Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i stay or should i go?

Options
  • 03-09-2018 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I guess i know the answer i just have to "unload". I have been stuck on this job for quite a while now but due to my (laziness) i am still there even thou my initial thoughts were that i will not work there longer than six months, it has passed two and a half years and i'm still there. Problems with the workplace started right from the start. I have been promised one thing and gotten something completely different, on top of that almost all parts of my contract have been breached since the time i started working in this company (overtime not being paid or paid partially because payments are made weekly and sometimes they pay your overtime or should i say hours over the course of couple weeks period which makes you not being able to track it what so ever, brakes not being given or compensated for if not given meaning half hour brake is unpaid and if you work through it you basically worked for free, cash payments for Christmas or Jazz weekend work even thou you have a full-time contract and have to clock in for work every day at the start of your shift but they bypass that rule by telling you not to clock in on those days, insults/harassment/bullying by managers is not uncommon and a lot of staff left because of that, and many more...).

I know that i have to leave because it has started to affect my health (both mental and physical). In November 2016 about 7 months after i started working for them i experienced severe chest pains (i thought it was heart attack but given i was 29 at the time it didn't make much sense) i finished that shift with the pain and tomorrow morning called in sick and went to doctor who then sent me for all sort of tests (x-rays/ekg/bloods...) because he himself wasn't sure what was wrong with me (he suspected either heart/lungs or stomach) and in the end it was stomach (gastroenteritis), and ever since i have problems with that one (probably ulcers i guess). So today i printed out my two weeks notice but i haven't handed it in yet because i don't have another job lined up. I wanted to talk to my manager about that decision before i hand it in because i want to leave on good terms and get my reference which should be very good given the fact that in those 2,5 years i work for them i only had about two weeks of sick days and was late for work only once (compared to other staff members that are late almost every day). Given the fact that i am a foreigner getting another job probably won't be easy so i feel trapped.

I didn't take any legal actions as i know it would not yield in the results that i would want (fat cash cheque for all the pain and suffering they caused and to mention all the laws they broke) and even my union representative proved to be completely useless because he knows all of that and nothing has been done to correct the situation except for couple of apology's from managers for insults/harassment/bullying and that's it. All other options are BS if you ask me and would take ages to be sorted and in the end it wouldn't change anything major for me so what's the point.

I'm sorry for bad English as it is not my main language.

Advertisement