Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭LowOdour

maximoose wrote: »
    Hipster is now just one of those magical terms to instantly dismiss any criticism, like begrudger
    That's exactly what a hipster would say!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Yeah only real electronic acts so far are Four Tet, Maceo Plex and Kolsch. It is usually the next announcement or two that we get a lot of the electronic stuff though I'm fairly sure. Don't know what size acts to expect on that but yeah I would say it will have it's own announcement at some point.. I wouldn't be getting my hopes up for acts that size though!

Amelie Lens and Yves Tumour too.

as someone mentioned, I'd imagine this Freetown thing will basically just replace the Rave in the Woods and maybe Trenchtown. or be in addition to them.
    I'd only be expecting DJs on the size that play those (mostly local), no-one anywhere close to main stage acts like Chems/Aphex Twin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Not a lot of love for Hozier it seems! I dont get it? Good musican, real talent, original stuff, excellent live, seems like a down to earth guy etc.
    Had he not exploded on the scene and become so popular I think most on here would be raving about him being added.

Will definitely catch him, great booking!!

Found him dull when he was last there. But he has a few decent tracks and will draw an enormous audience. If he's booked for Glasto he'll get a decent slot and again a huge crowd. Not a fan but he's far superior to much of the tosh we had last year and it's always nice to see an Irish artist make it big worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Amelie Lens and Yves Tumour too.

as someone mentioned, I'd imagine this Freetown thing will basically just replace the Rave in the Woods and maybe Trenchtown. or be in addition to them.
    I'd only be expecting DJs on the size that play those (mostly local), no-one anywhere close to main stage acts like Chems/Aphex Twin.

If its anything like the South East Corner they (Chems/Twin) could easily play seeing as that capacity is for 8,000 people, they might have their own main stage as well, seeing that Leftfield and the like have headlined the South East Corner before.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

If its anything like the South East Corner they (Chems/Twin) could easily play seeing as that capacity is for 8,000 people, they might have their own main stage as well, seeing that Leftfield and the like have headlined the South East Corner before.

But DJ slots rather than live shows? I don't think there's a stage there for proper equipment. Though I could be wrong, am always wasted when I ended up there late at night.

And there could be a health & safety issue if there was an area restricted to 8,000 people with major acts playing. Aphex could craw 15,000 at a guess, the Chemicals double that. Not ideal if people are kept outside the area and want to get in. A security nightmare.

Went to see Aphex at Field Day in the hangar and though a 16,000 (?) capacity it was rammed and wasn't safe with people pushing in from the exits on all sides. Can't see EP having anything other than DJs at this new area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Stillill42 wrote: »
    I have seen some people on this thread live and in the flesh. If the hipster profile has changed to middle-aged chancers with bad joints and worse dress-sense, whose only facial hair is sprouting from their noses, then we're bang on trend. I include myself, of course in that demographic and mean it all in the most complimentary way, gents!

in the context of what the joke was originally responding to it was meant to be more about a general attitude as opposed to people though

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Korvanica wrote: »
    From what I've heard its going to be inside the Arena. Same for Salty Dog & Trenchtown.

Playlist if people want.

Cheers for putting that together, it's tough listening though. Not fully finished so hopefully there's a diamond in the rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

On the hozier hate, for me i find him incredibly dull. I really dont like his voice

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Let's say there's 60,000 between guest list and everything, do they really think only 8,000 will show up for block rocking beats and the other 52,000 will be worried about getting to the church on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Rfrip wrote: »
    On the hozier hate, for me i find him incredibly dull. I really dont like his voice

Amen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Caught Four Tet at Field Day a couple of years ago before I left London. Hated the set, couldn't believe how much he'd changed from an edgy creator/remixer/producer to something slightly akin to Fatboy Slim. Maybe it was just me but the 45 mins I caught was poor and if I hear otherwise from posters here I'll give him another look.

