Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭PrairieDawn

Its very expensive coming up to Christmas. Esp since I missed the loyalty tickets.
    But If I dont go it will be so hard to deal with living in Ireland in the month running up to it. Ads everywhere!

I also just noticed Smashing pumpkins are doing a European festival circuit in 2019...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Stillill42 wrote: »
    This has legs. Put me down for 20 if you heckle Gavin James.

Some people thought i was Gavin James last year :pac::pac: The joys of being ginger and having a beard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

thebusher wrote: »
    This is nothing more than getting the jump on ATN regarding ticket sales and cash in the bank.

Dont expect any earlier announcements about the line up.

They've admitted it's due to the VAT increase

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

They've admitted it's due to the VAT increase

They also state: "Full line-up will be revealed in the New Year"

We know that is not going to happen. I assume the year is no longer new in March and that won't be the full line up either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

They also state: "Full line-up will be revealed in the New Year"

We know that is not going to happen. I assume the year is no longer new in March and that won't be the full line up either.

Well, technically, 2019 is a new year. So technically, revealing all in May would mean they're not technically lying.

Technically.

:pac:

It'll be March for the first announcement I'd say. Timeline-wise, I'd say it'll be quite similar to this year. They rarely deviate too much to be fair.

• Advertisement

Well, technically, 2019 is a new year. So technically, revealing all in May would mean they're not technically lying.

Technically.

:pac:

It'll be March for the first announcement I'd say. Timeline-wise, I'd say it'll be quite similar to this year. They rarely deviate too much to be fair.

look .. I am mister pedantic around here.

let's go with Collins Dictionary definition:
    New Year

1. uncountable noun [oft the NOUN]
    New Year or the New Year is the time when people celebrate the start of a year.

Happy New Year, everyone.
    The restaurant was closed over the New Year.
    He returned home each year to celebrate Christmas and New Year with his family.

2. singular noun
    The New Year is the first few weeks of a year.

Isabel was expecting their baby in the New Year.
    The shortages could lead the government to raise prices before the New Year.

so "technically", no. March is not the New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 CantonaGod

Pink Moon Camping have gone back on sale today - prices have jumped from last year :mad:.

There is a 50% deposit scheme available.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

CantonaGod wrote: »
    Pink Moon Camping have gone back on sale today - prices have jumped from last year :mad:.

There is a 50% deposit scheme available.

Yep, just secured a 2 person for me and the missus. €125 each is steep but it's very worth it when the festival comes around. I rambled through Hendrix to get a few cans this year. Like a bomb went off in the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Some people thought i was Gavin James last year :pac::pac: The joys of being ginger and having a beard

No wonder you were furious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Yep, just secured a 2 person for me and the missus. €125 each is steep but it's very worth it when the festival comes around. I rambled through Hendrix to get a few cans this year. Like a bomb went off in the place.

I don't know if Hendrix was always like that or i have just gotten older and notice it more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,725 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

tried to pick up a 2 man basic one in Pink Moon - didn't see them coming on sale at all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I don't know if Hendrix was always like that or i have just gotten older and notice it more.

It was always like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

It was always like that

Yeah, figures. I'll go back to sleep in my rocking chair now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

exilec wrote: »
    Trying to find out more info on this . Can someone please post a link or something please . Absolutely love Doves .
    Thanks

https://twitter.com/dovesmusicblog/status/1068474807501631489

probably more likely for something like B&S or ATN than EP though...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Would be delighted if doves were announced

• Registered Users Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

look .. I am mister pedantic around here.

let's go with Collins Dictionary definition:

so "technically", no. March is not the New Year.

I think your right, so maybe similar to the end of 2014/2015 drip feed but going more in line with a Primavera type announcement of the full bill maybe on 3rd January or something like that.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I'd say they're just using "new year" as a way of saying "next year" and we won't have the (very incomplete) lineup until March or whatever, same as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

Rfrip wrote: »

I remember walking into my first festival, I think it was Witness and Doves 'Pounding' was playing. Will always remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I saw the Doves at the RockNess festival in 2010 and they were good, would be a nice addition to EP.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I'd say they're just using "new year" as a way of saying "next year" and we won't have the (very incomplete) lineup until March or whatever, same as usual.

I agree .. i was being facetious about them announcing the full lineup in the New Year. Not a hope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Popular misconception, Noel. Lot's of diversity, something for every palate.

