Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ParkingTag.ie auto top up warning

Options
  • 03-09-2018 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭

I was in Dublin back in Jan/Feb and had no change for the car parking meter so saw that it was possible to use this service. Signed up and topped up so I could park.

Never used the service again but I received a charge on my revolut card for "Payzone" which I didnt recognize so immediately thought it was fraud.

Anyway after looking at it further I trace it back to the service and it appears they have been charging a 0.50c monthly maintenance fee to the balance that was left on my account and had an auto top up when it reached 10E... So basically allowing them to continually charge, deplete funds and then auto top up again.

There is no way to stop this auto top up other than cancelling the account.

It's this type of bullsh*t that stops people from moving away from cash...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's very clear on their site
    When the balance of the account reaches the low balance threshold the system will automatically top up by your nominated amount using your registered credit/debit card.

You should have just used the One Off option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

It's very clear on their site

You should have just used the One Off option.

It's not clear when signing up perhaps this has improved but I was using a mobile device when signing up.

I don't believe a practice which basically exhausts all available credit for a service that isn't used and then proceeds to top up just to exhaust again is a very ethical business practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Xcellor wrote: »
    I don't believe a practice which basically exhausts all available credit for a service that isn't used and then proceeds to top up just to exhaust again is a very ethical business practice.

I agree but sadly it's common practice now with toll tags and even shopping vouchers - the dreaded monthly 'admin.' fee for them doing sod all.

I recently got an e-mail from Easytrip informing me how wonderful it was that I could now use my toll tag to park in Dundrum Centre. What they conspicuously failed to point out was that by activating my tag for parking, I would incur a never-ending additional admin charge of €1.23 per month, even if I never used a car park that accepted the tag for payment.

Caveat Emptor

Right cancelled and will get the amount refunded.. Obviously excluding the fees for maintaining an inactive account. Lesson learned.

I wouldn't have noticed this only for Revolut card giving me notifications of money taken. Very useful service!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I wouldn't have noticed this only for Revolut card giving me notifications of money taken. Very useful service!

You wouldn't normally check your statements otherwise?.... Er, OK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I'm always amazed at how many people do not regularly review charges on their credit card statements.

Cabaal wrote: »
    You wouldn't normally check your statements otherwise?.... Er, OK

After being a victim of fraud for about 3000 euro I always check my statements however a 10 euro charge which appears as parking on a statement issued weeks later is very easy to overlook or attribute to something that you paid in cash.

Revolut gives an update the moment the charge registers which means it can be reviewed much quicker. i.e. I was in bed sunday morning and my phone tells me I've authorized a charge for 10 euros to a company in Dublin giving me the ability to block the card until I was satisfied where the charge came from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Right cancelled and will get the amount refunded.. Obviously excluding the fees for maintaining an inactive account. Lesson learned.

I've this new fangled thing called online banking - not sure if others know about it, but a couple of clicks and I can see ALL transactions whether debit card, direct debits or cash withdrawals.

Rather amazing gizmo and its all on a little app on my phone. :P

What I'd hate is a little "ting ting" for every transaction I make - If my banking app did such a thing, I'd turn it off immediately.

As for your issue - I've used same system and chose the one time payment option and don't even think I saw an "account" option.

But sure its very easy to blame someone else for your own error.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    I've this new fangled thing called online banking - not sure if others know about it, but a couple of clicks and I can see ALL transactions whether debit card, direct debits or cash withdrawals.

Rather amazing gizmo and its all on a little app on my phone. :P

What I'd hate is a little "ting ting" for every transaction I make - If my banking app did such a thing, I'd turn it off immediately.

As for your issue - I've used same system and chose the one time payment option and don't even think I saw an "account" option.

But sure its very easy to blame someone else for your own error.

I have perm TSB online banking so can only compare against that. It doesn't provide anywhere near the visibility and flexibility of revolut card

I didn't blame anyone. I just shared my experience to warn anyone who may have inadvertently used this option.

I don't believe a system that automatically tops up to pay for an admin fee for an account that is dormant is ethical or decent; even if it's legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Can I ask what you mean when you say 'visibility'? I use PTSB and transactions appear immediately on our online account. The date, description and amount.

A Revolut account/card definitely has more modern services available compared to your traditional bank.

• Advertisement

Can I ask what you mean when you say 'visibility'? I use PTSB and transactions appear immediately on our online account. The date, description and amount.

A Revolut account/card definitely has more modern services available compared to your traditional bank.

Any preauthorized charges are not shown until they are collected. Some vendors place a hold on funds until they ship the product then they collect the funds.

I've found in the past that transactions take a while to appear for credit cards i.e. date of transaction versus date of posting transaction.

Being able to block/disable and set funding limits and notifications imo is a much more secure.

Advertisement