But instead BD can you please sort out Aphex for the Electric Ireland stage?

That sounds like a very short set for Four Tet, he is usually a 90 minute or two hour set, was this also in the Barn. I heard rumours that Aphex's road crew might've subtly sabotaged the sound system to affect all the supporting artists, didn't Nina Kravis not tweet about it being one of the most frustrating gigs she's ever done in her life. Yet when the man himself came on the sound was perfect and crystal clear. I think Jon Hopkins had problems on the same day as well with the sound and he was just doing a DJ set.

Four Tet's life set was mesmeric and the one that was streamed on BBC from Glastonbury afterwards was brilliant too.

Edit: Sorry Seath I've got the years mixed up Four Tet played Field Day last year.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Real music fans don't pay over the odds for tickets thus creating the market for people to profit from selling tickets over the odds.

Exactly! I'd sooner not go than pay a Tout

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Anyone seen Courtney Barnett live? Very much enjoying her so far. Some killer lyrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭fourmations

Anyone seen Courtney Barnett live? Very much enjoying her so far. Some killer lyrics.

she's a great writer all right,
    not seen her live but looking forward to it!
    seen some stuff on YT, shes good craic live

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I love her and she sounds even better live

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Yep, saw her in the Olympia a few months ago.

Terrific stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Acosta

Well to be fair, you did say that 'Mainstream pop music is as good as dead.'

Yes the x factor etc, have been detrimental to music in general but apart from a few exceptions such as one direction and little mix (which i still maintain is the worst name for a band ever, worse than stephen merchants suggestion of 'the chequebook stubs') they mostly have very short careers that only last a year or two, most of them end up as other types of 'celebrities'. even at that, they mostly created pop acts who would have been a manufactured product anyway, its just that the shows allowed people to see the whole process as opposed to just the end product.

Starting to go off topic now so going to stop soon.

Music is alive and well but mainstream pop music is pretty much dead.
    Nowadays pop groups don't need to build a fanbase based on someone writing a good song for them. The people behind X factor etc realised they no longer need to pay big bucks to song writers to make hits for their wannabes when they can just sell them to the public through a TV show instead.
    Your Mam is meant to hate your music. Now Mam and kids enjoy watching Michael Buble together guesting on the X factor. It's just wrong. The worst thing about all this X factor **** is there's probably so many kids out there that will never get the spark of hearing a truly great song that makes them want to pick up a guitar or go and find more great music because great new music isn't being fed to them.
    There's not one live alternative radio show on the state broadcaster which is shameful. Unless that's changed because I've long since given up on 2FM.

Big live music events are taken up so much of here today gone tomorrow groups or basically legacy acts. I'm thinking of older acts here, but even The Stokes come to mind. They were fine, had some good, yet slightly disposable sounding songs. But that was 15 plus years ago. Now they're back to headline EP. We're soon going to enter the age of the hologram because when these old fellas still playing stadiums every summer die there's going to be nothing to replace them

pop music being better previously? i think nostalgia is clouding your judgement there, youre only remembering the good stuff but look at any list of top selling singles/albums from a random year in the past and the majority will probably be absolute rubbish (as will probably happen looking back at now in ten years time).

I moaned as much as any teenager into his music about all the rubbish on TOTP or whatever growing up, but thinking back I was fairly lucky. There was always muck there. There was some awful awful hits growing up, but thinking back they were usually one hit wonders or novelty records usually mixed up with some good music.

