Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSE Airtricity Dublin Half Marathon 22 Sep

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Thank you for your sage advice.

You're welcome. Hopefully you'll grow as a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Casey78 wrote: »
    I saw one fella just drop a bottle where he was running in the middle of a pack instead of throwing it to the side. I said it to him that someone could get badly injured if they stepped on it. He just told me to F off and mind my own business.
    Anyway apart from that little incident I enjoyed the day immensely. Got a PB of 1:47 also.

Cannot believe the response from that runner! How rude.

I had a great race yesterday, really enjoyed it but I also came across some really poor "race etiquette" from other runners yesterday.

I saw the same problems with bottles, people not looking before throwing them to the side. I also saw a guy take 2 sips and drop an almost full bottle at their feet... the rest of us were left dancing around it trying to avoid twisting our ankles. Who in their right mind thinks it's ok to do that?

I have a big issue with this carry on it's really dangerous. In my first marathon, at around mile 21ish a lad threw an almost full bottle without looking and it slammed me in the chest full force winding me. Had a really terrible shock and I always have a fear of it happening again.

I also had a much bigger and taller runner speed up, shove me (I'm a 5ft 1 female) out of their way AND then jumped in front of me, even though I was going faster than them so I spent the next minute trying to get out of that unnecessary bottleneck they created for me :pac:

I get there was a bit of chaos for the first 2 miles due to the mix up in the waves (signs did not correspond to where the pacers were) and I'm ignoring all of the scuffling and crossing over people without looking but the above happened around mile 6.

The majority of runners are always great, whether it be shouting words of encouragements to a fellow runner who stops or slows down or sharing out water, gels etc. It's normally full of great people and I've met so many wonderful people through this hobby but I wish everyone could be more vigilant and considerate during races.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I saw a lady take a drink from a bottle and then throw it as far as she could out onto the grass.

The thing was, she was about 200 yards before that last water stop on Acres road, if she had held onto it for less than a minute she could have dropped it into the big bins or at least thrown it with all the other bottles on the ground that will get cleaned up.

There were no other bottles around where she threw it, it won't be seen there. Don't know what she was thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Is there not complete overkill on the water stations etc., for a 1/2 marathon?

Personally, I didn't take on any water/gels etc., for the duration.
    I may be wrong, but if you are well hydrated prior, you shouldn't really need anything in yesterdays' conditions for ~2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

While I am complaining, god I am sick of that guy droning on for an hour before every race, do we really need to listen to that constant prattle every single time?

I love that guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭galwayspur

frash wrote: »
    I love that guy

Same as. He does a great job and is a natural on the mic. I've done the Dublin Half Marathon in the Park 4 times now and yesterday was a perfect day for it. Happy with a new PB at the end of a run which I felt heavy legged throughout.

Thanks to all involved in a great race.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yevon wrote: »
    Also, is there a technique to drinking water from a cup on the run? Ended up choking and coughing on both water stops where I attempted this!

I skipped the cups stop and jsut took the bottles as choking and coughing is the only way to do it apart from stopping afaics

• Registered Users Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Yevon wrote: »
    Also, is there a technique to drinking water from a cup on the run? Ended up choking and coughing on both water stops where I attempted this!
    Squeeze the opening of the cup in the middle (so it forms an 8), tilt to the side, and drink from the lower opening. Takes a bit of getting used to

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Izoard wrote: »
    Is there not complete overkill on the water stations etc., for a 1/2 marathon?

Personally, I didn't take on any water/gels etc., for the duration.
    I may be wrong, but if you are well hydrated prior, you shouldn't really need anything in yesterdays' conditions for ~2 hours.
    How many water stations were there? I have a feeling my answer is going to be yes, btw. This is overkill century after all.  Unless the weather is unexpectedly warm I'd think 3 to 4 stations should be plenty. If you think you're going to keel over, bring a bottle of your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

duffer247 wrote: »
    Big shout out to the 1:40 Pacers, they were great. Seem to take the hills fairly handy (I usually fall way off) and make up ground on the downhills. Pushed on at mile 11, and crossed comfortably under 1:40

Yep that was the plan to bank a little time to give back. We cruised mile 12 a little slower than average pace and with that being a net downhill it gave everyone a little breather before the hill at the beginning of 13. Seemed to work for most of the group and quite a few pushed on over the last half mile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

blackwhite wrote: »
    I think the issue was that the times for each wave were only sign posted at the back of each pen instead of the front. Caused a lot of confusion
    Really enjoyed it, great event.

Minor caveat? I felt sorry for the pacers: the printed boards stated that Wave 1 was to be sub-100 mins. I duly went back to the second pen. Cue minor drama when the 02:10 balloons take up their position in Wave 2. I was part of the surge fleeing to Wave 1.

