Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Want to see - Tame Impala
    Want to avoid - Black-Eyed Peas, Kings of Leon
    Guilty Pleasure - Blancmange

And isn't it a tad unfair to lump in Hozier with the likes of Kodaline, Gavin James, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

We are one week out from the first announcement.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Want to see - Tame Impala
    Want to avoid - Black-Eyed Peas, Kings of Leon
    Guilty Pleasure - Blancmange

And isn't it a tad unfair to lump in Hozier with the likes of Kodaline, Gavin James, etc?

Thought his first album ok but new stuff awful boring. But agree a step above Kodaline and Gavin James

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah I don't get hozier hate either...

He may not be everyone's cup of tea but at least he's original and diverse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Stillill42

sydthebeat wrote: »

A bit of thought and soul in the songs. He's a mile away from the Gavin Jamessss of this world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭fourmations

he's a strange one for me, marmite within one artist
    i really like a few songs but really despise most of the others, no middle ground
    Nina cried Power was horrendous but the latest song is nice,
    I hated "take me to church" but really liked "to eden"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

i really like a few songs but really despise most of the others, no middle ground

'Cherry wine' for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

New Hozier album is a real dud.

I think he's got a great voice and thought he had the potential to do something really interesting after the debut, which had 4/5 very good tracks, but it looks like they just settled on a formula and repeated over and over on this album. Slow and bluesy builds to gospel choir or large chorus layered over with his voice. It's just really dull. He worked with the Kings of Leon producer on it and its a little like their later albums where they just established a formula and repeated over and over.

Hopefully album number 3 can be more interesting. No doubt he's far more interesting than Gavin James, Kodaline, Walking on Cars, etc but it doesn't surprise me to see people bored of him - especially if you work in an office with the radio on all day!

EDIT: Just saw the Pitchfork review of the album on Twitter after I sent this - https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/hozier-wasteland-baby/
    The man who took us to church tries to take us to the same church, again, 14 times, six years later.

I don't always agree with their reviews but this mirrors my feelings quite well!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Eden is a great song.

Stillill42 wrote: »
    A bit of thought and soul in the songs. He's a mile away from the Gavin Jamessss of this world.

Went to see him when he played the main stage in 2014. Found it mundane bar a couple of tracks. I'd be willing to give him another look but not in any great expectation. Would get a bad allergic rash if I went anywhere near some of the other mentioned acts.

• Advertisement

New Hozier album is a real dud.

I think he's got a great voice and thought he had the potential to do something really interesting after the debut, which had 4/5 very good tracks, but it looks like they just settled on a formula and repeated over and over on this album. Slow and bluesy builds to gospel choir or large chorus layered over with his voice. It's just really dull. He worked with the Kings of Leon producer on it and its a little like their later albums where they just established a formula and repeated over and over.

Hopefully album number 3 can be more interesting. No doubt he's far more interesting than Gavin James, Kodaline, Walking on Cars, etc but it doesn't surprise me to see people bored of him - especially if you work in an office with the radio on all day!

EDIT: Just saw the Pitchfork review of the album on Twitter after I sent this - https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/hozier-wasteland-baby/

I don't always agree with their reviews but this mirrors my feelings quite well!

Not listened to the album but that is a harsh review. Am wary of Pitchfork anyway as they seem to take pleasure in unnecessarily slating artists. Flaming Lips once got 0.0, Black Kids (very decent) debut got 3.3, Boy With The Arab Strap 0.8, Jet debut 0.0, Welcome to the Monkeyhouse 3.3, another Dandy Warhols album 1.2, no more than 3.9 for the last three Eels albums.

I may not be referring to any masterworks above but the reviewers seem like churlish, spoiled and frustrated Yankee hipster kids damning musicians for their own selfish personal pleasure. I thus avoid Pitchfork like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Not listened to the album but that is a harsh review. Am wary of Pitchfork anyway as they seem to take pleasure in unnecessarily slating artists. Flaming Lips once got 0.0, Black Kids (very decent) debut got 3.3, Boy With The Arab Strap 0.8, Jet debut 0.0, Welcome to the Monkeyhouse 3.3, another Dandy Warhols album 1.2, no more than 3.9 for the last three Eels albums.

I may not be referring to any masterworks above but the reviewers seem like churlish, spoiled and frustrated Yankee hipster kids damning musicians for their own selfish personal pleasure. I thus avoid Pitchfork like the plague.

Sums up exactly my feelings about Pitchfork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Yeah that's all pretty fair - as I said, I don't always agree with them but the Hozier review is pretty close to how I feel too.

The ratings are nonsense - I read that it's an average taken from individual staff ratings but by that measure, that Flaming Lips album must have gotten 0 from everyone and that makes no ****ing sense.

