Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Just back. Great night. Some energy in the room. Murder Capital we're brilliant again but suffered a little maybe from being on first, crowd not really warmed up but Fontaines and Shame had the place hopping. I stayed well back, nobody wants to see a 47 year old crowd-surfing, but most of the floor were moshing by the end. Shout out to the base players, the Shame guy must be bollixed after that performance. I'm putting in a request for a post punk tent at Stradbally next year. Who's with me?

yeah, bit of parquet courts, idles, slaves, shame, ought would go down well indeed

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I like Murder Capital but there's something off putting about their lead singer. He has a kind of Ian Curtis standing still // staring blankly into space between songs // singing off key schtick going on but it didn't work well with a not yet drunk crowd and the precise Funktion1 PA system in the Tivoli did them no favours. More stage time and they'll be a lot better!

Fontaines D.C. were really good. Missed them at the picnic for reasons I still quite don't understand, but they were fantastic. Great to see a solid Irish band and think I've wrangled a ticket for their headline gig in December!

Shame were awesome though. I think I saw them at body and soul and some of their set seemed vaguely familiar, but they really let rip in the tivoli, lead singer stage diving, singing while standing on the crowds shoulders, getting circles of death going - it was quite the spectacle.

The only flaw was that I had to work today. Would have been a belter on a Friday/Saturday night! This didn't seem to bother the crowd who were bursting with energy.
    Stillill42 wrote:
    I stayed well back, nobody wants to see a 47 year old crowd-surfing

That was you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Any word on acts or rumours floating about for next years edition yet, I wish they would announce as early as Mad Cool festival.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Just back. Great night. Some energy in the room. Murder Capital we're brilliant again but suffered a little maybe from being on first, crowd not really warmed up but Fontaines and Shame had the place hopping. I stayed well back, nobody wants to see a 47 year old crowd-surfing, but most of the floor were moshing by the end. Shout out to the base players, the Shame guy must be bollixed after that performance. I'm putting in a request for a post punk tent at Stradbally next year. Who's with me?

Great to hear it went well.

And re the tent it'd be nice to have some of the originals. We've had Magazine and Gang of Four so maybe time for Wire, The Pop Group, etc? Jerry Fish could do an all-dayer in his tent.

Any word on acts or rumours floating about for next years edition yet, I wish they would announce as early as Mad Cool festival.

All (kinda) educated guesswork at this stage. Amongst the possibilities who are touring are:

Muse
    The 1975
    First Aid Kit
    Mac DeMarco
    The Good, The Bad & The Queen
    Hozier
    Chemical Brothers
    Bon Iver
    Primal Scream
    Connan Mockasin
    John Grant
    Christine & the Queens
    LCD Soundsystem (if I keep mentioning them then the gods may listen)
    Kraftwerk (see above)

Plus many burgeoning Irish acts who should reappear:

Fontaines DC
    Touts
    The Murder Capital
    David Keenan
    Talos
    Seamus Fogarty

Again likely to be a mixed bag. I reckon mediocre top of bill, great mid and lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Great to hear it went well.

And re the tent it'd be nice to have some of the originals. We've had Magazine and Gang of Four so maybe time for Wire, The Pop Group, etc? Jerry Fish could do an all-dayer in his tent.

Jerry would love that. I was at the gig last night with my brother who was reminiscing about going to An Emotional Fish in the Tivoli, he thinks, and how much heavier they were than people remember. I met Jerry straight after Massive Attack at EP, just went up to him to compliment him on his line up last year and he was delighted I'd been to the Murder Capital, said he'd booked them ages ago, he was clearly a big fan. I'd say a day of that stuff would be right up his alley.

Jerry would love that. I was at the gig last night with my brother who was reminiscing about going to An Emotional Fish in the Tivoli, he thinks, and how much heavier they were than people remember. I met Jerry straight after Massive Attack at EP, just went up to him to compliment him on his line up last year and he was delighted I'd been to the Murder Capital, said he'd booked them ages ago, he was clearly a big fan. I'd say a day of that stuff would be right up his alley.

His email is available online. The campaign starts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Have I been in some coma!! How o how are the 1975's headline material! Done nothing since Chocolate 5-6 years ago, even that wasn't worthy of headline.

Shocked when I seen the R&L poster!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Have I been in some coma!! How o how are the 1975's headline material! Done nothing since Chocolate 5-6 years ago, even that wasn't worthy of headline.

Shocked when I seen the R&L poster!

Glastonbury festival skips a yesr every 6/7 years to let the ground fallow so that it recovers for the following year. I guess other festivals have more subtle ways of letting it fallow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'm not sure I could identify a single The 1975 song but them headlining Reading was the most inevitable announcement on the festival circuit this year. They're not too far away from being top billing on the Pyramid stage tbh.

• Advertisement

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I'm not sure I could identify a single The 1975 song but them headlining Reading was the most inevitable announcement on the festival circuit this year. They're not too far away from being top billing on the Pyramid stage tbh.