Full transparency.
    I was a sub 2.00 hour pacer yesterday.
    There was some confusion as to what pen we were to start in given the 'signage'.
    From our understanding of the signs (& after asking one of the marshalls), we started in what we understood to be Wave 2.
    The runners around us were all targeting sub 2 hours so it made sense to us.

If our start position had a negative impact on anyone, I apologise and take full responsibility. (my fellow pacer is one of the most popular & experienced pacer's around, we just had to make a judgement call based on our understanding of the signs.)

Despite the confusion, hopefully we had a positive impact overall & helped many of you achieve your target time.

Given the hill at the end, it is one of the more difficult courses to guide people around; it's a fine line between banking too much time early on to allow for the final climb & running perfectly even splits.

Overall it was a well organised event, if a bit tight for space for many sections.

Congrats to all finishers & well done to anyone who managed a PB.

Hope to see some of you again in 4 weeks for a slightly more challenging 26.2 miles, it'll be a huge plus if weather conditions are as benign as yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Seageebee

Didn't cross the finish line first though...[/QUOTE]

Obviously didn't cross line first if she finished second!!!

Still a fantastic run starting well over 30 seconds behind yet finishing within 2 seconds of winner, not sure if they (i.e. first and second) got to race the last section. I know chip time doesn't count in a race but still a great run! Not many people start 30-40 seconds behind the line and end up on the podium.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

Turned up to this with little expectations but was very happy to get a PB. Started with the 1.30 pacers (who were great btw) and was able to stick with them and push on a bit at the end for a 1.29.10 PB. This was after a busy week and a few pints Fri night.
    2wks ago in Ratoath in good conditions, better prep and a flatter course I blew up at mile 8 and had to slow, goes to show you never know.

Personally, I didn't take on water but since people usually complain about lack of water, it was well covered by the organisers. The way the weather has been lately it could have been a hot day and people crying out for hydration.

T-shirts run a little small I think? I'm a medium but needed a large now. (the previous mediums still fit!)

The first few miles we quite congested. Repeating what others say here a lot but... people with headphones in packed races. Now I train with headphones and would probably like to try it in a race, but in one this congested they were not safe till maybe when we came out past the back of the zoo and it spread out a bit. Twice in those early busy sections, I was nearly flat on my face due to guys with headphones and no awareness of those around them. Weaving left and right, stepping in front of others. I've seen it in the marathon too, people tripped up, a guy smashing into a tree around Crumlin a few years ago as he tried to step out of the way of a runner with headphones cutting across him.
    In a race this congested, either keep to the side, move back or keep one ear free or something. If someone went down in those first few miles then it'd be a domino effect. I know others will say they need music etc., that's fine, I can empathise with that. But not if they want to start up front and not pay any attention to those around them.

Other than that a great race, perfect running weather and thanks again to the 1.30 pacers.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

You know I think the issues I experienced with people weaving without looking and causing destruction in their path were all headphone wearers too!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 AlanPat

jb-ski wrote: »
    blackwhite wrote: »
    I think the issue was that the times for each wave were only sign posted at the back of each pen instead of the front. Caused a lot of confusion
    Really enjoyed it, great event.

Minor caveat? I felt sorry for the pacers: the printed boards stated that Wave 1 was to be sub-100 mins. I duly went back to the second pen. Cue minor drama when the 02:10 balloons take up their position in Wave 2. I was part of the surge fleeing to Wave 1.

Full transparency.
    I was a sub 2.00 hour pacer yesterday.
    There was some confusion as to what pen we were to start in given the 'signage'.
    From our understanding of the signs (& after asking one of the marshalls), we started in what we understood to be Wave 2.
    The runners around us were all targeting sub 2 hours so it made sense to us.

If our start position had a negative impact on anyone, I apologise and take full responsibility. (my fellow pacer is one of the most popular & experienced pacer's around, we just had to make a judgement call based on our understanding of the signs.)

Despite the confusion, hopefully we had a positive impact overall & helped many of you achieve your target time.

Given the hill at the end, it is one of the more difficult courses to guide people around; it's a fine line between banking too much time early on to allow for the final climb & running perfectly even splits.

Overall it was a well organised event, if a bit tight for space for many sections.

Congrats to all finishers & well done to anyone who managed a PB.

