Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Sorry but i think thats such a load of bull****, you may not like current popular music but that doesnt mean its bad or worse than previous generations. The internet era has completely changed the landscape of popular music and it's largely for the better. So what if Hozier is mainstream? He's still an incredibly talented musician, may not be to your taste but he's not exactly One Direction either. The 1975 are poppy as hell, but if we're honest The Beatles were poppy as **** when it came down to it. Popular music has changed dramatically in the last few years and yeah there's absolutely still alot of ****e out there, no arguing with that, but the whole thing of 'there's no good music anymore maaaan' is just sad at this stage. Yes, there's a lack of conventionall guitar-driven 'rock' in the mainstream scene at the moment, but that was always kinda the way. The most popular artist in the world for the last few years was a ginger kid who sells out massive stadia with nothing but a guitar and a loop pedalling, mixing folk, hip-hop, indie and pop together (not always successfully, but at least he's innovative. I can only see this as being a good thing

Someone earlier posted about us setting up our own Boardsies festival. Agreeing acts to book could be problematic. Can ya imagine the arguments?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Someone earlier posted about us setting up our own Boardsies festival. Agreeing acts to book could be problematic. Can ya imagine the arguments?

i suggest the peruvian flute band from the fast show to headline all three nights, that should keep everyone happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I think with regards to the lineup, as an earlier poster eluded to,it’s pretty much a solid in terms of headline acts. If you look at other festivals across Europe, a lot of other headline acts at other festivals are performing later in Ireland, The Cure and New Order are two that spring to mind,after that it’s very hard to narrow down who else could be thrown in as a major headliners, off the top of me head the likes of Tool (one can dream),Kylie,Janelle Monae(possibly not headline I guess) are performing at other festivals but with them it’s early and mid summer where their tour schedule ends.

With EP,it’s towards the end of the summer and touring schedules for other artists may be restricted plus I guess it could be down to revenues as well as other festivals are heavily sponsored.So other than that I think it’s a good lineup ,like others have mentioned it”ll be interesting to see what second tier acts are to be announced over the next few months,keep the faith people!!!

Janelle is also playing at Trinity this summer but am in agreement with the rest of what you said - of the headline and upper tier acts playing around Europe, EP has done quite well and Ireland has done very well.

With the exceptions of Tame Impala and Robyn (who is now being rumoured for a standalone show in the IMMA like Nick Cave last year), is there many people in prominent slots at festivals in Europe this year who isn't playing in Ireland? Off the top of my head...

Bon Iver, Solange, Smashing Pumpkins, Thom York, Chemical Brothers, Bob Dylan, Robert Plant, Bring Me The Horizon, Muse, Underworld, Macklemore, Tool, The Raconteurs...

Obviously that's not a comprehensive list by any measure so feel free to add but...

- Bon Iver plays here very regularly by his/their standards, including Forbidden Fruit and several Cork shows in 2016. Wouldn't rule out an Irish show of some sort this year by any stretch.
    - Solange - Longitude headliner last year, I think?
    - Smashing Pumpkins - for some reason, we get the Billy Corgan solo show. That's a bit **** TBF.
    - Thom Yorke - not quite sure why Radiohead/Thom play elsewhere a lot more than they play here. Answers on a postcard please.
    - Chemical Brothers - I'd say the most likely dance headliner for EP in the second announcement but they also play here very regularly anyway.
    - Bob Dylan - playing Kilkenny, isn't he?
    - Robert Plant - didn't he play here last year as part of the blues fest? I remember it not exactly being a big seller (the fest in general, not necessarily him... but it was Plant and Van Morrison on one bill wasn't it?)
    - Bring Me the Horizon, Muse - I don't know why anyone - literally anyone - would want these ones but they aren't playing anywhere here yet
    - Underworld - see Chem Bros
    - The Raconteurs - very few shows announced yet, would not be surprised to see an Irish show added but, again, Jack White and his various bands don't always stop here
    - Mackelmore - I would hazard a guess that that wouldn't have gone down well here!
    - Tool - this would have been a huge hit I'd guess but I would also argue that it wouldn't have fit with an awful lot of what EP book over the years.