90s headliners that wouldnt be successful today? i need some examples for that but again i imagine id disagree, the amount of independent artists that have incredible success without hitting a mainstream audience at the moment is fairly large

I would refer you to what I said previously about artists being given the time to grow their sound and evolve. Bands like Blur and The Manics would be dropped after their first album if they were starting out now.
    my argument regarding hozier is kinda what i was saying about pop music in general right now. 10/15 years ago he would have been a sort-of well known but far from mainstream artist a lá damien rice, but popular music has changed so much recently that a folk artist such as him is now 'pop'. its the same thing with electronic artists, same with hip-hip (childish gambino wouldn't be anywhere near as popular if he was starting out in the early 2000s), the streaming age has changed how everything works

Hozier would have done fine in the age of Glen Hansard and friends. If you think about it, all that Frames, Bell X1, Paddy Casey period compared to what is being pushed as credible Irish acts now wasn't too bad.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea agreed seen her in the Olympia last year , didnt no much of her stuff but still enjoyed her set. I can see her playing in the EA mid way up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Well to be fair, you did say that 'Mainstream pop music is as good as dead.'

Yes the x factor etc, have been detrimental to music in general but apart from a few exceptions such as one direction and little mix (which i still maintain is the worst name for a band ever, worse than stephen merchants suggestion of 'the chequebook stubs') they mostly have very short careers that only last a year or two, most of them end up as other types of 'celebrities'. even at that, they mostly created pop acts who would have been a manufactured product anyway, its just that the shows allowed people to see the whole process as opposed to just the end product.

pop music being better previously? i think nostalgia is clouding your judgement there, youre only remembering the good stuff but look at any list of top selling singles/albums from a random year in the past and the majority will probably be absolute rubbish (as will probably happen looking back at now in ten years time).

as for older boybands having catchy songs at least, well one direction did too (mainly by reappropriating older music) and i dont see their cult of celebrity being any different to that of take that or westlife.

90s headliners that wouldnt be successful today? i need some examples for that but again i imagine id disagree, the amount of independent artists that have incredible success without hitting a mainstream audience at the moment is fairly large

my argument regarding hozier is kinda what i was saying about pop music in general right now. 10/15 years ago he would have been a sort-of well known but far from mainstream artist a lá damien rice, but popular music has changed so much recently that a folk artist such as him is now 'pop'. its the same thing with electronic artists, same with hip-hip (childish gambino wouldn't be anywhere near as popular if he was starting out in the early 2000s), the streaming age has changed how everything works

Part of the problem is technical.

Modern production values - everything sounds muddled in the centre of a mix in today's mainstream tracks. Listen to how muddy Coldplay sound compared to say Phil Collins and Genesis from the mid 80s.

A lot of tracks are built using software "in the box" (as opposed to the older analog hardware) and then on top of that compression for streaming sites is what makes a lot of today's stuff so homogeneous and indistinguishable.

