Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I'd say the majority are 12-25 year olds.

Not getting the hate for The 1975. They sound like a weird fusion of late 80s Peter Gabriel and Jamiroquai and are great showmen. Matt thingy has a lot of stage presence.

Hozier and Billie Eilish? More action at a midweek funeral.

Gonna give myself a "fallow" year! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭dav09

The 1975, Hozier, The Strokes and Florence.

Other tiers aside I don't see how this is comparable to the previous headliners with quality or style, mostly just pure and utter mediocre pop. 2018 N.E.R.D, The Prodigy, Kendric Lamar, Massive Attack. Or 2017 with The XX, Elbow, Duran Duran, Chaka Khan, A Tribe Called Quest, Run the Jewels, I could say the same about 2016, 2015 and previous years. No bit of excitement with almost any of this year's headliners, plenty of other acts I might like but wouldn't like to see at a festival because they'd put me to sleep live. Even if you weren't into previous headliners, at least they mostly had energy that was enjoyable while catering to a variety of crowds unlike this. And with ticket prices, I think headliners wise the festival has lost its appeal in comparison to comparable festivals around 50000 in size in the UK, Europe, etc.

I know there's one or two more to come, but can't help but think EP has decided to target an Oxygen 2.0 style pop crowd with much lower quality headliners than back then to rake in the profits, and is straying away from their general audience over profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

dav09 wrote: »

Other tiers aside I don't see how this is comparable to the previous headliners with quality or style, mostly just pure and utter mediocre pop. 2018 N.E.R.D, The Prodigy, Kendric Lamar, Massive Attack. Or 2017 with The XX, Elbow, Duran Duran, Chaka Khan, A Tribe Called Quest, Run the Jewels, I could say the same about 2016, 2015 and previous years. No bit of excitement with almost any of this year's headliners, plenty of other acts I might like but wouldn't like to see at a festival because they'd put me to sleep live. Even if you weren't into previous headliners, at least they mostly had energy that was enjoyable while catering to a variety of crowds unlike this. And with ticket prices, I think headliners wise the festival has lost its appeal in comparison to comparable festivals around 50000 in size in the UK, Europe, etc.

I know there's one or two more to come, but can't help but think EP has decided to target an Oxygen 2.0 style pop crowd with much lower quality headliners than back then to rake in the profits, and is straying away from their general audience over profit.

Again you're making comparisons to a full lineup when EP 2019 isn't even halfway there.

In terms of prices €165 for a loyalty ticket is pretty impressive value.

Forget the Oxegen comparison, it's much more akin to Glastonbury with acts and non-musical distractions for all. For most music fans you can find 10-12 acts to really enjoy over the weekend. And newer ones to explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That's main stage, let's see who there clashing with down in Freetown. Nice to see something fresh happening needed a bit of a change it was getting a bit repetitive lay out wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

OK would you prefer EP swapped with the Latitude lineup then. Why don't you book the acts then and see how you get on. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Just thinking about what could have been if things were close to previous years headliner quality and with current touring artists, Tame Impala, Aphex Twin, (even throw in a heavier rock act like Muse or Arctic Monkeys) and maybe a dance act like Chemical Brothers, along with to be expected pop headliners like Picture This previously. Again was only talking about/ mentioned headliners, not about the full lineup, going by last year it's likely we'll only get 2 more headliners announced, I just personally don't see much of them to be forefront headlining acts for 2019 and caters only to a particular audience.

Personally, think most of these are potentially latitude style headliners more so than EP headliners, will still enjoy the rest of the music but am just let down quality and direction-wise.
    OK would you prefer EP swapped with the Latitude lineup then. Why don't you book the acts then and see how you get on. :)

Not sure why the hostility over an opinion either, obviously the headliners are your thing but just personally, were not close to what I was expecting based on previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Paddy2012

I don't think its fair to compare it to past Oxygen lineups as touring acts are charging more nowadays due to the decline in music sales and considering how much it would cost to see a lot of these acts on their own (The Streets alone were charging 50 euro last year) I still think its great value (especially with an early bird ticket). It's true they're targeting the pop crowd more however this has been the case for the last few years now and there's still an effort to appeal to the more alternative crowd with stuff like Sons of Kemet, Serpentwithfeet, Sasami (who released a very good album last week), Mitski, Yves Tumor, Four Tet and Lets Eat Grandma. A fairer comparison would be other UK/European festivals this year in which I think this line up is one of the strongest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just thinking about what could have been if things were close to previous years headliner quality and with current touring artists, Tame Impala, Aphex Twin, (even throw in a heavier rock act like Muse or Arctic Monkeys) and maybe a dance act like Chemical Brothers, along with to be expected pop headliners like Picture This previously. Again was only talking about/ mentioned headliners, not about the full lineup, going by last year it's likely we'll only get 2 more headliners announced, I just personally don't see much of them to be forefront headlining acts for 2019 and caters only to a particular audience.