I mean, I think EP has done okay in general - lots on there that I don't want to see but a pretty solid mix of what is out there and potentially more to add. I mean, on the back of the last few years, it wouldn't have been at all surprising if there was more pop acts at the top of the bill so to get the Strokes and a very solid undercard was quite a pleasant surprise to me!

Would be interested to know who else people would have liked that haven't played here recently and/or aren't somewhere else that weekend already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭endainoz

Seathrun66 wrote:

It'll just have to be a democratic vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gauralordon

I've tried. Honestly. Quite a few times. Just not for me.

Though I may pop along to see what they're like live. Avoided them on their last 3/4 visits but I'll give them a look with an open mind next time.

Said it before but I wasn't a fan at all till I saw them in 2016 at EP, wouldn't be a massive fan right now either but I like them enough to go see them this year. I will admit they have a more emo vibe than I'd regularly listen to, but that's to be expected if you look into Matty Healy's background (mam, dad, family history etc).

This is my favourite song of theirs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bimd2nZirT4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

endainoz wrote: »
    It'll just have to be a democratic vote!

well we have a venue anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Janelle is also playing at Trinity this summer but am in agreement with the rest of what you said - of the headline and upper tier acts playing around Europe, EP has done quite well and Ireland has done very well.

With the exceptions of Tame Impala and Robyn (who is now being rumoured for a standalone show in the IMMA like Nick Cave last year), is there many people in prominent slots at festivals in Europe this year who isn't playing in Ireland? Off the top of my head...

Bon Iver, Solange, Smashing Pumpkins, Thom York, Chemical Brothers, Bob Dylan, Robert Plant, Bring Me The Horizon, Muse, Underworld, Macklemore, Tool, The Raconteurs...

Obviously that's not a comprehensive list by any measure so feel free to add but...

- Bon Iver plays here very regularly by his/their standards, including Forbidden Fruit and several Cork shows in 2016. Wouldn't rule out an Irish show of some sort this year by any stretch.
    - Smashing Pumpkins - for some reason, we get the Billy Corgan solo show. That's a bit **** TBF.
    - Thom Yorke - not quite sure why Radiohead/Thom play elsewhere a lot more than they play here. Answers on a postcard please.
    - Chemical Brothers - I'd say the most likely dance headliner for EP in the second announcement but they also play here very regularly anyway.
    - Robert Plant - didn't he play here last year as part of the blues fest? I remember it not exactly being a big seller (the fest in general, not necessarily him... but it was Plant and Van Morrison on one bill wasn't it?)
    - Bring Me the Horizon, Muse - I don't know why anyone - literally anyone - would want these ones but they aren't playing anywhere here yet
    - The Raconteurs - very few shows announced yet, would not be surprised to see an Irish show added but, again, Jack White and his various bands don't always stop here
    - Mackelmore - I would hazard a guess that that wouldn't have gone down well here!
    - Tool - this would have been a huge hit I'd guess but I would also argue that it wouldn't have fit with an awful lot of what EP book over the years.

I mean, I think EP has done okay in general - lots on there that I don't want to see but a pretty solid mix of what is out there and potentially more to add. I mean, on the back of the last few years, it wouldn't have been at all surprising if there was more pop acts at the top of the bill so to get the Strokes and a very solid undercard was quite a pleasant surprise to me!

Would be interested to know who else people would have liked that haven't played here recently and/or aren't somewhere else that weekend already.

Ehhhhh! Aphex Fecking Twin although he played Forbidden Fruit in 2017, I've never understood why he has eluded the Electric Picnic bookers, perhaps they have tried to book him in the past and he probably called them a shower of **** and that was the end of that, but hopefully not for the second announcement. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Ehhhhh! Aphex Fecking Twin although he played Forbidden Fruit in 2017, I've never understood why he has eluded the Electric Picnic bookers, perhaps they have tried to book him in the past and he probably called them a shower of **** and that was the end of that, but hopefully not for the second announcement. :)

Dyou like Aphex Twin Bd? It's never come up... :P

Fair point - no tour dates outside Coachella yet is there?

I was pulling my list from a few festival posters in a quick Google between jobs at work so have definitely missed a few!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm pretty happy with the first announcement. Very strong lineup imo.

Also delighted to see Kölsch there.

Dyou like Aphex Twin Bd? It's never come up... :P

Fair point - no tour dates outside Coachella yet is there?

