Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSE Airtricity Dublin Half Marathon 22 Sep

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

In exciting race news, the course has changed due to Farmleigh being used for official state business. The changes are using Whites Road instead of going through Farmleigh and then taking a shortcut around the 11 mile mark by using the road in front of the American Ambassador’s Residence. Maybe a bit more climbing as a result?

half-whites-road.jpg

The previous route (used in 2016 and maybe other times before) was here:

Half-Marathon-2018.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Singer wrote: »
    In exciting race news, the course has changed due to Farmleigh being used for official state business. The changes are using Whites Road instead of going through Farmleigh and then taking a shortcut around the 11 mile mark by using the road in front of the American Ambassador’s Residence. Maybe a bit more climbing as a result?

half-whites-road.jpg

Half-Marathon-2018.jpg

Yeah decent climb alright,about a km from gate to the top of whites road (17m), but you get it back in the next km back down to the Park (-20m)......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Lets hope this goes away before the weekend too!! Telling folks to stay out of the park today, and Zoo closed!

http://www.thejournal.ie/zoo-phoenix-park-closed-4243998-Sep2018/?utm_source=twitter_short

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭ooter

Yeah it's a half mile from the gate to the top of the hill, tough oul climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Anyone know how secure the bike parking is in the designated area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Singer wrote: »

half-whites-road.jpg

Half-Marathon-2018.jpg

Maybe I’m missing something but it looks to me that going out the back of Farmleigh is longer than going through it but the start & finish are the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Trampas

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Maybe I’m missing something but it looks to me that going out the back of Farmleigh is longer than going through it but the start & finish are the same?

You don’t go as far down chesterfield avenue at mile 10-11

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Van.Bosch wrote: »

They've changed the route slightly between mile 10-11, by the ambassadors residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Trampas wrote: »
    You don’t go as far down chesterfield avenue at mile 10-11

Cheers - I see it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jlang

Do the blue cups and bottles on the map meant to indicate whether it will be cups or bottles at the relevant water stops? i.e. two of each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

bottles 3 and 9 miles, cups at 5.5 and 11

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭S_D

Can anyone advise on parking, I have not a clue where to try and park as I dont know the area well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

S_D wrote: »
    Can anyone advise on parking, I have not a clue where to try and park as I dont know the area well :(

If you're getting there early, apparently parking in the park is relatively easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Pink11 wrote: »
    If you're getting there early, apparently parking in the park is relatively easy.

I'm not sure about that, the people who predicted the numbers for the Pope's visit were saying earlier they're expecting about a million people in the park tomorrow;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Does anyone know where the bicycle parking will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I could be wrong here but isn't it usually near the information tent on Furze Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Going to miss tomorrow now. A heavy dose in the week, it has improved since but not enough. So the rest is best for me. Best of luck to all running, hope ye all get around safe. Looking forward to the reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Nyone got an elevation map for this? I don't have strava unfortunately. Or at least tell me where I should be taking it handy

Thank you v much

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dorado99

Is there a storage area for bags? And how do I attach by runner number I got in the post? First time doing a run.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Nyone got an elevation map for this? I don't have strava unfortunately. Or at least tell me where I should be taking it handy

Thank you v much

Singer posted one near the start of the thread. It's not the exact route because of the deviation at Farmleigh but it's close enough.

dorado99 wrote: »
    Is there a storage area for bags? And how do I attach by runner number I got in the post? First time doing a run.

The info book mentions safety pins available at information desk near the start line.
    There is a baggar area, you need the baggage tag which is at the bottom of your race number.

Good luck all.

• Advertisement

Singer posted one near the start of the thread. It's not the exact route because of the deviation at Farmleigh but it's close enough.

The info book mentions safety pins available at information desk near the start line.
    There is a baggar area, you need the baggage tag which is at the bottom of your race number.

Good luck all.

Thanks, I saw that but I don't have a strava account so it appears I don't have access to the elevation map, I can just see some of his splits and a gps map of the course.

Surprised there isn't one on the website for DCM. Will check their FB now.

Good luck all

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I've screenshotted. Sorry my Strava is in km!

Thank you so much. Very very appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

That hill at the end gets me everytime!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭ooter

Perfect conditions, not too warm and very little wind which is very unusual for the PP.
    Stayed behind the 1:40 pacer till the 8 mile marker and then dropped the hammer, came home in 1:35, delighted with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Really well run event. A night and day difference from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Came in bang on 2 hours.

Delighted with a new PB but kinda wish it was 1 second faster for a sub 2.

Perfect conditions!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

I haven’t done a half since Dublin last year but I’ve done plenty of other races since so was hoping to get a significant PB, but White’s road and the climb at 19km really took their toll on me. Still PB’d by 15 seconds so can’t complain. Excellent event though, I never did the half in Phoenix park before, the layout is great, just a pity my only memories of it are either running up hills are very long drags; it was way more challenging than I had expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

Enjoyed it today which is a first for me in a race! The new route in the Park was spot on and conditions were perfect.
    5 minutes PB for me behind the 1.40 pacers at the start caught them and stayed with them for the first 5 then tipped on.
    Might have taken another 1/2 mins off time if hada gone on my own from the start but chuffed with the result :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Trampas

Anyone find whites road slippy under foot. Like the sap from the trees had covered it.

Advertisement