Personally, think most of these are potentially latitude style headliners more so than EP headliners, will still enjoy the rest of the music but am just let down quality and direction-wise.

Not sure why the hostility over an opinion either, obviously the headliners are your thing but just personally, were not close to what I was expecting based on previous years.

I'm not being hostile dude just having the craic and banter, not too hot on these headliners myself although I do like the Strokes and saw them in 2010 at RockNess festival in Scotland and they put on a lively rocking show, but there is always other stages with great acts. In the second announcement last year Walking on Cars was announced but so was Death Grips, who do you reckon I went to see. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I can't speak for Bodhrandude but I'm pretty sure the headliners are not his thing!!

I think he, like myself, just get annoyed with gratuitous whingeing about EP. Leave that for when the lineup is completed. It's not a greatly impressive announcement for me but there's lots of good stuff there and loads more to come.

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    I don't think its fair to compare it to past Oxygen lineups as touring acts are charging more nowadays due to the decline in music sales and considering how much it would cost to see a lot of these acts on their own (The Streets alone were charging 50 euro last year) I still think its great value (especially with an early bird ticket). It's true they're targeting the pop crowd more however this has been the case for the last few years now and there's still an effort to appeal to the more alternative crowd with stuff like Sons of Kemet, Serpentwithfeet, Sasami (who released a very good album last week), Mitski, Yves Tumor, Four Tet and Lets Eat Grandma. A fairer comparison would be other UK/European festivals this year in which I think this line up is one of the strongest.

Yup booking fee's have gone crazy and there are some acts I look forward to seeing, but estimates of 400k and were discussed previously for the likes of Kendrick Lamar alone (which could have been way off), I just find it hard to believe the likes of Hozier, The Strokes and The 1975 combined would add up to this figure. They do take in 200 * 57500 = 11,500,000 (just a general estimate with tickets between 165 - 250, plus more money comes in from beer, sponsorship, food stalls, etc), and am aware of insurance, garda presence, setting, rent, tax, and lower tier acts as you mentioned such as the streets now potentially costing 30 or 40k so maybe that explains it. Maybe I'm out of touch with how much these acts actually charge, just was expecting better headliners.
    I'm not being hostile dude just having the craic and banter, not too hot on these headliners myself although I do like the Strokes and saw them in 2010 at RockNess festival in Scotland and they put on a lively rocking show, but there is always other stages with great acts. In the second announcement last year Walking on Cars was announced but so was Death Grips, who do you reckon I went to see. :)

Ah okay then. And yup so did I, death grips were spectacular and good fun last year, just have fingers crossed that this is nowhere near the full lineup and that we have plenty more decent quality to come. Didn't mean to whine just disappointed based on previous years headliners, but definitely, some nice non-headliners announced. Just with it selling out so fast, there may be less of an incentive for them, even though obviously the incentive will be there to keep quality to ensure it sells out for years to come.

Also think being hit with the cluster**** of Gavin James, Walking On Cars, The Coronas, Hudson Taylor all in the second announcement last year has given me anxiety about what's to come, forgetting that the announcement had great acts listed in it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

Strokes, the Streets, Four Tet, Christine + the Queen, Róisín Murphy, Kölsch, Maceo Plex, Miles Kane... best initial line-up in years for me.

Are we saying Tame Impala are strictly headline material then, not a sub-headliner? Would top it off for me.

Now to source a ticket..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Acosta

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    So utterly subjective on the Top Acts thing then? Your choice of the Horrors could be someone else's of Crystal Swing rather than use the objective standard that Top Acts are defined by. An inappropriate use of words methinks.

The six artists you've mentioned have never headlined EP and one was indeed booked by the previous promoter you said would never book such acts. Reynolds had Ed Sheehan in 2012.

For clarification the headliners last year were Massive Attack, Kendrick Lamar and The Prodigy. That ain't MOR. Or not yet anyway.

My belief in what a top act is what I think myself, not want anyone else thinks. I did say it when mentioning whether or not it was imo worth buying a ticket. Perhaps I could have worded it differently.

