Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

IZjmjAL.jpg

I’m aware, Wilson’s the only half realistic shout I have. Still there a few decent songwriters lower on the bill that should be interesting to check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Just noticed they've added a small tribute to John Reynolds on the EP site. Fairly honest statement from Benn!

https://www.electricpicnic.ie/news/memory-john-reynolds

What's the thinking on this new festival? Obviously its not going to compete with the EP? So must be a completely different target audience.

Some said earlier EP could shift towards young and more mainstream, with the new festival being aimed at the older alternative punters.

But looking at the EP line up I'd suggest the other way around?

Edit I'll rephrase that, EP line up. I think they've for a slightly older demographic, headliners are not really alternative!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Looks like I’m being dragged along to this as a group of friends have a spare ticket, hopefully can get the likes or a Steven Wilson, Tool or anathema so I’ve a bit more to look forward too and can tick a few more acts of my bucket list. Or if I’m really lucky carcass, there playing primavera so a man can dream they blew the roof off of vicar street last time I caught them.

I’d love to see some if those acts at EP,but not a snowballs chance in hell of happening.Luckily I’ll get to see Carcass at the Dynamo Metal Fest in Eindhoven in July,don’t worry I’ll spread good word about EP,Carcass in the Electric Arena,I’ll get it sorted :D.........:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Quick trawl through the stuff I don't know has been a little unfulfilling. I've got Strokes, Christine, Echo, James Blake, Jarvis, Roisín, the Streets, Courtney, Michael Kiwanuka, Mitski, Bodega, Serpentswithfeet, Sons of Kemet. Anyone there I really love? Not yet, though Courtney has potential and I did love the Strokes in their pomp. Serpentswithfeet and Sons of Kemet have potential to be special gigs, I think. And I'd forgotten what a beautiful voice James Blake has. Anyone see Michael Kiwanuka last time? Lovely sound also.

Disappointed on the guitar front. I think Heavy Lungs might be a bit too much for me. I'm pushing on. Anything beyond Murder Capital territory stretches me.

And I'm mildly depressed about Other Voices. So many great shows there over the last few years, Margaret Glaspy, Murder Capital, Julia Jacklin, Seamus Fogerty, David Keenan, Whenyoung, Stella Donnelly. Lovely, intimate atmosphere. Can't see them replicating that. I'm pretty invested in Body and Soul and Jerry this year.

Caught Kiwanuka both times. 2012 on main stage I found a bit bland but mainly as his material at that time wasn't great. 2017 in the Electric Arena was exceptional but I was already a convert. Love & Hate easily my album of 2016. Yes, even more than Blackstar. Hopefully they keep him in the tents again.

Fully agree re Other Voices and I hope it's only for this year. A big loss for EP if they don't return, and worse if they pitch camp elsewhere.

Check out Let's Eat Grandma, good tunes and very good live.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah he was definitely one of my highlights of 2017....

Very few there to watch him though

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Caught Kiwanuka both times. 2012 on main stage I found a bit bland but mainly as his material at that time wasn't great. 2017 in the Electric Arena was exceptional but I was already a convert. Love & Hate easily my album of 2016. Yes, even more than Blackstar. Hopefully they keep him in the tents again.

Fully agree re Other Voices and I hope it's only for this year. A big loss for EP if they don't return, and worse if they pitch camp elsewhere.

Caught Kiwanuka towards the end of his set, he really milked love and hate :) although I didnt want it to be over, what a talent!

Foals new music out on Spotify! I know they have the trinity gig but would love to see them added!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Seathrun66 wrote:

Thought they were excellent at primavera last year and been waiting since for an Irish show. Should be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Seathrun66 wrote: »

sweetie wrote: »
    Thought they were excellent at primavera last year and been waiting since for an Irish show. Should be great!

First song I played was a bit poppy for me. I'll go again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 suec8451

When is second announcement??
    When do times for stages and artists come out??
    First timer... soooo excited!!
    Hiii! ðŸ–ðŸ–

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Where are the rumours of Childish Gambino coming from?

I don't see it likely given his European tour is pretty much finished in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Stillill42 wrote: »
    First song I played was a bit poppy for me. I'll go again.

Saw them at Primavera a few years ago, wasn't impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Glastonbury lineup out this morning should make everyone feel better about the EP line up. Just goes to show it is a weak enough selection across the board this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Fatfrog wrote: »
    What's the thinking on this new festival? Obviously its not going to compete with the EP? So must be a completely different target audience.

