Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Come on Picnic thread ENTERTAIN ME!!

Two weeks tomorrow and you'll get all the entertainment you need!

Or if you can't wait, simply re read last years thread at announcement day - it'll be the same:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Two weeks tomorrow and you'll get all the entertainment you need!

Or if you can't wait, simply re read last years thread at announcement day - it'll be the same:)

I'll have my popcorn at the ready, the FaceBook page in particular is very entertaining on the first lineup announcement date

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Is it confirmed that the line up announcement is in 2 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Is it confirmed that the line up announcement is in 2 weeks?

march 13th

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

march 13th

perfect timing that, release the list of shame and then bugger off on a long weekend to avoid the nuclear sh1tfest that will ensue on social media :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,020 ✭✭✭endainoz

perfect timing that, release the list of shame and then bugger off on a long weekend to avoid the nuclear sh1tfest that will ensue on social media

They'll ignore it either way, and rightfully so, it's still sells out every year. Nothing for them to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

endainoz wrote: »
    They'll ignore it either way, and rightfully so, it's still sells out every year. Nothing for them to worry about.

They think ahead to sales for 2020, 2021, etc. Hence we're guaranteed big acts every year or they lose their hold as the premier fest in the country. You may not like the lineup but come late August it'll always be full of major acts and eclectic artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

B and Soul line up out tonight, might rule out a few. Talos seems to be first name out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Eod100 wrote: »
    B and Soul line up out tonight, might rule out a few. Talos seems to be first name out

Nothing at the top of the list that I would be pushed about seeing at EP and expect many of the Irish acts lower down to do both. Another announcement out of the way roll on March 13

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Mucker46 wrote: »
    Nothing at the top of the list that I would be pushed about seeing at EP and expect many of the Irish acts lower down to do both. Another announcement out of the way roll on March 13

Yeah seems a bit underwhelming for 10 year anniversary bar Santigold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭homosapien91

Re Body & Soul lineup, Mano Le Tough does a good DJ set

Seathrun66 wrote:
    They think ahead to sales for 2020, 2021, etc. Hence we're guaranteed big acts every year or they lose their hold as the premier fest in the country. You may not like the lineup but come late August it'll always be full of major acts and eclectic artists.

I never had issues with the lineup, have to keep the hunzos happy too. People will moan regardless of what they announce anyway, so much expectations from every demographic. No fear of the top spot being taken any time soon.

What I find amazing is that there hasnt been a new majour Oxegen type festival back yet. The demand is clearly there for the under 25 ish age group. The same type of people that couldn't care less about trailer park or body and soul or other voices etc. All they want are 'big' names.

Oxegen surely made good money in it's hey day of the mid 00s when it too sold out a couple of times before the lineup was announced if memory serves me right? That was the ability to sell put between 60,000 and 80,000 tickets at it's peak, no small feat.

I never had issues with the lineup, have to keep the hunzos happy too. People will moan regardless of what they announce anyway, so much expectations from every demographic. No fear of the top spot being taken any time soon.

What I find amazing is that there hasnt been a new majour Oxegen type festival back yet. The demand is clearly there for the under 25 ish age group. The same type of people that couldn't care less about trailer park or body and soul or other voices etc. All they want are 'big' names.

Oxegen surely made good money in it's hey day of the mid 00s when it too sold out a couple of times before the lineup was announced if memory serves me right? That was the ability to sell put between 60,000 and 80,000 tickets at it's peak, no small feat.

Longitude takes some of that crowd. And the Picnic also. It has doubled in size since the days of Oxegen. The latter didn't outlast the recession so maybe promoters are afraid of taking a chance on another big festival that wouldn't be recession proof. You're right, the demand is there but in an over-saturated market it'd be a hell of a gamble to start another mega festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

if they just made Longitude Camping with that line-up plus maybe one or two more names in a different location i think they'd likely do huge numbers with the younger market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

This is something I have thought about many times but I think MCD are smart in that they know people will go and see the "big" artists on their own. Sure look at last summer with the amount of concerts on in the city there was a huge saturation.

If I recall correctly there was a concert on in the Aviva and the RDS on the same night last June sometime.

What Oxegen used to do was share the lineup with T in the Park so it made sense logistically for artists to play. This could easily be done with the new TRNSMT festival but as mentioned I think MCD will choose margins over value.

PCros wrote: »
    This is something I have thought about many times but I think MCD are smart in that they know people will go and see the "big" artists on their own. Sure look at last summer with the amount of concerts on in the city there was a huge saturation.

If I recall correctly there was a concert on in the Aviva and the RDS on the same night last June sometime.

What Oxegen used to do was share the lineup with T in the Park so it made sense logistically for artists to play. This could easily be done with the new TRNSMT festival but as mentioned I think MCD will choose margins over value.