Didn’t think Reynolds had much or any say in running the festival by then but if that’s true about Sheeran then fair enough. Nobody’s perfect. As far as I remember that wasn’t warmly received much at the time either and I don’t think the line-ups have ever been as good as before that year.

Again I’m not on about headliners, just the line-up in general. Although, I thought Picture This were one of last years headliners? Or at least second to last on. That would have been like The Script playing that slot 10 or 11 years ago except it wouldn’t have happened. There was far too much truly awful radio friendly muck at the top end of last years line-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

as Seathrun66 already pointed out, The Strokes and FATM are headlining multiple festivals all over the world, and have done for several years. Hozier is massive here and has the current US no.1 album, and The 1975 are getting to be headline status in the UK/Ireland; they're already headlining Reading & Leeds festivals, the second biggest in the UK, and most people think it's only a matter of time before they're headlining Glastonbury (quite likely next year). All their albums have been no.1 in the UK, previous album was no.1 in the US, and all their albums have been top 5 here, higher than many previous EP headliners.

they're all bigger than several acts you've named there.

you mention "energy" and yet name Massive Attack, Duran Duran, The xx and Elbow, who while good (or not in Elbow's case!), are hardly having too many people breaking out in sweats.

as for the money argument, The Strokes are well-known for largely only playing as "The Strokes" for massive paydays to fund their own solo ventures. they'll have cost more than most previous EP headliners. The Killers cost EP 500k in 2012, and artist fees have gone through the roof since then. The Strokes, FATM and The 1975 will all be taking home at least half a million from their trip to Stradbally, probably closer to a million in The Strokes' case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Yup booking fee's have gone crazy and there are some acts I look forward to seeing, but estimates of 400k and were discussed previously for the likes of Kendrick Lamar alone (which could have been way off), I just find it hard to believe the likes of Hozier, The Strokes and The 1975 combined would add up to this figure. They do take in 200 * 57500 = 11,500,000 (just a general estimate with tickets between 165 - 250, plus more money comes in from beer, sponsorship, food stalls, etc), and am aware of insurance, garda presence, setting, rent, tax, and lower tier acts as you mentioned such as the streets now potentially costing 30 or 40k so maybe that explains it. Maybe I'm out of touch with how much these acts actually charge, just was expecting better headliners.

here's some info on what the fees for last year's Bestival were
    https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-46400477

London Grammar - £175k
    Plan B - £105k
    Mura Masa - £70k
    First Aid Kit - £38.5k
    Mabel - £12k
    Mike Skinner - £8.5k (for DJing)

if Plan B is getting £105k for subbing at a 35,000 capacity festival, you'd imagine the EP subs (not headliners) are getting close to €200k for their time....

poster for reference:
    DVXueQBXcAEYMgU.jpg

Acosta wrote: »
    My belief in what a top act is what I think myself, not want anyone else thinks. I did say it when mentioning whether or not it was imo worth buying a ticket. Perhaps I could have worded it differently.

Didn’t think Reynolds had much or any say in running the festival by then but if that’s true about Sheeran then fair enough. Nobody’s perfect. As far as I remember that wasn’t warmly received much at the time either and I don’t think the line-ups have ever been as good as before that year.

Again I’m not on about headliners, just the line-up in general. Although, I thought Picture This were one of last years headliners? Or at least second to last on. That would have been like The Script playing that slot 10 or 11 years ago except it wouldn’t have happened. There was far too much truly awful radio friendly muck at the top end of last years line-up.

They sub-headlined to The Prodigy. I wonder what Keith Flint thought of that.

In truth we've got the same situation as Glastonbury where for the last decade they've had unchallenging pop acts on the main stage but still cater for all tastes there and elsewhere. We've just got to get used to it unfortunately. I also wasn't impressed with the first announcement but there's 8/9 acts I'm very keen to see and there'll be lots more goodies, including probably some of the ones you mentioned who are at EOTR the same weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 otterboy

Was a "little" Underwhelmed by the line up yesterday - looking forward to seeing whats to come over the next couple of months.
    My 12 year old daughter on the other hand was blown away by the options!

QUESTION: I have a (largeish) 2 man tent in Pink moon with my brother - Any one envisage any issues in bringing a "Smallie" in to pink moon with us?
    when bringing an under 13 (free as I understand it?) what sort of wrist band do they get? same as mine? (never done pink moon before but was convinced by my brother this year to give it a go - do you get a separate second wrist band?)

