Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

omg this sounds amazing

As Electric Picnic's various artful hubs all around the festival find places in our hearts as firm favourites, this year we are beyond excited to share an exhilarating new world: FREETOWN.

Construction will shortly get underway to create a whole new town within the festival's mind-blowing creative acreage, located on the pastureland formerly occupied by the Oscar Wilde Campsite. Anchored by Terminus, a brand new 8,000 capacity mega-stage for electronica and dance (presented as an Eastern Bloc architectural colossus), Freetown will rise from the ground for just 4 days of the year. Also within its walls, the labyrinthine streets of Providencia will unveil catch-it-while-you-can Latino life down every alley-way, around every corner, while on its outskirts, Spike Island - a swamphut jumping with seisiúns of slip-jigs, The Oasis, an improvised home-place for the gaggle of idealists and a brand new Cirque on the edge of town where death defying, jaw-dropping acts of edgy spectacle unfold.

In Freetown, fizzing neon will blink promises at you, and towering billboards may claim truths. Brought to you by the Electric Picnic team that created Berlinhaus , Salty Dog and Trailer Park, we look forward to unveiling something completely thrilling for you.

We welcome Freetown to our Electric Picnic world, a world full of surprises with its music, culture, imagination, with laughter and magic around each nook and cranny, where you happen up many wonderful areas ……Body and Soul – the creative oasis and pulsating heart of the festival, the whimsical world of The Hazel Wood deep in the forest, the reggae world of Trenchtown and the long abandoned city of Anachronica, the theatrical and the debauched Jerry Fish Electric Sideshow, the engaging spoken word arena of Mindfield and Theatre of Food serving homage to all things gastronomic, the irreverent, satirical Comedy Tent and our very special Comedy Night with its all-female line-up on Thursday night for those early arrivés !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Disappointed that no Tame Impala, Flaming Lips or Wilco but a good chance they'll be announced later as Blur and others were in the past. Prodigy and Picture This last year. EP will continue to time announcements to disrupt ATN so if TI are playing we may not hear about it until August. Not a great set of acts for me so far but I expect it to be fully fleshed out in the next few months and there are a fair few goodies:

The Strokes
    Courtney Barnett
    Michael Kiwanuka
    Let's Eat Grandma
    Echo and the Bunnymen
    Parquet Courts
    The Streets
    Christine & the Queens
    James Blake

So not so bad but The Strokes have really saved the top tier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Rfrip wrote: »
    omg this sounds amazing

As Electric Picnic's various artful hubs all around the festival find places in our hearts as firm favourites, this year we are beyond excited to share an exhilarating new world: FREETOWN.

Construction will shortly get underway to create a whole new town within the festival's mind-blowing creative acreage, located on the pastureland formerly occupied by the Oscar Wilde Campsite. Anchored by Terminus, a brand new 8,000 capacity mega-stage for electronica and dance (presented as an Eastern Bloc architectural colossus), Freetown will rise from the ground for just 4 days of the year. Also within its walls, the labyrinthine streets of Providencia will unveil catch-it-while-you-can Latino life down every alley-way, around every corner, while on its outskirts, Spike Island - a swamphut jumping with seisiúns of slip-jigs, The Oasis, an improvised home-place for the gaggle of idealists and a brand new Cirque on the edge of town where death defying, jaw-dropping acts of edgy spectacle unfold.

In Freetown, fizzing neon will blink promises at you, and towering billboards may claim truths. Brought to you by the Electric Picnic team that created Berlinhaus , Salty Dog and Trailer Park, we look forward to unveiling something completely thrilling for you.

We welcome Freetown to our Electric Picnic world, a world full of surprises with its music, culture, imagination, with laughter and magic around each nook and cranny, where you happen up many wonderful areas ……Body and Soul – the creative oasis and pulsating heart of the festival, the whimsical world of The Hazel Wood deep in the forest, the reggae world of Trenchtown and the long abandoned city of Anachronica, the theatrical and the debauched Jerry Fish Electric Sideshow, the engaging spoken word arena of Mindfield and Theatre of Food serving homage to all things gastronomic, the irreverent, satirical Comedy Tent and our very special Comedy Night with its all-female line-up on Thursday night for those early arrivés !

basically a rip-off of the SE corner at Glastonbury/Boomtown

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Very meh for me, good to see mitski, sons of kemet and let's eat grandma though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

honestly not joking.

This doesn't make any sense to me. Please don't think I'm being rude, but what age are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

I'll take it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

well... why nick the sh1t bits?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Tame Impala & Chemical Brothers possibly added later so the top tier may look much better.

Also foals possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Does an extra batch of tickets go on sale or is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Probably be some more onsale at some stage from returns but if its sold out theyre unlikely to be holding them back on purpose, what would be the point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

but1er wrote: »
    Does an extra batch of tickets go on sale or is that it?

There's usually a Three sale or some such but if it's sold out then that's it for "official" selling, there could well though be ticket releases later on, best keep eye on ticketbastard and toutless (and here cos some of us will wind up flogging a spare)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

maximoose wrote: »
    No word on Kaleidoscope yet?

No but it looks like the one to be at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I am presuming the new stage in Oscar wilde is to totally replace the "rave in the woods" which had an issue with the flow of people the past few year.

I'm done with EP but it's good to see they are freshning things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Can I say I'm happy with a lot of the line up - I've never seen Florence so I'm looking forward to her - don't hate me - please...……….

I'm going to stay calm this year - as I reckon the 2nd announcement could bring a few nice names too.

90s nostalgia covered with Jarvis and Roisin and Echo and the Bunnymen kind of cover the 80s but need more old acts...……………

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gauralordon

Time to get cracking on an aul Spotify playlist

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kepler21

Yes indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This announcement doesn't grab me like previous ones and disappointed that Aphex isn't in there although he still could get added later like Blur in 2015 or the Prodigy last year.

