Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tweets don't show

Options
  • 03-09-2018 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭

Have noticed in recent times that when posting a Tweet that just a link is shown (in Touch and Full) now rather than the actual Tweet in a post, even with the little arrow beside the link facing upwards or downwards the Tweet does not show.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi GM228,

Are you using the Legacy or Responsive site when using the Full Site? And is this on desktop or also on mobile? What browser and OS are you using? Do you have browser extensions or add-ons running, and what are they? Finally, is it only happening on tweets that you post (and do you have a link to an example) or on any post containing a tweet?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mark, we're having the same problem in CVPL - with Vivaldi you see the full tweet, but not so with Firefox (legacy). Not sure about other browsers.

Boards.ie Employee

Would you have links of posts that are impacted for reference? Are you running an extension or add-on like AdBlock?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm not sure about AdBlock, I didn't add it myself, but I couln't tell you if it's "built in" by default.

Here's an example:

The full tweet is shown in Vivaldi (for instance) but in Firefox you only see the URL with the little arrow up/ down beside it, but even if you click it nothing happens..

https://twitter.com/XplodingUnicorn/status/1035597823121809416

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Does this happen only in work? Some firewalls will block the display of the tweet etc

• Advertisement
    Boards.ie Employee

Hmmm, this one works fine for me in Firefox (61.0.2 (64-bit)) . Have you been able to try this on a different PC with Firefox?

No, it's on my laptop at home.

Sorry, that "no" was for Dudara. I haven't tried anywhere else with firefox bar the library a few months ago but I honestly can'tremember whether it worked there or not.

Quite a few people seem to be affected, a lot have asked for tweets to be banned 'cause they can't see them (although, unlike images from twimg.com, you can at least see the tweet's URL if you want to open it in a new window, whereas the images from twimg.com are showing as blank posts).

Boards.ie Employee

Spear tried to help a user with this issue before, but it looked more like a browser issue than anything on our end: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057661520

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This could be due to a browser blocking third party cookies, which Twitter insist upon.

• Advertisement

So, same issue with both, I guess. What I find weird is that some browsers seem to handle this, while others can't. Go figure!

Now, having said all that, I assume this is the same problem the OP is having, but I don't actually know.

EDIT: I hadn't realised this had started as back as 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Hi GM228,

Are you using the Legacy or Responsive site when using the Full Site? And is this on desktop or also on mobile? What browser and OS are you using? Do you have browser extensions or add-ons running, and what are they? Finally, is it only happening on tweets that you post (and do you have a link to an example) or on any post containing a tweet?

Legacy and Responsive both not working and happens for any Tweet, mine or otherwise.

Have not tried recently on anything other than mobile, but wondering if it is in fact a browser issue, as it won't work on Samsung Internet, but just checked and works on for example Chrome, odd thing is they worked fine until recently and there have been no settings changes or Apps updates.

Advertisement