Chord patterns and song structures are identikit also. Max Martin and Dr Luke who write most of the chart the last few years must take the rap for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Acosta wrote: »
    The people behind X factor etc realised they no longer need to pay big bucks to song writers to make hits for their wannabes when they can just sell them to the public through a TV show instead
    i kinda think that's splitting hairs, manufactured music is manufactured music,just a different way of doing it but it all ends up the same
    Your Mam is meant to hate your music.
    Please tell me that's a joke?
    there's probably so many kids out there that will never get the spark of hearing a truly great song that makes them want to pick up a guitar or go and find more great music because great new music isn't being fed to them. There's not one live alternative radio show on the state broadcaster which is shameful. Unless that's changed because I've long since given up on 2FM.
    again,i've disagreed massively here already. you may not like hozier/ed sheeran/james bay/ben howard etc, but theyre all talented musicians and songwriters and i imagine they have inspired a hell of a lot of people to try for themselves. it doesnt need to be fed to anyone, thats what the internet is for. i dont really listen to the radio anymore but apart from late night on 2FM, alternative music was fairly rare on radio, could do with something like the last braodcast on tv, but again youtube probably does better at that than anything rte could make
    Big live music events are taken up so much of here today gone tomorrow groups or basically legacy acts. I'm thinking of older acts here, but even The Stokes come to mind. They were fine, had some good, yet slightly disposable sounding songs. But that was 15 plus years ago. Now they're back to headline EP. We're soon going to enter the age of the hologram because when these old fellas still playing stadiums every summer die there's going to be nothing to replace them
    i kinda get what youre saying here to an extent, but older acts headlining festivals is because its older people who have more disposable income in general and so the ticket buying average age has risen massively. but at the same time there are still a pretty decent amount of stadium acts around these days, mightnt be your taste but they still exist.i wouldnt pay to see taylor swift in croke park but i respect the fact that she can sell it out in miliseconds.
    I moaned as much as any teenager into his music about all the rubbish on TOTP or whatever growing up, but thinking back I was fairly lucky. There was always muck there. There was some awful awful hits growing up, but thinking back they were usually one hit wonders or novelty records usually mixed up with some good music.
    Again, its fairly similar now,chalk it up to nostalgia
    I would refer you to what I said previously about artists being given the time to grow their sound and evolve. Bands like Blur and The Manics would be dropped after their first album if they were starting out now.
    Disagree about those examples, having seen the crowds at both at ep previously there was a fairly large young portion of the crowd
    Hozier would have done fine in the age of Glen Hansard and friends. If you think about it, all that Frames, Bell X1, Paddy Casey period compared to what is being pushed as credible Irish acts now wasn't too bad.
    yeah my point was that none of them are/were really mainstream in the way hozier is though, all have had moments of popularity but i wouldnt expect to hear them on the radio unless they had just released an album (as i said i dont listen to the radio but you get my point).ya picture this are ****e and gavin james is a bit meh but there are a lot of other good irish acts around right now

• Advertisement

That sounds like a very short set for Four Tet, he is usually a 90 minute or two hour set, was this also in the Barn. I heard rumours that Aphex's road crew might've subtly sabotaged the sound system to affect all the supporting artists, didn't Nina Kravis not tweet about it being one of the most frustrating gigs she's ever done in her life. Yet when the man himself came on the sound was perfect and crystal clear. I think Jon Hopkins had problems on the same day as well with the sound and he was just doing a DJ set.

Four Tet's life set was mesmeric and the one that was streamed on BBC from Glastonbury afterwards was brilliant too.

Edit: Sorry Seath I've got the years mixed up Four Tet played Field Day last year.

I didn't last the whole set, was bored. Worked out that this was in 2016. will give Four Set another look at EP as used to love him and maybe that se was one for the kids at Field Day. And he was on the main stage, Barn only arrived in 2017 and especially for Aphex Twin. Left London in July 2017 so not sure if they kept the stage but they shifted location last year to Brixton and are shifting again this year. The promoters got shafted by All Points East who took their location.

Used to be a great mix of indie, hip-hop, electronic and African music. Now, like Longitude it's heading mainly down the hip-hop route. Personally I think it's losing its adventurousness but it'll do well and good luck to it. Field Day has introduced me to loads of acts over the years and they were always ahead of the game in booking great young artists.

And btw I saw Modeselektor in the Barn a few hours before Aphex and the sound was great. They may have played around with the sound before AT but it may also be a little bit of mythology. That Barn was a big wow. But I didn't enjoy what I saw of Aphex there as it was way overcrowded. Will discuss in person sometime.

And she loves The Triffids, refers to them in History Eraser. Anyone who likes The Triffids is alright with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gauralordon

Mango X Mathman confirmed for a return this year

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gauralordon

Mango X Mathman confirmed for a return this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Acosta

Please tell me that's a joke?

TOTP had it's moments even if it was filled with ****e a lot of the time. It was still a world away from the sanitised manufactured world of these tv talent shows. I'm not being 100% serious no, but all the same, no parents I knew of ever watched TOTP. I remember at work a few years ago a couple of lads were going on about how much they enjoyed Michael Buble. They were in their early 20s. I found it weird but sure what can ya do...

again,i've disagreed massively here already. you may not like hozier/ed sheeran/james bay/ben howard etc, but theyre all talented musicians and songwriters and i imagine they have inspired a hell of a lot of people to try for themselves. it doesnt need to be fed to anyone, thats what the internet is for. i dont really listen to the radio anymore but apart from late night on 2FM, alternative music was fairly rare on radio, could do with something like the last braodcast on tv, but again youtube probably does better at that than anything rte could make
    I know, and that's the problem :) If you rate these guys we'll probably never agree much about music to be honest, but each to their own I suppose.

