Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Acosta wrote: »
    That New Order gig in 2006 at EP in 2006 was class. Probably the best gig of there's that I saw. The Cure are great and all but tbh I wasn't blown away the time they played Oxegen. Doves are always great live. Nice to have them back. Eels were the first band I ever saw at a festival and are brilliant live.

Btw who would you have liked EP to have booked for this year? Consider acts that are touring and not already playing Ireland. And bear in mind that some you choose may be in the next announcements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    avant garde Norwegian dungeon BDSM death metal

3KNctjY.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

It looks like the 1975 are closing Sunday night, judging where the headliners are in the poster.

Possibly but that's not how it worked out last year.

3KNctjY.gif

Wait til you see the Icelandic entry for Eurovision.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Nal wrote: »
    McCartney (with Ringo), Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd would've been better.

Pink Floyd with syd back or I'm not getting out of bed for it... .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The 1975?

Pure unadulterated scutter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Acosta

You used the term Top Acts and EP has always had such acts. That they're not to your taste is irrelevant but the four mentioned are undeniably top acts.

EP is not going for a MOR crowd at all. Never has. It's going for the Glastonbury model of appealing across the board. We're far from the end of acts for 2019 (approx 20% of the main arena acts announced) so let's look at the full lineup from 2018 and the supposed mainstream acts - The Prodigy, Sleaford Mods, Massive Attack, Kendrick Lamar, Versatile, Benjamin Clementine, Fontaines DC, Murder Capital, Seamus Fogarty, King Krule, The Blaze,Colter Wall, Kojaque, Montauk Hotel, Pillow Queens, Gwenno, David Keenan, Bitch Falcon, Peggy Got, Mango X Mathman, Scarxlrd, La Femme, Death Grips, St. Vincent and many many more.

This festival is far from conventional in terms of acts, just did a little deeper. Of course if you're into avant garde Norwegian dungeon BDSM death metal then the above will appear a little tame.

How did you guess?

When I said top acts i said it in relation as to whether I think their top acts, nothing to do with how successful they are.

If you're having Picture This or in Glastonbury's case, Ed Sheeran as a headliner, you're going more MOR. Both headliners would have been unthinkable once upon a time. It's a sign of the times with the music business being so small now. Unfortunately the worse pop music gets the higher it seems to be on the bill at festivals.
    so let's look at the full lineup from 2018 and the supposed mainstream acts - The Prodigy, Sleaford Mods, Massive Attack, Kendrick Lamar, Versatile, Benjamin Clementine, Fontaines DC, Murder Capital, Seamus Fogarty, King Krule, The Blaze,Colter Wall, Kojaque, Montauk Hotel, Pillow Queens, Gwenno, David Keenan, Bitch Falcon, Peggy Got, Mango X Mathman, Scarxlrd, La Femme, Death Grips, St. Vincent and many many more.

None of which would do much for me to be honest.
    Don't forgot George Ezra, The Coronas, Gavin James and Walking On Cars.

Btw who would you have liked EP to have booked for this year? Consider acts that are touring and not already playing Ireland. And bear in mind that some you choose may be in the next announcements.

Off the top of my head stuff that I've been listening to that have new albums out or did recently or will be touring this year that haven't yet to my knowledge announced a gig.

Wand, Lorelle Meets The Obsolete, Deerhunter, Paul Draper, Low, Woven Skull, Light Foils, Toy, Beak, The Horrors, Trail Of Dead, British Sea Power, Pye Corner Audio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Off the top of my head stuff that I've been listening to that have new albums out or did recently or will be touring this year that haven't yet to my knowledge announced a gig.

Wand, Lorelle Meets The Obsolete, Deerhunter, Paul Draper, Low, Woven Skull, Light Foils, Toy, Beak, The Horrors, Trail Of Dead, British Sea Power, Pye Corner Audio

Beak> are playing Whelans in May

Beak> are playing Whelans in May

Forgot about that. Would love to go to but I can't over work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Stillill42

In fairness, EP has never been alternative enough for that list. Although how we've never had British Sea Power is a bit of a mystery to me.