Wish it weren't so but you're spot on. Must be frustrating for the likes of Foals & Tame Impala who're not quite yet in the running for Pyramid headliner.

The 1975 headlining one of the nights at EP alas now seems pretty inevitable. Hopefully not the Friday when there are less alternatives about.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Northern lassie

Hi Guys

Have read a good few pages of this thread but don't have time for 79! Can anyone tell me when the EP tickets will be available to buy. Want to get some for Christmas presents. Can see I've missed the Early Bird ones but can't find a date for the next lot.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Hi Guys

Have read a good few pages of this thread but don't have time for 79! Can anyone tell me when the EP tickets will be available to buy. Want to get some for Christmas presents. Can see I've missed the Early Bird ones but can't find a date for the next lot.
    Thanks

Next year, around March.

S.M.B. wrote: »

See this is the bit I'm missing "Inevitably" how??
    Normally there's a fairly obvious build up, either they release a cracking album, maybe a realisation that their old material went under rated and/or had a massive defining moment while playing a high profile gig and blew the crowd out of the water!! None of these apply to the 1975's their a sub act at best. Picture most punters walking away after they've headlined, I just cant see them having anywhere near the same impact vs the Foo's for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Normally there's a fairly obvious build up, either they release a cracking album, maybe a realisation that their old material went under rated and/or had a massive defining moment while playing a high profile gig and blew the crowd out of the water!! None of these apply to the 1975's their a sub act at best. Picture most punters walking away after they've headlined, I just cant see them having anywhere near the same impact vs the Foo's for example.

We're getting older my friend. Look at picture this' slot this year..pulled one of the biggest crowds. The 1975 were number 1 in the USA with the last album and are a massive draw. I'm sure 5-10 years ago people were also having a meltdown about foos being over somebody too.

Toobz wrote: »
    We're getting older my friend. Look at picture this' slot this year..pulled one of the biggest crowds. The 1975 were number 1 in the USA with the last album and are a massive draw. I'm sure 5-10 years ago people were also having a meltdown about foos being over somebody too.

NME are saying the 1975s next album is their 'Radiohead OK Computer' moment.

Having listened to them to prepare for Mad cool Festival I can safely say I will avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Two no.1 albums (both around 1m copies sold), an almost certain no.1 album being released next week, another album being released early next year which will almost certainly be no.1 too, sold out arena tours, already headlined mid-sized festivals like Latitude, fanbase primarily in their teens/20s, which is R&L's bread and butter (and increasingly EP's).
    they're a pretty obvious booking and they're too big now to be subbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

^ this

Add to that it's in a festivals like R&Ls best interest to find new bands to take the mantle from the endless series of bands who rose to fame pushing 20 years.

They're crying out for a band like The 1975 and will be hoping those upcoming albums deliver.

Similar to Glastonbury and Stromzy.

They've a strong history with the festival. They're headlining Reading & Leeds the weekend before. They're enormous right now, easily selling out two nights at the O2 in London & the 3Arena. Far from my taste but it would be a great surprise if Melvin Benn hadn't them down for headlining Stradbally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    They've a strong history with the festival. They're headlining Reading & Leeds the weekend before. They're enormous right now, easily selling out two nights at the O2 in London & the 3Arena. Far from my taste but it would be a great surprise if Melvin Benn hadn't them down for headlining Stradbally.

What I love about EP is when I hear of a headliner for next year that i have next to no interest in seeing I immediately think it'll mean one less awful clash to think about. There's always 2 or 3 really solid options elsewhere when the headliners are on... apart from maybe Friday when I'm just too generally excited about being at the Picnic to care :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Mucker46

What I love about EP is when I hear of a headliner for next year that i have next to no interest in seeing I immediately think it'll mean one less awful clash to think about. There's always 2 or 3 really solid options elsewhere when the headliners are on... apart from maybe Friday when I'm just too generally excited about being at the Picnic to care :)

Totally agree. Always lots of bands at EP that don't float my boat but always plenty that do and not worried if they are not headliners, mind you generally at least one headliner I will go to. This year was one of my favourite Esp despite "crap" lineup. Looking forward to announcements and being initially disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Having listened to them to prepare for Mad cool Festival I can safely say I will avoid them.

I don't know, you could be missing out on genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

NME hasn't been relevant in about twenty years!

Effects wrote: »
    I don't know, you could be missing out on genius.

That's an Ariana Grande cover.

Don't know if that's representative of them.

sweetie wrote: »
    NME hasn't been relevant in about twenty years!

Very much agree with this ^

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

That's an Ariana Grande cover.

Don't know if that's representative of them.

You're right. I should probably judge them on this instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Effects wrote: »
    You're right. I should probably judge them on this instead.

tenor.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

No, they're not. They were quoting from an interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

tenor.gif

There is nothing funnier on Earth than that Jim Carey gif!

Advertisement