Yea plus the hip hop and rap is massive at the moment hence why Longitude has gone for that style

Yea plus the hip hop and rap is massive at the moment hence why Longitude has gone for that style

Oxegen covered rap too, Eminem, Jay - z etc. I'm probably showing my age by saying I don't think the Longtitude headliners would be anywhere near as big as the Oxegen ones were. It was still more of a guitar based festival too. At the time I suppose indie music was much bigger than it is now but the big names they got are still going strong, Kings of Leon, Muse, Snow Patrol, Killers etc etc.

This may sound a bit nostalgic from reading but I served my time at these gigs and wouldn't be one bit interested in going to something like it now!

Oxegen covered rap too, Eminem, Jay - z etc. I'm probably showing my age by saying I don't think the Longtitude headliners would be anywhere near as big as the Oxegen ones were. It was still more of a guitar based festival too. At the time I suppose indie music was much bigger than it is now but the big names they got are still going strong, Kings of Leon, Muse, Snow Patrol, Killers etc etc.

This may sound a bit nostalgic from reading but I served my time at these gigs and wouldn't be one bit interested in going to something like it now!

Oh i agree that the headliners at Longitude wouldnt be as big as the old Oxegen headliners. Yea Oxegen mostly catered to the guitar based bands overall with a mix of different genres also on the line up including rap/hip-hop.

So what big acts are very likely on 13 March? The 1975, Hozier and Tame Impala must surely all be odds on & Chemical Brothers' dates imply a return.

Bedwetter stuff from Kodaline &The Script?

EP too late in the Summer for The Strokes & Smashing Pumpkins?

The Specials possibly annonced after the April gigs in the Olympia.

Any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

'KLF' - seem to have come out of retirement recently - if they do a bit of gigging again - they'd be a great bit of 90s nostalgia (just need the 80's, 70's and 2019's...…………) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I don't think it will be a classic EP lineup, at least not for me judging by who is around. Over the past couple of years we have tended to share around 8-10 acts with these festivals so maybe having a look at those lineups might give a few ideas:

End of the Road Festival
    Reading/Leeds Festival
    Lowlands Festival
    Pukkelpop

The 1975, Tame Impala, Twenty One Pilots, The Streets, Anderson Paak

Billie Ellish, Courtney Barnett, Deerhunter, James Blake, Franz Ferdinand, Parcels, Mitski

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Judes wrote: »
    'KLF' - seem to have come out of retirement recently - if they do a bit of gigging again - they'd be a great bit of 90s nostalgia (just need the 80's, 70's and 2019's...…………) :D

They're not doing any gigs at all, shame...

what time is love oooEEEEEEoooooEEEEEE

(hoping we could get a-Ha / MSP /Doves announced)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

Seathrun66 wrote: »

i can't see them going that far - Hozier would cover one of those big irish act slots, usually the Coronas are there.

showpony1 wrote: »
    i can't see them going that far - Hozier would cover one of those big irish act slots, usually the Coronas are there.

Kodaline did play a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I don't think it will be a classic EP lineup, at least not for me judging by who is around. Over the past couple of years we have tended to share around 8-10 acts with these festivals so maybe having a look at those lineups might give a few ideas:

End of the Road Festival
    Reading/Leeds Festival
    Lowlands Festival
    Pukkelpop

The 1975, Tame Impala, Twenty One Pilots, The Streets, Anderson Paak

Billie Ellish, Courtney Barnett, Deerhunter, James Blake, Franz Ferdinand, Parcels, Mitski

C'mon Ferris are you deliberately ignoring Aphex Twin, he is in on the running too with the Rock en Seine announcement, another festival that has shared the odd headliner in the past with EP.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Stillill42

C'mon Ferris are you deliberately ignoring Aphex Twin, he is in on the running too with the Rock en Seine announcement, another festival that has shared the odd headliner in the past with EP.

Don't do it to yourself, BD. It's the hope that kills you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Would love if he was there for your sake bodhrandude and he has to be in the running, but didn't want to include him to get your hopes up!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

BD wins €175M lotto.....BD's festival;

I'll start!!!
    Banter rating, minimum score for entry 8/10
    Apex twin
    Freeflow booze
    Apex twin
    A body and soul trad area in the centre
    Apex twin..
    Continue!!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭glennponder

rubick wrote: »
    I've saw them at Slane 1998, Olympia twice, Belsonic 2009 and opening The Other Stage at Glastonbury 2016. Every time simply amazing, whether they are playing old stuff or new material.

I didn't like the slane set, they completely toned it down which didn't suit the venue, was at those Olympia gigs when Tim went climbing, class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Paddy2012

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    So what big acts are very likely on 13 March? The 1975, Hozier and Tame Impala must surely all be odds on & Chemical Brothers' dates imply a return.

EP too late in the Summer for The Strokes & Smashing Pumpkins?

The Specials possibly annonced after the April gigs in the Olympia.

Any others?

Anderson Paak possibly and maybe Roybn and Aphex Twin, at least they're the acts I'm most hoping for.

Advertisement