Snarky Snark Snark

Stillill42 wrote: »
    In fairness, EP has never been alternative enough for that list

likely due to the fact that they need to shift 55K tickets.

Low played in 2015 but I can't see them ever returning

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Paddy2012

I'm loving the Lorelle Meets The Obsolete and Pye Corner Audio albums too but with the exception of Beak, Deerhunter and Toy a lot of those acts aren't even touring or popular enough to be headlining festivals, although there's a chance of some of them being announced later or on the Body and Soul stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Mucker46

I only go for the music and every year they have music that would make my ears bleed yet every year my problem at the weekend is deciding which bands not to see due to clashes rather than not enough to see. There are many different tastes and ep caters for many so for me still best festival in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

None of whom are even close to headlining a 55k festival.

Imagine the vitriol on FB if all of these were announced.

Somehow you seem to be expecting something that has not been what ep has been like for years, if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

None of whom are even close to headlining a 55k festival.

Imagine the vitriol on FB if all of these were announced.

Somehow you seem to be expecting something that has not been what ep has been like for years, if ever.

That list reads more like Body & Soul to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Hey I just want to say congratulations to us all.

Another year without Kings Of Leon. Even though they were on the horizon yet again.

We did it! Go team!

In fairness, EP has never been alternative enough for that list. Although how we've never had British Sea Power is a bit of a mystery to me.

Yeah, every year I went to EP when they were touring I had high hopes because it just seemed like an obvious one.

Deerhunter, Low would get good sized crowds I think. Beak and The Horrors would pull a decent crowd and Paul Draper would be interesting. The others could play earlier on in the day in a little tent and be very much appreciated by a small handful of people including myself. I was just listing off bands. I wouldn't expect all of these bands to be on the line-up of any festival, expect one of those uber cool festivals outside Los Angeles or Primavera

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    I'm loving the Lorelle Meets The Obsolete and Pye Corner Audio albums too but with the exception of Beak, Deerhunter and Toy a lot of those acts aren't even touring or popular enough to be headlining festivals, although there's a chance of some of them being announced later or on the Body and Soul stage.

I was thinking most of these bands would be playing earlier in the day. Except for as I already mentioned, Deerhunter and Low, who I think would be the big tent later on but neither headlining.

I wasn't considering headliners. To be honest if all my bands were playing they could have Picture This, Olly Murs and Sting headline and I wouldn't give a toss.

I know I'm not being totally realistic here, but there was a time when I was happy to get a ticket for this before the line-up was released and was never disappointed I did when it was was revealed.
    I've never been that enthused by a Body And Soul Line-up. Hopefully that might change this year.

Snarky Snark Snark

Another year without Kings Of Leon. Even though they were on the horizon yet again.

We did it! Go team!

We're not out of danger yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Low played in 2015 but I can't see them ever returning

Especially if Jon Hopkins was announced to be playing on the same night as them. :pac:

The Horrors played EP a few times.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Especially if Jon Hopkins was announced to be playing on the same night as them. :pac:

The Horrors played EP a few times.

Whoever was responsible for placing Low beside Jon Hopkins is a dope!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭glennponder

We did it! Go team!

Cue kings of Leon announced in second phase 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I think it's unfair to say it is a crap lineup, when you look around at who is playing festivals this summer and who was realistic to play at picnic you'd have to say they have put together a strong enough lineup that will have a bit of something for everyone. Of course everyone is entitled to say they don't like the lineup though, that just comes down to personal taste. Not mad on it myself but there is probably no festival across Europe that I would say I am really mad about this summer, just the way it falls for me this year. A big fear for me and I think others was that they were going to go down the pop/commercial route even more so this year but that has not happened and they have booked a good variety of acts.