Some said earlier EP could shift towards young and more mainstream, with the new festival being aimed at the older alternative punters.

But looking at the EP line up I'd suggest the other way around?

Edit I'll rephrase that, EP line up. I think they've for a slightly older demographic, headliners are not really alternative!

it's being advertised as a "family festival". I'm thinking more kids areas and arts and crafts, than any particularly notable bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

suec8451 wrote: »
    When is second announcement??
    When do times for stages and artists come out??
    First timer... soooo excited!!
    Hiii! ðŸ–ðŸ–

Second announcement is whenever FR feel like it, stage times will be the week of the festival

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Glastonbury lineup out this morning should make everyone feel better about the EP line up. Just goes to show it is a weak enough year across the board this year.

I'd gladly swap EP's lineup for Glastonbury's. The Cure, The Chemical Brothers, Lauryn Hill, Vampire Weekend, Tame Impala and Kylie Minogue (she'd be good fun).

I'd even take Snow Patrol over The 1975, and that's saying something.

Glastonbury lineup out this morning should make everyone feel better about the EP line up. Just goes to show it is a weak enough year across the board this year.

Agreed. Some great stuff but overall its pretty unexciting. If EP gets the acts I expect then I reckon we'll have one of the better European festivals this Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

just to list the line up here

https://twitter.com/jowhiley/status/1106489398621814784

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'd gladly swap EP's lineup for Glastonbury's. The Cure, The Chemical Brothers, Lauryn Hill, Vampire Weekend, Tame Impala and Kylie Minogue (she'd be good fun).

I'd even take Snow Patrol over The 1975, and that's saying something.

Oh yeah of course I would prefer the Glastonbury lineup, but that is the best festival in the world. The majority of acts announced for it are already playing in Ireland this summer though. I'd imagine the Strokes and Florence would appear pretty high up their poster if they were announced for Glasto.

• Advertisement

you could take the top 2 lines off the Glastonbury poster and it'd still be a way better line-up than EP.

you could take all those acts off the Glastonbury lineup and it'd still be a better festival than EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭The Davestator

you could take the top 2 lines off the Glastonbury poster and it'd still be a way better line-up than EP.

you could take all those acts off the Glastonbury lineup and it'd still be a better festival than EP.

It never fails to amaze me.

You do know that you don't have to go? Or that you don't have to post in a EP thread?

It never fails to amaze me.

You do know that you don't have to go? Or that you don't have to post in a EP thread?
    yeah, but I'm not sure why I'd do that seeing as I like the EP lineup and would like to go. :confused:

You do know you don't have to reply to my posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Acosta wrote: »
    Starting to go off topic now so going to stop soon.

Please, yes.

Ah nostalgia... it just isn't what it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Been loving the tuff city kids remix of this, will check her out

Georgia - Started out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFnnxmb7Z9g&start_radio=1&list=RDvFnnxmb7Z9g&t=0

Nah. Daft. And you're also comparing the monster that is Glasto to a festival that's still only announced half of its main acts. Try again in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

The word that immediately springs to mind seeing that Glasto line up (and lots of other festivals this year) is 'safe.'

You have to get a few lines down before you see anything really interesting and, even then, we're hardly breaking the mould with Lizzo, Kamasi Washington, Idles or Rosalia!

As always, it's a busy bill - you'd have no problem finding 20+ bands there; I've already got that many from the first announcement - but there's not a lot there that really sets Glasto apart this year, other than the sheer scale of the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The initial glasto announcement is dull as ditchwater. The glasto fanatics will try and tell you otherwise but it’s weak. Still delighted I have a ticket though :pac:

Much like the EP announcement there’ll be loads more to come that will probably make the poster look better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

MadYaker wrote: »
    The initial glasto announcement is dull as ditchwater. The glasto fanatics will try and tell you otherwise but it’s weak. Still delighted I have a ticket though :PAC:

Much like the EP announcement there’ll be loads more to come that will probably make the poster look better.

The Killers, Liam Gallagher, George Ezra etc is just so... dull...

Like I said, I'd have a super weekend if I was there - Maribou State, Lizzo, Idles, Kamasi, Interpol, Sharon Van Etten, Jon Hopkins, Jungle, Pond, Janelle Monae, Lauryn Hill, Vampire Weekend, Tame Impala, Stormzy - that's an excellent bill. I just don't see a huge amount on the very top to get excited about which is the case across the world this year when it comes to headline acts really. Some good, some bad, lots that is very familiar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

My only real question is "how has Jo Whiley managed to have never seen The Cure?"

Advertisement