
    more to come next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I'd imagine if they made €1.9M 2017, they had a similar profit this year.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

As a matter of interest, was it Furious Red that had an involvement with Indiependance

Sadly not me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

Aha just announced tour dates for next year.

I know some on here were hoping for a Picnic appearance this year. Maybe next Sept??

thebusher wrote: »
    Aha just announced tour dates for next year.

I know some on here were hoping for a Picnic appearance this year. Maybe next Sept??

They are teasing the tour by announcing cities with the full details next week. So far, they've confirmed two cities for "fall 2019"...

Dublin and Bremen.

So, it seems unlikely that they'd end up at EP if they're also in Dublin in 'fall 2019'.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jeditokingyoda

So, it seems unlikely that they'd end up at EP if they're also in Dublin in 'fall 2019'.

Wasn't this the case for Kendrick Lamar this year though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

EP have a lot of bands and some of them are very very expensive. Also, Ireland is not a cheap country for services. Our energy costs are high, a lot of services are coming in to Ireland for these gigs. It would be a lot more expensive to run EP in Laois than UK or France

It's not a bad number. They probably sink quite a few general costs into EP, but I dont think it is a bad outcome. The Guardian had a great piece on the costs of running festivals

Great article covering small and large festivals, it's something I've been doing some research on over the last few years and recently signed up for the distance learning course in Festival management with the Fitzwilliam institute. Saw the course come up immediately drawn to it. Anyone else doing it or something similar?

It's a dream of mine to set up a small event on the family farm as it was the venue from well known event from the last 70s early 80s which became known as Ireland's Woodstock! It's easy to dream but I am also realistic, so would be starting extremely small if it was even viable to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

endainoz wrote: »
    Great article covering small and large festivals, it's something I've been doing some research on over the last few years and recently signed up for the distance learning course in Festival management with the Fitzwilliam institute. Saw the course come up immediately drawn to it. Anyone else doing it or something similar?

It's a dream of mine to set up a small event on the family farm as it was the venue from well known event from the last 70s early 80s which became known as Ireland's Woodstock! It's easy to dream but I am also realistic, so would be starting extremely small if it was even viable to do so.

Do you have a link to this course.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

Module 1: Radiohead

• Advertisement

Wasn't this the case for Kendrick Lamar this year though?

Kendrick played in February and then did EP. its hardly the same as playing EP and Dublin, both of which would be "fall 2019".

And, of course, as I'm sure someone will point out, Florence + the Machine headlined EP and played Dublin a few years ago within a few days of each other but it is far, far more common that bands don't do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gauralordon

https://www.nme.com/news/music/fleetwood-mac-2019-tour-uk-european-wembley-stadium-dublin-tickets-2392404

Well that’s my dream destroyed :( doubt they’d come back in September

https://www.nme.com/news/music/fleetwood-mac-2019-tour-uk-european-wembley-stadium-dublin-tickets-2392404

Well that’s my dream destroyed :( doubt they’d come back in September

They're too expensive. Glastonbury couldn't afford them in 2015 so the Isle of Wight shelled out the extra cash for them. A cert for Glasto in 2019/20 though.

And I'm surprised they're playing somewhere as small as the RDS, though they'll undoubtedly make up for the lack of numbers with the pricing. Still wanna go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    They're too expensive. Glastonbury couldn't afford them in 2015 so the Isle of Wight shelled out the extra cash for them. A cert for Glasto in 2019/20 though.

Glastonbury don’t pay much for any headliners. Coldplay apparently only got £200k, a pittance considering what they’d get elsewhere.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Glastonbury don’t pay much for any headliners. Coldplay apparently only got £200k, a pittance considering what they’d get elsewhere.

Fleetwood Mac turned them down in 2015 as not paying enough. Eavis has always wanted them and has probably shelled out for next year or 2020. He won't have got them cheap. And he probably paid well over his usual for the Stones in 2013.

Glasto was always able to pay less than other festivals because the additional boost in album sales meant that acts could make their money that way instead. I wonder has the total fall off in the physical sales market affected that?

No doubt its still a big deal for a lot of acts to play Glastonbury and you'd get a bit of a bump but nowhere near what it would have been previously so would be curious.

Glasto was always able to pay less than other festivals because the additional boost in album sales meant that acts could make their money that way instead. I wonder has the total fall off in the physical sales market affected that?

No doubt its still a big deal for a lot of acts to play Glastonbury and you'd get a bit of a bump but nowhere near what it would have been previously so would be curious.

The fact that it's non-profit with cash going to three big charities counts for a lot when bands are agreeing fees. It's also the most prestigious headline slot and a big TV event. If it doesn't add to record sales it surely adds to future ticket sales.

Many acts are happy to do it for a much lower fee, say Coldplay, Muse & Arctics. Others who really want to do it will drop their fee as I guess U2 & Springsteen did.

However acts that the Eavises really want and took years to land (Stones, Fleetwood Mac) would have negotiated a sizeable fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Emily has categorically said that Fleetwood Mac aren't playing next year, so unless she was lying, they won't be there.

Emily has categorically said that Fleetwood Mac aren't playing next year, so unless she was lying, they won't be there.

Oh, Emily is it?

• Advertisement

They've been untruthful in the past. Often. But probably not this time. I reckon FM for the 50th anniversary. Though the dates are very very close to Glasto. An outside possibility they'd wait until Wembley was sold out to announce them?

Advertisement