There are usually in and around 90 acts announced for the main arena/stages at EP (not including casa bacardi, salty dog, body & soul, etc.) and I think today we got around 40. Usually around 20-30 of those are Irish acts so probably still another 20-30 international acts still to come in the next announcement or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Whoever was responsible for placing Low beside Jon Hopkins is a dope!

Ha,I remember that all too well,at one stage the bass was so loud coming from the Jon Hopkins set,that Alan Sparhawk started mimicking and doing a head banging performance,don’t think Mimi was too impressed :P

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Dany Hitch

Happy out with the lineup thus far. Apart from The Strokes, the headliners aren't my cup of tea but I'm sure they are for others and I expect they'll be well attended.

My list so far:

Amelie Lens
    Kolsch
    The Strokes

Echo and the Bunnymen
    The Roadhouse Doors (TBA)

The Streets

I wonder how the new Freetown area will work with regards to the consumption of tins, closing times, egress etc. Whilst it's comforting to know the layout of the site from years of galavanting, the prospect of a new area to explore is exciting and it freshens things up a bit.

How did you guess?

When I said top acts i said it in relation as to whether I think their top acts, nothing to do with how successful they are.

If you're having Picture This or in Glastonbury's case, Ed Sheeran as a headliner, you're going more MOR. Both headliners would have been unthinkable once upon a time. It's a sign of the times with the music business being so small now. Unfortunately the worse pop music gets the higher it seems to be on the bill at festivals.

None of which would do much for me to be honest.
    Don't forgot George Ezra, The Coronas, Gavin James and Walking On Cars.

So utterly subjective on the Top Acts thing then? Your choice of the Horrors could be someone else's of Crystal Swing rather than use the objective standard that Top Acts are defined by. An inappropriate use of words methinks.

The six artists you've mentioned have never headlined EP and one was indeed booked by the previous promoter you said would never book such acts. Reynolds had Ed Sheehan in 2012.

For clarification the headliners last year were Massive Attack, Kendrick Lamar and The Prodigy. That ain't MOR. Or not yet anyway.

The Horrors and Low have played EP. Geoff Barrow of Beak has played with Portishead. Others are surprising omissions and hopefully corrected this year or next. Wand have never played Ireland as far as I know and EP also rely on bands being willing to come here.

Gotta respectfully disagree Stillill. At least two of them have played and others likely on the radar. There's few genres (bar metal) that EP hasn't booked over the years and the festival isn't guided by conventionality. Some of those acts are playing End of the Road that weekend and may also do EP. Here's hoping.

• Advertisement

I think it's unfair to say it is a crap lineup, when you look around at who is playing festivals this summer and who was realistic to play at picnic you'd have to say they have put together a strong enough lineup that will have a bit of something for everyone. Of course everyone is entitled to say they don't like the lineup though, that just comes down to personal taste. Not mad on it myself but there is probably no festival across Europe that I would say I am really mad about this summer, just the way it falls for me this year. A big fear for me and I think others was that they were going to go down the pop/commercial route even more so this year but that has not happened and they have booked a good variety of acts.

There are usually in and around 90 acts announced for the main arena/stages at EP (not including casa bacardi, salty dog, body & soul, etc.) and I think today we got around 40. Usually around 20-30 of those are Irish acts so probably still another 20-30 international acts still to come in the next announcement or two!

Fully agree. I think almost every festival announcement has been weak and EP will end up having amongst the best line-ups of the Summer when fleshed out. I think we'll get a few from Tame Impala, Wilco, Specials, Chemical Brothers, James, Johnny Marr and Flaming Lips (doing the Soft Bulletin). End of the Road that weekend is sharing many acts with EP already and I see more coming, possibly Beak, Wire, Deerhunter, Beirut, Spiritualized, Baxter Dury, etc. So be optimistic people, all will be good.

Fave lineup so far is Bluedot and am impressed with ATN also.

Advertisement