I was pulling my list from a few festival posters in a quick Google between jobs at work so have definitely missed a few!

Yup playing Rock en Seine Festival in Paris the weekend before EP and he is also playing Home Festival in Italy on July as well as his American dates in April.

• Advertisement

Yup playing Rock en Seine Festival in Paris the weekend before EP and he is also playing Home Festival in Italy on July as well as his American dates in April.

Fingers crossed that he turns up at the docklands in Limerick for a homecoming show so. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Could just be that they decided that he was not a fit based on cost and demographics of their market.

Could just be that they decided that he was not a fit based on cost and demographics of their market.

True, he does command quite a big fee, but he is a marquee filler there's no doubt about that, especially his recent shows at Torino and Berlin which looked visually stunning and I always judge his streamed show at Field Day as a benchmark for excellent electronic entertainment with well coordinated lasers.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 otterboy

Thanks for all the comments - just checking webpage there (never even looked considered bringing a kid before and have only stayed in the standard campsites - which are NO place for a kid) what the family campsite like (compared to glamping, which I also have never done)- am I correct in thinking that you just turn up with kid in tow and this gets you access? Is it as crowded as the normal campsites? how do they regulate this?

(might have a pink moon tent ticket for sale in the coming months!)
    I've seen the odd kid in Pink Moon, it's a quieter place than the other campsites so is actually kid friendly'ish BUT, you might want to check the age limits on the site, they may question and look for proof of age.

"You must be aged 18 years or over to attend Electric Picnic Music and Arts Festival, with the exception of children aged 12 and under. As in previous years, 13-17 year olds are not permitted to attend the event even when accompanied by an adult. It is not acceptable to turn up to the festival with children aged between 13-17 and anyone who is of this age will not gain admission to the festival."

Also, what do you mean by large'ish? the standard two mans are not exactly big, good enough for me and my kit but I wouldn't want anyone I was not well aquainted with to be in one with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Acosta

Sorry but i think thats such a load of bull****, you may not like current popular music but that doesnt mean its bad or worse than previous generations. The internet era has completely changed the landscape of popular music and it's largely for the better. So what if Hozier is mainstream? He's still an incredibly talented musician, may not be to your taste but he's not exactly One Direction either. The 1975 are poppy as hell, but if we're honest The Beatles were poppy as **** when it came down to it. Popular music has changed dramatically in the last few years and yeah there's absolutely still alot of ****e out there, no arguing with that, but the whole thing of 'there's no good music anymore maaaan' is just sad at this stage. Yes, there's a lack of conventionall guitar-driven 'rock' in the mainstream scene at the moment, but that was always kinda the way. The most popular artist in the world for the last few years was a ginger kid who sells out massive stadia with nothing but a guitar and a loop pedalling, mixing folk, hip-hop, indie and pop together (not always successfully, but at least he's innovative. I can only see this as being a good thing

What is being promoted by the industry as pop nowadays is mostly, in my opinion, truly awful. I think a decade and a half or so of TV talent shows has downgraded pop significantly. And of course the internet has played a part. Big record companies no longer have any interest nurturing and promoting talent for a period of time as they probably feel it’s not worth their while as the financial returns are so small now. If you feel that pop music is better now than it was in the 60s,70s, 80s and 90s I will never agree with you on that.

Anything will sell now if enough money is paid to PR companies to sell it. When you look at say boybands like One Direction, it just seems like a cult of personality now and the songs don’t matter at all anymore. When before yea, you needed pretty boys on stage, but you also needed a catchy song or two.

I never said that music is dead or anything. I find Hozier bland and not to my taste, but he’s far from the worst and seems like an alright guy. Buddies of mine were involved in making his famous and powerful Take Me To The Church video. He could have easily headlined EP’s going back down the years with his success. The Beatles were very poppy in their early years and were quite innovative and creative as they progressed.

When I was growing up in the 90’s many bands that would today probably struggle to get a deal or have any real success were headlining festivals left right and centre. That’s just the way it is.

The funny thing is, using a tool like Spotify it’s plain to see that music is actually fantastic at the moment. There’s so much great music out there, but most of it is very much underground. But it’s there at least. And that's the main thing.

otterboy wrote: »
    Thanks for all the comments - just checking webpage there (never even looked considered bringing a kid before and have only stayed in the standard campsites - which are NO place for a kid) what the family campsite like (compared to glamping, which I also have never done)- am I correct in thinking that you just turn up with kid in tow and this gets you access? Is it as crowded as the normal campsites? how do they regulate this?