Hope to see some of you again in 4 weeks for a slightly more challenging 26.2 miles, it'll be a huge plus if weather conditions are as benign as yesterday :)
    If you're the lady managing the 2 hour pace thanks for your support. If you're the lady that managed the 2 hour pace thanks for the heart attack (please tell me the marathon is 5 weeks, not 4...)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 d7guy

Fantastic to see all the different types of runners
    Out on the course enjoying a great days running.
    It was great to see a couple of the Cherry Orchard running club guys pushing the wheelchair around ,don't know how you guys did it very inspirational to us "ordinary" runners feeling sorry for our self's as the pain kicked in ...fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

AlanPat wrote: »
    If you're the lady managing the 2 hour pace thanks for your support. If you're the lady that managed the 2 hour pace thanks for the heart attack (please tell me the marathon is 5 weeks, not 4...)

She's Marthastew on boards but don't think she posts anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

On Saturday, I had a lose target of trying for 1:40, I wasn't gonna be upset if I didn't make it. Haven’t been racing in some time and really needed this run to tell me if 3:40 could be on the cards for DCM.I needed a confidence booster as the vast majority of my training is easy running on our club plan.
    It was a great family day for me, three brothers and my sister all ran. At the start I had the same confusion as many others and lined up in the wrong section. Only for I saw some club mates who pointed me in the right direction.
    I found another two Kilcoole club mates who I knew to be of similar pace and goals, so I made the decision to work with them. We discussed the pace and we would aim for 4:45 per km. I am not used to such big races, and it took a while to get used to the congestion, but eventually space began to open up.

After about 5k the 1:40 pace balloon came into sight, it got closer and then we found that our pace brought us ahead of them.
    It was great to see Beepbeep there pacing, and I knew he would see me and that gave me another push to stay ahead. I powered down the hills to increase the gap on them, confident in the uphill sections. Any time I heard Beepbeep, it was time to move...
    I felt comfortable throughout, my goal was not to red line, I probably could've gone faster downhill and in later stages, but I kept it steady.
    Passed many people who struggled on the 'hills' ... when you do a season of mountain running, the term hills is very relative. I did a 5k race in June, it had 800m of climb. The DCM half has no hills ;)
    On the last mile or two one of our group of three pushed on, but that was fine, the work had been done by then. I got 1:38:45 and wasn't spent at the end. It gives me confidence in the training done for far and maybe a 3:40 DCM is possible. #teamwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

wrote:
    Didn't cross the finish line first though...

Obviously didn't cross line first if she finished second!!!

Still a fantastic run starting well over 30 seconds behind yet finishing within 2 seconds of winner, not sure if they (i.e. first and second) got to race the last section. I know chip time doesn't count in a race but still a great run! Not many people start 30-40 seconds behind the line and end up on the podium.

I was watching the race so i moved around a bit to see the front end of the race, I probably say the leaders at 6 , 9 and 13 miles. The winner of the mens race had over two minutes lead at 6 miles and kept pushing on from there. I think 2nd and 3rd help position from that point on.

For the women's race it was much harder to work out positions but the winner led through all of my vantage points and the eventual second place lady moved through the field , i had her 3rd or 4th at 6 miles and 2nd at 9 and 13miles. I called out positions to the top 5 at the 9 mile marker as i felt it was difficult for them to know their positions as they were running among the men and would not have had clear sight of the other female runners at all times. At the bend coming on Furze Road there was a gap of about 10 seconds with only two or three male runners between them so it would have been a straight race to the finish from there. The leader was aware there was a runner chasing her

I actual thought the second place runner would have caught the leader before the line so there was most likely a bit of a sprint finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Hey, Running Fool, I disagree absolutely with this: I know others will say they need music etc., that's fine, I can empathise with that. But not if they want to start up front and not pay any attention to those around them. 
    Why is it fine if the organisers say otherwise? Would ya see (and this is a dumb analogy coming up!) a fella at Wimbledon saying he needs his music to play a 5 setter?

By the way, what was the official line on headphones? I know a lot of races ban them or at the very least ask runners not to use them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Itziger wrote: »
    How many water stations were there? I have a feeling my answer is going to be yes, btw. This is overkill century after all. Unless the weather is unexpectedly warm I'd think 3 to 4 stations should be plenty. If you think you're going to keel over, bring a bottle of your own.

Think there were 4 in total. If they are there, people will use them, but I don't think they are necessary either physiologically or from a waste perspective.
    On the other hand, I managed to start without any Vaseline on board - 6km I veered off course to the Red Cross ambulance, which was kitted out like Vincent's hospital - not a jar of Vaseline in sight:eek: Anyways, got sorted 11km in - the nice Red Cross guy asked me did I need a hand applying it..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

Itziger wrote: »
    Hey, Running Fool, I disagree absolutely with this: I know others will say they need music etc., that's fine, I can empathise with that. But not if they want to start up front and not pay any attention to those around them. 
    Why is it fine if the organisers say otherwise? Would ya see (and this is a dumb analogy coming up!) a fella at Wimbledon saying he needs his music to play a 5 setter?