Thanks for any advice (family tickets all gone and she didn't originally factor in to my plans till Billie Eilish was confirmed :) )
    If nothing else she might me nice to me for a couple of months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

otterboy wrote: »
    Was a "little" Underwhelmed by the line up yesterday - looking forward to seeing whats to come over the next couple of months.

QUESTION: I have a (largeish) 2 man tent in Pink moon with my brother - Any one envisage any issues in bringing a "Smallie" in to pink moon with us?
    when bringing an under 13 (free as I understand it?) what sort of wrist band do they get? same as mine? (never done pink moon before but was convinced by my brother this year to give it a go - do you get a separate second wrist band?)

Thanks for any advice (family tickets all gone and she didn't originally factor in to my plans till Billie Eilish was confirmed :) )

I haven’t ever seen any kids in pink moon & hope it’s not allowed tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

I would not bring a 12 year old to Pink Moon (I have one btw, albeit a boy).

Also, you will not be able to get 3 people regardless of age into a 2 man tent.

Unless she's up for a sesh don't take her to pink moon it's not for kids. That's what the kids campsite is for. I'd assume she'll be asked to leave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

This craic of people selling tickets for 400 euro is taking the p*ss

• Advertisement

LouD2016 wrote: »

They'll be going for 500 yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

LouD2016 wrote: »

Hate that carry on. Real music fans don't try to profit off other music fans

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I've seen the odd kid in Pink Moon, it's a quieter place than the other campsites so is actually kid friendly'ish BUT, you might want to check the age limits on the site, they may question and look for proof of age.

"You must be aged 18 years or over to attend Electric Picnic Music and Arts Festival, with the exception of children aged 12 and under. As in previous years, 13-17 year olds are not permitted to attend the event even when accompanied by an adult. It is not acceptable to turn up to the festival with children aged between 13-17 and anyone who is of this age will not gain admission to the festival."

Also, what do you mean by large'ish? the standard two mans are not exactly big, good enough for me and my kit but I wouldn't want anyone I was not well aquainted with to be in one with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Hate that carry on. Real music fans don't try to profit off other music fans

Real music fans can also be scuttering wanna be Del Boy pricks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Real music fans don't pay over the odds for tickets thus creating the market for people to profit from selling tickets over the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Real music fans will find something interesting in most lineups. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

I think with regards to the lineup, as an earlier poster eluded to,it’s pretty much a solid in terms of headline acts. If you look at other festivals across Europe, a lot of other headline acts at other festivals are performing later in Ireland, The Cure and New Order are two that spring to mind,after that it’s very hard to narrow down who else could be thrown in as a major headliners, off the top of me head the likes of Tool (one can dream),Kylie,Janelle Monae(possibly not headline I guess) are performing at other festivals but with them it’s early and mid summer where their tour schedule ends.

With EP,it’s towards the end of the summer and touring schedules for other artists may be restricted plus I guess it could be down to revenues as well as other festivals are heavily sponsored.So other than that I think it’s a good lineup ,like others have mentioned it”ll be interesting to see what second tier acts are to be announced over the next few months,keep the faith people!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,651 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The 1975?

Pure unadulterated scutter

They're actually quite good, think some in this thread should give them a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Acosta wrote: »
    I don't care how big an act currently is. Mainstream pop music is as good as dead. This is the worst era for pop since it began in the 1940s or 50s so I wouldn't use chart success in todays music as a measurement for how good the line-up is.

Sorry but i think thats such a load of bull****, you may not like current popular music but that doesnt mean its bad or worse than previous generations. The internet era has completely changed the landscape of popular music and it's largely for the better. So what if Hozier is mainstream? He's still an incredibly talented musician, may not be to your taste but he's not exactly One Direction either. The 1975 are poppy as hell, but if we're honest The Beatles were poppy as **** when it came down to it. Popular music has changed dramatically in the last few years and yeah there's absolutely still alot of ****e out there, no arguing with that, but the whole thing of 'there's no good music anymore maaaan' is just sad at this stage. Yes, there's a lack of conventionall guitar-driven 'rock' in the mainstream scene at the moment, but that was always kinda the way. The most popular artist in the world for the last few years was a ginger kid who sells out massive stadia with nothing but a guitar and a loop pedalling, mixing folk, hip-hop, indie and pop together (not always successfully, but at least he's innovative. I can only see this as being a good thing

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    They're actually quite good, think some in this thread should give them a chance.

I've tried. Honestly. Quite a few times. Just not for me.

Though I may pop along to see what they're like live. Avoided them on their last 3/4 visits but I'll give them a look with an open mind next time.

Advertisement