Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSE Airtricity Dublin Half Marathon 22 Sep

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

“Anyone else in the pack with the squirrel deciding to join us and nearly getting itself squished? A hairy moment for some of us.”

He must have been the model they used for the medal, only fair he gets to run a bit of it as well, I bet he had headphones on and didn’t notice the lot of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Absolutely loved this race on Saturday. The Phoenix Park was just glorious. I thought the organisation was top drawer. I had one hairy moment when I almost ran into people walking at about 4K or so but that was all. I had done the race before so I knew the hills were coming at the end. A few people had sped past me on the Acres road (I thnk it's called) and they looked like they were pushing for the line. I felt sorry for them as I met them again halfway up the next km!

Water stations...I thought the first one came too soon...the second one was cups so I didnt bother, the 3rd one I needed water as I was eating half an energy bar :-) but I couldnt get over with the crowd. Then I heard the wonderful 2 hour pacer shouting that she had water if anyone wanted it...so she gave me a bottle and away I went. Fair play to her.

I had given up on doing DCM ever again but Saturday gave me the bug back and I'm seriously considering getting back in the water next year!

Hopefully its back in the Park for good now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Jaysus my legs are still killing me. Did a 5 mile yesterday and another today and I am slow as a wet week after Saturday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Itziger wrote: »
    Hey, Running Fool, I disagree absolutely with this: I know others will say they need music etc., that's fine, I can empathise with that. But not if they want to start up front and not pay any attention to those around them. 
    Why is it fine if the organisers say otherwise? Would ya see (and this is a dumb analogy coming up!) a fella at Wimbledon saying he needs his music to play a 5 setter?

By the way, what was the official line on headphones? I know a lot of races ban them or at the very least ask runners not to use them.

Official line was not to wear them...
    Having nearly broke my ankle on the R&R half due to a headphone wearer I would see the point now in a ban.
    Completely oblivious to ones or others surroundings as stated on the flyer its for everyones safety especially with such a packed field..

6674 (or so) finishers out of 9500? Sounds like a very high drop out rate to me?

All that aside happy out i got a PB myself...I think

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

So you're saying every runner that wears headphones is a danger to non-wearing runners? Utter rubbish

It comes down to the person themselves, not giving a damn bout other people around them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I remember in the Killarney half last year having to poke a headphone wearer to get out of the way of an ambulance with full sirens on. She was completely oblivious and if looks could kill .....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

colin32 wrote: »
    So you're saying every runner that wears headphones is a danger to non-wearing runners? Utter rubbish

It comes down to the person themselves, not giving a damn bout other people around them

I don't think that's what they're saying at all. But even the most conscientious runner with headphones will miss things that someone without headphones won't, given that one of their senses is impaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Everybody thinks, "I'll wear headphones, but it's okay! I'll keep the volume low and I'll be totally aware of my surroundings!"

:rolleyes:

Maybe those headphone-wearers with spider-senses do exist somewhere, but the ones I see are oblivious to other runners, to marshalls, to wheelchairs, to motorbikes...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

RayCun wrote: »
    Everybody thinks, "I'll wear headphones, but it's okay! I'll keep the volume low and I'll be totally aware of my surroundings!"

:rolleyes:

Maybe those headphone-wearers with spider-senses do exist somewhere, but the ones I see are oblivious to other runners, to marshalls, to wheelchairs, to motorbikes...

+1
    I was a 2hr pacer in 2015, when there was a tragic incident at the race.
    There was an ambulance trying to get through the crowd and was being badly held up by runners who could not hear that an ambulance was coming behind them. The siren was loud, so most of the headphone runners around us, had the volume at a level that they had no idea what was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

Izoard wrote: »
    +1
    I was a 2hr pacer in 2015, when there was a tragic incident at the race.
    There was an ambulance trying to get through the crowd and was being badly held up by runners who could not hear that an ambulance was coming behind them. The siren was loud, so most of the headphone runners around us, had the volume at a level that they had no idea what was happening.

A really irresponsible post, the route access and numbers of runner was the impediment for access of emergency services. There was no finding or implication that runners with headphones were culpable suggesting that is bordering on offensive.
    You don't approve of headphones fair enough, state that and leave it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

More of an issue for runners, rather than people wearing headphones, is people starting in waves, where they're obviously not quick enough for.

I'm no Mo Farah, but I know my level and start in roughly the correct place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

estariol wrote: »
    A really irresponsible post, the route access and numbers of runner was the impediment for access of emergency services. There was no finding or implication that runners with headphones were culpable suggesting that is bordering on offensive.
    You don't approve of headphones fair enough, state that and leave it there.

I purposely didn't connect the two and I generally have no issue with people running with headphones.
    I've no idea if the ambulance was tied to that specific incident - but it was what it was - that ambulance, at that time, was unnecessarily held up by runners with headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

More of an issue for runners, rather than people wearing headphones, is people starting in waves, where they're obviously not quick enough for.

Let's agree that they're all eejits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 backofthepack

Really enjoyed the race, i was thankful for the waved start seeing as i was queueing so long for the toilets!

The pacers were brilliant, I kept the 2hour pacers in sight and made sure i was well ahead of the 2.10's so got a pb of 2.01 so i was delighted :)

Very well organised and enjoyable :)

I kept the 2hour pacers in sight and made sure i was well ahead of the 2.10's so got a pb of 2.01 so i was delighted :)

You need to change your username ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 backofthepack

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    You need to change your username ;)

:D

Advertisement