Don't you need to get a family camping ticket to qualify for that, you might have to swap your regular ticket for family camping one, I'm not sure but you might have to email details like your kids name and age also before going to the festival site.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cjdennis29

Very little electronic/dance. Anyone getting the feeling the Freetown lineup will be announced separately? Given that it's seemingly dedicated to that music. Maybe I'm just trying to come up with reasons for Aphex and Chem Bros to play lmaooooo

Wilco - not played since 2008 and their European tour starts a few days after EP.
    Flaming Lips doing The Soft Bulletin -- also around that week, in Italy one of the EP nights.
    Tame Impala - reckon they'll be announced.
    The Specials - overdue.
    Beak - playing EOTR.
    Wire - see above.
    Beirut - see above.
    Deerhubter - see above.
    Chemical Brothers - dates align with EP and not played in 3/4 years.
    Anna Calvi - overdue.

I'd be greatly surprised if we didn't get at least 4/5 of the above.

Wilco - not played since 2008 and their European tour starts a few days after EP.
    Flaming Lips doing The Soft Bulletin -- also around that week, in Italy one of the EP nights.
    Tame Impala - reckon they'll be announced.
    The Specials - overdue.
    Beak - playing EOTR.
    Wire - see above.
    Beirut - see above.
    Deerhubter - see above.
    Chemical Brothers - dates align with EP and not played in 3/4 years.
    Anna Calvi - overdue.

I'd be greatly surprised if we didn't get at least 4/5 of the above.

Yeah they're all good shouts bar Beirut, i'd say. They're playing Vicar Street the week before. Am I right in thinking that Flaming Lips haven't played EP since the early days? If ever there's bands who fit the template of a festival perfectly, it's FLips and Wilco at EP IMO!

But even if all of them were announced, it'd really just be the Chems and Tame Impala who would be in that top bracket of acts with Hozier, Strokes, FATM and 1975.

My post was more a response to the headliner complaints because, to be fair, there's thousands of great acts that could be added throughout the line up, but it's hard to think of too many acts that could be headline alongside or instead of who EP picked. Many acts not touring, some playing here already, some not around at that end of the summer. I just think that while I might not like all the headliners, EP haven't done a bad job this year given what they're working with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

File Aphex Twin beside Daft Punk and The “R” Band :D

• Advertisement

Acosta wrote: »
    What is being promoted by the industry as pop nowadays is mostly, in my opinion, truly awful. I think a decade and a half or so of TV talent shows has downgraded pop significantly. And of course the internet has played a part. Big record companies no longer have any interest nurturing and promoting talent for a period of time as they probably feel it’s not worth their while as the financial returns are so small now. If you feel that pop music is better now than it was in the 60s,70s, 80s and 90s I will never agree with you on that.

Anything will sell now if enough money is paid to PR companies to sell it. When you look at say boybands like One Direction, it just seems like a cult of personality now and the songs don’t matter at all anymore. When before yea, you needed pretty boys on stage, but you also needed a catchy song or two.

I never said that music is dead or anything. I find Hozier bland and not to my taste, but he’s far from the worst and seems like an alright guy. Buddies of mine were involved in making his famous and powerful Take Me To The Church video. He could have easily headlined EP’s going back down the years with his success. The Beatles were very poppy in their early years and were quite innovative and creative as they progressed.

When I was growing up in the 90’s many bands that would today probably struggle to get a deal or have any real success were headlining festivals left right and centre. That’s just the way it is.

The funny thing is, using a tool like Spotify it’s plain to see that music is actually fantastic at the moment. There’s so much great music out there, but most of it is very much underground. But it’s there at least. And that's the main thing.

Well to be fair, you did say that 'Mainstream pop music is as good as dead.'