Will check out, out of the lineup:
    The Strokes
    Four Tet (Amazing set at Life 2014)
    Yves Tumour
    Christine & the Queens
    James Blake
    Jarvis Cocker
    Courtney Barnett
    Maybe check out Echo & the Bunnymen (there's one of the legacy acts)
    Kolsch

Also a bit of exploring to do with the lineup so hopefully a few nice additions too, I like the idea of this new extended South East Corner basically EP's dance village area.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Yep. I'd appreciate some recommendations. always good here. I only know Let's Eat Grandma & Sons of Kemet on the lowest tier. Both highly recommended btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Ah it's a good lineup in fairness and once again they cater to a wide range of tastes there. Whether you like them or not the headliners are all big names that will attract big crowds, undercard has a lot of strong names too. Definitely not as much crap as I was expecting and seems like they have done a decent job of catering to the older demographic too? The Strokes were unexpected.

On a personal level though there isn't a hell of a lot there for me. Really disappointed Tame Impala aren't on it, from looking at it so far there aren't any acts that I can see myself getting really excited for and only a handful I would go and see. Christine & the Queens, Shura, The Streets, Four Tet, Metronomy.. Maybe a couple of others if I start digging and hopefully a few more surprises to come. In fairness there wasn't a whole lot of acts I really liked touring this summer so couldn't have asked for much but god what I would have done to see someone like Tame Impala or Robyn in there.

Really excited to see this new area too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Nialler9 saying Robyn maybe playing IMMA apparently

https://twitter.com/Nialler9/status/1105805188827435012

• Advertisement

This announcement doesn't grab me like previous ones and disappointed that Aphex isn't in there although he still could get added later like Blur in 2015 or the Prodigy last year.

Will check out, out of the lineup:
    The Strokes
    Four Tet (Amazing set at Life 2014)
    Yves Tumour
    Christine & the Queens
    James Blake
    Jarvis Cocker
    Courtney Barnett
    Maybe check out Echo & the Bunnymen (there's one of the legacy acts)
    Kolsch

Also a bit of exploring to do with the lineup so hopefully a few nice additions too, I like the idea of this new extended South East Corner basically EP's dance village area.

Caught Four Tet at Field Day a couple of years ago before I left London. Hated the set, couldn't believe how much he'd changed from an edgy creator/remixer/producer to something slightly akin to Fatboy Slim. Maybe it was just me but the 45 mins I caught was poor and if I hear otherwise from posters here I'll give him another look.

But instead BD can you please sort out Aphex for the Electric Ireland stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I like the idea of this new extended South East Corner basically EP's dance village area.

If the capacity is only 8,000 it's going to be a bit of a mess, do they really think 50,000 people will be at the 1975 if someone like Fatboy is down in The East Village at the same time.
    Also makes it way to easy for the DS it'll be like shooting fish in a barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Yep. I'd appreciate some recommendations. always good here. I only know Let's Eat Grandma & Sons of Kemet on the lowest tier. Both highly recommended btw.

I didn't recognise anyone on the lowest tier so definitely going to check these two out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Burgerbuns11

Disappointing line up, boring line up.
    Hozier, Florence and 1975 all playing or played in Ireland in the past year.
    Seems like the same names being announced every year.
    Already seen most of ones I would be looking forward to seeing so I’m disappointed.
    Anyone thinking Tame Impala could still be announced? They would surely be headlining though?

Construction will shortly get underway to create a whole new town within the festival's mind-blowing creative acreage, located on the pastureland formerly occupied by the Oscar Wilde Campsite. Anchored by Terminus, a brand new 8,000 capacity mega-stage for electronica and dance (presented as an Eastern Bloc architectural colossus), Freetown will rise from the ground for just 4 days of the year.

Copied from Electric Picnic website. Some major map and layout changes coming!

https://www.electricpicnic.ie/news/take-me-electric-picnic-2019

Does this mean it will be outside the main area and thus alcoholically accessible from the campsites?

I'm excited to see what it will turn out to be.

As a first announcement its pretty good for me, at least 10 acts in there that I definitely want to see, before I start listening to the others. I'm like a kid in a candy store at work, hopping between acts on Spotify.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If the capacity is only 8,000 it's going to be a bit of a mess, do they really think 50,000 people will be at the 1975 if someone like Fatboy is down in The East Village at the same time.
    Also makes it way to easy for the DS it'll be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Dunno about that, sure it would be no different to DS walking about the Rave in the woods and the festival site in general, its usually dumbasses who have got wired or drunk too quickly anyway who openly flaunt their drugs that get caught.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭pah

Fairly underwhelming in line with the last few years. IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Kepler21 wrote: »
    Does this mean it will be outside the main area and thus alcoholically accessible from the campsites?

As a first announcement its pretty good for me, at least 10 acts in there that I definitely want to see, before I start listening to the others. I'm like a kid in a candy store at work, hopping between acts on Spotify.

From what I've heard its going to be inside the Arena. Same for Salty Dog & Trenchtown.

Playlist if people want.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gauralordon

Kepler21 wrote: »

I'm hoping so Kepler! I'm the same - delighted with life :)

Also just copped now that it says Freetown will be on for 4 days...possibly meaning it'll start on the Thursday night for all the early arrivals (myself included, can't recommend going down a night early enough)

• Advertisement

I'm hoping so Kepler! I'm the same - delighted with life :)

Also just copped now that it says Freetown will be on for 4 days...possibly meaning it'll start on the Thursday night for all the early arrivals (myself included, can't recommend going down a night early enough)

I hadn't seen that. I have a Thursday entry ticket so that would be brilliant.

Advertisement