Their review of James Blake this year was disgraceful too. Gave it a 5ish when everyone else was being largely positive. Nobody is suggesting that everyone has to like an album but, as Blake himself pointed out, he had a go at them on Twitter last year over labelling him as "sad boy music" while he was dealing with mental health issues and they have never forgiven him for it. It was quite transparent that they were just trying to have a pop at him over daring to stand up to them!

Also saw a very interesting criticism of them in recent weeks about them entering the production area. They pressed a re-run of music from Slowdive, accompanied by reviews of "classic" Slowdive albums and how important the band is and, subsequently, booked them to play prominent slots at all the Pitchfork festivals. Now, I like Slowdive but how is any band supposed to compete in an indie sphere when a music publication is booking the festival, reviewing the acts and paying to manufacture the records!?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Yeah that's all pretty fair - as I said, I don't always agree with them but the Hozier review is pretty close to how I feel too.

The ratings are nonsense - I read that it's an average taken from individual staff ratings but by that measure, that Flaming Lips album must have gotten 0 from everyone and that makes no ****ing sense.

Their review of James Blake this year was disgraceful too. Gave it a 5ish when everyone else was being largely positive. Nobody is suggesting that everyone has to like an album but, as Blake himself pointed out, he had a go at them on Twitter last year over labelling him as "sad boy music" while he was dealing with mental health issues and they have never forgiven him for it. It was quite transparent that they were just trying to have a pop at him over daring to stand up to them!

Just looking at their 8+ reviews doesn't exactly fill one with confidence:

https://pitchfork.com/best/high-scoring-albums/?page=3

A few classics and some ok new stuff, but generally speaking they seem to go for obscure or unusual albums. Which is fine, I guess, but there is a big distinction between interesting and good!
    Also saw a very interesting criticism of them in recent weeks about them entering the production area. They pressed a re-run of music from Slowdive, accompanied by reviews of "classic" Slowdive albums and how important the band is and, subsequently, booked them to play prominent slots at all the Pitchfork festivals. Now, I like Slowdive but how is any band supposed to compete in an indie sphere when a music publication is booking the festival, reviewing the acts and paying to manufacture the records!?

I suppose it's no worse than them currently having to battle the big labels on the one hand and the spotifys and places wanting them to play for free on the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Have found pitchfork to be full of shít for about 10 years now :pac:

The Hozier review may be accurate. 4.8 isn't as crazily low as some of the above-mentioned and may be a fair summary.

Very good points on Slowdive and James Blake.

I just stick to publications that generally don't seem to have any axes to grind - Uncut, Hot Press, Irish Times, Guardian and Mojo do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭fourmations

Any Needle Drop followers here
    while we're on the subject?

Although, he's had a few reviews that i wholeheartedly disagreed with
    I find him generally pretty good and entertaining,
    at least he's articulate on his views even if you don't agree with him

cheers

Any Needle Drop followers here
    while we're on the subject?

Although, he's had a few reviews that i wholeheartedly disagreed with
    I find him generally pretty good and entertaining,
    at least he's articulate on his views even if you don't agree with him

cheers

Not aware of it but checking out now and seems good. All I'd ask for is someone to be respectful and fair to the work of artists. It's not that much to expect is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

Their 8+ reviews include the 1975 &lil Peep....

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

Want : James and/or Blondie

No thanks : Kodaline etc

Guilty Pleasure : Sugababes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Want : Last minute Beta Band reunion

No thanks : Imagine Dragons

Guilty Pleasure : Betty Boo

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

thebusher wrote: »
    Want : James and/or Blondie

No thanks : Kodaline etc

Guilty Pleasure : Sugababes

caught the sugababes at oxegen back in '08...... warm friday afternoon.... i still smile :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭The Davestator

caught the sugababes at oxegen back in '08...... warm friday afternoon.... i still smile :D

There must not have been any artists anywhere else in 08 - must have been the best line up ever in Ireland? (Subjective obviously) My one and only Oxygen was a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Want: Bran van 3000 / Amon Tobin / Gary Numan

No thanks: anything containing a Gallagher brother.

Guilty Pleasure: Kylie / Madonna / Dolly Parton

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Want : Sun Kil Moon or Kurt Vile

No thanks : None really (there's plenty I just wouldn't bother me hoop going to see though).

Guilty Pleasure : B-52's

• Registered Users Posts: 49 CantonaGod

Want ; Gang of Youths.

No thanks. Pete Doherty

Guilty Pleasure. Macklemore :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Want: David Byrne/Radiohead/LCD soundsystem

No thanks: any of the Moirish stuff mentioned above

Guilty pleasure: hall and oates

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

sweetie wrote: »

Guilty pleasure: hall and oates