By the way, what was the official line on headphones? I know a lot of races ban them or at the very least ask runners not to use them.

Yeah makes sense, Just trying to see both sides of it. People train 100% of the time with headphones, they want it in a race - I can see that. A comfort thing, routine. I think they'd be fine without it though and if anything they miss some of the atmosphere - people cheering etc. Even the camaraderie and chat of running with a pacing group. Dunno what the official line was.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Yep that was the plan to bank a little time to give back. We cruised mile 12 a little slower than average pace and with that being a net downhill it gave everyone a little breather before the hill at the beginning of 13. Seemed to work for most of the group and quite a few pushed on over the last half mile.

Yep, worked perfectly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

What would you need vaseline for? Nipples? underarms?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    What would you need vaseline for? Nipples? underarms?

Yeah, I forgot to apply some for the Connemarathon and felt it later on and driving home due to the seat belt. Thighs can be another area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Went out to enjoy myself on Saturday so I set a target of 1:50. The pacers ended up 400 metres ahead at the start. I let them get further ahead by running a little conservatively at the start. I kept my pace steady. It was funny to see people pass me and then I pass them
    continuously except they were running in these spurts and then falling back then going for it again. I didn't see them after nine miles. With four miles to go I knew I would survive and went from 8:30 to 7:50 for the last four miles and ended up 400 metres in front of the pacers. It was nicely paced and I was not wrecked afterwards, which were my two goals.

I really like this race. Phoenix park, early Saturday morning, huge crowds, high energy, great buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I think they had the same one more drinks station compared to the last time it was on that course (2016). Certainly the mile 3 and mile 9 were there, and I'm pretty sure around the 6 mile mark too*. There were 4 this year, 2 bottles and 2 cups. I suspect they had this one as a trial phase out of bottles to cups to see how people felt about that, hence the added station as a compromise from the usual 3 bottle stops. The last 4 miles can be quite tough without a drink if needed. I recall a few people struggling and asking for water on the hill around mile 12 a couple of years back.

September can be a funny month in Ireland, it can be quite cool generally but the odd hot day is very much a possibility. I think it's due to be 20 degrees this Thursday for example, not exactly a roaster but hot to run in.

If I were the organiser here I'd tend to err towards the side of too much water rather than too little. It's not that long ago (2015 I think) where a young man died around mile 12. Bearing in mind the uphill stretch and lung-busting charge to the finish line, the risk from dehydration there could be quite dangerous. Consider also the potential culpability of the organisers and reputational damage from that sort of thing for an organiser, much easier for us as competitors to be detached and view too much as being quite wasteful, which I accept it may be. Also, you're not obliged to take the drink if you feel you don't need it.

*Checked, yep, there were 3. https://www.facebook.com/dublinmarathon/photos/a.420615423184/10154274930473185/?type=3&theater

On the race itself, good day out I must say. I like the course, the distance and the size of the crowd doing it. The 1:50 pacing group was fairly large in numbers, nearly a fairly rough moment near the start where walkers in wave 1, (from a running club I won't name but from where this seems to happen a lot) were nearly stampeded. No issues with anyone walking obviously but a bit of common sense from all concerned would be advisable. They were walking side by side in a group of about 3 or 4, with no real awareness of the posse coming behind them. It was dangerous for them and dangerous for the large pack of people either having to swerve them or being caught by somebody jumping in front of them.

Anyone else in the pack with the squirrel deciding to join us and nearly getting itself squished? A hairy moment for some of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I don't think anyone has ever died from dehydration at a race in Ireland. I don't think anyone is going to suffer dehydration because there is only water at miles 3,6,9 and the finish line, and not also at mile 12. And water won't cure a heart attack.

If people want an extra water station, then sure, no harm providing one, but there is no health issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

My 4th year in a row doing this race and Saturdays just gone I found to be a fantastic event.

Its been a couple of years since I got under the 1.45 mark for a half, but came home in 1.44 on Saturday , was delighted with myself, gave myself a real shot of confidence for what lies ahead in advance of marathon day, I wasn't expecting that time on Saturday .
    Loved the route, water/drink stations in plentiful supply, I don't drink much on a half marathon anyway so doesn't really bother me where/when the stops were located.

Superbly organised this year, well done to the team for making it such a great event , same auld complaints and whinges you hear from people post race, but sure it goes on at every event.

A hugely positively day for me last Saturday in the phoenix park, well done all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

ooter wrote: »
    I know it's only a small thing but well done to the organisers on having paper water cups, much safer having paper water cups rather than plastic, much less risk of slipping on a discarded paper cup on the ground.

One of the provisos of the race taking place in the park from the OPW was that 50% of the water stations had to be cup only and the other 50% could be bottled water.

Advertisement