Yes the x factor etc, have been detrimental to music in general but apart from a few exceptions such as one direction and little mix (which i still maintain is the worst name for a band ever, worse than stephen merchants suggestion of 'the chequebook stubs') they mostly have very short careers that only last a year or two, most of them end up as other types of 'celebrities'. even at that, they mostly created pop acts who would have been a manufactured product anyway, its just that the shows allowed people to see the whole process as opposed to just the end product.

pop music being better previously? i think nostalgia is clouding your judgement there, youre only remembering the good stuff but look at any list of top selling singles/albums from a random year in the past and the majority will probably be absolute rubbish (as will probably happen looking back at now in ten years time).

as for older boybands having catchy songs at least, well one direction did too (mainly by reappropriating older music) and i dont see their cult of celebrity being any different to that of take that or westlife.

90s headliners that wouldnt be successful today? i need some examples for that but again i imagine id disagree, the amount of independent artists that have incredible success without hitting a mainstream audience at the moment is fairly large

my argument regarding hozier is kinda what i was saying about pop music in general right now. 10/15 years ago he would have been a sort-of well known but far from mainstream artist a lá damien rice, but popular music has changed so much recently that a folk artist such as him is now 'pop'. its the same thing with electronic artists, same with hip-hip (childish gambino wouldn't be anywhere near as popular if he was starting out in the early 2000s), the streaming age has changed how everything works

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

otterboy wrote: »

You pay by the tent type, one thing you need to understand is that they will not check in 3 people for a 2 man tent. Outside of age limits/suitability of site for kids, you're trying to get 3 into a 2. They won't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Not a lot of love for Hozier it seems! I dont get it? Good musican, real talent, original stuff, excellent live, seems like a down to earth guy etc.
    Had he not exploded on the scene and become so popular I think most on here would be raving about him being added.

Will definitely catch him, great booking!!

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Had he not exploded on the scene and become so popular I think most on here would be raving about him being added.

why do hipsters burn their mouth? because they always eat things before theyre cool

Yeah they're all good shouts bar Beirut, i'd say. They're playing Vicar Street the week before. Am I right in thinking that Flaming Lips haven't played EP since the early days? If ever there's bands who fit the template of a festival perfectly, it's FLips and Wilco at EP IMO!

But even if all of them were announced, it'd really just be the Chems and Tame Impala who would be in that top bracket of acts with Hozier, Strokes, FATM and 1975.

My post was more a response to the headliner complaints because, to be fair, there's thousands of great acts that could be added throughout the line up, but it's hard to think of too many acts that could be headline alongside or instead of who EP picked. Many acts not touring, some playing here already, some not around at that end of the summer. I just think that while I might not like all the headliners, EP haven't done a bad job this year given what they're working with.

Lips played in 2005 and 2009, latter a complete mess in the Electric Arena. Lots of fuc*ing about on stage with hand puppets and the hamster ball, etc. Gaps between songs often longer than the tracks. Sound was poor and Coyne's voice worse. We left for Damien Dempsey. Far less contrived and did an excellent set.

Caught the Lips in Galway at the Arts Fest last year and they've completely sorted out their act. Tightened it up so no gaps and they sounded great. They do The Soft Bulletin at EP and I really don't care what else I see that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Stillill42

why do hipsters burn their mouth? because they always eat things before theyre cool

I have seen some people on this thread live and in the flesh. If the hipster profile has changed to middle-aged chancers with bad joints and worse dress-sense, whose only facial hair is sprouting from their noses, then we're bang on trend. I include myself, of course in that demographic and mean it all in the most complimentary way, gents!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Apart from Seathrun who had drainpipe jeans and a curly moustache. Last seen drinking a frappachino.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Hipster is now just one of those magical terms to instantly dismiss any criticism, like begrudger

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

We book one act each - then EVERYONE has one thing to be happy about :D Just hope that I can meet up with fellow Boardies this year - got to Salty too late last year - and of course, had no idea what / who to look for...……….. Methinx a red scarf or something equally "obvious" :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

cjdennis29 wrote: »
    Very little electronic/dance. Anyone getting the feeling the Freetown lineup will be announced separately? Given that it's seemingly dedicated to that music. Maybe I'm just trying to come up with reasons for Aphex and Chem Bros to play lmaooooo

Yeah only real electronic acts so far are Four Tet, Maceo Plex and Kolsch. It is usually the next announcement or two that we get a lot of the electronic stuff though I'm fairly sure. Don't know what size acts to expect on that but yeah I would say it will have it's own announcement at some point.. I wouldn't be getting my hopes up for acts that size though!

Advertisement