With Spotify, youtube etc it's never been so easy to find a great band but many, if not most still will just listen to whats on the radio etc and whats basically being marketed towards them. I can remember a couple of massive moments for me watching Dave Fanning on tv on Sunday morning and Alternative Nation on MTV when I was a teenager. If you haven't been triggered by a great song you're not going to go looking for more great songs yourself.

Disagree about those examples, having seen the crowds at both at ep previously there was a fairly large young portion of the crowd

I couldn't get passed the sound engineer box at Blur back at Oxegen 08 I think it was as there was so many people there, mostly very young, but that wasn't the point. Blur wouldn't have been given the time to develop their sound through their first couple of albums nowadays on a big label and possibly not make it to the point were they were headlining festivals. The Manics were on their 4th album before they started headlining festivals and by the time they had success had released 3 very different sounding albums. Bands were allowed to be creative and develop themselves by major labels.
    yeah my point was that none of them are/were really mainstream in the way hozier is though, all have had moments of popularity but i wouldnt expect to hear them on the radio unless they had just released an album (as i said i dont listen to the radio but you get my point).ya picture this are ****e and gavin james is a bit meh but there are a lot of other good irish acts around right now

Damien Rice was pretty big but seemed to just walk away from it all for whatever reason. The Frames I think could have been a lot bigger internationally if the motivation had been there possibly. Not sure. Was never a massive fan, but they definitely had enough about them to break out to a bigger audience and were always good live in fairness.
    Picture This and Kodaline in comparison sound manufactured, over produced and just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

jesus, do we have to have this argument every bloody year...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Quick trawl through the stuff I don't know has been a little unfulfilling. I've got Strokes, Christine, Echo, James Blake, Jarvis, Roisín, the Streets, Courtney, Michael Kiwanuka, Mitski, Bodega, Serpentswithfeet, Sons of Kemet. Anyone there I really love? Not yet, though Courtney has potential and I did love the Strokes in their pomp. Serpentswithfeet and Sons of Kemet have potential to be special gigs, I think. And I'd forgotten what a beautiful voice James Blake has. Anyone see Michael Kiwanuka last time? Lovely sound also.

Disappointed on the guitar front. I think Heavy Lungs might be a bit too much for me. I'm pushing on. Anything beyond Murder Capital territory stretches me.

And I'm mildly depressed about Other Voices. So many great shows there over the last few years, Margaret Glaspy, Murder Capital, Julia Jacklin, Seamus Fogerty, David Keenan, Whenyoung, Stella Donnelly. Lovely, intimate atmosphere. Can't see them replicating that. I'm pretty invested in Body and Soul and Jerry this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Looks like I’m being dragged along to this as a group of friends have a spare ticket, hopefully can get the likes or a Steven Wilson, Tool or anathema so I’ve a bit more to look forward too and can tick a few more acts of my bucket list. Or if I’m really lucky carcass, there playing primavera so a man can dream they blew the roof off of vicar street last time I caught them.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭desk tidy

Saw Kamasi Washington in the Olympia last week - so good. Would love it if he showed up at EP or atn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Looks like I’m being dragged along to this as a group of friends have a spare ticket, hopefully can get the likes or a Steven Wilson, Tool or anathema so I’ve a bit more to look forward too and can tick a few more acts of my bucket list. Or if I’m really lucky carcass, there playing primavera so a man can dream they blew the roof off of vicar street last time I caught them.

IZjmjAL.jpg

Advertisement