I'm surprised at you, Kg. I'm going to put that down to your natural disappointment with not being present. Reading indeed. Have you seen the state of the Reading line-up thus far? You know how little the headliners mean in the grand scheme of things. It'll be magnificent and you know it.

I meant the headliners would look more like it not the festival itself. I’ve never been to R&L so I don’t even really know the demographic. They’ll defo get some good bands in but I can imagine they will aim the headliners towards the younger/mass appeal.

Please don’t be disappointed in me I am trying my best not to be bitter miserable and jealous but it’s hard :)

Beside I like twenty one pilots and I’m over 30..... there will be something for everyone. I’m just hoping there’s more at ATN this year where’ll I’ll shuffle myself off to. (Bitterly while miserable and jealous)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I agree .. i was being facetious about them announcing the full lineup in the New Year. Not a hope!

Thai new year maybe.

I don't really mind the odd drip drip announcement as long as we have a good idea a month or two before the festival

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Interpol are down to play Best Kept Secret next June. If they are going to be knocking about Europe they’d be a very welcome addition. They absolutely blew the roof off the Olympia last week.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

thebusher wrote: »
    This is nothing more than getting the jump on ATN regarding ticket sales and cash in the bank.

Im not making any comparison between the quality of the respective festivals, I'll probanly go to ATN or B&S next year as I cant go to EP, and it would be great if ATN could be a serious competitor to EP in years to come, but...

....ATN is 12,500 tickets and hasnt sold out after 3 months. EP is 57,500 tickets this year and will sell out straight away.

So suggesting that Festival Republic are changing it up out of fear of ATN is a bit like suggesting that the Czar of Russia changed his plans when he realised that the Skibbereen Eagle had its eye on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Interpol are down to play Best Kept Secret next June. If they are going to be knocking about Europe they’d be a very welcome addition. They absolutely blew the roof off the Olympia last week.

Only a year and a bit since they last played, which was only two years after since they played previously.

Like them a lot (on album) but cannot see them being booked for a while.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Im not making any comparison between the quality of the respective festivals, I'll probanly go to ATN or B&S next year as I cant go to EP, and it would be great if ATN could be a serious competitor to EP in years to come, but...

....ATN is 12,500 tickets and hasnt sold out after 3 months. EP is 57,500 tickets this year and will sell out straight away.

So suggesting that Festival Republic are changing it up out of fear of ATN is a bit like suggesting that the Czar of Russia changed his plans when he realised that the Skibbereen Eagle had its eye on him.

Its also own to being ATN's first year and still need to build up a brand name. Still think ATN need to announce before xmas since some people to get the extra sales after EP fully sell out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Rfrip wrote: »

Same here. Caught some of their set in 2005 but I missed most cos of Kraftwerk if I remember correctly? Would happily watch all of the 2005 lineup again.

If they sell out on Monday then what have they to gain by not releasing a few names in Jan? And then bigger announcements just before ATN are due to reveal acts.

kg703 wrote: »
    I meant the headliners would look more like it not the festival itself. I’ve never been to R&L so I don’t even really know the demographic. They’ll defo get some good bands in but I can imagine they will aim the headliners towards the younger/mass appeal.

Please don’t be disappointed in me I am trying my best not to be bitter miserable and jealous but it’s hard :)

Beside I like twenty one pilots and I’m over 30..... there will be something for everyone. I’m just hoping there’s more at ATN this year where’ll I’ll shuffle myself off to. (Bitterly while miserable and jealous)

It's not going to turn into a kidfest. There has been a swing towards that for the past couple of years but greatly balanced out by acts appealing to older punters. Of the three headliners this year two were vintage bands (Massive Attack & The Prodigy) and one appealed across the age range (Kendrick Lamar). 2017 again had two older acts (Duran Duran & A Tribe Called Quest) and arguably another act that appealed to all demographics (The XX).

EP is not suddenly going to have three headliners that have far greater appeal to youngsters, though I expect at least one (The 1975). Reading it ain't.

• Advertisement

ATN is 20k this year, up from 15k last year. The intent is there to surpass EP and the latter realise that. Hence the timing of the last Picnic announcement this year on the first day of ATN. And the ticket sales pre-Xmas to get a jump on ATN. They are a direct competitor, EP is worried and has acted accordingly to try to kill them off early. They're clearly aware that in another recession two such festivals won't survive and they're ruthlessly do all they can to make EP continue.

Advertisement